SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Tickets

Fighting Sioux Hockey

I am wondering if anybody knows what exactly is going on with the student tickets in the lower bowl. I know they are going to be assigned but i am wondering how are they going to be assigned? I have heard that everybody is going to go into a lottery and that is how they are going to be placed but what about being able to sit with your friends?

I also understood that it is going to be all students put into this lottery so me who was at every game last year at 4:30 or 5 could possibly get worse seats than a fan who went to everyother game and sat in the upper deck. If this is the case I think this is the stupidest idea REA has thought of. I expect to get seats near where I sat last year. I don't think it is too much to ask.

I was usually in the first 8-10 rows and recognized the people that were there early every game. There are alot of die hard Sioux fans out there and we better not get screwed over by REA. If anybody can tell me more I would appreciate it.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am wondering if anybody knows what exactly is going on with the student tickets in the lower bowl. I know they are going to be assigned but i am wondering how are they going to be assigned? I have heard that everybody is going to go into a lottery and that is how they are going to be placed but what about being able to sit with your friends?

I also understood that it is going to be all students put into this lottery so me who was at every game last year at 4:30 or 5 could possibly get worse seats than a fan who went to everyother game and sat in the upper deck. If this is the case I think this is the stupidest idea REA has thought of. I expect to get seats near where I sat last year. I don't think it is too much to ask.

I was usually in the first 8-10 rows and recognized the people that were there early every game. There are alot of die hard Sioux fans out there and we better not get screwed over by REA. If anybody can tell me more I would appreciate it.

I emailed REA about this and they told me to check back in a couple weeks (that was 2 weeks ago, I think it was tickets@theralph.com). It appears they were not even ready for what the senate did. I'm with you...I was there at 3:30 (4:00 at the latest) and now someone who got there when the doors opened might get better seats than me. I have been getting there that early for 3 years (even earlier for the Gophers) and now I too feel like I am getting screwed.

Christ, quit your pissin! You get to see big time DI hockey in the nicest arena in the country for a very $mall fee....At least you don't have to listen to every idiot on the street talking about the Goofers "eight-peat" and watch the Woogster and Hairhat talk about the Golden Showers every week.....:) I gotta move...

Can of worms = open. :)

Blame the student senate if you must blame someone. I've said all along end/corner seats without the assigned seating would be better for everyone involved, but the student senate insisted on center ice seats. REA (or whoever is in charge of student seating) is just trying to implement a stupid idea.

I don't have a problem with assigned seats at all. If thats what needs to happen to keep a bunch of idiots from standing thats fine but what i do have a problem with is people who go to the game to socialize or show up at 7:00 because it is too cold getting better seats than me when I waited for my good seats thats all I want it a reasonable way to assign the seats. I can guarantee the regular public would be mad if REA said "You know what even though you gave $10000 just to get the opportunity to buy those seats we are going to put every seat in a lottery and thats how you guys will sit." It isn't a great example but it gives some people the idea of whats going on.

All students: PLEASE stop writing about anything regarding tickets on this forum. This board will not be supportive, thus it will end up being counterproductive. So please never mention anything regarding students and tickets in the same sentence. I am a student, so it isn't that I don't agree with any comments, but I cannot enjoy this board with the fighting that the comments always bring. Please follow this advice and everything will be better. :)

All students: PLEASE stop writing about anything regarding tickets on this forum. This board will not be supportive, thus it will end up being counterproductive. So please never mention anything regarding students and tickets in the same sentence. I am a student, so it isn't that I don't agree with any comments, but I cannot enjoy this board with the fighting that the comments always bring. Please follow this advice and everything will be better. :)

I thought that this forum was a place where anyone could come and voice their opinions on matters involving the Fighting Sioux. I agree that students should feel privileged to watch hockey at the REA and should feel lucky that tickets prices are very cheap for them. I feel that this is a great place for students to come and vent their frustrations toward certain policies and procedures that the University and REA implements. If it wasn't for this forum, I would not have clue how students were feeling on certain issues. I don't get the chance to talk to students about their ideas very often, so this place allows me to get a grip on some of their concerns. As a former student and now Alumni, I welcome the comments from students and look forward to hearing from them in the future.

The majority of people on here will react negatively towards student comments, as Blackheart and mksioux did. So it is anything but a great place for students to voice their opinion. Maybe if more people like yourself spoke up about hearing the student perspective, it would be a more comfortable environment. However, others lack some respect.

It seems rather silly to me that students aren't allowed to voice their concern over the fact theat they might get screwed out of seats that really they do deserve. Guys like MinnesotaNorthStar deserve the first choice of seats, because they are the guys who really care. WHen he gets stuck at the top of the first level and a bunch of other clowns who couldn't givea rip end up with seats behind the penlaty box, that doesn't seem fair to me. Worse yet, people won't even show up and those seats will go unused. That would stink. So get off his back. Everytime a student says anyhting about seating he is jumped all over and toold to quit whining. He should be allowed to say whatever he wants. And I sure don't want him to get screwed over like some Minnesota fans got screwed over last year.

Hey,

I understand where the students are coming from...I did my share of waiting out in the cold before the arena was open and maybe the current situation is not deemed "fair". I just have a hard time seeing the bad side of a $100,000,000 gift.

Federov, go back and read my post and tell me exactly how I was reacting negatively toward students. I AGREE that students who are die-hards and willing to wait in the cold for games should get better seats. I was one of them not too long ago. I've waited in line, passed the bottle around, gone into the old Ralph before warm-ups started, smuggled a bottle past security, STOOD, yelled, swore, etc. I've been there. They are some great memories from that time. That's why I thought it was stupid for the student senate to push for the assigned seating system just to maintain the center-ice seats. In my post, I reacted negatively toward the student senate, not the die-hard students who love Sioux hockey. On the other hand, I understand the frustrations of the season ticket holders not being able to see the game. That's why I think end/corner seating for the students under the old system (waiting in line) would be better for everyone. It's just my opinion.

Now, because of the student senate, REA or the athletic department (whoever is in charge of student seating) is responsible for assigned seating. But how are they supposed to gauge how die-hard of a fan you are? I suppose one way is to have just one place where tickets are sold and then allow fans to get in line and camp out in order to get the best seats. I would be for that.

Federov, go back and read my post and tell me exactly how I was reacting negatively toward students. I AGREE that students who are die-hards and willing to wait in the cold for games should get better seats. I was one of them not too long ago. I've waited in line, passed the bottle around, gone into the old Ralph before warm-ups started, smuggled a bottle past security, STOOD, yelled, swore, etc. I've been there. They are some great memories from that time. That's why I thought it was stupid for the student senate to push for the assigned seating system just to maintain the center-ice seats. In my post, I reacted negatively toward the student senate, not the die-hard students who love Sioux hockey. On the other hand, I understand the frustrations of the season ticket holders not being able to see the game. That's why I think end/corner seating for the students under the old system (waiting in line) would be better for everyone. It's just my opinion.

Now, because of the student senate, REA or the athletic department (whoever is in charge of student seating) is responsible for assigned seating. But how are they supposed to gauge how die-hard of a fan you are? I suppose one way is to have just one place where tickets are sold and then allow fans to get in line and camp out in order to get the best seats. I would be for that.

mksioux, go back and look at how I spell my username. :) Yes, I didn't make it clear that you weren't reacting negative to the students, but to the topic. My bad on that. I prefer your second part of the post where you give options. I also hope you can be open to other people's thoughts and not just think your way is the right way, as you have done in other threads.

I don't agree...anyone can wait outside for 3 hours in September and August. Diggler, flatspin7, and myself were there EVERY game...whether it was 15 degrees or -30, calm winds or 30 mph gusts. As I stated in a different thread, the senate dropped the ball on this big time. Can someone explain to me how assigned seats does anything to help the standing issue? And don't give me that they can take their tickets BS, because all they have to do is deactivate student ID's and they won't be allowed in anyways. If you don't believe me, in 2001-02 they did just that to some people who insisted on standing

mksioux...I've said all along that moving to the corner and having general admission would be better than assigned at center ice.

Blackheart...yes it is hard to find a downside to a $100,000,000 gift. But our issue here is not with REA, it is with the athletic department. Hell, REA still doesn't know what is going on with student tickets.

Another way to guage...they should have on record who came in and at what times last year to the games...whoever got through the door earliest, gets first dibs.

I thought of what you thought of MinnesotaNorthStar, but i knew they would never put that much work into it. But I wonder if they might have a record of it with the ID swiping. that would be a pretty good way of doing it if it would have been thought of last year. It would help me a lot because I think I had a seat saved for me 1 game. Otherwise I was there early every game and earned my seats. Not like half the people in front of me who had their seats saved by some one. I get annoyed when people run and save like 10 seats and then their friends don't come until 7. If they are saving seats for friends that were in line with them fine.

A couple of my friends called REA and they said REA is going to pick a day and tickets are going to be on a first come first serve basis. So i suppose you have to try and get your whole group together at one time if you want to sit together. It is going to be stupid but if you are willing to wait a bit you should still get decent seats. I am also wondering how they are going to do this next year. If they keep assigned seats will we have to wait in line for our seats again or be able to reorder them?

I don't agree...anyone can wait outside for 3 hours in September and August.  Diggler, flatspin7, and myself were there EVERY game...whether it was 15 degrees or -30, calm winds or 30 mph gusts.     

It's true that it's not the same...but I'm not sure how else to do it efficiently. You'd just have to make sure you get there before anyone else...even if that means camping out for a couple days. I admit it would be a major inconvenience. That plan probably won't happen either because I highly doubt UND officials will want to encourage long lines and camping out. They'll probably just put the tickets on ticketmaster.

As I stated in a different thread, the senate dropped the ball on this big time.
That's all I've been saying. FedOrov...I guess you need to take MinnesotaNorthStar to the wood shed too. :)

mksioux...I've said all along that moving to the corner and having general admission would be better than assigned at center ice.
Then we're both singing to the choir. :)

Another way to guage...they should have on record who came in and at what times last year to the games...whoever got through the door earliest, gets first dibs.

That might be a good idea, but I highly doubt UND officials will spend the man-hours necessary to implement that plan.

The bottom line is that it's fair game to criticize the AD for moving the section, but once he made the decision, the student senate did everything they could to make the situation even worse for the students. It just didn't make any sense.

mksioux, you just seem to be gunning for me. I sometimes wonder if we will ever agree on anything. :) I think one step that should be done is to give priority to season ticket holders. Highest priority for two years, then one year, and then all new people. I agree it would suck for new people that are willing to spend time waiting, but I don't agree that current season ticket holders should have no priority. I think this whole situation is a mess, but I'm not going to blame anyone who is trying to make it right now. This is something that should have been addressed when the arena was built. I will always blame everyone involved on that deal for taking no consideration in that factor. Even if they only toured other arenas when a game wasn't being played (which I don't know if that is how it was), this is a college and people should be able to think outside the box. :)

Coteau, I think Fedorov is referring to giving priority to student season ticket holders from prior years for the reserved center ice seats.

As pretty much everyone has said, there really is no good way to implement this awful plan. The senate really dropped the ball here. However, Fedorov is right that this whole mess could have been avoided by giving the students ample corner seating when the arena opened.

Coteau, I think Fedorov is referring to giving priority to student season ticket holders from prior years for the reserved center ice seats.

As pretty much everyone has said, there really is no good way to implement this awful plan. The senate really dropped the ball here. However, Fedorov is right that this whole mess could have been avoided by giving the students ample corner seating when the arena opened.

I know he is referrring to student season tickets, but i'm saying that season tickets to the public have a priority system, but I guess the students must not be good enough for this kind of set up.

Students getting screwed at the REA?! That never happens...and I always get 50% back when I sell my books to Barnes and Noble!

The best option would have been to give us corner seats...but apparently they didn't think students would stand during a hockey game, despite the fact that students standing during the game happens just about everywhere (I know there are exceptions).

I have been a student season ticket holder for the past 2 years; I have shown up early to most of the games. Usually there are about 5-10 people ahead of me in line, I'd like to see them get their tickets first and I'd also like priority given to people who have had student season tickets in the past.

For once I feel just a small amount of pity for REA officials for having to deal with a bad student senate decision, but when has government ever done anything efficiently? (Rhetorical question).