SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Division 1 Men's Ice Hockey Regional Site Selections Announce

Esoxpirate

Obviously they play there more than any other team. It's in the same city. Come regional time, everyone gets the same fair shot at tickets as everyone else. Plus, it's a great arena in a very central location. That's the point.

No one is saying it isn't a GREAT place to play I just think it is silly when Goof fans say there isn't home field advantage there...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lastly, I don't argue the Xcel Energy Center is a great venue, I think it is wrong that Minnesota got two regionals in their own back yard two years in a row.

Nothing like basically giving them a easier path to the NCAA tourney. If they don't put UND in their regional.

I maybe wrong here but isn't hosting a regional based on a bidding process? If so did UND put a bid in?

Not to be a jerk here but l it's your choice to chuck out the gas and hotel money for the weekend. As for if Gopher players have to stay in a hotel when they play at the X the answer is yes. All teams stay at either the St. Paul hotel or the Crown Plaza. Where do you think they should host the Final five or regionals?

I agree its my choice, but why can't I every few years not have too. Think about all of the hassles those in the cities don't have to go through. I don't think that any arena in the TC or elsewhere is so much better than the Ralph, that, Grand Forks (Madison, Denver etc..) should be considered a second class citizen when hosting. IMO, I wouldn't mind seeing a rotating host site for the final five (if you can accomodate the amount of teams and fans). This way you could visit all cities and arenas.

Most of the issue here is as I see it....The golden child is being taken care of.

I agree its my choice, but why can't I every few years not have too. Think about all of the hassles those in the cities don't have to go through. I don't think that any arena in the TC or elsewhere is so much better than the Ralph, that, Grand Forks (Madison, Denver etc..) should be considered a second class citizen when hosting. IMO, I wouldn't mind seeing a rotating host site for the final five (if you can accomodate the amount of teams and fans). This way you could visit all cities and arenas.

Most of the issue here is as I see it....The golden child is being taken care of.

*I deleted my previous post in case people already read it, didn't make much sense....go figure. :lol:

I have always liked that idea but what would you do for St. Cloud, UMD, and mosly Alaska. SCSU and UMD would not have the capacity and not many people would spend the money for go to Alaska. My maroon and gold glasses are on with this comment I'm sure but I always thought the Xcel was a good choice because it was kind of Central for most teams with the exception of the Colorado teams and Alaska.

I would assume when the Sioux name debacle is figured out UND will start hosting some more Regionals?

The problem with most cities hosting the Final Five is that they do not have an arena with the capacity that St.Paul, Denver, Milwaukee or Madison have. These cities have arenas that have atleast 15,000 seats to hold the event, and since every school splits the revenue I don't think they would want to give that up. You could have it in a smaller capacity arena like the Ralph or CC's arena, etc but you would have to charge alot more more tickets to make up for the revenue you would lose by not having it in a large arena.

The problem with most cities hosting the Final Five is that they do not have an arena with the capacity that St.Paul, Denver, Milwaukee or Madison have. These cities have arenas that have atleast 15,000 seats to hold the event, and since every school splits the revenue I don't think they would want to give that up. You could have it in a smaller capacity arena like the Ralph or CC's arena, etc but you would have to charge alot more more tickets to make up for the revenue you would lose by not having it in a large arena.

Right, so if you can accomodate you should be able to host.

*I deleted my previous post in case people already read it, didn't make much sense....go figure. :lol:

I have always liked that idea but what would you do for St. Cloud, UMD, and mosly Alaska. SCSU and UMD would not have the capacity and not many people would spend the money for go to Alaska. My maroon and gold glasses are on with this comment I'm sure but I always thought the Xcel was a good choice because it was kind of Central for most teams with the exception of the Colorado teams and Alaska.

I would assume when the Sioux name debacle is figured out UND will start hosting some more Regionals?

With the settlement with the NCAA that isn't supposed to be a factor. I have heard people say that UND/REA was going to bid for the NCAA.

Maybe one of the experts in the know can tell us?

I won't argue with the centralized location issue. Also, with a rotating host site, other cities would have a piece of the revenue (hotels, restaurants etc...). I don't believe you would hear restaurant owners complaining in G.F. or Madison every year when the Final Five comes to town about all the money they are taking in.

I wouldn't even mind seeing a alternating site approach. Minneapolis one year and Denver the next. Both cities could accomodate the teams and fans.

Then we should find out who has the largest arena, 2nd largest, and so on, in the country, and work out a lease agreement to host the Final Five there every year. This way we would maximize ticket revenue and travel is travel for all teams and fans involved.

Then we should find out who has the largest arena, 2nd largest, and so on, in the country, and work out a lease agreement to host the Final Five there every year. This way we would maximize ticket revenue and travel is travel for all teams and fans involved.

Like I said before smaller arena's will have to charge alot more for tickets to maximize ticket revenue than having it at a larger arena. The Xcel and Pepsi Center seat 18,000 whereas most other arena's are less than 12,000 so thats atleast 6,000 less paying customers. Thats alot of money each school will miss out on unless they charge more.

the X is the perfect place for the final 5 tourney every year. i love it there, best overall hockey atmosphere and tourney including the frozen 4

obviosuly the sioux logo issue is the reason we wont get a regional, also i think they are trying to get away from home arenas hosting. i may be wrong on that but i thought i read that somewhere regarding the future of regionals. oh well that minnesota got 2 regionals, what can you do besides get in that regional and beat them there no matter what team you cheer for. buckysieve is correct that you have to have the high seed to have last line change and that type of stuff but i think most fans point isnt having the last line change or a smaller sheet of ice. at least regioanls in minnesota nd north dakota will sell out and create a hell of a atmosphere unlike the east coast regionals, those are a friken joke when you watch them on tv. even CC sucks hosting regionals in their barn. denver wasnt bad in the big arena when porter went wrap on EJ and the long island ice goalie

Like I said before smaller arena's will have to charge alot more for tickets to maximize ticket revenue than having it at a larger arena. The Xcel and Pepsi Center seat 18,000 whereas most other arena's are less than 12,000 so thats atleast 6,000 less paying customers. Thats alot of money each school will miss out on unless they charge more.

A good reason for the arguement to rotate between Denver and Minneapolis.

i wouldnt mind that. every other year in denver and minny but the majority of teams besides du, cc and uaa are in that minny area and that means many fans of those actual teams will be there. bottom line is selling out and both cities would do that but i dont see that happening anytime soon

I wasn't in Denver 2 years ago for the regional, but I recall the UND/UMN final was not a sellout.

Att: 11217

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20070325&am...mn&gender=m

The X would be jammed for a UND/UMN final. I bet it would be full for a UND vs. anyone final.

I like the X as a regional site.

I wasn't in Denver 2 years ago for the regional, but I recall the UND/UMN final was not a sellout.

Att: 11217

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20070325&am...mn&gender=m

The X would be jammed for a UND/UMN final. I bet it would be full for a UND vs. anyone final.

I like the X as a regional site.

i would say there are only a few arenas that big that would sell out for any regional and that being said the home team would have to be in that title game. like you said, if the home team isnt in the title they wont sell out at all. the X is fine for a regional. i think the question is that they got 2 in a row in minny both hosted by minny. it would be different if scsu or whoever hosted at the X as then the gophers wouldnt get placed in that regional if they make the ncaa tourney.

The Pepsi Center is a wonderfull arena and Denver could accomodate the Final Five. The question is will enough fans attend, since majority of the teams fan bases are over 900 miles away. Besides in your first response you were concerned about the cost of you driving to the cities for the Final Five. With it in Denver your expenses would be alot higher ( I am assuming you live in the GF area).

The Pepsi Center is a wonderfull arena and Denver could accomodate the Final Five. The question is will enough fans attend, since majority of the teams fan bases are over 900 miles away. Besides in your first response you were concerned about the cost of you driving to the cities for the Final Five. With it in Denver your expenses would be alot higher ( I am assuming you live in the GF area).

i think it would sell out and many many sioux fans would help with that along with gopher fans then you add the local teams fans. no doubt a final 5 there every other year would sell out. regionals are different especially with that large of a arena

obviosuly the sioux logo issue is the reason we wont get a regional..

If you read the settlement it say there: Link to the settlement

After extensive negotiation, the State Board of Higher Education on October 26,

2007, formally agreed to settle the lawsuit against the NCAA. Under the settlement

terms, UND will be provided a three-year period from November 30, 2007 in which to

engage in a dialogue with North Dakota Sioux Tribes for purposes of securing

namesake approval for the continued use of the

Obviously they play there more than any other team. It's in the same city. Come regional time, everyone gets the same fair shot at tickets as everyone else. Plus, it's a great arena in a very central location. That's the point.

I'm not sure you can really say this is true. It's obviously heavily marketed towards the host team. Also the host teams' fans know that they will be in that regional if they make the NCAA's. Makes it a much easier decision to buy those regional tickets.

When Denver hosted the regional before the Frozen Four you had to buy like two regional tickets to be able to get an option to buy a frozen four ticket.

I'm not sure you can really say this is true. It's obviously heavily marketed towards the host team. Also the host teams' fans know that they will be in that regional if they make the NCAA's. Makes it a much easier decision to buy those regional tickets.

When Denver hosted the regional before the Frozen Four you had to buy like two regional tickets to be able to get an option to buy a frozen four ticket.

Sure, it's an easier decision. But everyone still has the same opportunity as everyone else to buy those tickets. It's not that hard to sell your tickets if need be once you find out where your team is headed, if it is some other regional site.