• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#2 du_new.gifVS uaa.gif#9

#3 bucky.gifVSmsumankato.gif#8

#4 cc.gifVS umd.gif#7

#5 umn.gifVS scsu.gif#6

I'll say it again.

The UMD/CC and SCSU/UMN series could go either way without too much surprise, IMO. All others would have clear cut favorites/upset possibilities.

You all know that I would watch UND games over all else, but I think the UMD and UMN series have the largest potential to be out and out entertaining games.

DU in 2 - they roll both nights over uaa

UW in 3 - UW friday, MSU saturday in OT, UW sunday in a tight game

UMD in 3 - i like this UMD team, just a gut feeling on this series. 2 very good goaltenders

SCSU in 3 - i like SCSU in 3 games and each game will have 8 or more goals combined.

Posted this in the other thread but it's more applicable here...

#1 UND vs. #10 Michigan Tech - UND wins in 2

-Combine UND being on a tear with Michigan Tech being the worst team in college hockey and you have a sure sweep. Being at home won't hurt them either. I can see Tech MAYBE stealing a game by getting a early lead on some fluke goals and then just being super defensive the rest of the game, but I don't see that outcome as very likely. I don't think much of an explanation is really needed here, MTU is just flat-out outmatched.

#2 Denver vs. #9 AA - DU wins in 3

-I really see this as being a close series. Sweeping UMD gives AA some big time momentum going into this series, and DU is coming off a hard fought game with CC. Although I think DU is more talented, AA will ride that momentum and steal at least one win I think. I could actually see them pulling off a miracle and winning this series.

#3 BADgers vs. #8 Mankato - Wisconsin wins in 2

-However much I hate thinking that the BADgers might sweep Mankato, I see it happening. Connelley played great last night from what I saw, and Wisco's D looked very solid. Mankato is a very streaky team and Zacharias might steal one for them, but I'm not feelin it. Badgers sweep.

#4 CC vs. #7 UMD - UMD wins in 3

-Count me as someone who is thoroughly unimpressed with CC. Bachman has been a roller coaster, and I think Stalock is the better goalie this year. Duluth will be focused on shutting down that killer top line of CC, and if they can do that, I think Stalock can handle the rest. I see a low scoring series here, with all the games being decided by a goal or two. That being said, UMD might be down and out after AA and they could come out and get crushed both games. This is the hardest one for me to pick.

#5 GOPHERS vs. #6 St. Clown - GOPHERS win in 2

-Although it was only MTU, Kangas getting a shut out and the D playing like they did early in the season should give both Kangas and the team some much needed confidence. Being 4-0 against SCSU this year doesn't hurt either, and the Gophers will be HUNGRY to win these games. If this was in St. Cloud, I could see a 3 game series and the winner being either team, but Mariucci will be rocking and the Gophers are so much better at home than they are on the road. Friday: 5-4 Gophers, Saturday: 3-0 Gophers.

That would mean the play in game is:

#5 GOPHERS vs. #7 UMD

-I think the Gophers have UMD's number this year, and match up great with them. I was actually hoping we would play them instead of the Huskies, but I think UMD will be beat up after a tough series with CC.

And then there was 4...

#5 GOPHERS vs. #1 NORTH DAKOTA

-The homer in me really wants to pick the Gophers, but I just can't do it so I'm going to make an argument for both teams...

Minnesota: Obviously revenge is going to be a huge factor here. We got stomped in every way possible in the 2 games up in Grand Forks, and that was when Kangas went into his infamous 2nd half sophomore slump. I could see him standing on his head and the Gophers top line taking over like I thought they would the first time around. The Gophers also are very very good at the X.

North Dakota: The #1 seed doesn't lie, and the Sioux are peaking at the right time, just like they usually do. They OWNED us the first time around, and for all I know that could happen again. The Sioux are much deeper than the Gophers, and that's going to cause a problem for us.

-Really, it's a rivalry game with so much on the line...if this happens, it can really go either way, records aside.

#3 BADgers vs. #2 DU

-I like the BADgers here. They have so much talent on D, and that talent will finally emerge on the big stage. I'm also not terribly impressed with DU, and I know I'll get ripped for saying that. I hate the BADgers, but something in my gut tells me they will get it done.

Then the Championship...

-If my scenario plays out, I see the winner of UND/Minnesota beating Wisconsin. UND is just plain better than them, and I thought Minnesota was the better team for the majority of the games where we got swept at Mariucci. That being said, Minnesota is probably in the tournament no matter what if they make it to the championship game, so I could see the Gophs coming out terribly flat.

Just my opinion obviously, and I know many of you will disagree. Take it for what it's worth (not much), but I'll take some constructive criticism or arguments if you have them.

That would mean the play in game is:

And then there was 4...

#5 GOPHERS vs. #1 NORTH DAKOTA

-The homer in me really wants to pick the Gophers, but I just can't do it so I'm going to make an argument for both teams...

Minnesota: Obviously revenge is going to be a huge factor here. We got stomped in every way possible in the 2 games up in Grand Forks, and that was when Kangas went into his infamous 2nd half sophomore slump. I could see him standing on his head and the Gophers top line taking over like I thought they would the first time around. The Gophers also are very very good at the X (which is virtually a home game for them).

Yawn. I fixed your post for you.

#4 CC vs. #7 UMD - UMD wins in 3

-Count me as someone who is thoroughly unimpressed with CC. Bachman has been a roller coaster, and I think Stalock is the better goalie this year. Duluth will be focused on shutting down that killer top line of CC, and if they can do that, I think Stalock can handle the rest. I see a low scoring series here, with all the games being decided by a goal or two. That being said, UMD might be down and out after AA and they could come out and get crushed both games. This is the hardest one for me to pick.

[

Did you watch our team get swept by CC a few weeks ago? I also saw them give the conf champs all they could handle.

Anything can happen but I think CC is the darkhorse in the F5 right now.

It would be a barnburner if we end up playing CC on Fri nite of F5.

The Gophers got the best possible first round matchup they could have hoped for. Gophers struggle against anyone with at least decent defense because their own defense is bad enough that they give up plenty of goals for the opposition. If anyone can stop their top line or two, Gophs struggle. SCSU plays the least amount of defense in the WCHA (besides Minnesota). I'm not going to say Gophers will get an easy sweep, but I think SCSU is the best matchup FOR the Gophers.

Everyone on the SCSU train after they got swept by the Gophers twice this year?

Splitting @ Tech to finish the regular season isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for Minnesota. The Gophers got an awful lot of help from other teams' losses this weekend. Bottom line is at the time the game was played they needed a win Friday and didn't get it done. It was not until they knew everyone else lost Friday night that they got a second chance at a must-win game. Kudos to them for winning Saturday, but it's not like SCSU won't be capable of giving the Gophers a run for their money.

#2 du_new.gifVS uaa.gif#9

#3 bucky.gifVSmsumankato.gif#8

#4 cc.gifVS umd.gif#7

#5 umn.gifVS scsu.gif#6

Sioux sweep Tech, though Tech is a solid team.

DU sweeps AA.

The Purple Cows to upset Bucky in three. They are a difficult team to play against.

CC is hot, and I don't see UMD beating them. CC in two, as the Bulldogs continue their late season slide.

SCSU should beat the Gophers this year, but they don't really think they can, so they won't.

So, Thursday, the Gophers lose to the Purple Cows, which means all TC residents boycott the Final Five on Friday and Saturday, because they thought the Gophers were supposed to be automatically advanced.

Friday, CC beats DU in OT and the Sioux beat the Purple Cows. Plenty of good seats available!

Saturday, DU beats the Cows for third and CC beats North Dakota in OT.

This puts CC, DU and UND in the NCAA's, Bucky and the Gophers left out.

Hey AZ, we'll be at RT O'Sullivan's Friday, will you?

UND in 2 over MT

AA in 3 With 2 over time games

UW badgers are going to ride sugar, get revenge for two weeks ago

Stalock, Stalock will be the key in UMD's best of three over CC

and it doesnt matter who wins between UM and SCSU, Staylock will post a shut out and Duluth will beat them in the play in game..

Now for teh rest of the final five.

UND will finnaly stop staylocks hot streak by postign 4+ goals

UW will beat AA with ease

UW wil secure its NCAA bit with a hard fought 3-2 victory to will the Final five.

I will be at the CC/UMD series this weekend and provide game analysis...

Esox

UND in 2

DU in 2

Wisconsin in 3

CC in 3

SCSU in 3. I don't think the Gophers can beat them 6 times in one season.

Everyone arrives tired except the Sioux and Pioneers to the X and the Sioux with the home town crowd wins another trophy to add to the display case. Also gets to sew some more stitching on some more banners.

UND in 3. My heart tells me sweep, my gut tells me it'll go 3.

DU in 3. UAA plays much better on the road.

CC in 2. That ball rolling down hill for UMD will reach the bottom Sat. night.

'Kato in 3. Just a hunch here.

UMinny in 2. JanU is too soft even for the Gophs not to light them up.

F5 play in: 'Kato over UM.

Semis:

UND over 'Kato

CC over DU

3rd place: DU over 'Kato

Title: UND over CC

Addendum: If I'm wrong and UM makes the semis, all bets are off. "Home ice" those next 2 games would be huge!

To me Tech looked pretty bad this past weekend.

Sioux in 2 over Tech

Denver in 3 over AA. Alaska has some spunk but not enough against Denver.

Badgers in 3 over Mankato. Mankato is another late charging team but Bucky impressed me this past weekend. If they play like they did on Saturday they will be tough for anyone to beat.

CC in 2 over Duluth. Unsure why Duluth is swooning. They deserved 2 points in the Friday night game against MN but since then have not shown much. CC is a very good team.

MN in 2 over SCSU. As others have said it's about as good a matchup as MN could have asked for. With the friendly PWR bump after winning one game against Tech and getting SCSU I think somewhere the hockey gods are smiling on Lucia. SCSU has not been a big game team for a few years, are 0-4 against MN, and as others have pointed out are the perfect team for MN to exploit. SCSU does have a chance against MN's porous D. The key may come down to goaltending. Weslosky can be a world beater and he can be a sieve. Same with the gopher goalies. I just lack too much confidence in SCSU to give them a game. I'm wrong about a lot of hockey stuff, and I hope this is one of those times.

MN in 2 over SCSU. As others have said it's about as good a matchup as MN could have asked for. With the friendly PWR bump after winning one game against Tech and getting SCSU I think somewhere the hockey gods are smiling on Lucia. SCSU has not been a big game team for a few years, are 0-4 against MN, and as others have pointed out are the perfect team for MN to exploit. SCSU does have a chance against MN's porous D. The key may come down to goaltending. Weslosky can be a world beater and he can be a sieve. Same with the gopher goalies. I just lack too much confidence in SCSU to give them a game. I'm wrong about a lot of hockey stuff, and I hope this is one of those times.

I pretty much agree, but the Hockey Gods seem to be smiling on Lucia in spite of his team's play. This is the playoffs, and they actually have to win this series to advance, not let other teams take care of business for them. SCSU has a real opportunity here.

I pretty much agree, but the Hockey Gods seem to be smiling on Lucia in spite of his team's play. This is the playoffs, and they actually have to win this series to advance, not let other teams take care of business for them. SCSU has a real opportunity here.

As much as I would love to see the Golden Rodents do down to defeat, I don't think SCSU can beat them twice.

As much as I would love to see the Golden Rodents do down to defeat, I don't think SCSU can beat them twice.

UM is about as much of a lock to win their series as there is of the 5. JBSU is so soft and such a one trick pony with Roe/Lasch that this is a 2 game sweep with neither game being close. I could see UM winning each 6-2 or 6-3. UND will get more of a test from MTU.