SiouxSports.com Forum

And the Goalies just keep on coming.

flatspin7

Nate Ziegelmann signs at UND

OK so Lets paraphrase.

Sofie and Ranfranz are basically non-factors.

Brandt is the "Veteran"

Bida is a Goner.

and now we have not one but two freshman goalies (sounds familar)

Lets hope Blais redshirts either Parise or Ziegelmann for a year so we can keep an extra year of eligability from these two top notch goalies. Should be interesting.

I guess the Ziegelmann question just got answered.

Nate Ziegelmann signs at UND

OK so Lets paraphrase.

Sofie and Ranfranz are basically non-factors.

Brandt is the "Veteran"

Bida is a Goner.

and now we have not one but two freshman goalies (sounds familar)

Lets hope Blais redshirts either Parise or Ziegelmann for a year so we can keep an extra year of eligability from these two top notch goalies. Should be interesting.

I guess the Ziegelmann question just got answered.

I don't see it that way, the two walk-ons are going to be a non factor, gone there is no reason to keep them hanging around. I am sure both are nice kids but team sucess should come first...

Honestly, I might be wrong, but I think Brandt is going to be hard pressed to be the starter, here is why I say that. Jake the best stastically of the goalies last season, ended up sitting in the stands at times, Blais kept coming back with Josh when Jake was definately the stronger of the two goalies. I begining to wonder if Brandt doesn't have an attitude problem. Brandt is adequate and just as strong as Weber of the Gophers but I just don't they can win a title with Jake...

If Jordan has Zach's attitude I think he could be a welcome addition to the team. Last winter I sat in Famous Daves with down in Fargo and with a couple of UND fans and over a couple of beers wondered why Blaiser didn't give the Former Grand Forks Red River Goalie Nate Ziggleman a try, I said he couldn't do any worse than the goalies we have now, I guess that thought/Wish came ture...

He was recruited by Minnesota-Duluth as well, but declined to sign with the Bulldogs on his recruiting visit there, opting to wait to see what else was out there.

Promising, Duluth has had pretty good goaltending recruits in Reichmuth, plus Anderson was solid as well this year.

flatspin7...you too good for AIM now, or what? Just too busy with Double I, huh? BTW...no, not yet (for both questions you'd probably ask ;) )

I begining to wonder if Brandt doesn't have an attitude problem. Brandt is adequate and just as strong as Weber of the Gophers but I just don't they can win a title with Jake...

Brandt's attitude has been an issue in the past. As a freshmen Blais threatened to boot him off the team if he didn't adjust his attitude.

By the comments he made over last season though, it would appear that he improved his attitude and, hopefully, that will carry over.

I think the job is still up for grabs. Brandt may have been the starter towards the end of the season, but I wouldn't consider him a "go to" guy. I'd like to think he's gotten into his groove, but I've always questioned Brandt's mental toughness at critical times. If he has two sharp goalies gunning for his job, he'll either step it up a notch and own the position, or end up wearing a suit by March.

I realize that this may be a redundant topic, being that we've already had a discussion on goaltenders, but I can't much argue with who's coming and going anymore.

However, my prediction is similar to everyone else's regarding the starting spot. Brandt's no shoe in and in fact, I expect the beginning (at least) of next season to be more of the same from last season (rotating goalies). I DO anticipate though, that Brandt will be opening day starter probably for both on the road and home opener. This doesn't mean he's the #1 goalie, but Blais has a tendency to use previous streaks to justify actions. Brandt choked, sure, but he wasn't alone. He DID do well for what it was worth in the end, so, I anticipate Blais sticking to him initially.

Redshirting is a possibility, but for whom, I don't know. Can you only redshirt as a freshman? If not, maybe that could be a way for Josh to stick around. Though it would be pointless for him, Sofie, and Ranfranz to do so.

Who is this Sacred Heart goaltender? Who was looking into UMD? I think I may have lost track of the thread.

My guess is Brandt will have to be beat out. Brandt finished the year in important games playing very solid hockey. I would think that plus experience gives him an edge over the others. However, he'd still have to look good in practice to keep the job.

I don't know if we'll see the rotation goalies so much. I think one will have to show they are definitely better than Jake.

I think initially Brandt will have the starting job because he looked solid in the post season and I think he will perform even better if he has to compete for his job...something he didn't really have to do a whole lot last season. I have faith that Blais will bench him if he is not the best goalie on the team.

Brandt will start initially, he has the experience, he works hard on and off the ice, and he has a strong competitive desire to be number one.

I really do not care who starts as long as they stop the puck from going in the net.

tboneund, I actually beg to differ with the statement concerning Brandt having to fight for the starting role last season.

As everyone is aware it was rotate-a-goalie all season. At one time Ranfranz was our starter. The only thing without a doubt last season was that a lot of fans wouldn't know until game time who was starting. Especially the first game of the series. I won't argue that Brandt has a work ethic. I believe that. I also believe that Ranfranz had a good work ethic too, and that never amounted to anything.

The starting position isn't "in the bag" for anyone, although the expectations for Brandt, Zeigelman, and Parise are only getting higher. I wouldn't want to be in Zeigelmann or J. Parise's shoes/skates/pads/whatever.

All you can really say is "Wait and find out." We all know that that's sometimes too hard to do.

Promising, Duluth has had pretty good goaltending recruits in Reichmuth, plus Anderson was solid as well this year.

flatspin7...you too good for AIM now, or what? Just too busy with Double I, huh? BTW...no, not yet (for both questions you'd probably ask ;) )

I believe I read somewhere that UMass-Lowell was working on recruiting Jordan Parise. This could also prove promising if true. UML has put out some good goalies as well, such as Cam McCormick (sp?) a couple years ago, and wasn't Roloson a goalie there too?

I do believe that Roloson was a UML product. Also, some may remember Scott Fankhouser, the ill fated inaugural starting goalie for the Atlanta Thrashers a while back. He went to UML as well. Oh yeah, he's a Bismarck, ND product.

he didn't do very well, which brought a trade to, I believe Ottawa, which brought Damian Rhodes to Atlanta. You can see how that worked out...

As for goaltending University, there seems to be good goalies coming out of Maine from out east too... like Garth Snow and now that Howard guy. there are others, I'm sure... But it still doesn't make Hockey East even close to being as good as the WCHA.

I do believe that Roloson was a UML product. Also, some may remember Scott Fankhouser, the ill fated inaugural starting goalie for the Atlanta Thrashers a while back. He went to UML as well. Oh yeah, he's a Bismarck, ND product.

You know I have watched hockey in Bismarck for a lot of years and that name has never crossed any roster I have seen. Better check your sources.

I do not believe Fankhouser ever played for any Bismarck schools, but he grew up in Bismarck. I am not sure how old he was when they moved, but when I was selling hockey cards on ebay, I ran across his father buying a couple of his and he made mention of Scott having been born in Bismarck.

I did check my sources. Here's a good link:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla....php3?pid=26591

Scott Fankhouser -- Goalie -- Bismarck, ND. Went to UML. Selected by the Blues in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft.

I do not know if he every played hockey in Bismarck, but that's where he is listed from.

I try to know my sources before hand and, if I believe that I may be wrong, I say so.

Goalies for 2003-2004:

Parise - good chance since he's in Grand Forks this summer working with the team and article in Herald

Ranfranz - also in Grand Forks working with summer hockey camps probably staying, had his moments and a

reliable source says Dean likes his strong work ethic

Brandt - arguably the best of last year's group

Ziggy - articles in Grand Forks Herald say he'll be here

Sofie - same article says Sofie will be here...he's a non-factor in the starter race with all the incoming talent

Simba - gone...whether it was attitude or performance he's gone now

Goalies for 2003-2004:

Parise - good chance since he's in Grand Forks this summer working with the team and article in Herald

Ranfranz - also in Grand Forks working with summer hockey camps probably staying, had his moments and a

reliable source says Dean likes his strong work ethic

Brandt - arguably the best of last year's group

Ziggy - articles in Grand Forks Herald say he'll be here

Sofie - same article says Sofie will be here...he's a non-factor in the starter race with all the incoming talent

Simba - gone...whether it was attitude or performance he's gone now

The list will probably look like this

Brandt Clipboard.

Parise and Ziggy one two punch...

Gone Ranfranz and Sofie...

I keep on hearing three but seeing about six...you just gonna stack 'em like cord wood in nets or what? ;)

WPoS

That's where Gopher forwards (and dmen with their penchant for going to the net) will be stacked if they venture too close to the creasehmm3grin2orange.gif

so how many goalies you guys going to have this year again? I keep on hearing three but seeing about six...you just gonna stack 'em like cord wood in nets or what? ;)

WPoS

Looks like you might have an extra over in MN too, from what I've been reading?

Looks like you might have an extra over in MN too, from what I've been reading?

Seems that the extras to the east get stacked in nets with the puck bunnies, although I don't know if "like cordwood" applies.

rumor has it...that our current "third" goalie will not be with the mighty Gophers this next year...so that would put us at a nice number of three come fall...and rumors of JJ POSSIBLY going somewhere else (who knows what goes on in the mind of a goalie tho).

WPoS