SiouxSports.com Forum

Brad Schlossman on hockey's popularity in Fargo

star2city

Hockey is outselling hoops in Fargo

The Forum reported this week that the Fargo Force have sold 1,800 season tickets already, an impressive number.

In comparison, NDSU men's basketball has 1,509 season ticket holders and the Bison women have 1,251. So, in Fargo, a junior hockey team that is still four months from existence already has more season ticket holders than the major college basketball programs in town.

This must be a first in the history of sports in Fargo. All previous attempts to establish hockey in Fargo have failed in part because the Football-Wrestling-Basketball Sports Axis exerted a tremendous amount of influence in the community as a whole. Support for hockey was always painted as taking away from football, wrestling and basketball. In other words, it was treated as a zero-sum game. This is a sign that the construction of the Urban Plains Center (even with all it's warts) and the hiring of a credible hockey man like Dean Blais has given the idea of hockey in Fargo some real traction for the first time. I personally am all for it, as it will strengthen the sport in the region.

Fargo is a FB town first, then a baseball town. Basketball is overrated as much as hockey is underrated as far as popularity in Fargo. NDSU FB is very popular because they are very good. The Redhawks draw regardless--good entertainmnet and venue. Basketball, especially @ NDSU, is overhyped based on fan turnout. The Force will be well attended and will be a great addition to the Fargo sport's community.

"Nobody cares about hockey."

That's what the Bison crowd has told us all along.

Whups. :silly:

Hey Schlossman:

How many UND Hockey season ticket holders drive from Fargo?

More than 1500 (the number of season tickets for Bison MBB) would be really embarrassing.

"Nobody cares about hockey."

That's what the Bison crowd has told us all along.

Whups. :silly:

Hey Schlossman:

More than 1500 (the number of season tickets for Bison MBB) would be really embarrassing.

There are 3, including my family, on our street!

I worked in Fargo for 8 years, commuted from GF. The number of people who lived in Fargo and who asked me if they could buy my tickets every hockey week end was close to 1500!!! OK , not really but close. :silly:

There are 3, including my family, on our street!

Hmmm, where did they go to school? Do you guys really think it is all that amazing that UND alum/fans drive 70 miles to see a hockey game? In ND driving 70 miles is nothing, it's an hour in the car. I think it's great Fargo is getting a USHL team and I'm glad to see tickets are selling well. I wonder what ticket sales would be like if they were playing in the old rink up on the north side of town, probably pretty low. Season ticket sales for Bison hoops is not great or even good at this point but I think when/if the new addition to the Fargodome is done you will see season ticket sales go up quite a bit. What happened to season ticket sales when you got your new hockey arena? Funny what a new arena will do for ticket sales isn't it.

Hmmm, where did they go to school? Do you guys really think it is all that amazing that UND alum/fans drive 70 miles to see a hockey game? In ND driving 70 miles is nothing, it's an hour in the car. I think it's great Fargo is getting a USHL team and I'm glad to see tickets are selling well. I wonder what ticket sales would be like if they were playing in the old rink up on the north side of town, probably pretty low. Season ticket sales for Bison hoops is not great or even good at this point but I think when/if the new addition to the Fargodome is done you will see season ticket sales go up quite a bit. What happened to season ticket sales when you got your new hockey arena? Funny what a new arena will do for ticket sales isn't it.

I think the point was it is amazing that UND fans would drive to GF from Fargo to watch D1 hockey in greater numbers than NDSU fans going across town to the BSA to watch D1 BB.

I am a NDSU grad who drives to Grand Forks. I have several friends who did not go to either school who drive from Fargo or Moorhead for hockey games.

Moorhead high school hockey draws about as many people as Bison BB.

The majority of people who do not like hockey are small towners who did not have the sport. I feel bad for them ;)

I am obviously biased because I really only follow hockey. I still root for NDSU football. I go to a few games every year. My father in law is actually getting inducted into the NDSU hall of fame during homecoming this year. I have to check the dates - I hope it is before hockey season starts. :silly:

A lot of people are excited to see the new Urban Plains Center, so they are in a great position to market tickets for first year season ticket holders. Unfortunately NDSU basketball still plays in the old BSA. Look for them to get a great boost for both men and women when they finally break ground on the new Fargodome addition. In any event, there are a lot of hockey fans in the FM area, personally I'd like to see Minot or Bismarck build something similar to the Urban Plains to help grow hockeys popularity out west. But due to the associated costs of hockey it will never take the place of basketball and wrestling outside of a handful of communities. The Jr. Gold teams help, but there are still too few opportunities for rural ND.

Bison men's basketball averages over 3,000 fans per game. I have never heard of a Moorhead hockey game getting that much.

That's because you don't follow hockey as close as others.

The Moorhead Sports Center holds 3,300.

I remember back a few years when Moorhead would play Roseau or Hill Murray(?) and the place was SRO. They apparently had a fire marshall regulating the crowd number. I personally never saw the marshall, but I remember it being packed.

That's because you don't follow hockey as close as others.

The Moorhead Sports Center holds 3,300.

I remember back a few years when Moorhead would play Roseau or Hill Murray(?) and the place was SRO. They apparently had a fire marshall regulating the crowd number. I personally never saw the marshall, but I remember it being packed.

Back when I was in high school at Moorhead, the place got packed for every game against Fargo South, as well.

This comes as no surprise to me personally, but it sure is nice to see this egg all over the faces of the hockey-hating Bison zealots. Great news for the continued growth of hockey at the youth level here in Fargo.

Dave you know that statement makes you sound less that objetive and like a homer. Just for the record :silly:

Well, I never claimed to be objective about Bison zealots. On the contrary, I think I recall once stating just for the record that I'm openly unobjective about all topics concerning NDSU. :silly:

Well maybe you will think twice before you bust someone else's chops next time. ;)