SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This from a fan who loves the Canadian enthusiasm for this game that I love so much ....:

Once again, the referees are being intimidated into not calling penalties against Canada and calling too many on their opponent.

Canada may well be the best team, but we'll never really know because of the large favoritism they're getting.

Let's get more of these tournaments on neutral ice.

Care to explain the decent juniors program comment?

The question is whether or not the U17 and U18 programs need to exist or would the money be better spent trying to make the USHL better or the moving the NAHL to TierI. Truthfully I'd be OK with a few more years of USNDPT if they would work harder to get the elite level US coaches to take turns or --gasp-- get some Canadian help running the show.

I'd much prefer they work with the college system and work to get guys like Eaves, Lucia, Red, York, Parker, etc... I'd like to see this approach tried more frequently unless the college coaches don't want any part of it.

Canada doesn't have this issue because they have overwhelming numbers and talent and comparisons to their tryout evals aren't really fair. On good years the US may be close to matching them on the top two lines. But most years Canada will be better on the top and deeper so they can really run a tryout anyway they want and they will still have a better team. It isn't their system that gives them a better team, it is their better players. Almost every year Canada is a lot better on the blue line and in nets than the US. Losing to them hurts, but really can't be a surprise.

The games that I struggle with are getting blown out by the Russians, tying the Swiss, getting worked by the Slovaks.

Because the US team is pretty much a big joke right now. As others have also posted in the last few pages of this thread.

The performance in this tournament has nothing to do with the junior program in the United States. The talent was there offensively and defensively, goalkeeping was a HUGE issue, and Rolston was not a good choice as a coach. Anyone with knowledge of the players selected would have told you the US had the second, or at worst the third most talented squad in Ottawa this week. They just never put it together. I'm not sure how that's a reflection on the junior program in the US.

The games that I struggle with are getting blown out by the Russians, tying the Swiss, getting worked by the Slovaks.

I agree with you on the other games, but when did we get worked by the Slovaks? Didn't we outshoot them like 50-20? Just because it looked like a squirt goalie suited up for team USA, doesn't mean we got worked. USA dominated action throughout.

Canada winning this tournament is like the U.S. winning gold in basketball. Some people may get all hyped up over it, but really they're the ones that should win it year in and year out. I bet one in about 10,000 people in the U.S. know any of the players on the U.S. team. The Canadian players are household names by this point in time.

Heck, I bet if you asked 10,000 people in the U.S. maybe five would know what the world junior tournament is... :D

I completely agree with an earlier post about selecting Buffalo for the next one in the states. They should put the tournament down in Phoenix Arizona, maybe then the U.S. team wouldn't get booed off the ice.

It's a very cool thing every time O Canada is played at a hockey game because EVERYONE sings along! Just think how awesome that would be if people in the US had enough pride to learn the words to our anthem AND sing along with it when it played! I don't know many people that know the words to the Star Spangled Banner, and I know even less people who sing along to it.

A cool side note to this tournament and Team Canada with Fighting Sioux ties. In case you didn't know, Brad Pascall who played for the Sioux from 1988-1992 is the Senior Director/General Manager for Team Canada. I sat down with him, Wayne Gretzky and 2 others when the tournament was in Grand Forks and bought them a beer. I could hardly speak when talking with Gretzky.

I'm not sure how long Pascall has been in that position or if he does it for any of the other Team Canada men's teams, but I know he is for the World Junior team.

A cool side note to this tournament and Team Canada with Fighting Sioux ties. In case you didn't know, Brad Pascall who played for the Sioux from 1988-1992 is the Senior Director/General Manager for Team Canada. I sat down with him, Wayne Gretzky and 2 others when the tournament was in Grand Forks and bought them a beer. I could hardly speak when talking with Gretzky.

I'm not sure how long Pascall has been in that position or if he does it for any of the other Team Canada men's teams, but I know he is for the World Junior team.

That is pretty awesome.