SiouxSports.com Forum

Time for the Fire Hakstol thread

Goon

That's right and this year, there is a banner at one end of REA showing all of our league playoff titles and another one showing all our Frozen Four appearances. We have hung two banners total during Hak's regime (2004 for the MacNaughton Cup and 2006 for the Final Five title). With the talent we have had in this program, we should have more than that.

those aren't even banners it just is big board that says the years they've been acomplished. it looks more like something scsu or cc would do. maybe this was hak's way of saying "see I've hung something in the ralph" what a frickin joke. the only banners that should be hung are the green and white ones. none of which will happen this year. I think it says a lot about the state of the program when your goal is to just finish in the top 5 of the league instead of winning the damn thing.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those aren't even banners it just is big board that says the years they've been acomplished. it looks more like something scsu or cc would do. maybe this was hak's way of saying "see I've hung something int he ralph" what a frickin joke. the only banners that should be hung are the green and white ones. none of which will happen this year.

You're right. I heard from a guy that Hakstol's wife made those new banners, and Hakstol personally went up into the rafters to hang them up, just so it would look like he did something with this team.

True story.

You're right. I heard from a guy that Hakstol's wife made those new banners, and Hakstol personally went up into the rafters to hang them up, just so it would look like he did something with this team.

True story.

Seriously? If not it sure sounded good. :sad:

those aren't even banners it just is big board that says the years they've been acomplished. it looks more like something scsu or cc would do. maybe this was hak's way of saying "see I've hung something in the ralph" what a frickin joke. the only banners that should be hung are the green and white ones. none of which will happen this year. I think it says a lot about the state of the program when your goal is to just finish in the top 5 of the league instead of winning the damn thing.

I agree totally, we don't hang participation banners like everyone else does. We only hang CHAMPIONSHIP BANNERS! :sad:

I do like the two banners hung on behalf of the Sioux Tribes ???

What happened to "you won't see a change in style of play"? :sad:

Who to replace Hak with?

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

(Close circuit to Cary Eades: You are perceived as part of the problem, not part of the solution, right now. Sorry, you are.)

Sicatoka, I think it is going to take a lot to fire Hakstol, it would probably take a few 7th place finishes or a real big incident by a couple of players.

Personally, I don't see it in the cards. In retrospect I wish the University would have opened the job up to competition and have a national search for a coach and I know there were a few people that wanted Steve Johnson to coach the team.

Personally I wasn't all that excited when Hak was announced as the coach I have always thought Brad Berry was the better of the

two coaches. Oh well! Sioux fans are stuck with him so I guess we have to get behind him. ???

Sicatoka, I think it is going to take a lot to fire Hakstol, it would probably take a few 7th place finishes or a real big incident by a couple of players.

Personally, I don't see it in the cards. In retrospect I wish the University would have opened the job up to competition and have a national search for a coach and I know there were a few people that wanted Steve Johnson to coach the team.

Personally I wasn't all that excited when Hak was announced as the coach I have always thought Brad Berry was the better of the

two coaches. Oh well! Sioux fans are stuck with him so I guess we have to get behind him. :sad:

Wasn't Jeff Jackson available at the time? He's proven he can win at places like Lake State and Notre Dame, I don't even wanna know how well he would've done at UND.

Wasn't Jeff Jackson available at the time? He's proven he can win at places like Lake State and Notre Dame, I don't even wanna know how well he would've done at UND.

Wasn't Jackson coach of the U-18 USTD at the time? I am not sure.

Give Hakstol a break, he's a good coach, his problem is he's getting no senior leadership. Duncan, Kozek, Wadkins, Miller, nothing. If we're going to lose lets get the freshmen some playing time for experience next year. Blood, Finehage, Toews, Lammy should be playing every shift.

blais has a email address on the forces website. should we start emailing him begging him to come back or at least take over our recruiting for us.

That isn't going to happen. Blais has said he doesn't want to coach college again. I remember reading that somewhere.

That isn't going to happen. Blais has said he doesn't want to coach college again. I remember reading that somewhere.

I believe he was in an interview on one of the local news stations talking about the USHL and how he enjoys it and wouldn't go back to college. To hope for Blais to come back to replace Hakstol is probably never going to happen. Let's hope they can get it straighened out and try to take a couple wins from BSU this weekend. Losing to the bottom feeders of the WCHA and CCHA in back to back games wasn't exactly the prime of UND Hockey.

While I don't think Hakstol is completely blameless (he should have the team prepared to deal with trap teams or small, speedy teams; which he clearly hasn't over the last couple of years) I think the blame rests more on his assistants and some of the upper classmen than on him. I think the defense has been a major concern ever since Berry left. UND is still getting good defensive recruits, but they are not being developed like they should. We can criticize Finley, Lee, Lapoint, etc. for not cutting it, but bottom line is that the coaches are supposed to be there to guide and develop the talent, and frankly that just hasn't happened over the last 2 years. Lets look at Lee for example, I too criticized his play, but look at how well he is doing at the AHL/NHL level. There was obviously something missing at UND to make that jump and he has found it at the next level. I have nothing against UND's assistants, but I don't think they are developing talent like they should, they expect it to come in and perform without any help. Another prime example is that a program the size and history of UND does not employ a goalie coach, unlike many other programs. While Hakstol hasn't fixed many of the issues, he also hasn't caused them. Its time for the assistants and upperclassmen to step up and give Hak a hand, Is Hak perfect, hell no, but to want to fire a guy that will have 1 non - NCAA tournament season in his first 5 is ridiculous, just move down south and become a fan of football if you want that type of attitude, otherwise settle down, give him some time and lets see how the rest of the season and next year pan out. Maybe after 3-4 losing years we can start this thread up again.

everybody keeps saying our problem is defense,defense,defense. our problems this weekend and over the last couple of years haven't been defense it's been our offense and our inability to consistantly score 4 goals, let alone 3. we give up 2 goals a game this weekend and don't win one game the majority of the blame goes to the offense.

everybody keeps saying our problem is defense,defense,defense. our problems this weekend and over the last couple of years haven't been defense it's been our offense and our inability to consistantly score 4 goals, let alone 3. we give up 2 goals a game this weekend and don't win one game the majority of the blame goes to the offense.

sure is. giving up 2 goals per game isnt the problem. scoring 1 friken goal per game is the problem. we were rolling before the break scoring then they cant score. as ive said and its statistically reported if we score 3 we win. i think only the loss to CC have we lost scoring 3 or more. the offense is to blame this last weekends mess and the PP was awful

I hate to use Sica's favorite four words but....

I.told.you.so.

Folks, before the tourney I said that I wouldn't be surprised if MSU and MTU both scored 2 goals against us. Why? Because that's what every team has averaged against us.

Giving up 2 goals per game is NOT bad at all. I think most teams at any level would be HAPPY to average that in today's rules and skill levels of players.

The problem is offense. We aren't scoring goals. When we do, we score in droves, but that doesn't mean anything. I'd rather win 3 straight games 3-2 than to lose two 2-1 then win the next 10-2.

Offensive consistency is a HUGE problem. The fact that it is there sometimes and not there other times does not lead me to believe that it is coaching. If offense hasn't been there all year long (like MTU), then there might be something to the coaching problem.

However, the coach can only do so much, and finishing isn't one of those things. Our offense is the issue this year. Our D has been fantastic and, quite frankly, Eidsness has done EXTREMELY well considering his lack of experience.

Score goals and we win games. That's where we are at right now.