SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Idaho State Game Thread

fightingsioux4life

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the guys who choose to leave, do so because they were not going to play or contribute much.

It would just be nice if more players had the patience to put in their time long enough to actually earn the reward of playing time. Justin Muscha is a good example of somebody to emulate. He came in as a walk-on, and finally got his chance to start last year as a 5th-year senior. Too many of these kids leave after a year or two. If they don't have the patience to work hard and wait their turn, they should never have agreed to accept even a partial scholarship. I can maybe accept somebody leaving after three years if it doesn't look like playing time is going to be in the cards, but not after only one or two years.

There is always attrition on any college football teams. UND in fact has a retention rate of its players to be proud of. Testament to that is the 19 seniors this year. Look at nearly any other program in the country and they would not match the amount of players that are sticking with the program for 4 or 5 years. IMO, by having double digit numbers of seniors has been perhaps the most important key to UND's football success. It is tough to accept losing when you commit 4 years of your life to a common goal with other likeminded individuals

Some of the players choose to leave after they find that the academic course of study they have chosen is too rigorous, and football does not allow them to keep up with thier studies. Some realize it early in thier football careers than others. It becomes a very difficult choice for a 19-21 year old to make ,either working towards thier chosen career or football. I would say that the vast majority of the kids who left would have loved to have stayed if they could have.

You do have some exceptions such as Mitch Braegleman and Eric Moe, those two guys are exceptional students who are able to succeed in a rigorous academic field and play football.

It would just be nice if more players had the patience to put in their time long enough to actually earn the reward of playing time. Justin Muscha is a good example of somebody to emulate. He came in as a walk-on, and finally got his chance to start last year as a 5th-year senior. Too many of these kids leave after a year or two. If they don't have the patience to work hard and wait their turn, they should never have agreed to accept even a partial scholarship. I can maybe accept somebody leaving after three years if it doesn't look like playing time is going to be in the cards, but not after only one or two years.

When I stopped playing I was willing to stick it out for 1 or 2 years of PT, but after I got hurt I couldn't justify any more damage to my body so I walked away. It was a very difficult decision, but I still feel it was the correct one. Most of the guys that quite while I was at UND were just not good enough to ever become an everyday starter whether they were on scholarship or not.

When I stopped playing I was willing to stick it out for 1 or 2 years of PT, but after I got hurt I couldn't justify any more damage to my body so I walked away. It was a very difficult decision, but I still feel it was the correct one. Most of the guys that quite while I was at UND were just not good enough to ever become an everyday starter whether they were on scholarship or not.

Certainly there are going to be different situations for different people, and I completely understand that. I'm only focusing on the raw numbers and making certain generalizations. This year's senior class had an excellent rate of retention. By my count, 16 of the 21 players used all four years of eligibility. But the class of 2005 has not been so good--losing 12 of 24 early. And the classes of 2006 and 2007 are looking more like the 2005 class than the 2004 class so far. I certainly don't expect to retain 75% of every recruiting class, but I'd like to think 60% or so is a realistic goal.

Postgame: North Dakota 38, Idaho State 35 - Robinett Blog

Look, no one should be smiling after losing to a team like North Dakota, but Idaho State did show a whole bunch of positives in the second half on Thursday.

Idaho State has now lost one of the most winnable games on its schedule.

It must hurt awfully bad to lose to a weak team in your own house. See you next year...

GO SIOUX

The way it sounds, the Sioux probably would have been the better team for quite a while now, so if anyone should be embarrassed it should be us for letting them come so close. I am saying that somewhat tongue in cheek, but for a team like Idaho State to sound like they should be so superior is laughable. Either they don't know any football outside their own circle, or they are delusional.

The way it sounds, the Sioux probably would have been the better team for quite a while now, so if anyone should be embarrassed it should be us for letting them come so close. I am saying that somewhat tongue in cheek, but for a team like Idaho State to sound like they should be so superior is laughable. Either they don't know any football outside their own circle, or they are delusional.

I'd say in all likelihood most of the their fans and local media simply don't understand what kind of football was played in the NCC. I don't necessarily blame them for thinking they should win if they didn't bother to do the research on UND or on how our former NCC brethren (other than UNC) did right out of the chute after the transition to FCS football. I'm just a little disappointed we didn't close the deal better after being up 31-7 early in the third. It would have been cool to have beaten them by a score similar to what Boise St. did a few weeks ago. We were well on our way to doing so.

I agree. If anyone should be upset by the final score, it should be UND, not Idaho State.

I agree. If anyone should be upset by the final score, it should be UND, not Idaho State.

Had it not been for the short week to prepare and perhaps some elevation issues, I feel ISU would not have made the rally they did in the second half. It's not to say we would have totally shut them down, but I doubt we would have given up four touchdowns.

One positive I am taking from this games is that it appears as though the coaching staff had our kids ready to play. This is one question mark I have had since the loss of Coach Lennon. He always had his teams prepared. We only had four days to prepare for this game...techinically...and our team came out and were ready to go in the first half...particularily on offense. I believe this is a good sign for our coaching staff. We will see if this continues going in to next weeks game.

I couldn't believe it this morning when I heard the score. I went to bed after the 9pm sports and UND was up 31-14. What happened, did they get lulled to sleep by the big lead?Well congrats on the win anyway.

They made a run - The Sioux did exactly what they needed to do with a long, time consuming drive in the 4th that ended in a TD. They scored with no time on the clock to make it seem closer than it was.

Sorry you couldn't stay up past 9:30 - (Note to school system...."START KINDERGARTEN SLIGHTY LATER NEXT YEAR! :D Fargo kids get sleepy early... )