SiouxSports.com Forum

Fargo Smoking Ban

Ray77

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is awesome. now i can go to a bar for a beer and not have to shower when i get home. long overdue, and i would guess the rest of north dakota will follow suit, although it may take years.

I'm not too sure about that. The momentum for public smoking bans is growing, not shrinking. If a conservative community like Fargo can get public support for a smoking ban, the rest of the state won't be far behind.

I'm not too sure about that. The momentum for public smoking bans is growing, not shrinking. If a conservative community like Fargo can get public support for a smoking ban, the rest of the state won't be far behind.

To be honest, I think a few years down the road we'll all (or most of us) look back and think - "Wow, it really took us that long to pass this?". Anyone remember when you could smoke on an airplane? Now how crazy does that sound?

I think a lot of the momentum to pass the total ban came from Minnesota's ban awhile ago; bars in Moorhead were already smoke-free, so taking Fargo's to the same standard wasn't that much of a stretch.

I think a lot of the momentum to pass the total ban came from Minnesota's ban awhile ago; bars in Moorhead were already smoke-free, so taking Fargo's to the same standard wasn't that much of a stretch.

Where does Grand Forks stand on this? Is this going to be up for a vote in GF soon or is it nowhere on the radar there?

Lived in Williston for a few of years in the mid 90's and hunt frequently near the Bowman/Rhame area and I would argue that getting any community west of the Missouri River to support a smoking ban is less likely than communities east of the Missouri River. It is a different social mentality in western ND vs. eastern ND. Plus western ND people don't look fondly on eastern ND people. There is a definite dislike of Fargo once you get west of Bismarck.

This is also true in some tobacco growing states like Kentucky. When Minneapolis' smoking ban went into effect, I didn't hear of any bars closing because of it, and many went out of their way to accommodate their smoking clientle.

I'm not happy about this, and I'm not even a smoker. I don't allow people to smoke in my home or in my vehicle, but I do like to indulge in the guilty pleasure on the rare occassions that I get to go out drinking. I don't like the way I smell when I get home, but how f'n hard is it to shower and wash your clothes? I do support no smoking policies in all public places with the exception of bars, but to include bars is a travesty. Smoking and drinking go together like peanut butter and jelly. Now I have pretty much lost the desire to even go to bars at all anymore. This is disgusting IMHO. :silly:

Dave...this post may have topped any other post I've ever read from you. You don't like smoking, you don't like the way you smell when you get home, you support no smoking policies everywhere else...but this makes you mad?

I know people who were against the ban and their point of view was that this takes away rights of people (to smoke and bar owners to make this choice for their business). I guess I look at it as my right to breathe clean air trumps a person's right to smoke when it affects others around them. On top of that, nobody is saying a person can't smoke...they just have to go outside to do it.

The rebuttal that I'm always told is that I can choose to go elsewhere. The reality is that I'm not aware of any non-smoking bars in Fargo - there may be 1 or 2 - (and I mean bars, not restaurants) and the only one in GF that I'm aware of is Dagwoods/Overtime (and I've heard that may be going to a smoking bar). So what that says is that I being a non-smoker have to cater to smokers and avoid places if I want to avoid smoke. Why is it OK to tell me that I can choose to go elsewhere if I want to avoid smoke, but there's something "wrong" with telling smokers they have to go outside to smoke and can't smoke in the establishment? Which one is more right? I guess I refer back to a person's right to breathe clean air trumps the right to smoke. Now with this ban, everyone can go to the bar (even smokers) and enjoy it...the smokers just have to go outside to smoke.

I'm not happy about this, and I'm not even a smoker. I don't allow people to smoke in my home or in my vehicle, but I do like to indulge in the guilty pleasure on the rare occassions that I get to go out drinking. I don't like the way I smell when I get home, but how f'n hard is it to shower and wash your clothes? I do support no smoking policies in all public places with the exception of bars, but to include bars is a travesty. Smoking and drinking go together like peanut butter and jelly. Now I have pretty much lost the desire to even go to bars at all anymore. This is disgusting IMHO. :silly:

DaveK-

Your guilty pleasure mean that in the eye of many in the medical field you ARE a smoker.

My wife had pnemonia when she was a baby (did some damage) and can't be in a smokey bar for more than a few minutes before she has to leave. Now I'll be able to take her out on the town and have some fun. ;)

As a Fargo resident, and someone who has previously worked many years in the bar industry, this is completely freaking awesome! I look forward to taking my son out for a beer on his 21st birthday in a few years and not having to choke on other peoples "rights" to do it.

Just my opinion.

Lets face it, smokers have very little respect for non-smokers so I'm glad this passed. I really could care less if smoking is allowed in bars but the disrespect towards non-smokers does not simply exist indoors. Everyday at 5pm when I leave work the cigs are coming out before we get out the door. Then we all get to experience blown smoke in our faces all the way to the parking lot. They can't wait 2 minutes to get into their cars?

Sorry but I'd never vote for anything that provides relief or priveledge to the disrespectful, no matter what their disgusting habit may be.

I was opposed to the Hennepin County smoking ban that was passed several years ago, but it's worked out fine. The smokers will step outside for the occasional heater break, people inside still have clean air and best of all, no bar stench on the clothes the next morning. It's worked out fine, and I'd look forward to Grand Forks following suit very soon.

I always ask parents if their children are exposed to 2nd hand smoke. It's amazing how many, 'I don't always smoke in the house or car' answers I get!! What the hell do you mean, 'not always'! Aaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You feel like a 2nd hand citizen because you smoke? I DON'T CARE!!! :silly:

OK, so kids don't belong in a bar but I like going out to a bar for fun/beer/pool/etc. You have the choice to smoke out side and come back in to enjoy yourself. My choice is to go home.

I am so happy that smoking is banned in Fargo and look forward for the same in Grand Forks. If that means DaveK won't be going to the bars, well, so be it!! ;)

It only works out for those who choose not to smoke. For the rest of us, we're being deprived of the ability to enjoy a cigarette with our beer. I can't think of any on-sale liquor establishments that will allow a person to take a drink outside the building. Without the beer in one hand, the cigarette in the other hand is worthless. I'm not speaking on behalf of the smokers, but rather on my own behalf as an individual. I'm sure the smokers value that cigarette with or without the beer. I don't.

There are as many smokers out as ever. Putting the drink down or finishing it and stepping outside for a heater is about a five minute affair, just not a big deal.

I get that, I'm just saying that for me personally if I don't have a beer in one hand I no longer want the cigarette in the other. That's why I said I was not speaking on behalf of smokers, but rather myself as an individual. I don't consider myself to be a smoker. If I smoke one day, then go 6-8 weeks without smoking, smoke one day, go another 6-8 weeks without smoking, and so on... I don't think that defines me as a smoker. If some anti-smoking zealot choose to define me as a smoker, so be it. It's beside the point. I don't smoke to satisfy a craving for nicotine like regular smoker do, I smoke only to enhance my enjoyment of the beer I'm drinking. Now that privelege has been taken away from me thanks to a lot of non-smoking voters who probably don't even go to bars and won't be affected one way or the other. :silly:

The smart bar owners down here (with deeper pockets) have put three season porches in or fenced in areas so that patrons may do both.