SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball

UND Fan

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UND lost to Mary tonight 86-54. No, that is not a typographical error. This is truly a new low. At this point, I'm not sure this team will win a single NCC game, and a 20-plus loss season appears likely. Aside from home games against Morris, Crookston and Bemidji, there aren't many games on the schedule where this team could possibly be considered a favorite.

I believe Roger Thomas has a serious decision to make in the very near future. With the resources and history of basketball at UND, I don't believe there's any excuse for the program to have sunk this low.

I take no pleasure in writing this post, but I think it needs to be said in no uncertain terms. Whether it's fair or not, when you compare the mens basketball program over the past dozen years to the other three highest profile sports at UND--hockey, football and womens basketball--the mens basketball program really pales in comparison in terms of achievements.

Since Dave Vonesh last played in 1991, UND has won one (shared) NCC title, that being in 1995. During the same stretch (post-1991), the football program has won or shared six NCC titles and a national championship, the hockey team has won four regular season WCHA titles and two national championships, and the womens basketball team has won or shared six NCC titles and three national championships.

While a national championship may not be in the cards, I don't think it's too much to ask to win an NCC title ever three or four years considering what this program has done in the past--eight Elite 8 appearances (most were before it was known as the Elite 8), 18 NCC titles and 19 NCAA tournament appearances. Yes, some of these were accomplished by Rich Glas, but his best success occurred in the 89-90 and 90-91 seasons. That's a long time ago, and in retrospect it would appear that Greg McDermott had more to do with the success than did Glas. If the football, hockey and womens basketball teams can be consistent contenders, why can't the mens basketball team do it?

Simply not winning national championships or NCC titles would not be enough in my opinion to fire somebody, but a string of embarrassing losses over the past several years has been too much to take. Bemidji St. (twice), Minot St., UMC and now Mary. Before last night, at least the losses were close ones and arguably flukes. Losing by 32 is not a fluke. Managing zero NCC titles and a one-and-out NCAA appearance during the two-year career of one of the most talented players ever to play dII basketball isn't exactly much of an accomplishment, either.

If Rich Glas cannot see the handwriting on the wall and step aside of his own volition for the good of the program, then he needs to be shown the door, and the sooner the better. Perhaps he could be a fund-raiser or be given a job in administration, but a basketball coach he is not. With a new facility set to open, the athletic department cannot afford to have a mens basketball program that very few fans will be interested in seeing. Sixteen years of Rich Glas is more than enough. It's time to move forward.

If Rich Glas cannot see the handwriting on the wall and step aside of his own volition for the good of the program, then he needs to be shown the door, and the sooner the better. Perhaps he could be a fund-raiser or be given a job in administration, but a basketball coach he is not. With a new facility set to open, the athletic department cannot afford to have a mens basketball program that very few fans will be interested in seeing. Sixteen years of Rich Glas is more than enough. It's time to move forward.

I like Rich Glas as a person and I think he would be a great UND athletic or UND Alumni person to help with fundraising, but his time as a basketball coach should be done.

The two things that really concern me about the basketball program are player retention and the high number of jucos being brought in. When you have in-state players that are 5th year seniors suddenly decide to leave and play elsewhere, it should be sounding the alarms that something isn't right.

I realize Glas has always brought in juco players, the difference now is that they're depended upon to be the whole team versus bringing in guys like Rico Burkett and Bo Powell to compliment the situation and fill a hole on an already solid team. Yes, UND hit the jackpot with Jerome Beasley, but for every juco that pans out, there seems to be a couple that don't like Myron Allen and Robert Lollar.

It's my understanding that UND never even made much of an attempt to recruit Tyler Koenig (the Fargo North star that is now a freshman at DI Wisconsin- Green Bay). Now maybe Koenig had his heart set on DI all along, but at least by actively pursuing him, there's always a chance a player like him might come back to UND if things don't work out.

The two things that really concern me about the basketball program are player retention and the high number of jucos being brought in. When you have in-state players that are 5th year seniors suddenly decide to leave and play elsewhere, it should be sounding the alarms that something isn't right.

I realize Glas has always brought in juco players, the difference now is that they're depended upon to be the whole team versus bringing in guys like Rico Burkett and Bo Powell to compliment the situation and fill a hole on an already solid team. Yes, UND hit the jackpot with Jerome Beasley, but for every juco that pans out, there seems to be a couple that don't like Myron Allen and Robert Lollar.

It's my understanding that UND never even made much of an attempt to recruit Tyler Koenig (the Fargo North star that is now a freshman at DI Wisconsin- Green Bay). Now maybe Koenig had his heart set on DI all along, but at least by actively pursuing him, there's always a chance a player like him might come back to UND if things don't work out.

Koenig was never going to UND and it was made pretty clear early on.

Koenig was never going to UND and it was made pretty clear early on.

How would you know? He had offers from other DI schools but chose Green Bay because the coach showed a commitment to him that the other schools didn't. His whole family has ties to UND- his brother graduated from there a couple of years ago and his sister (along with his 2 1/2 year old nephew) is there now. It wouldn't have taken a whole lot of effort for UND to recruit a kid 75 miles down the road. Who knows, maybe he changes his mind like Scott Guldseth did a few years ago and decides he wants to be closer to home.

The 32 point loss to an NAIA school that didn't even exist when I was at UND back in the 60's led me to look up the scores of the teams they used to play during the Fitch/Jackson years. While they lost most of the road games to D-I teams, they were never humiliated like they were this week. Some non-conference games back then:

62-63

Loyola 110-56 L

Bradley 90-57 L

Montana 95-83 L

Alaska

Sorry, didn't finish the BB scores from the 60's.

62-63

Loyola Lost 110-52

Bradley Lost 90-57

Montana Lost 95-83

Alaska Won 75-62

Alaska Won 77-57

Alaska Won 66-47

Alaska Won 78-62

Mont. St Lost 78-73

63-64 First Fitch Team

DePaul Lost 80-50

Loyola Lost 92-54

Marquette Lost 74-65

Montana Lost 79-77

Mont. St. Lost 79-59

Colo. St. Lost 73-54

Air Force Lost 77-61

Bradley Lost 84-72

64-65

Bradley Lost 75-72

DePaul Lost 86-58

Montana Won 71-62

Mont. St. Lost 71-69

Loyola Lost 73-57

Iowa Lost 106-65

Air Force Won 61-54

65-66

Minnesota Lost 73-59

Bradley Lost 83-68

DePaul Won 85-74

Valparaiso Won 112-82

So. Illinois Lost 69-61

Akron Lost 76-71

66-67

Bradley Lost 89-77

DePaul Lost 82-47

N. Mich. Won 88-76

Loyola Won 93-92

New Mexico Lost 84-64

W. Illinois Won 106-74

I don't know how these teams would have fared against NAIA competition. At least, it they got beat by big scores, it was to big time competition.

How would you know? He had offers from other DI schools but chose Green Bay because the coach showed a commitment to him that the other schools didn't. His whole family has ties to UND- his brother graduated from there a couple of years ago and his sister (along with his 2 1/2 year old nephew) is there now. It wouldn't have taken a whole lot of effort for UND to recruit a kid 75 miles down the road. Who knows, maybe he changes his mind like Scott Guldseth did a few years ago and decides he wants to be closer to home.

I know, trust me.