SiouxSports.com Forum

Stoa's bush league attack

johndahl

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the biggest bullSh*t excuse i have ever heard. These guys played there last WJC game the sunday before. Besides i did not see much effort from them in the WJC so they should have been well rested. Also, isn't it a little ironic that Stoa cheap shots our guy while he lay on his back on the ice, rats out the bench for telling him to do it, and now he is out tonight? Either he is scared he is gonna get beat up or the coaches are pissed for getting ratted out. I smell a rat, I mean a Gopher.

Come on, guys. Our own coaches, including Hak and Blais, routinely would say that players coming back from Juniors would be pooped for a week or two--routinely. They always said it was worth it and that the team was better for it in the long run, but they always pointed out the tiredness factor.

Great series by the Sioux. Best I can remember for a long time.

Jones is a bull. Little L might have lost some honor, but he probably kept a tooth or two.

Come on, guys. Our own coaches, including Hak and Blais, routinely would say that players coming back from Juniors would be pooped for a week or two--routinely. They always said it was worth it and that the team was better for it in the long run, but they always pointed out the tiredness factor.

Great series by the Sioux. Best I can remember for a long time.

Jones is a bull. Little L might have lost some honor, but he probably kept a tooth or two.

I guess it is true, but not really. I think it is a conditioning issue. Here's examples:

John Tavares goes off to WJC, junior team trades him, he played more games than Fairchild/Hoeffel/etc. in the WJC, and he returns now to London (OHL) and scores 1g 2a.

Or how about Filitov? He comes back, gets called up immediately to the NHL and scores a hat trick.

What I think it is hitting on is the fundamental flaw in college hockey: players who are used to playing more games leading into the WJC will have less of a problem upon returning from the WJC.

Hoeffel/Fairchild/etc. are conditioned to the NCAA style season. So, when they come back, they're not conditioned enough and they're out of gas.

It is truly one of the only things I think the players that go the college route miss out on.

I guess it is true, but not really. I think it is a conditioning issue. Here's examples:

John Tavares goes off to WJC, junior team trades him, he played more games than Fairchild/Hoeffel/etc. in the WJC, and he returns now to London (OHL) and scores 1g 2a.

Or how about Filitov? He comes back, gets called up immediately to the NHL and scores a hat trick.

What I think it is hitting on is the fundamental flaw in college hockey: players who are used to playing more games leading into the WJC will have less of a problem upon returning from the WJC.

Hoeffel/Fairchild/etc. are conditioned to the NCAA style season. So, when they come back, they're not conditioned enough and they're out of gas.

It is truly one of the only things I think the players that go the college route miss out on.

I don't buy this lame excuse about them being tired. They are athletes and they are supposed to be in good shape.

The fact that media plays into the excuse that they are tired just gives them an excuse to lose.

It doesn't really matter if the guys were a little fatigued or not. I don't see any circumstances the way the games were played that Gophers leave town with a point.

If the Gophers and Sioux meet up at the X or in the regional they will get rolled again unless all 20 of them can match the intensity of the Sioux. Great weekend for the Sioux, plenty of time to recover from it for the Gophers.

To me, hockey is a sport that lends itself to frustrations and that leads to bad behavior by the team that is getting handled. I think Stoa is a great player that lost his cool a bit, which certainly happens to the Sioux as well. My problem isn't with Stoa or Lucia, but with the announcers that think the gopher player's crap doesn't stink, namely Woog and Mazzocco. If they can't see that their players are just as susceptible to bad behavior as the Sioux or any other team, then they are living in their own little world. It would be nice if they, and any gopher fans that believe the same would have a seed of reality planted in their brains.

Definitely bush league but the Sioux have done worse through the years so I don't see any reason to get too upset about it.

I do think there's a difference between being cheap and manning-up at the proper time. This incident roils me because the gopher faithful and players/coaches completely ignore it while insisting the Sioux are cheap and the gophers are not. I'd have less problem with this if their perspective was a little more balanced.

Apparently, John Hill has found the forum.

THAT is funny. :silly: