SiouxSports.com Forum

The Ralph to Display Tribal Flags

GeauxSioux

I may have missed it ... but why in the hell is REA doing this?

Because they were asked to do it. Groups from both reservations visited campus and the arena in the last year. One question was repeated multiple times. (I am paraphrasing) "You have flags up from the United States, Canada and the state flag of North Dakota. If you respect us as you keep saying, why don't you have our flags in the arena?" REA agreed that they should do that, so they are. Jody Hodgeson from REA was just on Mac Talk on KNOX Radio discussing this.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they were asked to do it. Groups from both reservations visited campus and the arena in the last year. One question was repeated multiple times. (I am paraphrasing) "You have flags up from the United States, Canada and the state flag of North Dakota. If you respect us as you keep saying, why don't you have our flags in the arena?" REA agreed that they should do that, so they are. Jody Hodgeson from REA was just on Mac Talk on KNOX Radio discussing this.

See this is what bugs the hell outta me. If UND has been honoring the "Sioux" all of these years by using the nickname then why didn't they hang these flags along time ago? Why wait until now when we are in the midst of all this controversy? All you nickname proponents from SLT and SRT can't you see you are being used for propaganda purposes by UND so they can impress the NCAA? I can see it already: UND to the NCAA- "Look at these pictures of all the happy Sioux children at the UND hockey game". Shameless! Answer me this: When UND has to change it's nickname, how long till the SLT/SRT flag burning ceremony?

See this is what bugs the hell outta me. If UND has been honoring the "Sioux" all of these years by using the nickname then why didn't they hang these flags along time ago? Why wait until now when we are in the midst of all this controversy? All you nickname proponents from SLT and SRT can't you see you are being used for propaganda purposes by UND so they can impress the NCAA? I can see it already: UND to the NCAA- "Look at these pictures of all the happy Sioux children at the UND hockey game". Shameless! Answer me this: When UND has to change it's nickname, how long till the SLT/SRT flag burning ceremony?

Answer me this: When has UND ever held a SLT/SRT flag burning ceremony? And when your done answering that quesion try this one. How much time and energy do you spend on real issues like drunk driving and things of that nature on the Reservations, compared to a universities logo?

If UND has been honoring the "Sioux" all of these years by using the nickname then why didn't they hang these flags along time ago?

As noted, if/when you do drop the nickname and these perpetually outraged professional victims notice that their lives do not change a single iota, then the problem will have to shift.

And as also noted, the problem will change to the idea that you did not drop the nickname
soon enough

:(

Why do you bother commenting here? Seriously? UND can't do anything right in your eyes so your only purpose on this board is to try and stir people up because you have nothing better to do with your life. The only decision you will accept is UND getting rid of the Fighting Sioux name. No matter what UND does during this three year period you will just rip on them and claim they are pandering to SLT and SRT. Why?

When the SLT and SRT asked UND to hang their flags should UND have told them no, we won't hang your flags until you approve the use of the Fighting Sioux name? Would that have made you more happy with UND? I am sure you would've been on here saying nice things about UND then and thanking UND for not pandering right? NOT! You would've been calling UND racist and insensitive and frauds and whatever else because you are just on here to piss people off. You are as transparent as they come! Get a life loser! :(

Maybe UND can change the name to the Spirit Lake Sioux. :(

I advocated this a while back. If one tribe votes yes and the other no, then change the name to the official, federally recognized full name of the cooperating tribe. How could the NCAA stop that?

And I'd go full-out on scholarships, programs, etc for the tribe that saw the nickname as an honor.

But I'd have the scholarships, etc.
only
for that single tribe. Anyone else can go thru the regular admission process, pay on their own, and of course, attend the very same "xxx Sioux Tribe" history orientation course that all other freshmen will be required to take.

Great cermony at the Ralph. I saw the 14 protestors, after the editorials in the Dakota Student and the GF Herald, combined with the email sent to all UDN faculty and students....you would think if it were a worthy cause, there would be hundreds or a thousand people there. Compare this to the 100 plus reservation members at the game, they were not noticable at all. There was a very nice drum ceremony before the game...very educational. GO SIOUX!

Great cermony at the Ralph. I saw the 14 protestors, after the editorials in the Dakota Student and the GF Herald, combined with the email sent to all UDN faculty and students....you would think if it were a worthy cause, there would be hundreds or a thousand people there. Compare this to the 100 plus reservation members at the game, they were not noticable at all. There was a very nice drum ceremony before the game...very educational. GO SIOUX!

Was Ron His Horse Is Thunder among the protesters?? If not did he have anything better to do? :D

Harsh words from Karen Greyeyes. Her sound bite on Fox News, She claims that she won't be a sell out for a free meal. :D All I can say is wow. Talk about no respect for your elders. Wow. ;)

Again, I contend that if this was such an important protest, with the entire region aware of it days before the game due to editorials in the Dakota Student, the GF Herald, and an email sent to all UND students and employees, why didn't hundreds or thousands of people turn out instead of the 20 that did? BECAUSE IT IS A NON ISSUE! The extremely extremely small, vocal minority tried to rally their "forces" via the liberal media and UND email system, to no avail. Great cermony by the tribal elders before the game though...love that huge "Sioux Country" banner with the 2 tribal flags flanking it. Great move by the Ralph and UND. ( I know UND was officially not a part of this...wink wink)

interesting too the "protesters" wore bandannas over their mouths to show how REA is supposedly "silencing them" when the vocal minority is actually silencing members of both tribes who support the name. (Hopefully they'll wash the bandannas before they tie them back over their own neighbors mouths??? )

Mr. Chaske made an interesting comment on the news...not an exact quote but "there's a lot of prejudice on both sides but there is an opportunity for compromise that will benefit BOTH sides" -- very rational I say!

Protesters contest REA flag-raising

About 40 protesters stood across the street from the main entrance to Ralph Engelstad Arena on Sunday evening as fans poured in, some responding to the words on the signs as they passed.
40?
GreyEyes acknowledged that many of her people were inside the arena for the game and ceremony, in support of the name, logo and flags.

“I have a tendency to believe most people are supportive of what we’re doing,” said Michael Eshkibok, protester and doctoral student in UND’s School of Communication. “People have good hearts.”

Yes, people have good hearts, but they also have brains. If most people supported what you are doing, don't you think your protests would draw better? :D

For anyone who says that the herald and other local newspapers don't have very slanted coverage of the Sioux name needs to go read the herald's article about this. Why did they have to title it Protesters contest REA flag-raising. What would have been wrong with Tribal Elders and members show support for Sioux logo? It seems to me that there were more American Indians inside the arena supporting the name than standing outside protesting.

I still can't figure out why none of the news agencies that cover these protests never ask them why there aren't more protesters that come to these events and why it is always the same handful of liberal arts professors.

For anyone who says that the herald and other local newspapers don't have very slanted coverage of the Sioux name needs to go read the herald's article about this. Why did they have to title it Protesters contest REA flag-raising. What would have been wrong with Tribal Elders and members show support for Sioux logo? It seems to me that there were more American Indians inside the arena supporting the name than standing outside protesting.

I still can't figure out why none of the news agencies that cover these protests never ask them why there aren't more protesters that come to these events and why it is always the same handful of liberal arts professors.

A - Because they're the Herald - anti-nickname all along - not a huge suprise!:D

B - Having watched every newscast tonight...most were balanced with the exception of FoxNews - who decided to only portray the protesters side. They report - YOU decide ;)

C - The protest was a legitimate news angle to the story. REA payed the expenses for the supporters for this event, which actually was a contrived media event if you're honest. The protesters (as few as they were) actually showed up and waved their stupid signs around in the rain, for awhile, although it apparently got a little chilly for some and they bailed out early.

THE BOTTOM LINE...this is ALL getting too stupid and moronic and UND needs to move on...no one is going to break into your house and confiscate your Sioux jerseys...wear them until they disintegrate! The NCAA agreement says they can't jackhammer out the marble logos from the floor of the REA because it's too expensive - so it will always be there as a testament to our history - but MOVE ON! We need to latch on to a new UNIQUE name like Norkotas and keep screaming "home of the...SIOUX!!!" at the end of the national anthem! Then "THEY" can't bitch and we'll have a new identity that has links to the past with hopes for a idiot/PC free future! Just my opinion...

A - Because they're the Herald - anti-nickname all along - not a huge suprise!:D

B - Having watched every newscast tonight...most were balanced with the exception of FoxNews - who decided to only portray the protesters side. They report - YOU decide ;)

C - The protest was a legitimate news angle to the story. REA payed the expenses for the supporters for this event, which actually was a contrived media event if you're honest. The protesters (as few as they were) actually showed up and waved their stupid signs around in the rain, for awhile, although it apparently got a little chilly for some and they bailed out early.

THE BOTTOM LINE...this is ALL getting too stupid and moronic and UND needs to move on...no one is going to break into your house and confiscate your Sioux jerseys...wear them until they disintegrate! The NCAA agreement says they can't jackhammer out the marble logos from the floor of the REA because it's too expensive - so it will always be there as a testament to our history - but MOVE ON! We need to latch on to a new UNIQUE name like Norkotas and keep screaming "home of the...SIOUX!!!" at the end of the national anthem! Then "THEY" can't bitch and we'll have a new identity that has links to the past with hopes for a idiot/PC free future! Just my opinion...

I thought KVLY's coverage was pretty slanted, as well.... just my opinion, Mikey, I mean, SiouxMeNow. ;) Here's a little phrase you should learn before you criticize other media outlets-- "full disclosure." As a KVLY camera holder, you're not exactly unbiased are you, bud. That said, I agree with your shots on the Heraldo.

First, Siouxmama is female, so sir would be the wrong salutation. She has explained many times that she is originally from the DL area. My guess is that her question was more about whether you thought it appropriate for the SLT "landmark" to be put up in town at that major intersection rather than having anything to do with who paid for it.

Thanks 82SiouxGuy, and yes fourwindsboy, I was wondering if you thought it was appropriate for the landmark to be put up in Devils Lake, since the town isn't on the reservation. I don't care how much it cost, or who paid for them, I just wanted to know what you thought of it being there.

I didn't ever hear why the 4 landmarks were put up, other than what is in the community.

They are:

Agriculture

Tourism

Spirit Lake Tribe

Camp Grafton (i think)

Protesters contest REA flag-raising40?Yes, people have good hearts, but they also have brains. If most people supported what you are doing, don't you think your protests would draw better? :D

I think that proves the point how many people are actually concerned about it. Just think we are going to change a sports team name that has been around for 80 years because a small number of people are offended by it. What next?

Thanks 82SiouxGuy, and yes fourwindsboy, I was wondering if you thought it was appropriate for the landmark to be put up in Devils Lake, since the town isn't on the reservation. I don't care how much it cost, or who paid for them, I just wanted to know what you thought of it being there.

I didn't ever hear why the 4 landmarks were put up, other than what is in the community.

They are:

Agriculture

Tourism

Spirit Lake Tribe

Camp Grafton (i think)

I would be willing to bet the answer is not forth coming either...