SiouxSports.com Forum

is the rivalry back on, sooner or later?

YaneA

All signs seem to be guaranteeing a football game in 2012. Taylor has more or less sold himself on 2012 in order to avoid having to schedule UND in 2009-11.

And the great news is that other sports could be playing in 2010.

This is good news in my mind. The sooner the date is set, the sooner we can get passed all of the complaining and celebrating that will go on and than focus on the game itself. Also getting the other sports on board will be a great thing for both schools in my mind. For UND, playing NDSU or vice versa will be far better than playing Mayville St., Jamestown, etc. That is something I don't think anyone can argue.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I saw nothing in that article that suggests that NDSU will agree to an annual game. Everything Taylor has said in the past strongly suggests that he will not agree to an annual rotating game, and nothing in that article changes or contradicts that.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I saw nothing in that article that suggests that NDSU will agree to an annual game. Everything Taylor has said in the past strongly suggests that he will not agree to an annual rotating game, and nothing in that article changes or contradicts that.

The only way I see a guaranteed annual game is with UND in the same football conference as NDSU.

But I think we could see that by 2012.

The only way I see a guaranteed annual game is with UND in the same football conference as NDSU.

But I think we could see that by 2012.

With an 11 game schedule, I wouldn't want to lock in any out of conference team every year either. I'm betting we'll see a 2 of 3 year kind of a situation (Fgo, GF, Off). When you have 8 conf games, 1 FBS, and only 2 others, you really limit your opportunities to challenging yourself against top FCS competitionally nationally if the game is every year. I don't think it will be games every year.

As for und getting into the MVFC by 2012, what's your source? Yeah, I thought so.

With an 11 game schedule, I wouldn't want to lock in any out of conference team every year either. I'm betting we'll see a 2 of 3 year kind of a situation (Fgo, GF, Off). When you have 8 conf games, 1 FBS, and only 2 others, you really limit your opportunities to challenging yourself against top FCS competitionally nationally if the game is every year. I don't think it will be games every year.

As for und getting into the MVFC by 2012, what's your source? Yeah, I thought so.

You want a source for my opinion?

Ok, here you go:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?showtopic=11955

I really don't care one way or another when or even if the two schools start playing football against each other again. Both schools set attendance records last season, so other than an extra televised game for each school, and I suppose an extremely easy road game to get to for either schools fans, there isn't a whole lot to be gained for either school financially. Sure, we are having trouble putting together a home football schedule this season, but that is because of problems at Iona and Idaho St., not UND.

Where the schools could BOTH really benefit is if they were playing in basketball, volleyball, and every other sport. It seems a bit silly to me that there is this huge controversy over the football game, but nobody cares (the legislature, I mean) much about the other sports at both schools. The smaller revenue-sports (basketball/volleyball) an all of the non-revenue sports have the most to gain by the two schools playing one another.

If/when the football game does start up again, I admit I am in the camp that feel it should be played every year, rotating the location, whether or not they are in the same conference or not. Pretty much everything Taylor has said has indicated that he has no interest in sending NDSU up to Grand Forks, ever. However, Taylor has had a track-record of contradicting himself, expecially over the last month and a half. :lol: He has constantly reiterated his stance that in an 11 game season he only has 3 OOC games to schedule, and one has to be an FBS money game and he wants the other two to be home games. I find it interesting that Taylor has publicly targeted 2012 as the renewal date, because the following two seasons (2013,2014) are years where 12 games are allowed. He's targeting 2012 because he can send his team to GF one of those two seasons and still have 6 home games. Wonder if he plans on pulling the plug on the games in 2015?

The tough thing about scheduling it every year is that it significantly limits NDSU's OOC scheduling opportunities. The MVFC is big enough that we only have 3 opportunities (most years) for an OOC game. If one will always be a money game against a FBS school then there are only 2 OOC opporunities left. It is hard to see NDSU tying up one of those every year to play UND. I know that most Bison fans would not support that. A 9 team conference really limits you opportunities to see competition from other conferences.

I really don't care one way or another when or even if the two schools start playing football against each other again. Both schools set attendance records last season, so other than an extra televised game for each school, and I suppose an extremely easy road game to get to for either schools fans, there isn't a whole lot to be gained for either school financially. Sure, we are having trouble putting together a home football schedule this season, but that is because of problems at Iona and Idaho St., not UND.

Where the schools could BOTH really benefit is if they were playing in basketball, volleyball, and every other sport. It seems a bit silly to me that there is this huge controversy over the football game, but nobody cares (the legislature, I mean) much about the other sports at both schools. The smaller revenue-sports (basketball/volleyball) an all of the non-revenue sports have the most to gain by the two schools playing one another.

If/when the football game does start up again, I admit I am in the camp that feel it should be played every year, rotating the location, whether or not they are in the same conference or not. Pretty much everything Taylor has said has indicated that he has no interest in sending NDSU up to Grand Forks, ever. However, Taylor has had a track-record of contradicting himself, expecially over the last month and a half. :lol: He has constantly reiterated his stance that in an 11 game season he only has 3 OOC games to schedule, and one has to be an FBS money game and he wants the other two to be home games. I find it interesting that Taylor has publicly targeted 2012 as the renewal date, because the following two seasons (2013,2014) are years where 12 games are allowed. He's targeting 2012 because he can send his team to GF one of those two seasons and still have 6 home games. Wonder if he plans on pulling the plug on the games in 2015?

Did NDSU and UND sell out every football game last season?

OK then, shut up about not needing the game financially.

It's a guaranteed sell out you can pencil into the books. No other game does that save SDSU and USD.

Did NDSU and UND sell out every football game last season?

OK then, shut up about not needing the game financially.

It's a guaranteed sell out you can pencil into the books. No other game does that save SDSU and USD.

NDSU sold out every game last year(meaning every ticket was sold, though not necessarily redeemed). The only times the attendance dropped below the official sellout numbers were when the students didn't show. Other than concessions(most of which goes to the Fargodome), the student section doesn't add anything to the bottom line. As far as TV coverage goes, all but one home game has been televised during each of the past two seasons. Adding UND to the schedule doesn't mean another game would be televised, it just means it would replace one of the other televised home games. There would be no net change.

Now, UND, SDSU & USD are all in different situations. SDSU is the school that could benefit most from renewing its rivalry with USD as long as the game is held late in the season. The Jacks draw great crowds early in the season, so a USD game there wouldn't help much, but their attendance drops off sharply after Hobo Day. If they could alternate between NDSU and USD as their final home game, it would give them a really nice boost. UND is drawing reasonably close to the Alerus' capacity, so an NDSU game would help, but not be earth shaking. It's hard to tell how much effect an SDSU game would help USD, since they've been padding their figures worse than NDSU in the 70's and 80's. It would probably have an effect somewhere between SDSU's and UND's.

This opinion is limited to ticket sales and does not take into account any of the other factors, pro or con.

As for the rest of his post, it's become standard practice for Mpls to accuse posters of lying and telling them to shut up when they provide facts and reasoned opinions that he disagrees with. It's quite sad, and it's made him a joke on every messageboard he posts on.

NDSU sold out every game last year(meaning every ticket was sold, though not necessarily redeemed). The only times the attendance dropped below the official sellout numbers were when the students didn't show. Other than concessions(most of which goes to the Fargodome), the student section doesn't add anything to the bottom line. As far as TV coverage goes, all but one home game has been televised during each of the past two seasons. Adding UND to the schedule doesn't mean another game would be televised, it just means it would replace one of the other televised home games. There would be no net change.

Now, UND, SDSU & USD are all in different situations. SDSU is the school that could benefit most from renewing its rivalry with USD as long as the game is held late in the season. The Jacks draw great crowds early in the season, so a USD game there wouldn't help much, but their attendance drops off sharply after Hobo Day. If they could alternate between NDSU and USD as their final home game, it would give them a really nice boost. UND is drawing reasonably close to the Alerus' capacity, so an NDSU game would help, but not be earth shaking. It's hard to tell how much effect an SDSU game would help USD, since they've been padding their figures worse than NDSU in the 70's and 80's. It would probably have an effect somewhere between SDSU's and UND's.

This opinion is limited to ticket sales and does not take into account any of the other factors, pro or con.

As for the rest of his post, it's become standard practice for Mpls to accuse posters of lying and telling them to shut up when they provide facts and reasoned opinions that he disagrees with. It's quite sad, and it's made him a joke on every messageboard he posts on.

Bullsh*t.

They did not sell out Indiana State.

And certainly none of the Fargodome games had 19k+ attendance. As I said, only UND and SDSU are guaranteed to do that (maybe homecoming).

Bullsh*t.

They did not sell out Indiana State.

And certainly none of the Fargodome games had 19k+ attendance. As I said, only UND and SDSU are guaranteed to do that (maybe homecoming).

I could have gotten InSU mixed up with WIU, but so what? InSU is conference game; it's not going anywhere. The only games UND could have replaced last year were CCSU & Austin Peay at 18,701 and 18,868. All this fuss over a couple hundred more seats filled(but no additional tickets sold) for one game? Face it, adding UND to NDSU's schedule at this point would be a financial wash unless the ticket price for that game is raised. You tried this same trick(bringing up the worst attended game) with SUU back when we were in the GWFC. It didn't work then and it doesn't now. There are valid reasons for NDSU renewing the rivalry, but increased ticket sales is not one of them.

... unless the ticket price for that game is raised.

And we know NDSU fans would be against that and would never stand for that. :D

NDSU fans raised "Gehenna" when UND did that back in 200x (when Digger broke the kid from Dickinson's leg) and earned a Nickel.

However, that's what big-time programs do against big-time rivals. It's far from unheard of in Big Ten football, UND hockey, ACC basketball ...

NDSU fans raised "Gehenna" when UND did that back in 200x (when Digger broke the kid from Dickinson's leg) and earned a Nickel.

However, that's what big-time programs do against big-time rivals. It's far from unheard of in Big Ten football, UND hockey, ACC basketball ...

Digger also defeated Rob Hunt's block and stoned Rod Malone in the hole in the same play on 4th down in OT for the UND win.

That kid was nuts.

Actually, they call that price gouging. I certainly hope NDSU doesn't doulble the ticket price when the game does resume.

Also, Very classy bragging about a player breaking another players leg. You were probably upset he was able to walk again.

I could have gotten InSU mixed up with WIU, but so what? InSU is conference game; it's not going anywhere. The only games UND could have replaced last year were CCSU & Austin Peay at 18,701 and 18,868. All this fuss over a couple hundred more seats filled(but no additional tickets sold) for one game? Face it, adding UND to NDSU's schedule at this point would be a financial wash unless the ticket price for that game is raised. You tried this same trick(bringing up the worst attended game) with SUU back when we were in the GWFC. It didn't work then and it doesn't now. There are valid reasons for NDSU renewing the rivalry, but increased ticket sales is not one of them.

Lets first get facts straight: the Fargodome calls any game that sells 18700 or more tickets a "sell out". We both know that the Fargodome has close to 19k seats and a capacity over over 19k.

Yes, Central Conn. and Austin Peay both "sold out". Notice how the previous 2 season NDSU was 10-1 and ranked very highly?

Are those types of games going to "sell out" after 6-5 seasons? I guess we'll see.

Taylor has 1 game left to schedule for 09, the 5th home game, which will be a non conference game.

Tell me this: is there a single FCS team in the entire nation that isn't in the MVFC that would be a guaranteed sell out after a dissapointing 6-5 season and with Mertens still likely at the helm? There only three teams that could possibly be justified: Montana, Montana State and UND.

Which of those three have an open date that matches our Sept. open date? Which team has said that it wants to play us?

You can say that you're biased and that you never want to see UND in the Fargodome again. At least I can respect that as honest.

But don't try to pull the wool over our eyes. Don't try bullsh*t like that.

If they're going to play again, it should not happen any sooner than 2012 when both teams are playoff eligible.

What's the difference? Both teams are at full scholarships. I say we should schedule them in 09 if we don't already have a deal in the works with another team.

But IMO it's stupid to bring up a bottom rung OVC team when it's not guaranteed to be a sell out vs. bringing in UND for free and having a guaranteed sell out.

Well, HB1507 went down in flames. The final tally was 90-3 against. This means it falls into the small category of bills that ended with fewer yes votes than sponsors. Rep. Scot Kelsh from Fargo co-sponsored the bill but voted against it. The only other yes votes came from the other three sponsors; all from Grand Forks.

• 3 months later...

UND, NDSU athletic directors talk about renewing rivalry

There's word that athletic directors of the University of North Dakota and North Dakota State have started talking about renewing the schools' sports rivalry.

UND athletic director Brian Faison and North Dakota State athletic director Gene Taylor visited recently about the issue, KFGO Radio in Fargo reported this morning. Neither would predict when their schools would once again compete against each other, but some believe it could happen as early as the 2010-2011 season.

I want it but not on Kelly's terms from a few years ago where he wanted two UND visits and then it would be "revisited". Grand Forks needs a piece of the pie.

I want this game bad though. It will be a blast.

Did you mean on Taylor's terms??

There's word that athletic directors of the University of North Dakota and North Dakota State have started talking about renewing the schools' sports rivalry.

Good. The rivalry is great for both schools and the region.