SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs GOPHERS

AZSIOUX

Not yet, just followed a couple games on these boards. It's sounded ugly, but I refuse to believe a Sioux team lacks talent until I see it for myself. Maybe it's true though. The Gophers sure lacked their normal puck skills the last couple of seasons.

We have good quality players up and down the lineup, but no "studs". And with a couple of guys underproducing from previous years, scoring goals is the biggest concern for this team. And as we all know, if you don't score, your chances to win go down dramatically!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's it say about Sioux hockey when the near majority of posts in this thread are about fights? In Minnesota, we like hockey more than boxing.

I want a physical series, but I'm more interested in seeing back and forth action with CLEAN hits, crisp passes, speed and one timers.

Me too...it's the crap that the Gopher teams have been notorious for over the years like the after the whistle crosscheck, slash, facewash, etc. cuz I know the play is dead and the linesmen will be here in a second to protect me while I talk smack over his shoulder that Sioux fans don't care for...especially when it's not backed up.

Kind of glad the weather topic came up. How quickly do they close down freeways up there....if at all? We're staying in Fargo Thursday night so should hopefully beat it before it hits too bad. Just worried about the drive from Fargo to GF Friday. I've heard people say they close down freeways if the wind really starts howling from drifting snow.

Thanks! :D

If I were you, I'd try to get to GF on thursday evening so you are here. Imagine how frustrating it would be to get stuck an hour away in Fargo and unable to make it up for the game. Like someone said, they closed I-29 and I-94 already this year, as well as other highway routes. This winter has been the snowiest on record for GF, nasty temps too.

If I were you, I'd try to get to GF on thursday evening so you are here. Imagine how frustrating it would be to get stuck an hour away in Fargo and unable to make it up for the game. Like someone said, they closed I-29 and I-94 already this year, as well as other highway routes. This winter has been the snowiest on record for GF, nasty temps too.

Well we have all day on Friday to get to Grand Forks. If they shut down 29 we could just find some backroads. We'll have a 4-wheel drive truck so Mother Nature can bring it for all I care! :D We're up for the challenge. :D

I don't know if anyone has been following but for those of you traveling to the games this weekend it looks like the weather has taken a turn for the worse. Grand Forks is in a winter storm watch Thursday night into Friday afternoon. Apparently more heavy snow could be headed this way. Just aheads up for anyone traveling. Hope to see you there.

I just drove to Devils Lake and back this morning to pick up my deer and when I got to Hay Bale Bay the Wind was picking up already. On the way back the front is already starting to move down the road. It is going to be nasty later on this week.

Well we have all day on Friday to get to Grand Forks. If they shut down 29 we could just find some backroads. We'll have a 4-wheel drive truck so Mother Nature can bring it for all I care! :D We're up for the challenge. :D

FHG26 are you going to the KFAN remote at the Long Haul on Friday?

Yeah you don't want to drive down High Way 81 to Grand Forks.

FHG26 are you going to the KFAN remote at the Long Haul on Friday?

No. Don't see much point of it really, with no Dubay there the talk will pretty much be all Vikings and Timberwolves.....and I could do without both. :D I don't need to hear PA say how great the Vikes are and the producer JG kissing PA's arse for 3 hours. :D

No. Don't see much point of it really, with no Dubay there the talk will pretty much be all Vikings and Timberwolves.....and I could do without both. :D I don't need to hear PA say how great the Vikes are and the producer JG kissing PA's arse for 3 hours. :D

I was thinking the same thing he said there was going to be a great hockey mind there. What ever that means?

I was thinking the same thing he said there was going to be a great hockey mind there. What ever that means?

HMMMMM, I have no idea who that is supposed to be. Didn't get to hear much of the show today but I'm wondering if Nate Miller is going to be there or something? Other then that I'm not sure who it would be. Next to PA and JG Miller would be a great hockey mind. :D

Me too...it's the crap that the Gopher teams have been notorious for over the years like the after the whistle crosscheck, slash, facewash, etc. cuz I know the play is dead and the linesmen will be here in a second to protect me while I talk smack over his shoulder that Sioux fans don't care for...especially when it's not backed up.

Kind of like the Sioux are known for delivering blind side crosschecks right?

What's it say about Sioux hockey when the near majority of posts in this thread are about fights? In Minnesota, we like hockey more than boxing.

I want a physical series, but I'm more interested in seeing back and forth action with CLEAN hits, crisp passes, speed and one timers.

not at all. the topic was brought up and people responded

i agree on your 2nd part, i hope for the same

sioux sweep

I predict a Sioux sweep. It is going to be a great weekend!

Head out early, take a shuttle bus to the game, and party afterwards! Take a taxi home. Great times.

A few years back, I was on the El Roco shuttle bus on friday night that had about 10 gopher fans on it talking trash, yelling out the rouser, etc. There was a group of 4 or 5 young UND students that nearly went back and pummeled these gopher fans who looked to be in their 30s and 40s, but it never materialized, (luckily) they just started a "f the gophers" and "lets go sioux" chant to overcome the other chants.

It's a great rivalry, just make sure you don't get too stupid (on either side).

HMMMMM, I have no idea who that is supposed to be. Didn't get to hear much of the show today but I'm wondering if Nate Miller is going to be there or something? Other then that I'm not sure who it would be. Next to PA and JG Miller would be a great hockey mind. :D

PA basically said it during the Monday morning broadcast. It was during the middle segment. I hate radio teasers because I don't have the patience to wait for the rest of the story. :D

PA basically said it during the Monday morning broadcast. It was during the middle segment. I hate radio teasers because I don't have the patience to wait for the rest of the story. :D

I'm guessing PA will get Hakstol and Hill/Hastings on the air and waste their time with some stupid questions.

KFAN has shown they have no great hockey minds so I would expect the only interesting part might occur during a coach conversation.

I'm guessing PA will get Hakstol and Hill/Hastings on the air and waste their time with some stupid questions.

KFAN has shown they have no great hockey minds so I would expect the only interesting part might occur during a coach conversation.

i actually wouldnt mind listening to woog preview the series. but not sure if he would do kfan because of his job with fsn? i don't like to give any of the goofer homers props (like gorg or puffy when he was around), but i like listening to wooger for the most part.

i actually wouldnt mind listening to woog preview the series. but not sure if he would do kfan because of his job with fsn? i don't like to give any of the goofer homers props (like gorg or puffy when he was around), but i like listening to wooger for the most part.

He was on last year.

I think we should make a push to get a rube in the chair sitting next to P.A.

per brad

Weekly Wednesday update

Here is your update from both sides of the rivalry....

UND coach Dave Hakstol said that Mario Lamoureux will probably be available to play this weekend. That doesn't necessarily mean Lamoureux will be in the lineup. That's yet to be seen.

No extra activities are being planned other than the white-out. Last season, there were a lot of extra activities surrounding the game, including the green beer, early door openings, videos and the epic Dean Blais vs. Doug Woog bubble hockey match.

On the Minnesota side, assistant coach John Hill said that Don Lucia has been in the office for a couple of hours each day this week, but he has not felt well enough to skate with the team at practice. As you all know, Lucia won't be in Grand Forks this weekend.

The Gophers gave the World Junior boys -- Jordan Schroeder, Cade Fairchild and Mike Hoeffel -- the day off yesterday. They will return to normal team activities today.

Another random note: If you would like the jersey that Jonathan Toews wore at the Winter Classic, it is up for auction. Find that here. The price right now is more than $2,100 and there's still more than two weeks left in the auction.

Speaking of Toews, he was able to hang out with the Sioux in Detroit on Sunday night. The Blackhawks arrived in town for a game against the Detroit Red Wings and Toews made his way to the Sioux hotel to hang out with his old teammates and brother.