SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball

UND Fan

Aaron Austin had some real personal problems that had nothing to do with basketball, UND or Coach Glas. It had been hoped that, once practice started, this would help him get focused and get his head on straight. Obviously, that didn't happen.

I have no inside knowledge on this but I would hope that he can get over this and may come back to UND and the team.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen Nobles but I understand that he would be a combination of Munlin and Berg. Probably not quite the floor general that Munlin was but a better shooter.

I don't think we should be too down about the performance against the Trotters. They are good and we have so many new faces that had been practicing for just over a week. Plus, we scored 51 points against them in the second half. Losing Austin has really hurt in that he was to be our consistent o/s scorer. Not sure who will fill that slot now - Johnson, Jacobson, etc.

It will be a very interesting year. Not sure how good we will be but I don't think it will be a disaster!

Losing Austin has really hurt in that he was to be our consistent o/s scorer.  Not sure who will fill that slot now - Johnson, Jacobson, etc.

It will be a very interesting year.  Not sure how good we will be but I don't think it will be a disaster!

I'm not expecting much outside shooting from Johnson. He'll knock down an occasional three-pointer, but I suspect he'll get most of his points off put-backs and drives. Parks and Nobles will probably make some treys, but the majority of the outside shooting will probably have to come from Lindahl, Jacobson and Bradley. Austin's departure probably means that Bradley will need to play more than what he otherwise would have. He is a very good shooter, but he certainly doesn't have the athletic ability or strength of Austin.

Some more bad news for the Sioux - Josh Doyle, the freshman point guard out of Iowa (being red-shirted this year) tore his ACL late last week. He was looking very good in practice. Surgery will be next week. Provided he heals up OK, he will be a good one but missing a few months of practice certainly doesn't help his development.

Mike Gutter, the 6'7' power forward out of Milwaukee, is working very hard and improving. He has gained 15 pounds over the summer and fall and still may be growing. He could be a dandy power forward in a couple of years.

The is a chance that Aaron Austin could be back with the team next year - has a lot of challenges to overcome personally. This is really too bad about him - the coaches feel that he was easily the best athlete on the team!

The Sioux are looking at a power forward and a point guard (he can play the 2 position) during the early signing period. Both are freshman, one out of MN, the other WS. If we don't land either of them, we probably won't sign anyone early. Not much scholarship $ available. This will be a challenge as we have so many juniors - lots of holes to fill after next year but little money to bring kids in before a year from now.

With SDSU and NDSU gone you shouldn't have much problem winning with the conference with the cast that you have. I feel the Jacks have all the tools to win

the conference and go far into the tournament!

SDSU's departure will certainly weaken the NCC in basketball. However, in terms of mens basketball, NDSU's departure will probably not have much of an effect in terms of altering the competitive balance of the league. During the past 30 years, NDSU has won just one outright title and one shared title.

I don't disagree with you on that point. Even with all your departures I believe

UND will be in the top half of the conference. I'm going to miss the harrasing the big kid this year! He loved to play off the big crowds in Brookings

Yup, I see it. What does it mean, other than Michigan State could beat UND? If you're stating that the Globetrotters competitive team is a good DI all star team, I knew that. I was just having fun with the fact that 90% of the UND fans were probably expecting buckets of water and confetti. :D

I am posting these scores without the intent to make a point but we do need to remember that the UND game came after only a few days of practice.

Trotters college schedule:

10/26 UND W 95-67

11/2 Michigan St. W 97-83

11/4 Siena W 108-75

11/8 Williams Col (?)

11/9 UMass

11/11 Syracuse

11/13 Ind-Purdue

11/15 UT-El Paso

Yup, I see it. What does it mean, other than Michigan State could beat UND? If you're stating that the Globetrotters competitive team is a good DI all star team, I knew that. I was just having fun with the fact that 90% of the UND fans were probably expecting buckets of water and confetti. :glare:

i recall from the earlier posts that you didn't even know there was a competitive trotters team.

Rich Glas was on the Coaches' Show on 1440 A.M. last night with Swygman and Hennessy. He didn't sound overly optimistic about the season. It sounds like they have a long, long way to go. I'm not very confident since it sounds like the team has some real defensive deficiencies. This probably wasn't the best year to agree to play on the road at two DAC-10 schools. Of course, I don't believe it's wise EVER to agree to travel to a lower division school as it's a no-win situation.

On the bright side, Roebuck did sound pretty enthusiastic about the womens' team. He said they will really get up and down the court. It sounds like the starting line-up will be Mahlum at the point, Perrizo at the 2, Leighton at the 3, Boese at the 4, and Demaine at the 5. Carissa Jahner, Jami Glick, Kelsey Maffin, Hausauer and perhaps Elias will be the primary bench players. As none of the other freshmen were mentioned (Werdell, Sannes or Draayer), I suspect some or all of them may be red-shirting.

Is it just me or is anyone else tired of losing to teams we should obviously and easily beat year after year. Tonight we lost to Bemidji State and last year we lost to the University of Minnesota-Crookston. Would we ever see a Gene Roebuck (sp?) team lose to either of these team, I think not. Why does Rich Glas continue to lose these games. Make no doubts about it UND is a premiere Division II school who should easily make the playoffs year after year, but has yet to even win an mens basketball championship. I personally think it is time to fire Rich Glas, he has proven nothing. For an example, take a look at the football team, get new coach and we win a championship.

Enough of my rant, get rid of Glas.

I was pretty upset with losing last night until I saw what happened to NDSU against Northern State.

They'd have been happy with a 2 point road loss to an NSIC team. Instead they took a 22 point road loss.

Basketball isn't the other NCAA team sports. You only really need three solid players (for the level you're playing at) to be good. That's why the NSIC has better success in hoops.

PS - If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Rich Glas' tenure ends when his son is done kicking for football. (That, plus he has two years left on his contract.) Think we could lure Phil Jackson to come back and coach at his alma mater "gratis" for a couple years before full retirement? :lol:???