SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Tickets

Fighting Sioux Hockey

The only time the publis will be happy is when the students are left outside of the REA and forced to watch the game from the screens on Demers and Columbia.

I have been one to note how the general public has a negative attitude towards students, including on this forum, but I don't think they want the students gone. :) There are just different expectations of what should happen at a game, and it varies within the students and general public as well. Some prefer excitement and cheering, some prefer to stand or sit, and some want the game to be like watching it on TV. I'm sure most of the general public recognize how the arena is when the students are there. Unfortunately, the series without students last year was the CC series. Yes it was a good crowd even without all of the students, but I know for a fact it would have been even louder and more supportive. In general, the students try to maintain atmosphere a lot more than the general public. Again, there are exceptions with some students who don't cheer and the general public trying to cheer a lot. Last year was a lot better for atmosphere than the first year in REA, and I think the reason for that was that students were allowed to stand more. We will find out if that is true this year when there is less standing. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll be waiting to say "I told you so." :)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason the atmosphere was better last year was because the team was better. Half the students sat last year, with the exception of the final game where everyone stood the whole game because the Athletic Department are idiots. :) Sitting and standing doesn't have alot to do with atmosphere.

For some strange and unknown reason, I think standing does have something to do with atmosphere. It doesn't necessarily have to, but it usually does. In theory, a fan can be just as loud sitting down...but there's something about standing up that makes a fan want to shout. But for the sake of the upcoming season, I truly hope Diggler is right.

But to respond to Coteau, every single season ticket/suite holder I know loves the atmosphere the students bring to the game...especially the "colorful" chants and the beer song. Many wish the students would be even louder and more obnoxious than they have been the past two seasons. The only thing I hear them complain about is when the students block their view of the game by standing. But as I've stated many times, it is my opinion that the solution is not to ban standing...the solution is to place the students in a section in the lower bowl where standing will have a minimal effect on other's view. For me (and I suspect many other former students), part of the fun of going to a Sioux hockey game is to watch the students do stupid things that I used to do too. I don't like the idea of placing straight jackets on the students... as it will stifle atmosphere IMO.

In sum: Let the students be students.

Standing does have something to do with atmosphere, just not alot. Students should still be allowed to stand during certain times during the games. That is part of the agreement that the Athletic Department and the students came to. What a mess this whole thing has been from the very start.

There are many factors that will be different this year, so it will not be possible to tease apart the real reason for whatever atmosphere we have. If the team is better, that could change it. The reserved seating could change it in either direction. Some games may be worse if the seats are empty and other students aren't allowed to fill them up. Other games might be better, especially the big ones. I know everyone is loud for the Gopher series, but you can see that some students have no energy left after waiting outside for 8 hours. The amount of standing will change. Are students still allowed to stand for powerplays or anything other than goals? I think the student section atmosphere will also be improved with the reserved seating because it keeps families out of there. Many people don't want to be obnoxious when there is a little kid sitting right by them. Again, putting students in the corner would still not be the perfect solution now because suite holders and club seats may not be able to see, but yes it would be the most minimal effect. It needed to be taken care of in the design. For what is currently being done, everyone needs to know about it. It did not help last year when the non-student season ticket holders yelled at students for standing during the power plays, which students were told they could stand for. Originally one suite was to be given away by a drawing to a student for EVERY game. I don't know who lied to us on that one, but that would take care of one suite being blocked by students because they would stand if needed, or watch it on TV. The students were also to have four sections on the lower level, which didn't happen. I think the general public needs to know the students went into this situation getting screwed, thus they weren't going to take to the standing issue sitting down. :)

But to respond to Coteau, every single season ticket/suite holder I know loves the atmosphere the students bring to the game...especially the "colorful" chants and the beer song. Many wish the students would be even louder and more obnoxious than they have been the past two seasons.

In sum: Let the students be students.

Couldn't agree more. I too wish that, as a section, we were louder and more obnoxious. I remember back to old Engelstad...THAT was atmosphere. Mankato...Sat. game...8 billion penalty minutes per team in the 2nd period :glare: ...My voice and hearing was shot after that for the next week (made flying very interesting :huh: )...we need to try and get that back.

so what do your student tix cost you guys up there for the season? Do you guys get the option for a student "guest pass"? One thing I do know having an assigned seat isn't all that bad, unless you are stuck in the hinterlands of an areana! It is nice to be able to tip a few back and not worry about getting a "good" seat. Leaves more time for tailgating and wait-babe watching!

WPoS

A few of life's little lessons are being taught right now. Examples?

-- Who you vote for matters.

-- Treat your neighbors as you'd like to be treated, or they'll go to "city hall" (or the athletic department in this case) and deal with you there.

-- Big time programs cost big time dollars. Don't be surprised when the prices go up to support it.

As much as the students may not like the new system being implemented, it could be changed again to be better suited for all in the future by real cooperative efforts between the parties in the future. If you don't like what you have now, work for the change. (Another of life's lessons.)

As much as I'd like to feel sorry for the students, look here. That is the price list to join the Fighting Sioux Club and get lower bowl seats. All those base club level prices are 10% higher than last year ($1000 --> $1100) AND all of the "1/3 off" numbers read "1/2 off" last season. I don't expect those will change (go down) in the future no matter how hard one works for it.

not that it really matters to you all but for perspective:

At Mecca a student ticket costs $221

A student "guest pass" costs $658 (used to be the same price as the student ticket so a HUGE increase there)

Mecca student tix are sold out every year a long as I remember, but starting last year there were too many students for the alloted seats so they went to lottery picking of the "lucky ones". This year is going to be even worse, i.e.; lots of people will be SOL for tix.

If you want to get non-student season tix. The wait list is over 1700 people long and they only take 10-15 people from the list a year. At that rate I will be 130+ years old when my name finally comes up.

If you want to jump ahead of the line, you "just" donate $1000 to the scholarship fund and you get your season tix for $658 (total of alomost $1700 per seat.

So from that perspective, having assigned seats don't sound all that bad to me...and I have met many good people by being forced to sit by them for a year and maintained several good friendships that way. Unfortunatly, I have had people that were forced to sit in front of me turn and say at game #1, "no not you, you are too loud, I need earplugs!" :glare: Poor bast@rds need to stand up and cheer more IMO!

WPoS

... to get into the Student Seating Club, you need to pay around $4,000 on up (depending on classes and if you are out-of-state). That puts us at least between the Directors and Emerald Club, and you may be in the upper bowl.

Those Fighting Sioux Club members have already paid their tuition (to which you coyly reference). They, however, are not using the other resources of the campus (academics) that you are for the $4000. Don't confuse the issue.

The only "membership" to the "Student Seating Club" that you could claim is the mandatory student athletics fee paid each semester. That plus the $65 for student tickets doesn't cost what a general public (no FSC membership) season ticket costs (~$345) and those seats are in the upper deck.

Obviously all of the money doesn't go to the tickets. But go ahead and walk into Twamley and pay student fees and see if you can get a student ticket. We don't get a tax write-off with our money either. I don't know what this PC crap is about. Where did I say anything about the seating assignments? You come into the middle of a conversation and have no clue what you are talking about. Who's crying? I think that would be the general public that cried because we were standing. Why don't you get your facts straight. Your stereotypes and false claims make me sick.

puke.gif

You kinda seem to be saying sit down and shutup to the students. You seem to be saying that thye have no right to complain because they have it so good. While that may be true, it doesn't change the fact that many students may get the short end of the stick because of the way it looks like tickets will be handed out. Why shouldn't they be able to complain about that? Because they have it so good? They get their tickets so cheap, so they don't have a right to complain? It seems like students for the most part aren't allowed to express their opinions here on this subject. They are always bitching and whining and they should always just be thankful that they are given such a great opportunity to watch UND, is an idea that is very prevelant here. However, if it is someone saying something against the students it is OK. That just seems stupid to me.

If you don't like what is being said here, don't read it. You know what is going yo be discussed in this thread, so why waste your time reading it? Sure, maybe some students here are whining, but many aren't. Just let them be and allow them to vent their frustration without jumping all over them constantly. I'm sure their are some things that tick you off. How would you like it if everytime you said things ticked you off, someone seemed to respond with "shut up, you got it so good. You have no reason to complain."

Students are a unique and valuable part of the Sioux hockey experience IMO. They should get special treatment (cheaper tickets, choice seating, etc.). Most current Sioux hockey fans fell in love with the team while they were students. For the sake of the continuity of tradition and the well-being of the program, students are an integral part of the equation.

Students do have some legitimate complaints about this system. I think students have a right to complain and this is a good forum in which to do it. I've never said that students should shut up about the issue. I just wish they'd keep the issue in perspective (thanks WPoS) and refrain from the REA-bashing. While most student posters do keep the issue in perspective while complaining, I get a little bent out of shape when I think someone has taken it too far. REA and the AD are not perfect, but it's not like their first mission in life is to screw over the students.

I got kind of bored reading everything in this thread, so I don't know exactly what the topic at hand is besides student seating. All I'm wondering is if REA does intend to pick a day to sell tickets on a first come first serve basis, which I'm ok with, do they plan on doing it during the week or on the weekend? I usually sit with a larger number of people at the games, and I'm thinking that it is going to be awfully hard to get all of us together during a time that we have classes so that we can all sit together. Especially since I'm expecting people are going to have to wait in line for an awfully long time to get the seats they want. I would suggest selling them on a Saturday. I find it harder to skip classes in my program than I did when I was taking my generals, nevermind that I skipped 6 1/2 hours of classes today with a major hangover. :glare:

I usually sit with a larger number of people at the games, and I'm thinking that it is going to be awfully hard to get all of us together during a time that we have classes so that we can all sit together. Especially since I'm expecting people are going to have to wait in line for an awfully long time to get the seats they want. I would suggest selling them on a Saturday.

This is what I have been saying all along. My only problem with the assigned seating is being able to sit with friends. I have never once complained about paying for the tickets (they were about $65 last year, if I remember correctly, which is VERY VERY cheap). If they do sell them on a Saturday, I need to get that day off of work in order to make it there, I don't feel as if we are getting enough advanced notice to do that.

And BTW NOBODY here can say they would not feel the same way the students do if they were in our position...NOBODY.

Talked to a ticket person today. Here it is folks, the day of reckoning:

Sunday, September 21st at noon at the REA, season tickets go onsale. If you want to sit next to people you know or like (one or the other), you MUST have them present and accounted for and adjacent to you in line.

That's it from the Athletic Dept. I heard from my friends, though, that you could buy 2 season tickets per student id. Though I doubt that's true.

See you there bright and freaking early!

I am planning on getting season tickets. That's my plan. Period. Hopefully I'll be sitting next to people who won't mind it too terribly that I yell and rant and rave.

As for previous season ticket holders, I didn't ask, but my guess is, stand in line like everyone else. I'll ask the dude at the ticket window and get back to you all about that... if someone doesn't beat me to it.