SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Division 1 Men's Ice Hockey Regional Site Selections Announce

Esoxpirate

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is bad enough that we can not get to host the frozen four now we can not host a regional!! Who cares if it is on campus as long as it is not in the same place every year. It is BS that Minn gets two regionals and a frozen four. Since we will not be hosting regionals I say who cares about the NCAA and what they say about the nickname since we will not be in the playoffs for a while.

Since we will not be hosting regionals I say who cares about the NCAA and what they say about the nickname since we will not be in the playoffs for a while.

UND won't make the NCAA's - which based upon their play before the regionals - because of where the regionals will be held? Call me crazy but UND still looks like an NCAA qualifying team to me next year.

Somebody will come along crying that holding a regional at the Xcel Energy Center is essentially the same thing as the Gophers hosting at Mariucci in 3, 2, 1... :lol:

What part of the statement do you not understand. The Xcel energy center is 7.8 miles away from the campus of the University of Minnesota.

So try again. :):) To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. Yeah you're a Sioux fan... :0

What part of the statement do you not understand. The Xcel energy center is 7.8 miles away from the campus of the University of Minnesota.

So try again. :lol::0 To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. Yeah you're a Sioux fan... :)

I think we Sioux fans need to grow up a little re: Xcel Energy Center = home ice for the Gophers

1. It's the largest hockey venue between Chicago and Denver - why wouldn't they hold a regional there.

2. Where do you see more Sioux fans when they play in the TC - Mariucci or the X? When the games are at the X, Sioux fans have a better opportunity to get tickets.

3. There are probably more Sioux fans in the TC than any other metro area in the nation.

4. It's an advantage for us to play on an NHL rink vs. an Olympic rink like Mariucci. We usually play well there.

Face it - the WCHA/NCAA will continue hold events in the Twin Cities. If so, it's better for us they use the X vs. the John. Get used to it.

So try again. :lol::0 To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. Yeah you're a Sioux fan... :)

Actually suggesting it's the same as home ice is disingenious. When the Gophers play at the X there is always thousands of opposing fans cheering against the Gophers. It's not the same size ice sheet as Mariucci and the Gophers don't get the last line change unless they're the higher seed. Is it an advantge? Yes. Is it the same as home ice? No.

Actually suggesting it's the same as home ice is disingenious. When the Gophers play at the X there is always thousands of opposing fans cheering against the Gophers. It's not the same size ice sheet as Mariucci and the Gophers don't get the last line change unless they're the higher seed. Is it an advantge? Yes. Is it the same as home ice? No.

The problem I have is...why do I always have to chuck out the gas and hotel money for these games along with my whole weekend (don't forget about taking Friday off of work) for that matter while MN fans never have to. Furthermore, if it is an advantage, it might as well be home ice since that is what we usually refer to as the home ice advantage. Do the Gopher players have to stay in a travel and stay in a hotel room when playing at the X? If you can support the teams and the fans, you should be able to host. If the games were not at the X would there still be thousands of opposing fans cheering for the Gophers not just against? I am not trying to call you out here, I just think that an advantage is exactly that, an advantage, and why should it ALWAYS go to the Gophers?

The problem I have is...why do I always have to chuck out the gas and hotel money for these games along with my whole weekend (don't forget about taking Friday off of work) for that matter while MN fans never have to. Furthermore, if it is an advantage, it might as well be home ice since that is what we usually refer to as the home ice advantage. Do the Gopher players have to stay in a travel and stay in a hotel room when playing at the X? If you can support the teams and the fans, you should be able to host. If the games were not at the X would there still be thousands of opposing fans cheering for the Gophers not just against? I am not trying to call you out here, I just think that an advantage is exactly that, an advantage, and why should it ALWAYS go to the Gophers?

Location. I can see why it would be frustrating for opposing fans but regionals and the Final Five aren't held at the X to give the Gophers an advantage. It's a great venue in a great hockey city with a good location for fans to attend.

Not to be a jerk here but l it's your choice to chuck out the gas and hotel money for the weekend. As for if Gopher players have to stay in a hotel when they play at the X the answer is yes. All teams stay at either the St. Paul hotel or the Crown Plaza. Where do you think they should host the Final five or regionals?

I think we Sioux fans need to grow up a little re: Xcel Energy Center = home ice for the Gophers

1. It's the largest hockey venue between Chicago and Denver - why wouldn't they hold a regional there.

2. Where do you see more Sioux fans when they play in the TC - Mariucci or the X? When the games are at the X, Sioux fans have a better opportunity to get tickets.

3. There are probably more Sioux fans in the TC than any other metro area in the nation.

4. It's an advantage for us to play on an NHL rink vs. an Olympic rink like Mariucci. We usually play well there.

Face it - the WCHA/NCAA will continue hold events in the Twin Cities. If so, it's better for us they use the X vs. the John. Get used to it.

To say the Xcel Energy center doesn't have a home field advantage is disingenuous.

Lastly, I don't argue the Xcel Energy Center is a great venue, I think it is wrong that Minnesota got two regionals in their own back yard two years in a row.

Nothing like basically giving them a easier path to the NCAA tourney. If they don't put UND in their regional.

Location. I can see why it would be frustrating for opposing fans but regionals and the Final Five aren't held at the X to give the Gophers an advantage. It's a great venue in a great hockey city with a good location for fans to attend.

Lastly BuckySieve, you know you would be complaining if DU, Wisconsin or UND had two back to back regionals in their own back yard. To say other wise would also be disingenious, so run along skippy... :lol::)

7.8 miles from your home campus. Nope that isn't a home filed advantage. Your team plays there more than any other team in the WCHA.

Think about it.

Obviously they play there more than any other team. It's in the same city. Come regional time, everyone gets the same fair shot at tickets as everyone else. Plus, it's a great arena in a very central location. That's the point.