SiouxSports.com Forum

How bad is the WCHA this year?

Stack

With the holiday tourneys completed it looks bad for the WCHA come playoff time this year. Teams that have traditionally not even been competitive against the WCHA have either tied or beaten the WCHA teams. So here goes:

Northern Michigan sweeping Wisconsin

Lake Superior tying Wisconsin

Holy Cross tying Denver

Yale beating Mankato after Omaha beat Yale 8-3 the previous night

Bowling Green tying Mankato

Sacred Heart tying Colorado College

Clarkson tying Colorado College twice

Air Force beating CC

North Dakota losing to Michigan State who hadn

I would have concur with your assessment Stack that the WCHA appears to be down overall this year.

That's why I had to chuckle when I read this analysis today:

"So we are to believe that Cornell and Princeton are better hockey teams than Denver University. I am going to say Barbara Streisand. Give me a break with that ranking. I want what the posters are smoking because I want some of that. Miami loses to two of the worst teams in Division one hockey and hardly falls, The BADgers lose two games to a crappy NMU team and they still stay in the poll. Minnesota State wins a game against UNO and all they get are votes. "

The fact of the matter is the same people who claim that polls mean nothing are the same ones complaining about them. Perhaps, this individual thought we should have ranked after sweeping powerhouse Bemidji State.

I would have concur with your assessment Stack that the WCHA appears to be down overall this year.

That's why I had to chuckle when I read this analysis today:

"So we are to believe that Cornell and Princeton are better hockey teams than Denver University. I am going to say Barbara Streisand. Give me a break with that ranking. I want what the posters are smoking because I want some of that. Miami loses to two of the worst teams in Division one hockey and hardly falls, The BADgers lose two games to a crappy NMU team and they still stay in the poll. Minnesota State wins a game against UNO and all they get are votes. "

The fact of the matter is the same people who claim that polls mean nothing are the same ones complaining about them. Perhaps, this individual thought we should have ranked after sweeping powerhouse Bemidji State.

Hey Dean (or is it Steve, Fetch9 ) you really need to do something other than glum onto what I post or say. Find your own material. Get a life we know who you are. By the way Cornell and Princeton are not better team that Denver however, since they don't play many teams outside of the east coast we will never know. Air Farce same thing they are a joke. you seem to have reading comprehension skills problems because I didn't say that UND deserved to be in the poll(s) either.

With the holiday tourneys completed it looks bad for the WCHA come playoff time this year. Teams that have traditionally not even been competitive against the WCHA have either tied or beaten the WCHA teams. So here goes:

Northern Michigan sweeping Wisconsin

Lake Superior tying Wisconsin

Holy Cross tying Denver

Yale beating Mankato after Omaha beat Yale 8-3 the previous night

Bowling Green tying Mankato

Sacred Heart tying Colorado College

Clarkson tying Colorado College twice

Air Force beating CC

North Dakota losing to Michigan State who hadn

IMHO the "power" in college hockey has swung east the past couple of years. The rise of Notre Dame, for example, helps the CCHA, even though most of us would have laughed at the prospect of Dame getting into the Title game in the past. These swings happen, and at some point the WCHA will actually be a powerhouse conference again. This year ... not so much.

IMHO the "power" in college hockey has swung east the past couple of years. The rise of Notre Dame, for example, helps the CCHA, even though most of us would have laughed at the prospect of Dame getting into the Title game in the past. These swings happen, and at some point the WCHA will actually be a powerhouse conference again. This year ... not so much.

I agree with Notred Dame they are a pretty good team, I also think the WCHA will be back on top soon if they stop losing all of these top players to the NHL every season.

I'm not saying miami wasn't a good team it was just that Goon ripped them all year long.

How did I get into this conversation. :D I thought Miami has a very weak SOS last season and feasted on weak teams.

I also don't think they were as good as some wanted us to believe. I also think that if UND had played them in the tourney

the Sioux would have won. Just my opinion and we never got to find out... RedHawk fans says that Miami is going to play the Sioux next season. Anyone know if that is true?

I fear that all of the two year and done players are finally starting to catch up with the WCHA. This certainly appears to be a down year and I think that Denver and Minnesota are continuing to make this recruiting blunder. Denver especially has tons of talent inbound but if these players bolt before realizing their potential in college hockey where does it get you.

I think things are looking bright for the Sioux for the next couple of years. While it is true that they don't have a Parise, Stafford, Toews or Oshie on this team they do have a solid and balanced freshman class, most of whom will likely stick around for their full four years. Add Cichy, Kristo and MacWilliams to this mix next year and I think this team will be ready to compete with anyone in the nation.

I think things are looking bright for the Sioux for the next couple of years. While it is true that they don't have a Parise, Stafford, Toews or Oshie on this team they do have a solid and balanced freshman class, most of whom will likely stick around for their full four years. Add Cichy, Kristo and MacWilliams to this mix next year and I think this team will be ready to compete with anyone in the nation.

I believe that you are right. I also think that if we can get a player that is a two and done the coaches still have to take them but not build a whole roster around them.

How did I get into this conversation. :D I thought Miami has a very weak SOS last season and feasted on weak teams.

I also don't think they were as good as some wanted us to believe. I also think that if UND had played them in the tourney

the Sioux would have won. Just my opinion and we never got to find out... RedHawk fans says that Miami is going to play the Sioux next season. Anyone know if that is true?

I thought I saw in an article by Brad early in the year, possible right before their first game something about maybe notre dame,bu and or miami coming up here for a tournament or something?

I thought I saw in an article by Brad early in the year, possible right before their first game something about maybe notre dame,bu and or miami coming up here for a tournament or something?

That would be very nice.

Notre Dame has struggled against teams with winning records, and have beat up on cupcakes. Not overly impressed with them.

At least the WCHA has Minnesota and DU this year.

That is until the Sioux whip up on Goldy this weekend. :D

I fear that all of the two year and done players are finally starting to catch up with the WCHA. This certainly appears to be a down year and I think that Denver and Minnesota are continuing to make this recruiting blunder. Denver especially has tons of talent inbound but if these players bolt before realizing their potential in college hockey where does it get you.

Denver and Minnesota are continuing to make this recruiting blunder that has them as the top 2 teams in the conference far and away. Good one.

Denver and Minnesota are continuing to make this recruiting blunder that has them as the top 2 teams in the conference far adn away. Good one.

top 2 in wcha far and away? really? wcha points wise you are easily wrong but maroon colored goggles you are right as both teams wear those type of colors. lets let the season play out before making statements like that. seems bottom feeder teams have hung with higher points teams this season. just look at tech and the gophers as one example

i think his point is it can catch up to anyone depending on the year

Denver and Minnesota are continuing to make this recruiting blunder that has them as the top 2 teams in the conference far and away. Good one.

Far and away?

The Gophers have a whopping 5 point lead on 7th place MSUM in the WCHA.

Nothing is set in stone in the WCHA yet this year. All of the teams are still in the hunt for home ice aside from Tech, and no team has really come out and dominated conference play.

If DU and UMN happen to have a couple bad weekends in a row, they could find themselves in 3rd or 4th place pretty easily.

Far and away?

Nothing is set in stone in the WCHA yet this year. All of the teams are still in the hunt for home ice aside from Tech, and no team has really come out and dominated conference play.

If DU and UMN happen to have a couple bad weekends in a row, they could find themselves in 3rd or 4th place pretty easily.

Hey if he wants to crown their asses, then crown them! Thanks Denny. :D

Far and away?

7th place Mankato has also played 2 more games. With a sweep this weekend, that would be a 9 point lead on 7th place Mankato, which is VERY sizable through only 14 games.

7th place Mankato has also played 2 more games. With a sweep this weekend, that would be a 9 point lead on 7th place Mankato, which is VERY sizable through only 14 games.

Conversely, if the Gophers happened to get swept this weekend, it would remain a 5pt lead (depending on what MSUM does against CC this weekend).

I highly doubt the Gophers will get swept this weekend, but anything is possible in the WCHA.

:sad: