SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Division 1 Men's Ice Hockey Regional Site Selections Announce

Esoxpirate

Like I said before smaller arena's will have to charge alot more for tickets to maximize ticket revenue than having it at a larger arena. The Xcel and Pepsi Center seat 18,000 whereas most other arena's are less than 12,000 so thats atleast 6,000 less paying customers. Thats alot of money each school will miss out on unless they charge more.

IMO, there is no way you would get the Pepsi Center to sell out any year, let alone every other year, if they hosted a final 5. How many teams are within 300 miles(roughly) of it? 2. How many teams are within 300 miles(roughly) of the XCel? 6.5(MTU is 367 miles). That's a large difference, considering the major traveling fan bases(UMN, UW, UND) are among them.<--IMO again.

Considering that the teams have a revenue sharing stream associated with the Final Five(I believe), there is no way it will happen IMO.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure you can really say this is true. It's obviously heavily marketed towards the host team. Also the host teams' fans know that they will be in that regional if they make the NCAA's. Makes it a much easier decision to buy those regional tickets.

When Denver hosted the regional before the Frozen Four you had to buy like two regional tickets to be able to get an option to buy a frozen four ticket.

Not sure how they would have done that. The regional tickets sales are handled by the host school. where the Frozen Four tickets are available ONLY through the lottery system run by the NCAA. Denver would have had NO control concerning the Frozen Four tickets.

Regarding the Final Five. Every WCHA school has the oppertunity to bid for the tournament. I have no idea how many do, but if you recall the few years where the tournament alternated between Minnesota (St Paul Civic Center & Target Center) and Wisconsin (Bradley Center), the attendance in Wisconsin wasn't very good. Badger games didn't sell out, or even come close. So, keeping in mind the goal of the Final Five is to make money for the WCHA, where else should this tournament be held ?

The Pepsi Center is a wonderfull arena and Denver could accomodate the Final Five. The question is will enough fans attend, since majority of the teams fan bases are over 900 miles away. Besides in your first response you were concerned about the cost of you driving to the cities for the Final Five. With it in Denver your expenses would be alot higher ( I am assuming you live in the GF area).

You are right, the cost would probably go up. I am trying to look at it as an issue of fairness and for a few selfish reasons. One, I wouldn't be inundated with thousands of obnoxious Gopher fans (not all are obnoxious, but if it was held in another city, the real obnoxious ones probably wouldn't show up.) Secondly, as I said before if I have to shell out the $$$ then so should you (I mean you in general). Thirdly, if I can't show up and the Gophers make it to the championship game, believe you me, there will be a Gopher fan ready to scoop it up and it would be unfair to the opposing team when 80% of the crowd on supposedly "neutral" ice is cheering for the Gophers.

I wasn't in Denver 2 years ago for the regional, but I recall the UND/UMN final was not a sellout.

Att: 11217

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20070325&am...mn&gender=m

The X would be jammed for a UND/UMN final. I bet it would be full for a UND vs. anyone final.

I like the X as a regional site.

Would the Pepsi Center sell out in a Denver/CC final? Would the X sell out in a Alaska/Tech final?

We could go round and round on this issue. Until it happens we will never know. I don't think it will ever happen because as we all know the NCAA/WCHA is more concerned about money than giving all teams an equal shot.

When I see things like the Gophers hosting back to back regionals, it only adds fuel to my fire that the Gophers have been and always will be a NCAA/WCHA darling. Sorry, please don't respond and attack as it is my opinion and anything you say will not get me to believe otherwise. Oh, and it makes me want to punch people like Woog who say otherwise when the evidence is clearly there.

Not sure how they would have done that. The regional tickets sales are handled by the host school. where the Frozen Four tickets are available ONLY through the lottery system run by the NCAA. Denver would have had NO control concerning the Frozen Four tickets.

Regarding the Final Five. Every WCHA school has the oppertunity to bid for the tournament. I have no idea how many do, but if you recall the few years where the tournament alternated between Minnesota (St Paul Civic Center & Target Center) and Wisconsin (Bradley Center), the attendance in Wisconsin wasn't very good. Badger games didn't sell out, or even come close. So, keeping in mind the goal of the Final Five is to make money for the WCHA, where else should this tournament be held ?

Remember things have changed since the days of the old Civic Center. More and more fans are willing and do travel to see their team play. So I don't want to compare days of the old to today.

Would the Pepsi Center sell out in a Denver/CC final? Would the X sell out in a Alaska/Tech final?

We could go round and round on this issue. Until it happens we will never know. I don't think it will ever happen because as we all know the NCAA/WCHA is more concerned about money than giving all teams an equal shot.

When I see things like the Gophers hosting back to back regionals, it only adds fuel to my fire that the Gophers have been and always will be a NCAA/WCHA darling. Sorry, please don't respond and attack as it is my opinion and anything you say will not get me to believe otherwise. Oh, and it makes me want to punch people like Woog who say otherwise when the evidence is clearly there.

I agree everyone has their opinion and I respect that. In regards to the Gophers hosting back to back regionals do we know who else put a bid in? The regionals are based on a bidding process and if nobody else put a bid in except the Gophers what is the NCAA going to do.

After seeing that Wisconsin leads the league in attendance, I don't think that would be an issue anymore.

I agree everyone has their opinion and I respect that. In regards to the Gophers hosting back to back regionals do we know who else put a bid in? The regionals are based on a bidding process and if nobody else put a bid in except the Gophers what is the NCAA going to do.

True, but I have got to believe that at least one other city put in to host the Western Regional one of those 2 years.

True, but I have got to believe that at least one other city put in to host the Western Regional one of those 2 years.

There may have been multiple bids to host the regional BUT if Minnesota's bid was the highest that is usually what determines it. Also, was it the Xcel or University of Minnesota that put the bid in since the regional is at the Xcel, .

There may have been multiple bids to host the regional BUT if Minnesota's bid was the highest that is usually what determines it. Also, was it the Xcel or University of Minnesota that put the bid in since the regional is at the Xcel, .

Am I wrong to equate the X with the University of Minnesota? Again, it just seems to be an unfair advantage here when getting a regional host site. It is actually too bad for the Gophers and their fans, since they really have nothing to do with it and receive the brunt of our frustrations. They just get to enjoy the benefits. I don't expect Don or any fan to say it is not fair and want an investigation into it. Simply put, if the Western Regional was in G.F. every other year or more, you wouldn't hear it from me. Except to gloat about how much more the NCAA/WCHA wants us to win.

Good point ......remember (again), that the NCAA awards these things to sites that guarantee the most $$$$, that is really the criteria.

I've been reading this since it started and have to finally say I'm glad it's at the Xcel! Though I completely agree that it IS home ice for the Gophers it's also a great chance for us SIOUX fans to go and cheer our team since the NC$$ would most likely put us there. I think we would have more fans than all the other teams...just like Denver and the other spots as well! If by chance we don't get placed a the Xcel we can still wear our Sioux jersey's, watch good college hockey and cheer for ANOTHER Gopher loss!

Am I wrong to equate the X with the University of Minnesota? Again, it just seems to be an unfair advantage here when getting a regional host site. It is actually too bad for the Gophers and their fans, since they really have nothing to do with it and receive the brunt of our frustrations. They just get to enjoy the benefits. I don't expect Don or any fan to say it is not fair and want an investigation into it. Simply put, if the Western Regional was in G.F. every other year or more, you wouldn't hear it from me. Except to gloat about how much more the NCAA/WCHA wants us to win.

I know the NCAA wants to get regionals off campus but I guess I just don't understand your point how its an unfair advantage. EVERY school has the opportunity to host a regional.

OMG!!! Not again, I can't take this Xcel/Goofy home ice crap another second!!!

Drop the puck, stop the insanity, we need some order in our lives once , please, please, drop the puck!!!!!

Your right, it is getting ridiculous. Its very simple, if you want to host a regional put a bid in!

Your right, it is getting ridiculous. Its very simple, if you want to host a regional put a bid in!

Do you seriously think the Ralph did not place a frikkin bid for any of the regionals? They host the most successful regional in the history of NCAA hockey, and they just decide, "you know what, I don't think we'll ever bid on one of those again..." :lol: They've consistently said they are actively working on getting another regional back to the Ralph.

There are good arguments for choosing the Twin Cities, but the "nobody else bid" card is rediculous.

The problem I have is...why do I always have to chuck out the gas and hotel money for these games along with my whole weekend (don't forget about taking Friday off of work) for that matter while MN fans never have to.

This is what makes Fighting Sioux fans the best fans in the country. Compared to some other fans, we have to work harder to watch our team play, whether it's the Grand Forks Sioux fan driving five hours to the Twin Cities for the Final Five or an NCAA regional, or the Twin Cities Sioux fan ordering a $400 satellite system to watch home games on television. Being a Sioux fan does not come as easy as being a fan of our favorite rival, but I think the extra effort makes the payoff more rewarding.

This is what makes Fighting Sioux fans the best fans in the country. Compared to some other fans, we have to work harder to watch our team play, whether it's the Grand Forks Sioux fan driving five hours to the Twin Cities for the Final Five or an NCAA regional, or the Twin Cities Sioux fan ordering a $400 satellite system to watch home games on television. Being a Sioux fan does not come as easy as being a fan of our favorite rival, but I think the extra effort makes the payoff more rewarding.

Very well said mksioux!!! We are the best traveling fans in all of hockey.....and I don't think a rival team could ague with that....but I'm sure they'll try :lol: