SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs GOPHERS

AZSIOUX

Just want to extend my best wishes for a speedy recovery for Don Lucia.

Health and family are the much more important than hockey or a hated rival.

Hopefully this is nothing serious and he will be back coaching very soon.

Yeah, that sounds ominous. Hope it turns out not to be serious. I guess he won't be behind the bench this weekend, according to tv tonight. Too bad. I want to see both teams at full strength, including coaches.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D :D :D

EDIT: 2.196 GAA, 92.1 SV %....

What a scrub

We will see buddy. Numbers aren't bad, I don't deny that, but UMN-TC has a few more cupcakes on their schedule. Brad E has very similar numbers, around 90 or 91 save %, and he had a few tough games when he took over. Rivalry games are fun because no matter what the records, anything can happen. It will be nice for the gophers that they have the 3 players at the WJC excuse ready, and the Lucia being gone excuse ready. (I sincerely wish the best for Don and his family, I hope everything works out)

The Gophers have had a lot of good results this season, but things don't come too easy for them. Goaltending and power plays will no doubt be the key to the weekend.

I'll be looking to see if Pat White's good play and goal scoring from this weekend was a fluke or a start of something. If he can get going the Gophers may develop the scoring depth to make them very dangerous this spring.

Our D does not give me a warm hugable feeling. :D

Interesting.

I'm more concerned about the fact that our offense is darn near non-existance.

Remember, the most likely scenario for both games has the Gophers scoring AT LEAST 2 goals per game. We seem to fight to score more than 2 at any given time.

I don't know what is going to happen. It all depends upon whether or not we show up offensively.

OH, and a relevant game note: At one point in the 2nd period (IIRC) there was a 3 on 1 for the Sioux. We passed the puck so many times it allowed the d to get back and NO SHOT was ever attempted. TH said "one too many passes."

Well, if we try to get cute like that, we WILL lose.

We need to get ugly, quite frankly. Get goals every which way we can legally. Throw the puck at the net and crash the net.

We all know well that the Gophers do and will send players at the net. We need to do that too.

The Gophers look really tough this year.

Getting Schroeder, Hoeffel, and Fairchild back from the WJC will help them even more. Hopefully those players are tired from the games and the travel. :D

I just hope that the Sioux can manage to get a split. Anything more and I would be extremely happy, but I don't see that happening.

A split or better would put them in a good spot for the WCHA standings.

Yeah, that sounds ominous. Hope it turns out not to be serious. I guess he won't be behind the bench this weekend, according to tv tonight. Too bad. I want to see both teams at full strength, including coaches.

I predict Hakstol tries to let the ref know that he is number 1, and than gets tossed and suspended for saturday. Just to make the coaching situation even.

I also predict that we get either campion or baby shepherd, cuz you know they have to send the "top" WCHA officials for this game.

Interesting.

Remember, the most likely scenario for both games has the Gophers scoring AT LEAST 2 goals per game. We seem to fight to score more than 2 at any given time.

I don't know what is going to happen. It all depends upon whether or not we show up offensively.

OH, and a relevant game note: At one point in the 2nd period (IIRC) there was a 3 on 1 for the Sioux. We passed the puck so many times it allowed the d to get back and NO SHOT was ever attempted. TH said "one too many passes."

We need to get ugly, quite frankly. Get goals every which way we can legally. Throw the puck at the net and crash the net.

We all know well that the Gophers do and will send players at the net. We need to do that too.

agree completely. we need more vandevelde type goals. he always seems to get the ones he does by crashing the net and getting tips, some deflections off players, etc... those kind of goals will help a lot.

on a side note, at the game i do remember the one where there was way too many passes. there was so many near goals in that second period i thought i was going to have a heart attack. 31 shots on goal to like 10 or whatever to bemidji going into the 3rd was a bit ridiculous.

agree completely. we need more vandevelde type goals. he always seems to get the ones he does by crashing the net and getting tips, some deflections off players, etc... those kind of goals will help a lot.

on a side note, at the game i do remember the one where there was way too many passes. there was so many near goals in that second period i thought i was going to have a heart attack. 31 shots on goal to like 10 or whatever to bemidji going into the 3rd was a bit ridiculous.

Hextall is another one who crashes the net. Actually, I'm fairly sure 90% (or more) of his goals this year are from him either crashing the net or parking himself in front of it.

Interesting.

Friday when I was in Bemidji I watched to many break aways. Sorry the D does not give me a good feeling.

I do see improvement in moving the puck up ice and not having to go behind the net every time to set up a play.

So there is improvement. Just thought we would be more seasoned since it is Jan.

I predict Hakstol tries to let the ref know that he is number 1, and than gets tossed and suspended for saturday. Just to make the coaching situation even.

I also predict that we get either campion or baby shepherd, cuz you know they have to send the "top" WCHA officials for this game.

I was thinking Don Adam but that's just my .02 :D

This weekend's series pretty much means we will see one of the following combinations: Derek Shephurd, Donn Adam and or Marco Hunt. Daddy Shep will be at the REA as well. So I think the Sioux and the Gophers should give them something to talk about by having a rough and tumble series.

Regarding "dirty" goals, the players should watch playback of ZPar's 22 goals this year: Very few sniper shots--just hard work, desire, and a nose for the net. Add in a bunch of assists on those that didn't go in but rebounded for someone else.

I'll 2nd what AZSioux said on page 1, this is the greatest rivalry in college hockey!

Should be a heck of a series! Not too thrilled about Lucia not making the trip but obviously his health is much more important then a hockey game. Hopefully it fires up the team a little as well to play for the Coach. Sure hope they get some more of those white-out t-shirts in by Friday, would like to pick up a couple.

Anyone know if the old Dagwoods opened back up, can't remember what the name of it was most recently?

EDIT: Whats the status of Big Joe Finley? Is he back or still injured?

I'm going to be an optimist and state that officiating isn't going to win or lose games for either team. However, if we get in penalty trouble, I'm sure the Gophers will make us think so.

There will be blown calls and noncalls on both sides. Why? Human error will be part of it, but the subpar officiating the WCHA endorses will also factor in. However, good teams overcome.

I don't expect much from any team any year. There are too many variables and unknowns. Unforseen things happen. Last year, I did not see MTU (might have been 2 years ago) or MSUM being as good as they were. I didn't see MSU winning it all.

I don't think anyone foresaw Air Force giving teams a hard time or Holy Cross beating Minnesota.

All I ask for in this series is a well fought, solidly played pair of games. I'd love silver linings. That's all.

I'm going to be an optimist and state that officiating isn't going to win or lose games for either team. However, if we get in penalty trouble, I'm sure the Gophers will make us think so.

There will be blown calls and noncalls on both sides. Why? Human error will be part of it, but the subpar officiating the WCHA endorses will also factor in. However, good teams overcome.

I don't expect much from any team any year. There are too many variables and unknowns. Unforseen things happen. Last year, I did not see MTU (might have been 2 years ago) or MSUM being as good as they were. I didn't see MSU winning it all.

I don't think anyone foresaw Air Force giving teams a hard time or Holy Cross beating Minnesota.

All I ask for in this series is a well fought, solidly played pair of games. I'd love silver linings. That's all.

That'll be key if you guys want to win.

Gophers have the 2nd ranked PK in the nation, and 4th ranked PP.