SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ MICHIGAN TECH

AZSIOUX

MTU plays the game style UND has had trouble with.

SCSU, UMN, and BSU all have tried to play an up and down game style. They tried that against us and lost.

CC tried to do it on Friday. They lost.

If they play the trap, this team has trouble. We found that out at the GLI.

Are we on a roll or is there something about the game style we play well against?

There is a reason MTU has won 1 game in WCHA play. They aren't that good and UND can't afford to lose points this weekend.

UND has to crash the net and play up tempo like they did this weekend.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really hoping that this past weekend built the line cohesion and confidence we need to really roll a team like Tech. Our depth is what beat MN, and there should be no way possible that MTU can match up with our depth.

It is true that trapping gives us fits. We simply need to adjust our passing and hit the tape we did against MN. Confidence and line cohesion will do wonders for this.

I saw the Sioux lines play as units this weekend rather than individuals. I think that the guys figured out where their linemates were going to be and made aggressive plays with anticipation.

Headed to Houghton for the first time this weekend. Where are the hot spots for Sioux fans to hang out before and after games?

Any recommendations on what to see and do there in addition to watching hockey?

I went a few years ago and there was an alumni gathering that was fun. Actually a good number of Sioux fans in that area. I don't remember where it is, but the alumni site might be some help.

Houghton is kind of stuck in the 70s. Not a bad thing. Very cheap beer. Arena is kind of old school cool and the announcer actually skates on the ice while talking.

I went a few years ago and there was an alumni gathering that was fun. Actually a good number of Sioux fans in that area. I don't remember where it is, but the alumni site might be some help.

Houghton is kind of stuck in the 70s. Not a bad thing. Very cheap beer. Arena is kind of old school cool and the announcer actually skates on the ice while talking.

That's a great description. I think Houghton has one stop light, despite it's decent size. And I don't know how people can stop their cars in the winter time on those banks.

I heard their announcer is a creeper.

I thought Houghton was a great roadtrip last year for all the reasons listed above.

did anyone see the Sioux at the GLI? Did they forecheck and pressure Tech's Defense like they did to UM? I'm thinking they must not have because UND basically forced the Gophs D into turnovers and mistakes all weekend which lead to the wins, IMO. I can't believe that Tech's D is as talented or good as UM. your thoughts.....?

Just looked at my atlas. That looks like the most difficult WCHA trip to make out of all of the teams. It may be a while before Mr. Siouxmama and I get to that arena. :silly:

Its not that bad. Mr. and Mrs. Siouxman made the trip last year, about 8 hours from Fergus Falls. However, it was also the end of October, and they hadn't started getting their average 240 inches of snow yet. We did find lots of Sioux fans there, including some who drove up from Chicago.

per brad, saw this posted elsewhere as well. great job guys!

Duncan, Gregoire are players of week

UND forward Ryan Duncan is the offensive player of the week and Jason Gregoire is the rookie of the week in the WCHA.

Duncan shared the offensive player of the week honor with Wisconsin's Jamie McBain.

Both Duncan and Gregoire had three-goal weekends as UND swept Minnesota in Ralph Engelstad Arena. Gregoire also had an assist.

Gregoire had the game-winner on Friday night and Duncan had the winner on Saturday night. Gregoire was the first star on Friday night and Duncan was the first star on Saturday night.

Gregoire and Duncan were placed on the top line together for the first time two weekends ago against Bemidji State.

Sioux players in weekly honors

Nov. 18 -- Brad Eidsness, WCHA rookie of the week

Dec. 2 -- Matt Frattin, WCHA offensive player of the week

Dec. 9 -- Brad Eidsness, WCHA rookie of the week

Dec. 16 -- Brett Hextall, WCHA rookie of the week

Jan. 6 -- Chris VandeVelde, WCHA offensive player of the week

Jan. 13 -- Ryan Duncan, WCHA offensive player of the week

Jan. 13 -- Jason Gregoire, WCHA rookie of the week

per brad, saw this posted elsewhere as well. great job guys!

Duncan, Gregoire are players of week

UND forward Ryan Duncan is the offensive player of the week and Jason Gregoire is the rookie of the week in the WCHA.

Duncan shared the offensive player of the week honor with Wisconsin's Jamie McBain.

Both Duncan and Gregoire had three-goal weekends as UND swept Minnesota in Ralph Engelstad Arena. Gregoire also had an assist.

Gregoire had the game-winner on Friday night and Duncan had the winner on Saturday night. Gregoire was the first star on Friday night and Duncan was the first star on Saturday night.

Gregoire and Duncan were placed on the top line together for the first time two weekends ago against Bemidji State.

Sioux players in weekly honors

Nov. 18 -- Brad Eidsness, WCHA rookie of the week

Dec. 2 -- Matt Frattin, WCHA offensive player of the week

Dec. 9 -- Brad Eidsness, WCHA rookie of the week

Dec. 16 -- Brett Hextall, WCHA rookie of the week

Jan. 6 -- Chris VandeVelde, WCHA offensive player of the week

Jan. 13 -- Ryan Duncan, WCHA offensive player of the week

Jan. 13 -- Jason Gregoire, WCHA rookie of the week

ALSO at morons are us Gregoire was a Runners up for player of the week.

Runners-Up: Jason Gregoire, North Dakota; Brennan Sarazin, RIT; Matt Sweazy, Alabama-Huntsville; Brad Thiessen, Northeastern; Jason Walters, Union

per brad

Duncan joins 75-75 club

Ryan Duncan reached yet another landmark in his decorated career last weekend. He became the 11th player in Sioux history to be in the 75-75 club (75 goals and 75 assists).

What makes it extra impressive is that he did it in an era where scoring is at an all-time low. Had he played 20 years ago, you wonder if he would have joined Dixon Ward in the 100-100 club.

The 75-75 Club

1. Mark Taylor 97-168

2. Jeff Panzer 80-145

3. Dixon Ward 110-109

4. Lee Davidson 80-122

5. Doug Smail 89-106

6. Phil Sykes 98-90

7. Bob Joyce 101-81

8. Chris Jensen 77-95

9. Cary Eades 85-79

10. Brandon Bochenski 79-75

11. Ryan Duncan 75-76

Dixon Ward in the 100-100 club.

That guy, as a college hockey player, was one of the better one's I have ever watched. Tough as nails, good skater, above average on defense and a keen nose for the puck in the offensive end with the ability to find the net or set someone else up.

So this has no direct relation to the upcoming series but looking at the current pairwise there are three teams in front of us: CC, Maine and Dartmouth. Looking at the comparisons grid that we have with these teams CC needs to play 3 more TUC's and we'll win that comparison, Dartmouth needs to play 4 more games and we'll win that comparison and after Maine plays their next TUC we'll win that comparison to. This will bump us up to 15th, we fell to 18th after Boston lost the other night I believe. Just some numbers to look at..I get bored sometimes.

By glancing at it I believe this is right but I may be wrong, please feel free to correct me if this is the case.

So this has no direct relation to the upcoming series but looking at the current pairwise there are three teams in front of us: CC, Maine and Dartmouth. Looking at the comparisons grid that we have with these teams CC needs to play 3 more TUC's and we'll win that comparison, Dartmouth needs to play 4 more games and we'll win that comparison and after Maine plays their next TUC we'll win that comparison to. This will bump us up to 15th, we fell to 18th after Boston lost the other night I believe. Just some numbers to look at..I get bored sometimes.

By glancing at it I believe this is right but I may be wrong, please feel free to correct me if this is the case.

More glancing - looking at the comparisons vs. CCHA teams (Ohio St. and Miami in particular) the loss to MSU hurts us in the Comman Opponent criteria - we lose that comp with both teams and looks impossible to flip it back.

Note: this is a great site to see current rankings and also do your own projecting.

http://slack.net/~whelan/tbrw/tbrw.cgi?2009

Just keep winning and the pwr will take care of itself. If we keep this up nobody will want to play is in the F5 in St Paul, either.