SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS SEAWOLVES

AZSIOUX

Student section needs to cheer more, make some more noise. They seem really quiet.

Not to jump on you but please don't get us into this discussion. The student section is quiet due to rules that we are given when we get our season tickets. We are not allowed to stand when the puck is in play except for when it is appropriate and we are allowed to stand until the first whistle at the start of the periods. We are to limit our four letter words, but the band is told to start a cheer over us everytime that we start one. There is to be no drunk and disorderly conduct...any violation of these rules will result in your being kicked out of the game and possible loss of your tickets.

FYI, the band normally only plays the beer song after a goal, so if you didn't stay for the entire game on Friday, you didn't hear it. I believe we sang it at least once after the goals...i can't remember for sure.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are to limit our four letter words, but the band is told to start a cheer over us everytime that we start one.

Any cheer or any cheer with a four letter word. In the first case that would be stupid.

I'm pretty sure that if I were to get drunk and disorderly, stand for the entire game or say four letter words to excess.

Do you think the rules are different in the old-people's section?

Any cheer or any cheer with a four letter word. In the first case that would be stupid.

I'm pretty sure that if I were to get drunk and disorderly, stand for the entire game or say four letter words to excess.

Do you think the rules are different in the old-people's section?

no, i was just explaining why the student section is normally quiet. I don't care to get into the arguement over behavior with anyone. I don't do the cheers with four letter words anyway, that is just the reason that was given to us as to why we weren't supposed to say some of the cheers. I go to the hockey games for the hockey game, not to do the cheers or to stand for the entire game or to get drunk. Those are just the rules that are told to us each year, I don't know what they say to the other sections, but I am assuming that it is the same.

I was just replying to Budlight to explain why the student section was so quiet and to ask that we please not get into the same arguement that we get into every year.

& don't stand up in front of others until after they really score

I always wonder how they would like it if they missed most goals ?

You don't have to stand & block others view to be loud & cheer

You really think everyone should stand the whole game ?

It's Selfish - Rude & Immature

Swearing chants make you look stupid - I am glad they are cracking down on the nonsense

It's amazing how few really watch the game - so many yacking on cell phones & texting

some of us want to see Hockey - it's not a 60 minute party

???:):D:sad:

:silly:

Not to jump on you but please don't get us into this discussion. The student section is quiet due to rules that we are given when we get our season tickets. We are not allowed to stand when the puck is in play except for when it is appropriate and we are allowed to stand until the first whistle at the start of the periods. We are to limit our four letter words, but the band is told to start a cheer over us everytime that we start one. There is to be no drunk and disorderly conduct...any violation of these rules will result in your being kicked out of the game and possible loss of your tickets.

FYI, the band normally only plays the beer song after a goal, so if you didn't stay for the entire game on Friday, you didn't hear it. I believe we sang it at least once after the goals...i can't remember for sure.

ahhh ummm yes I was told I could not do that...

Um that is not OK.. umm the rules say... ahh we are going to get in trouble..

um please sir. ahhh don't talk about the rules. please. we just follow them..

They told me to not do that. I'm going to just sit here cause I'm not going to be singled out.

ummm please we shouldn't talk about it. They might hear us and take our tickets away.

I really don't want them to see me.. I love my tickets please let me stay.

ahhh I'm sorry. I will be good. I will not break the rules. I have memorized them....

ahhh don't single me out. ahhh the guy over there is not following the rules. yes him.... the third seat in from the isle.

Yes, you should take him away and his friend too. I think he has a gopher in his pocket... don't worry about me I am being good..

.... DON'T be SUCH A """"sy!!!

12,000 seats and a nothing!!

Maybe we need 12,000 Purpiches in the stands?:sad:

students should be allowed to stand the whole game. it creates a more intimidating atmosphere overall. its a joke that they arent allowed to. why? because of the suite holders? im assuming thats the only reason if they cant see. its a college sport, come on. 4 letter chants dont happen often but will happen and they cant do a thing about it. be loud and crazy and throw dead animals on the ice :sad:

this is brought up every season and its the same stuff.

Not to cut down on anyone and sorry if this was mentioned, but what happened to the drummer for the UND band? There was a female for these particular games and they hardly ever started the 'lets go sioux' chant using the drum. Many people seem to get more involved with loud noises :sad: More and more I want the old arena back. Between the sadness of the music they play during breaks in play and the apparent rules they have for students and the band (is there?), I doubt this arena will ever get loud except for them alaska, almost come from behind, type of games. The band could really get the crowd going more if they wanted to, or help out at least. Pin drops can be heard 90% of the time in that arena.

Not to cut down on anyone and sorry if this was mentioned, but what happened to the drummer for the UND band? There was a female for these particular games and they hardly ever started the 'lets go sioux' chant using the drum. Many people seem to get more involved with loud noises :sad: More and more I want the old arena back. Between the sadness of the music they play during breaks in play and the apparent rules they have for students and the band (is there?), I doubt this arena will ever get loud except for them alaska, almost come from behind, type of games. The band could really get the crowd going more if they wanted to, or help out at least. Pin drops can be heard 90% of the time in that arena.

the band can really help the noise factor and chants. no doubt about it. the band is key for that type of stuff and to get chants going during big PK or PP or other times during the game where it may get quiet.

the band can really help the noise factor and chants. no doubt about it. the band is key for that type of stuff and to get chants going during big PK or PP or other times during the game where it may get quiet.

the only rule 'back in the day' was to be loud all the time...the band and the student section were a huge factor in the games; of course in 1987 we had a lot to cheer about...

the only rule 'back in the day' was to be loud all the time...the band and the student section were a huge factor in the games; of course in 1987 we had a lot to cheer about...

i understand the size of the arena makes for a different setting and enviroment but it still can be loud if chosen to be. its not the old ralph as we all know so its silly to compare them. i know you didnt blackheart, im just saying that in general but the students should be on their feet the whole game except timeouts and intermissions to chill out for a minute. the band is key as well as stated.

Not to cut down on anyone and sorry if this was mentioned, but what happened to the drummer for the UND band? There was a female for these particular games and they hardly ever started the 'lets go sioux' chant using the drum.

The regular drummer was out of town for a conference over the weekend. I was confused too until I texted him to ask where he was :sad:

i understand the size of the arena makes for a different setting and enviroment but it still can be loud if chosen to be. its not the old ralph as we all know so its silly to compare them. i know you didnt blackheart, im just saying that in general but the students should be on their feet the whole game except timeouts and intermissions to chill out for a minute. the band is key as well as stated.

Honestly, we didn't stand the whole time, but g*dd*mmit, we were into the game and cheering at the right times...and not just when the puck went into the net...People bich about the band but it used to really get the crowd going...of course at the old place, the 6000 plus in attendance were there to see the game; not there to be seen...

Honestly, we didn't stand the whole time, but g*dd*mmit, we were into the game and cheering at the right times...and not just when the puck went into the net...People bich about the band but it used to really get the crowd going...of course at the old place, the 6000 plus in attendance were there to see the game; not there to be seen...

I was at this weekend's series (my wife got to ride on the Zamboni Friday... a lifelong dream :sad: ) and I too noticed the lack of "loudness" from the student section. I guess it's probably age and looking back at things with rose-tinted glasses, but even during the drought of the early 90s, which is when I was in school, I would bet money that a half filled student section at the old arena was louder then the entire Ralph now....even for non-marquee matchups against the Seawolves.

But you know what? I don't blame the students. They're trying. Who's bright idea was it to confine the STUDENT BODY to the damn upper deck? Hey! Did anyone forget this was COLLEGE hockey? You know, an institution with COLLEGE STUDENTS? It should be THEIR arena, not some fuddy-duddy, kicking back in my leather seat fatass alumni. Eff the alumni. (And I'm one of them). Putting in that many suites, where bitchy people whining about foul language and their "views" getting obstructed would become an issue, was a mistake in the design of that arena.

Like everyone else, I was amazed by the building, but a little voice in the back of my head was asking "how does this help?" over many things I saw. A bar at either end (exclusive bars where you need special access no less)....why? One lady let us into the "organ" bar (I think that's what she called it) to snap a couple of pictures ("before the bigwigs get here" she said) and while impressive in and of itself, I couldn't figure out how it would help me watch hockey if I was ever "lucky" enough to be granted admission during the game.

I was at this weekend's series (my wife got to ride on the Zamboni Friday... a lifelong dream :sad: ) and I too noticed the lack of "loudness" from the student section. I guess it's probably age and looking back at things with rose-tinted glasses, but even during the drought of the early 90s, which is when I was in school, I would bet money that a half filled student section at the old arena was louder then the entire Ralph now....even for non-marquee matchups against the Seawolves.

But you know what? I don't blame the students. They're trying. Who's bright idea was it to confine the STUDENT BODY to the damn upper deck? Hey! Did anyone forget this was COLLEGE hockey? You know, an institution with COLLEGE STUDENTS?

Funny I thought there were students sitting on the main level all the way down to the ice in front of the students sitting in the upper deck.

It should be THEIR arena, not some fuddy-duddy, kicking back in my leather seat fatass alumni. Eff the alumni. (And I'm one of them). Putting in that many suites, where bitchy people whining about foul language and their "views" getting obstructed would become an issue, was a mistake in the design of that arena.

Who exactly is it that pays the bills? I don't think it's the students.

A bar at either end (exclusive bars where you need special access no less)....why? One lady let us into the "organ" bar (I think that's what she called it) to snap a couple of pictures ("before the bigwigs get here" she said) and while impressive in and of itself, I couldn't figure out how it would help me watch hockey if I was ever "lucky" enough to be granted admission during the game.

I've never been up there for a game as I'm there to see the game. I guess I don't worry about people that want to do something else as long as it doesn't bother me.

Funny I thought there were students sitting on the main level all the way down to the ice in front of the students sitting in the upper deck.

I've never been up there for a game as I'm there to see the game. I guess I don't worry about people that want to do something else as long as it doesn't bother me.

Moving a token number of students down to the ice level actually makes it worse. Whoopee, you've given a portion of the students a whole section! Now they are split up into 2 groups, making it even HARDER to generate a home crowd noise. Way to go!

I guess the "alumni first, students last" faction should have just lobbied for a minor league pro team to come to GF if that's what they really wanted. Everyone else gets the fact that a college hockey team is an extension of a college/university...which exists to serve college/university students. "We pay the bills"...whatever. Do they want to take over the dorms too? After all, as ND taxpayers they "pay the bills" in part there too.

My only major complaint about the bars is that it takes away any chance to give a large block section to the students. They could have dedicated one end entirely to the student body. No suites, no exclusive bars. Just let the students have an end where they can stand and not bother anyone behind them.

Students don't pay bills?? Really, what planet are you living on?? Were you ever a college student??

It is 2008, almost 2009. College tuition prices are going up 15% a year. It doesn't matter if you're a state resident or out-of-state, as a student they are paying a lot of money for a lot of things. Tuition, room and board (or rent on a house/apt), books (which can cost some students up to $900 a semester), a computer and/or a laptop, food (yeah I know, everyone pays for food), furniture for their place of living, among all the miscellaneous things that college students love to have.

The way I see it, the students should have a lot of say in what goes on at Sioux hockey games seeing that they are paying a lot of money to be in college and helping to pay off the costs of the Ralph. But, they don't really have any say in what goes on, and they have almost 20% of the seats in the arena. Students should have somewhat of a say in what goes on in the arena, at least at Sioux hockey games.

OK, go ahead and jump all over that post. I love seeing all the crap people say on this site :sad:

How is standing selfish, rude, and immature
I could have added Obnoxious when the Rouser is being done :D

I have said before it is too bad the Ralph could not take out a Bar or a few Suites & let you guys stand & do what ever in your section - AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT BOTHER ANYONE ELSE

But that ain't going to happen

& I was thinking about students & general idiots, who sit in other areas of the arena & jump up everytime the action looks like something may happen :) (& guess what - they are going to hear about it, or someone will find a Usher to Usher them out ???

Don't you get it, that many behind you, have to jump up at the exact same time in order to see the play - (If everyone sits all can see) - then jump & scream & go crazy all you want to ..............I do too :silly:

When do they teach (Thinking things threw to logical conclusions) :sad:

I could have added Obnoxious when the Rouser is being done ???

I have said before it is too bad the Ralph could not take out a Bar or a few Suites & let you guys stand & do what ever in your section - AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT BOTHER ANYONE ELSE

But that ain't going to happen

& I was thinking about students & general idiots, who sit in other areas of the arena & jump up everytime the action looks like something may happen :sad: (& guess what - they are going to hear about it, or someone will find a Usher to Usher them out :)

Maybe everyone should stand up then :silly:

Maybe everyone should stand up then :sad:

That is the problem when you stand up and cheer there are others that don't or won't cheer, nor will they get involved with the game these are the ones that should watch that game from home. Thesea are also the same people that get upset when people stand up and cheer for a fight, check or goal.

That is the problem when you stand up and cheer there are others that don't or won't cheer, nor will they get involved with the game these are the ones that should watch that game from home. Thesea are also the same people that get upset when people stand up and cheer for a fight, check or goal.

I agree 100%! Sorry, Goon. :sad:

These people that are at a hockey game and get upset when someone gets up to cheer, irritate the crap out of me. I understand non-students should sit to watch the game for the most part. However, when something exciting happens..great hit, pass or move in the neutral-zone is as impressive as one near the goal mouth and reason to stand. True fans appreciate the little things and should stand to acknowledge them. Nothing wrong with cheering the nuances of the game as well as the goals. Waiting list for gopher season tickets since 96 (almost to the top :)) . When I see empty seats and people sitting when great plays and goals happen, makes me wonder how much the schools care about fan and student body experience. Get better seats or watch from home. Your lame ass is ruining it for me.

Yes, I know not everyone can stand for numerous reasons. Not the target here.

I went to UND from 1986-1991 and moved away to California for a job. I moved back to the area several years ago and have been to 10 games at the new Ralph. I love the building but it's morgue-like. The students should be behind the opposing goal raising hell. Could you imagine if they told the Cameron Crazies to sit down and behave? I don't get it. This is college and the kids should be having the time of their lives like i did watching Eddy, Tony, Ian, Bobby, and the gang. What happened to our home ice advanage? It's a sad day when St Cloud's arena is louder. We are turning into gopher fans @ home.