SiouxSports.com Forum

Eidsness top freshman goalie in the WCHA.

Goon

Per the WCHA stats page.

Over all Eidsness is ranked 8th in GAA and Sv%.

In league play Eidsness is ranked 7th in GAA and SV% and 5th in Winning percentage.

Hum seems Brad isn't doing to bad and he is the highest ranked Freshman goalie. I want to preface that with I don't know if there are many freshman goalies getting playing time but B.E. stats are not too shabby... Anyone still want to see Walski?

I'm going to pull a John Kerry here and say "Whoa, there."

Now, I'm all for BE over Walski, but we shouldn't waste time with putting down Walski either.

No, I don't think Walski will be seeing much action this year either, but who can really put down what he's accomplished while at UND?

No, he won't set any records or appear much in the record book even as an after thought. However, he was never much of a prized recruit. My memory is failing me, but I believe he was a recruited walk on. That being said, going from third string walk on practice goaltender to serious consideration for starting goaltender is a big accomplishment considering the goaltenders Walski "competed" against.

BE is our man, but this was basically known since he committed. Walski has done what many have only dreamed of. He was a good High School goaltender that performed adequately but not standing out at the junior level that really didn't get much DI consideration from WCHA teams to my knowledge (this isn't saying Walski wasn't recruited by DI schools or DIII schools, just at the time he was committing, I didn't see many openings for a goaltender that would have put Walski in any better situation than he walked into with UND). He was asked to walk on and got the position of third stringer behind the likes of Brandt, JPL, and JPar.

He will end his collegiate career with a degree and a 4 year member of a DI hockey organization known throughout the hockey ranks as a college powerhouse. I think that's something I'd be darn proud of.

I'm going to pull a John Kerry here and say "Whoa, there."

Now, I'm all for BE over Walski, but we shouldn't waste time with putting down Walski either.

No, I don't think Walski will be seeing much action this year either, but who can really put down what he's accomplished while at UND?

No, he won't set any records or appear much in the record book even as an after thought. However, he was never much of a prized recruit. My memory is failing me, but I believe he was a recruited walk on. That being said, going from third string walk on practice goaltender to serious consideration for starting goaltender is a big accomplishment considering the goaltenders Walski "competed" against.

BE is our man, but this was basically known since he committed. Walski has done what many have only dreamed of. He was a good High School goaltender that performed adequately but not standing out at the junior level that really didn't get much DI consideration from WCHA teams to my knowledge (this isn't saying Walski wasn't recruited by DI schools or DIII schools, just at the time he was committing, I didn't see many openings for a goaltender that would have put Walski in any better situation than he walked into with UND). He was asked to walk on and got the position of third stringer behind the likes of Brandt, JPL, and JPar.

He will end his collegiate career with a degree and a 4 year member of a DI hockey organization known throughout the hockey ranks as a college powerhouse. I think that's something I'd be darn proud of.

A little jumping to conclusions rw. It was just some ribbing of DaveK.

Walski's name wasn't mentioned at all. I would be the last person on this board to bad mouth a current or past player

unlike the bash fests that goes on sometimes.

Anybody that can play for the Sioux has my respect as I know what it takes to get to that level.

A little jumping to conclusions rw. It was just some ribbing of DaveK.

Walski's name wasn't mentioned at all. I would be the last person on this board to bad mouth a current or past player

unlike the bash fests that goes on sometimes.

Anybody that can play for the Sioux has my respect as I know what it takes to get to that level.

I just thought this warranted a little emphasis.

I do think there's a difference between critiquing someone's play and bashing the player, but I think all of us, including me, need to remember this from time to time. Thanks, Speez.

I just thought this warranted a little emphasis.

I do think there's a difference between critiquing someone's play and bashing the player, but I think all of us, including me, need to remember this from time to time. Thanks, Speez.

agree 110% on this and i hope this thread was made for fun as i highly doubt many think BE shouldnt be starting. if a player is playing well or has played well or not playing well they can be called out either way without getting personal that is. BE is the man but dont make this is BE vs walski thing as im guessing thats what this thread is about. BE numbers arent even stand out compared to the league so the numbers posted dont seem to make any sense. bottom line is wins and losses and who gives the team the best chance to win and thats been decided. go sioux, beat the scsu "one and doners" with another great team effort weekend

BE numbers arent even stand out compared to the league so the numbers posted dont seem to make any sense. bottom line is wins and losses and who gives the team the best chance to win and thats been decided.

If you look at the numbers you will see that B.E. numbers are comparable with other goalies in the WCHA. BE is also the only Starting Freshman goalie that I see right now playing in the WCHA.

If you look at the numbers you will see that B.E. numbers are comparable with other goalies in the WCHA. BE is also the only Starting Freshman goalie that I see right now playing in the WCHA.

i get your point

he is the only starting freshman goalie because thats how it played out with every other program and what years their goalies happen to be. his numbers are fine and have been and are only getting better, especially the shot stat padding the harvard stat crew came up with on friday night ??? the main thing is the wins and 3 out of the last 4 is great and thats a direct result of the sioux scoring goals in 3 of the 4 games and BE being very solid in each of the games. saying hes 7th in the league isnt really a stat considering there are only 10 teams. that was my point i guess. BE is the man for the sioux and barring a huge setback he will start a ton more games this season. go sioux, lets sweep the "one and doners"

If the coaching staff felt Walski was so terrible that he doesn't deserve to start at any point in his career, then they shouldn't have ever put him on the roster at all. That way he could have walked on at a lesser school and at least been able to PLAY rather than see his entire college hockey career go to waste. I really feel for the kid.

As for Eidsness, he's not bad but then again how many freshman goalies are really tearing it up this year? Not much to compare him to. He's okay. Not bad, but not great. He's no Lamoureux or Parise, that's for sure.

no lammy or parise ??? come on dave, a little early to make that statement dont you think.........he has 3 to 4 years to help lead a team to a national title which neither of those players have so lets wait a but before making such a bold statement

ummm, its not that hes that bad at all. why do you feel for the kid? he came in as a 3rd string walk on and knew he didnt have a pro college hockey career in front of him or that much of a chance to play many games at UND. hes getting his education and seems to be a hell of a teammate and guy overall. hes pushing BE in practice which is very important and most walk on goalies know their situation when they step on campus. i bet if you asked aaron himself he would tell you his college career is far from a waste. its a hell of a story for a walk on to last 4 years actually and then to move up to 2nd string. how the heck can you compare BE to jpar and phil lamoureux after 13 career starts his freshman season? not even logical to say that at this point. not even close. you dont need freshman goalies to compare him to. i see a young goalie thats doing very well and making saves when needed. its obvious its more about you feeling bad for a 3rd string walk on goalie from fargo than anything. i think ill go with the coaching staff on this one and say BE is the starter and will be every game until he proves otherwise as the sioux are moving in the right direction

again......my points arent a slam at AW at all. i dont even need to state that but i want to as i respect the hell out of every sioux player and how he has climbed from walk on to 2nd string at a top tier division 1 college hockey program but the situation is very clear

There are a lot of kids out there who play college hockey and have no shot at playing pro. Walski goes through all the work or practicing with the team and isn't given the reward of playing time in real game situations. Maybe if UND hadn't put him on their roster he may have landed at a school like Canisius or Qinnipiac, leading to significantly more playing time. I don't think any goalie should be put on the roster of any team for the mere purpose of being used in practice exclusively. If a team doesn't think a goalie is good enough to play in games then they shouldn't think he's good enough to wear their jersey period.

Dave, get off it already. Walski knew the situation when he came to ND. He's a good goalie, nobody's saying any different. But Eidsness is clearly the guy that will be starting the lion's share of the games (if not all) from here on out.

There are a lot of kids out there who play college hockey and have no shot at playing pro. Walski goes through all the work or practicing with the team and isn't given the reward of playing time in real game situations. Maybe if UND hadn't put him on their roster he may have landed at a school like Canisius or Qinnipiac, leading to significantly more playing time. I don't think any goalie should be put on the roster of any team for the mere purpose of being used in practice exclusively. If a team doesn't think a goalie is good enough to play in games then they shouldn't think he's good enough to wear their jersey period.

What about all the kids that are on the UND FB team, UND basketball teams, pick any team and practice for 4(+) years and don't see "real" game time or very little of it? Kids choose the college they attend based on multiple reason, athletics just being one of them. Many go into college sports knowing that they have little chance to "play", but are more about wearing the jersey and helping the team anyway they can. Doubt that most college athletes are looking for an entitlement based on seniority. Coaches at this level play the players that give them the best chance to win and rightly so. If Walski, or any college athlete, felt he was being slighted at any point at UND, he has the right to ask for a transfer. But unlike you, who feels that everyone has an entitlement coming their way, my guess would be that Walski is most proud "to wear their (UND's) jersey" above all else.

If the coaching staff felt Walski was so terrible that he doesn't deserve to start at any point in his career, then they shouldn't have ever put him on the roster at all. That way he could have walked on at a lesser school and at least been able to PLAY rather than see his entire college hockey career go to waste. I really feel for the kid.

As for Eidsness, he's not bad but then again how many freshman goalies are really tearing it up this year? Not much to compare him to. He's okay. Not bad, but not great. He's no Lamoureux or Parise, that's for sure.

That's why they brought Greico in a couple years back, but he left the team and thus we have Walski as our backup this year and not 3rd string.

It was Walski's choice to join the team. If he thought his situation was so bad, he could have left under his own free will and pursued playing time elsewhere. He didn't. 'Nuff said.

PS. Who are you to say his college career was a "waste?"

Regardless of what sport we're talking about, I feel for any kid that has to practice with the team but doesn't get the reward of playing in games. I liked the way Dean Blais did it when he had Karl Goehring and Andy Kollar as his goalies. There was no question that Karl was the better goalie, but Dean was fair to Andy and let him play one out of every four or five games. Hak hasn't been fair to Aaron Walksi IMHO.

You must have hated the movie "Rudy". Walski has already got to play more than him. This isn't mite hockey, it is big time college hockey. Do you know how many players sit on the bench every year or even have their scholarship pulled in major college sports? So was Dean unfair to Ryan Sofie then?

come on dave. are you serious? his dream was to play for the sioux and put that uniform on and he knew his role from the get go and im sure he understood this season he would get a shot and the coaches have decided BE is the guy. EVERY team has a 3rd goalie dave that NEVER plays and walski is the exception to that as he worked hard to get to the 2nd strring spot. if he wanted playing time he would have transfered a year or 2 ago dave. every team has the same siatuation with walk on goalies and sometimes even a walk on no goalie that may not play more than 5 to 10 games their wole career. its part of the system to have those types of players. there are teams this seasn that has only played 1 goalie. should the 2nd stringers who probably knew they wouldnt play maybe 1 or 2 games just quit and then lets not even go talk about the 3rd stringer who wont see any pucks besides the practice pucks guarenteed.

Regardless of what sport we're talking about, I feel for any kid that has to practice with the team but doesn't get the reward of playing in games. I liked the way Dean Blais did it when he had Karl Goehring and Andy Kollar as his goalies. There was no question that Karl was the better goalie, but Dean was fair to Andy and let him play one out of every four or five games. Hak hasn't been fair to Aaron Walksi IMHO.

being fair?? this isnt 3rd grade. its a top tier division 1 hockey program battling for national titles EVERY season possible. you seem to be missing the point on certian rles on teams. many players in many cllege sports go get their eduaction and sit on the bench because it was their dream to be on that team. maybe they could have played division 2 or 3 but thats THEIR choice. the coach doesnt force you to be on the team. you choose to when you are a walk on and so forth. if you dont like it then move on somewhere else and its CLEAR walski knew his role and knows his role now and for himt to have even 4 starts on his college career is 4 more than many many former 3rd string walk on goalies ever had.

I never said it was Mite hockey. I said if you're willing to go through the hard work in practice you should be given a chance to play. If the coaches don't think you're good enough to play in games they shouldn't get your hopes up by putting you on the roster to begin with.

HE KNEW HIS ROLE

and still does

he is getting his degree im sure of and if he wanted to leave he could have 3 years ago or last year. nobody is forcing him to stay and im sure he wold tell you this day that he never thought he would have the honest chance at a back up role let alone starting 4 games in his career as well. he seems to be a hell of a teammate and seems to have pushed BE into a solid goalie and has started 3 games. you dont seem to get it at all when it comes to roles and playing as you seem to think its 5th grade basketball when every in guarenteed 2 quarters or is it more about walski being from fargo. thats my guess as you did mention that in a post previously.

just gona drop this and agree to disagree dave. i respect others opinions but this isnt going anywhere and you seem to be the only one that doesnt get this

I never said it was Mite hockey. I said if you're willing to go through the hard work in practice you should be given a chance to play. If the coaches don't think you're good enough to play in games they shouldn't get your hopes up by putting you on the roster to begin with.

So what you're saying is Walski should be given a chance to play, or to use one of your terms, is ENTITLED to start due to the work he's put in over the years; but Eidsness shouldn't be ENTITLED to start because he's only a freshman regardless of the results on the ice.

Gee, I get it now... ???

I guess I just want to know if you were speaking up for Nate Ziegelmann a few years back? He didn't get playing time and transfered to Duluth, and didn't get a whole lot there either. Were both programs in the wrong there? I think Walski would have gotten more starts if the Sioux weren't in such a precarious situation right now. Bottom line is when you do get your chance you better shine, and while you can't blame everything on Walski in the games he played, did he do enough to outshine Eidsness?

so...do they bring in a walk-on 'tender for next year, a schloarship guy, or something in between?

who knows. harrington may be the back up next year or maybe they go for another goalie as well. its no secret eidsness is the goalie now and the goalie of the future for the sioux so that has a lot to do with who would even consider coming to UND. its a different tme in recruiting as everyone wants to play NOW so we will see.