SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

per brads twitter

Parise has played more than any USA forward, ranks first in shots, second in assists and fourth in plus-minus

Toews leads Canada in assists, plus-minus and faceoff percentage. Has he been Canada's most effective player?

Toews leads Canada in assists, plus-minus and faceoff percentage. Has he been Canada's most effective player?

No.

The whole reason why Toews has been so good has been Sidney Crosby.

The mere presence of Sid in the rink sets the opposing team shaking.

This enables Toews to do exactly what he wants to do.

If Canada could time it so that every shot on goal Toews attempts is timed to match the second Crosby steps onto the ice, Toews would have scored something like 12 goals by himself by now.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Yes, Toews has been extremely effective.

And yes, the Team Canada NBC announcers can suck it. Crosby has been good, but not the best player on the ice...even for Team Canada.

I thought Toews was incredibly effective. He is playing excellent two way hockey and doing what he is good at. Doing what you're good at is what you are supposed to do. Is Sidney Crosby a more dangerous offensive player? Certainly. As the Blackhawks GM said about the contract extensions: kane will win us a couple scoring titles, but toews will win us a couple championships.

I'll take a 30 goal 40 assist, plus minus leading, faceoff leading center well ahead of a lot of players if I am starting a franchise.

Toews and Kane will be a dynamic combo for many years. It is important to remember just how young those guys are...

I thought Toews was incredibly effective. He is playing excellent two way hockey and doing what he is good at. Doing what you're good at is what you are supposed to do. Is Sidney Crosby a more dangerous offensive player? Certainly. As the Blackhawks GM said about the contract extensions: kane will win us a couple scoring titles, but toews will win us a couple championships.

I'll take a 30 goal 40 assist, plus minus leading, faceoff leading center well ahead of a lot of players if I am starting a franchise.

Toews and Kane will be a dynamic combo for many years. It is important to remember just how young those guys are...

I guess I'm just jealous of Sidney Crosby.

I mean, he's protected (I was STUNNED the Olympic officials called him for high sticking. STUNNED) and has the ability to make even the best commentators (Doc Emerick for example) cream their shorts just by stepping on the ice.

He's the Brett Favre of hockey right now... and his career isn't even HOF yet. It will be, for sure, but not yet.

The media has crowned him with a crown that is suspect. And I can't stand it.

I guess that's why I'm so cynical around Jesus Crosby.

I guess I'm just jealous of Sidney Crosby.

I mean, he's protected (I was STUNNED the Olympic officials called him for high sticking. STUNNED) and has the ability to make even the best commentators (Doc Emerick for example) cream their shorts just by stepping on the ice.

He's the Brett Favre of hockey right now... and his career isn't even HOF yet. It will be, for sure, but not yet.

The media has crowned him with a crown that is suspect. And I can't stand it.

I guess that's why I'm so cynical around Jesus Crosby.

... or do you just wish he were a Red Wing? :D

He's a big deal - he's a first round pick, he's won a cup and scoring titles - why wouldn't the league/media promote that - it would be dumb not to.

I would take Ovy vs. Sid but both are legit - if you are a fan of the sport you should celebrate excellence. Don't be jealous.

if you are a diehard caps fan, i guess i get it, but otherwise the crosby hate i don't get. i know it comes with being an elite player, there are those who hate on ovi too, but as the previous poster said... crosby is one of the best, he is being used to promote the game, which is smart and much needed. i know the media and commentators go overboard about him sometimes, but is that his fault? i just am glad i get to see players like ovi and crosby and toews... it reminds me of days when super mario was dominating :D yes i was a pens fan in my younger days, but to be honest with you, i follow our sioux alum more than any one team these days. go parise and USA!!

if you are a diehard caps fan, i guess i get it, but otherwise the crosby hate i don't get.

I think that it is a Don Cherry thing. Cherry has literally called Crosby the second coming ever since he was in the World Juniors and trashed talked every other non-Canadian hockey player with any skill, especially Ovechkin. I agree that Crosby is a top hockey player, but Don Cherry has instilled an anti-Crosby attitude in me. I've come to realize that it really isn't an anti-Crosby attitude, it is an anti-Cherry attitude as I simply cannot stand that jerk. Kind of a guilt-by-association thing, even though all of the blame likely rests with Cherry.

the league better start promoting sid and ovy even more somehow. they are the league and will be the league for many years. they both are great in their own way. like or dislike either of them or the personal antics but they are the best thing thats happened to the game of hockey in years. sid vs ovy is what hockey needs. the problem is we wont see them in a stanley cup unless one of them moves and thats still a long ways from being possible. betman better wake the F up and utilize these guys the right way. love them or hate them, they both are superstars and its great they have a personal rivalry.

gettting to toews, he needs to be a top 2 line guy for canada. they arent playing him much in the 3rd and that had to hurt canada vs the usa.

gettting to toews, he needs to be a top 2 line guy for canada. they arent playing him much in the 3rd and that had to hurt canada vs the usa.

Don Cherry basically said Canada has too many superstars and not enough role players...they are struggling to get everyone the minutes they are used to...instead of building a team they built an All Star team...I'd have to say I agree with him...

He also said their overall play up to this point has been lousy...that being said, he felt they would still win the gold... :D

Don Cherry basically said Canada has too many superstars and not enough role players...they are struggling to get everyone the minutes they are used to...instead of building a team they built an All Star team...I'd have to say I agree with him...

He also said their overall play up to this point has been lousy...that being said, he felt they would still win the gold... :D

This coming from a man (Don Cherry not Blackheart) that argues that there is no such thing as a "Non" All Star when it comes to Canada and well, hockey.... well maybe if they don't go Major Juniors they could be overlooked. :D

The mad love for Sid makes you think he is the favortie rather than the underdog and promotes dissent.

Sid is great and lead his team to a Stanley Cup.

If I am a GM, I draft Ovi first overall.

I drafted in NHL 2010 the other day and went: Ovi, Phaneuf, THomas, Toews, Langenbrunner, Boyle...I'd take that team any day...I wanted getzlaf and Parise, but that would've been an all star team

The mad love for Sid makes you think he is the favortie rather than the underdog and promotes dissent.

Sid is great and lead his team to a Stanley Cup.

If I am a GM, I draft Ovi first overall.

I drafted in NHL 2010 the other day and went: Ovi, Phaneuf, THomas, Toews, Langenbrunner, Boyle...I'd take that team any day...I wanted getzlaf and Parise, but that would've been an all star team

You're saying canada is the underdog save for the hype?

I dunno.

Hard to say for sure. I kind of find it hard to think of them anything worse than a silver medal team.

The Russians are the only ones that have as much on paper talent (and on ice talent) as the Canadians.

What bothers me the most is that the hype is such at times that you'd think Crosby has scored or set up every single score the Canadians have ever scored since he laced up his skates. That the only reason Canada loses is because they didn't play Crosby 20 minutes a period.

I get that he's a great player, but one of the best things about hockey, imo, is that it is a TEAM sport. If I wanted to get into an individual sport on ice, I'd get into speed skating or luge

You're saying canada is the underdog save for the hype?

I dunno.

Hard to say for sure. I kind of find it hard to think of them anything worse than a silver medal team.

The Russians are the only ones that have as much on paper talent (and on ice talent) as the Canadians.

What bothers me the most is that the hype is such at times that you'd think Crosby has scored or set up every single score the Canadians have ever scored since he laced up his skates. That the only reason Canada loses is because they didn't play Crosby 20 minutes a period.

I get that he's a great player, but one of the best things about hockey, imo, is that it is a TEAM sport. If I wanted to get into an individual sport on ice, I'd get into speed skating or luge

Not saying Canada is an underdog at all...in fact they have to be the favorite going in...not so much after the output.

I am saying that the love of Sid by everyone makes you feel he is the favorite and makes youpull for other players.

I thought Crosby was a liability vs the USA. I thought Toews was extremely effective in that game. I saw Crosby take a bad penalty and be out on the ice for at least 2 minuses.

Not saying Canada is an underdog at all...in fact they have to be the favorite going in...not so much after the output.

I am saying that the love of Sid by everyone makes you feel he is the favorite and makes youpull for other players.

I thought Crosby was a liability vs the USA. I thought Toews was extremely effective in that game. I saw Crosby take a bad penalty and be out on the ice for at least 2 minuses.

BLASPHEMY!!!

How DARE you say Crosby was a liability! He's a GOD to that dingleberry that sits to Roenick's left.

And you're darn right I'm jaded against Crosby for the irrational reason of the fact that the media is so darn enamored with him. I figure Sid has enough fans. I'll see the forest instead of just one tree, tall and mighty or not.

Toews has been the best skater for Canada... well, him and Iginla (yeah, I know about Heatley but Iginla is a better player than Heatley)

I'm surprised at how mediocre Brodeur has been. Rather disappointing.

Finland will defeat the Czechs.

I just want to say this: Finland has good skaters, mediocre offense, great goaltending, and beautiful divers.

I loved the tribute Kipprusoff gave to Czech hockey great Dominick Hasek that got Elias sent to the box.

Martin Havlat is the biggest disappointment for the Czechs. It's rather unfortunate that Tomas Vokoun goes home empty handed. That guy was amazing. Goes to show that gold nuggets in a pile of dung still is just a nugget of corn in a pile of crap. That is the Czech team....the Swiss team... the German team... All the same. I really liked the play of Hiller, Greiss, and Vokoun.

Oshie with a goal for St. Louis in the 1st period....also had a hair cut since we saw him in his interview a couple weeks ago.

what a game for tj. goal, assist and he blasted the jovo with a hit late game. wow. many sioux jerseys in the crowd as always!!

jovo gettin oshied! fractured nose - was right in front of me. jovo usually dishes these out

oshie 1g,1a in win

parise 2a in win

toews 2a in loss

what a game for tj. goal, assist and he blasted the jovo with a hit late game. wow. many sioux jerseys in the crowd as always!!

jovo gettin oshied! fractured nose - was right in front of me. jovo usually dishes these out

oshie 1g,1a in win

parise 2a in win

toews 2a in loss

Don't forget Zajac 1g (gwg), 1a in win.

Stafford was a -1 with only 8:10 TOI.

Toews was also a -1 in his game :sad:

Parise was just on with PA on KFAN. Great interview by Zach. He had a nice shoutout to the UND Fighting Sioux at the end when PA asked him if he still follows UND and the WCHA.

Paraphrasing: Zach said he follows UND still, talked about the sweep of CC and clinching home ice. He then said what a great job the program does, getting guys ready for NHL, and said it was some of, if not the best 2 years of his life!

You da man Zach!