SiouxSports.com Forum

DII Playoffs

bincitysioux

UMD ends up 11-0, I wonder what that record would look like if the NCC hadn't fallen apart?

I don't think they would have gone undefeated, but I do think UMD would have won the NCC this year if it had existed. They have a very good team and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see UMD give Grand Valley quite a battle in a couple of weeks.

I don't think they would have gone undefeated, but I do think UMD would have won the NCC this year if it had existed. They have a very good team and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see UMD give Grand Valley quite a battle in a couple of weeks.

I'll spot you +14 and laugh, LaUgH, LAUGH!! all the way to the bank!!! It's won't even be close...deal or no deal?

Once again GVSU will walk through the regionals. If it had not been for the new regional alignment, UND and GVSU would have likely played against each other for the National Championship a few more years. Too bad that in DII they want to make sure that the top 2 teams in the country don't play each other in the National Championship, especially if they are from the same region.

Thanks USD and NDSU. :whistling:

That is one of the biggest reasons I am glad we left DII. Regional tournaments are horrible. The best teams in the nations should meet up in the championship game, not the regional first or second round.

Uh huh?:whistling: UND, USD, and likely UNO would have all beat the Dogs.

Face it, the NSIC is a powder puff league. If the Sioux rolling up their conference champ in the first round of the playoffs every year doesn't tell you that then I don't know what to say. Shoot, USD blew out WSU last year, the game was pathetic, we tinkered around with them.

How easy would it be to recruit at GVSU? "Well son, we pretty much dominate our top heavy league every year, and we basically get a bye the first two rounds of the playoffs...if you play with us and win two games, you'll have a Nat Champs ring. How's that sound?"

I think they are clearly better than they have been the past several seasons, but I don't know how much of that is them and how much is a result of playing all the weak NSIC teams. I haven't seen them play this year so I don't know but I don't doubt they could have beat UND, USD, or UNO this year. I think Central Washington is likely better this year than all 3 teams I just mentioned. I hope they move on through the playoff and pound GV, but I don't think it likely they can get a win with that head to head matchup.

RD17 - Does ACU have a good shot at winning the D2 title this year?

I'll stick with what I said... I think UMD would have won the NCC this year. I have talked to two different coaches on other teams- people that watch game film and assess these teams- and they have said the same thing. Plus, UNO and UND are obviously down this year and I don't think Central Washington is nearly as good as UMD on defense. Keep in mind that that UMD completely dominated everyone they played this year including St. Cloud, Augie, and Missouri Western- all on the road.

I think they are clearly better than they have been the past several seasons, but I don't know how much of that is them and how much is a result of playing all the weak NSIC teams. I haven't seen them play this year so I don't know but I don't doubt they could have beat UND, USD, or UNO this year. I think Central Washington is likely better this year than all 3 teams I just mentioned. I hope they move on through the playoff and pound GV, but I don't think it likely they can get a win with that head to head matchup.

RD17 - Does ACU have a good shot at winning the D2 title this year?

Yes, I think ACU is probably the favorite but they'll have some very tough games just to get out of the region. I've seen ACU play live and I don't know if I've ever seen another D2 team with the talent they have at the skill positions on offense... the QB, RB, and top WR may all get drafted.

I'll stick with what I said... I think UMD would have won the NCC this year. I have talked to two different coaches on other teams- people that watch game film and assess these teams- and they have said the same thing. Plus, UNO and UND are obviously down this year and I don't think Central Washington is nearly as good as UMD on defense. Keep in mind that that UMD completely dominated everyone they played this year including St. Cloud, Augie, and Missouri Western- all on the road.

I have to respect Bob's opinion, as he follows dII football a lot closer than probably any of us. But if UMD is really that good this year after going 4-6 last year and not looking very good at all IMO, Nielson must be some kind of miracle worker. In any event, you almost have to think this year may be something of a mirage, similar to how Winona State had some really good teams in the early 2000's, because presumably the effect of the scholarship cut necessitated by re-joining the NSIC is going to begin to be felt in the coming years.

I have to respect Bob's opinion, as he follows dII football a lot closer than probably any of us. But if UMD is really that good this year after going 4-6 last year and not looking very good at all IMO, Nielson must be some kind of miracle worker. In any event, you almost have to think this year may be something of a mirage, similar to how Winona State had some really good teams in the early 2000's, because presumably the effect of the scholarship cut necessitated by re-joining the NSIC is going to begin to be felt in the coming years.

St. Cloud was 4-7 in 2001 then went 9-2 in 2002 beating both UND and NDSU.

UND was 5-6 in 2002, then reached the national title game in 2003.

NDSU was 2-8 in 2002, 8-3 in 2003.

USD was 5-6 in 2003, 9-2 in 2004

UMD was 4-7 in 2004, won a share of the NCC title and reached the playoffs in 2005.

I'm just trying to point out that teams having a great year immediately following a down year isn't all that uncommon and usually doesn't take a complete overhaul of the team to pull off. UMD had a RS freshman receiver that was lost to injury in the first game last year have over 1000 receiving yards and 13 TDs this year and they added a JC running back that is averaging 8.1 yards a carry to go along with 21 TDs. They added those two guys to an offense with a 4 year starter at QB and an OL that is intact from last year and defensively they start 7 seniors. Plus, Nielsen can coach and everything just came together perfectly for Duluth this year.

I will agree though that the four NCC teams that have joined the NSIC will drop off in the near future unless scholarship numbers go up. They are still playing with guys recruited into the NCC when there was more money to throw around and once those players cycle out the level of play will go down.

St. Cloud was 4-7 in 2001 then went 9-2 in 2002 beating both UND and NDSU.

UND was 5-6 in 2002, then reached the national title game in 2003.

NDSU was 2-8 in 2002, 8-3 in 2003.

USD was 5-6 in 2003, 9-2 in 2004

UMD was 4-7 in 2004, won a share of the NCC title and reached the playoffs in 2005.

I'm just trying to point out that teams having a great year immediately following a down year isn't all that uncommon and usually doesn't take a complete overhaul of the team to pull off. UMD had a RS freshman receiver that was lost to injury in the first game last year have over 1000 receiving yards and 13 TDs this year and they added a JC running back that is averaging 8.1 yards a carry to go along with 21 TDs. They added those two guys to an offense with a 4 year starter at QB and an OL that is intact from last year and defensively they start 7 seniors. Plus, Nielsen can coach and everything just came together perfectly for Duluth this year.

I will agree though that the four NCC teams that have joined the NSIC will drop off in the near future unless scholarship numbers go up. They are still playing with guys recruited into the NCC when there was more money to throw around and once those players cycle out the level of play will go down.

I can't disagree with any of this, although of course the difference between this year's situation and all of the others is that in those cases, teams weren't substituting four of their toughest conference games for games against UMC, Northern St., SW MN St. and MSU Moorhead. Even if it's true that UMD is good enough this year to have won an intact NCC (circa 2006 and 2007 anyway), unless they have a good showing in the playoffs there will be a healthy dose of skepticism in some circles that their improvement wasn't in large part a function of a much softer schedule. Whether that's fair or not, I don't know.

BTW, do you know whether UND ever recruited the Winfield kid?

I can't disagree with any of this, although of course the difference between this year's situation and all of the others is that in those cases, teams weren't substituting four of their toughest conference games for games against UMC, Northern St., SW MN St. and MSU Moorhead. Even if it's true that UMD is good enough this year to have won an intact NCC (circa 2006 and 2007 anyway), unless they have a good showing in the playoffs there will be a healthy dose of skepticism in some circles that their improvement wasn't in large part a function of a much softer schedule. Whether that's fair or not, I don't know.

BTW, do you know whether UND ever recruited the Winfield kid?

I don't know if UND ever recruited Winfield, but he sure would look good in a Sioux uniform. Same thing with UMD's transfer RB, Odim.

Duluth was more dominant today than the score indicated against Chadron and I really do believe that UMD has what it takes to go to Grand Valley next week and compete with them. I'm not saying the Bulldogs will win, but I expect a game similar to UND's last three trips out there.

Did anyone else see the Abilene Christian vs. West Texas A & M score? The final was 93- 68...Abiline Christian won...

Part of the reason the score got so out of hand is that West Texas started doing onside kicks in the 3rd quarter to try to catch up so ACU only had to go 35 yards for points instead of 70. But still, ACU had over 800 yards of offense and averaged 14.5 yards per play. I will be very surprised if another D-II defense can slow them down.

I guess my proclamation that UMD would have won the NCC this year doesn't look quite so ridiculous now. :glare:

Mea culpa. I just had such a hard time believing UMD was legit for a couple of reasons. First, Schlafke never did anything in four career starts vs. UND. I thought he was highly overrated. Second, UMD has several kids from this area playing for them who I frankly didn't think could play at a high dII level.

I guess my proclamation that UMD would have won the NCC this year doesn't look quite so ridiculous now. :glare:

Maybe they would have won the NCC this year, but they would have done it without beating UND. I watched UMD at MSUM this year, they have some weapons, but not enough to keep up with the Sioux, in my opinion. Yes, UND gave up plenty of plays in the secondary, but UMD doesn't have nearly the team speed that we saw in the Great West, and certainly not like SIU. Too many mistakes over the entire schedule may have cost UND a conference title in the NCC this year, but I think the Sioux get it done vs the pups.

Maybe they would have won the NCC this year, but they would have done it without beating UND. I watched UMD at MSUM this year, they have some weapons, but not enough to keep up with the Sioux, in my opinion. Yes, UND gave up plenty of plays in the secondary, but UMD doesn't have nearly the team speed that we saw in the Great West, and certainly not like SIU. Too many mistakes over the entire schedule may have cost UND a conference title in the NCC this year, but I think the Sioux get it done vs the pups.

I am surprised that UMD beat GVSU, but I will take it.

Mea culpa. I just had such a hard time believing UMD was legit for a couple of reasons. First, Schlafke never did anything in four career starts vs. UND. I thought he was highly overrated. Second, UMD has several kids from this area playing for them who I frankly didn't think could play at a high dII level.

I think UMD is a poor man's version of the 2001 UND championship team. They aren't nearly as talented but play a similar style with an obvious reliance on defense to win games for them against the other good teams.

I also think they have a great shot at winning again this week and advancing to the title game. The team they play is talented with a bunch of D-I transfers but isn't great defensively so I think UMD can move the ball on them and score some points.