SiouxSports.com Forum

English Department Letter

Stromer

My question is do you have to be "enlightened" (aka indoctrinated by the English, Anthropology, Religion, or Communication departments) to see the link between this recent anti-Semitic incident and the logo? If that is the case, I am glad to be

My question is do you have to be "enlightened" (aka indoctrinated by the English, Anthropology, Religion, or Communication departments) to see the link between this recent anti-Semitic incident and the logo? If that is the case, I am glad to be

"ex-German"? How the f*** do you become an "ex-German"? Do you turn in your membership card? Blood transfusion? Idiot ... :D

Cue the protest sit-in by Hans, Jeanotte and Sharpton. :D The actions by some student(s) at UND are despicable in these situations, but it also brings to light some of the idiots UND has on staff as faculty.

As a UND employee, I am outraged by the English department and these claims. Perhaps better than the word outraged is embarrassed. As mentioned earlier, for you non-UND employees, there are NORMAL departments out there, don't lump all instructors, assistant professors, associate professors and professors together. There are a few normal ones out there, but not many.

Did you guys hear that the cyclone that hit Myanmar was caused by the Sioux logo too ... and the Holocaust ... and global warming ... and hurricanes ... and volcanic eruptions . . ... . . and Jericho getting cancelled . .. and the death of Julious Ceasar just to name a few.

Don't even get me started on how the Sioux logo made Adam and Eve take a bite of the darn apple . ...

My Kingdom for some freakin' COMMON SENSE!!!!!

STOP THE INSANITY . . . NOW!!!!

Cue the protest sit-in by Hans, Jeanotte and Sharpton. :D The actions by some student(s) at UND are despicable in these situations, but it also brings to light some of the idiots UND has on staff as faculty.

Don't think Sharpton can afford airfare to GF for the sit-in since he owes 1.5 mil in back taxes. :D But Maybe Jeanotte, Hans and FWB can pitch their "efforts" together for a spaghetti feed to help bail poor Al out.

Wow. Your school is really going to have a tough time when the entire English Department resigns en masse and goes to the reservation(s) to volunteer their time as teachers.

:D

Well if FWB can teach on the SLR, they would surely welcome these clowns, too!

This is really sad. As a parent, I question the teachers and professors who have voiced their opposition to the name and logo; NOT because they voice their opinion but the manner in which they do so. These people are teaching our children! I don't want my son/daughter to go to school and be told, 'Whitey screwed you out of California, Arizona, New, Mexico, Texas, etc. Now it's up to you to 'stick it to the man.' This is someone's agenda. My goal in sending my children to school is to complement what they learn at home, be confident in who you are, education is a key to your future, there are many different people out there-learn from them, there may be things that you don't like but you have to find ways to get along/accept and offer solutions to make things better for yourself and others. There are lots more but you get the idea.

These 'educators are negative to the core.

1. They make broad, unsubstantiated allegations and profess them to be the truth.

2. They blame a name and logo for all the negative things that happen to them and others.

3. They state bitter, angry, vengeful things, '..stick it to the man..' as the ultimate goal.

4. They don't offer the opportunity to learn and grow from something they perceive as a negative.

5. They only see one side of an issue. (That can be said of tsome he pro name and logo folks as well.)

6. They don't see compromise as a solution.

There's more but the first hour rush is beginning.

This is really sad. As a parent, I question the teachers and professors who have voiced their opposition to the name and logo; NOT because they voice their opinion but the manner in which they do so. These people are teaching our children! I don't want my son/daughter to go to school and be told, 'Whitey screwed you out of California, Arizona, New, Mexico, Texas, etc. Now it's up to you to 'stick it to the man.' This is someone's agenda. My goal in sending my children to school is to complement what they learn at home, be confident in who you are, education is a key to your future, there are many different people out there-learn from them, there may be things that you don't like but you have to find ways to get along/accept and offer solutions to make things better for yourself and others. There are lots more but you get the idea.

These 'educators are negative to the core.

1. They make broad, unsubstantiated allegations and profess them to be the truth.

2. They blame a name and logo for all the negative things that happen to them and others.

3. They state bitter, angry, vengeful things, '..stick it to the man..' as the ultimate goal.

4. They don't offer the opportunity to learn and grow from something they perceive as a negative.

5. They only see one side of an issue. (That can be said of tsome he pro name and logo folks as well.)

6. They don't see compromise as a solution.

There's more but the first hour rush is beginning.

I could feel the bullseye on me so I'll reply. You all think I'm an A-hole, which is fine with me as I probably am. But I can tell you all honestly that this subject has never been discussed in any of the classes I teach, NEVER. Whether or not you beleive me, I don't care. I Know the truth and thats all that matters. I also have never discussed or brought the "Stick it to whitey" mentality in my classes, again if you don't believe, fine. Unfortunately, the students are bringing that attitude with them from home. They and their parents/relatives have had experiences that are shaping their attitudes toward caucasions. We have, on occasion, discussed race relations and the message I try to give is tolerance and mutual respect. I take my job very serious and know my responsibility in molding young minds. I have also never discussed this garbage with my own kids. Hoka.

I recall while at UND and taking some of my general course work that in a composition class having to write a persuasive paper. At the time I chose to write about why we should keep the nickname and logo. I felt strongly about the situation so I really put a lot of time and effort into the paper. I am a terrible writer, but this was probably the best writing I have ever done. When it was returned to me with a failing grade I was shocked (although looking back I shouldn't have been) Well I figured the only reason my grade was so poor was because the professor didn't like my perspective. So I decided then just to drift through the class and tried to write about thing this professor would agree with. I really put no effort into the actual writing other than to make sure the prof. would like the general message. Somehow all these crap papers I turned in ended up getting decent grades, in spite of the work actually being very bad.

This experience left me with no faith in the faculty of the English dept. at UND. The guy is an absolute joke and should never be allowed to teach at any level, but I am sure he and many like him still have jobs. What I don't understand is, how does somebody who is teaching basic composition courses at UND have such a huge ego that they will grade material based upon if you share views on political issues? You're teaching in the English dept, what have you done that's so great and causing this huge ego?

I could feel the bullseye on me so I'll reply. You all think I'm an A-hole, which is fine with me as I probably am. But I can tell you all honestly that this subject has never been discussed in any of the classes I teach, NEVER. Whether or not you beleive me, I don't care. I Know the truth and thats all that matters. I also have never discussed or brought the "Stick it to whitey" mentality in my classes, again if you don't believe, fine. Unfortunately, the students are bringing that attitude with them from home. They and their parents/relatives have had experiences that are shaping their attitudes toward caucasions. We have, on occasion, discussed race relations and the message I try to give is tolerance and mutual respect. I take my job very serious and know my responsibility in molding young minds. I have also never discussed this garbage with my own kids. Hoka.

Now you are sounding like a mature, intelligent and responsible person. I truly hope this is the case so I will give you the benefit of the doubt here. Your previous multiple posts wouldn't indicate this but none the less this was good to read.

have you ever noticed that the departments that are so anti-logo are housed in some of the worst buildings on campus? O'Kelly (communications) hasn't been updated since the '40s, Babcock (Anthro) is about ready to fall down, and Merrifield's (English & Indian Studies) lecture halls are a flashback to the '70s. Maybe these departments should take a lesson from Aerospace, Business, Med, and Law and do some fundraising for better facilities for students instead of writing pointless letters to the Herald saying "how bad it is at UND" I have been here for three years and to be honest it really isn't that bad.

In regards to the previous post that isn't an isolated incident most of the anti-logo profs give failing grades to those who are for the nickname.....Now who's being racist?

I recall while at UND and taking some of my general course work that in a composition class having to write a persuasive paper. At the time I chose to write about why we should keep the nickname and logo. I felt strongly about the situation so I really put a lot of time and effort into the paper. I am a terrible writer, but this was probably the best writing I have ever done. When it was returned to me with a failing grade I was shocked (although looking back I shouldn't have been) Well I figured the only reason my grade was so poor was because the professor didn't like my perspective. So I decided then just to drift through the class and tried to write about thing this professor would agree with. I really put no effort into the actual writing other than to make sure the prof. would like the general message. Somehow all these crap papers I turned in ended up getting decent grades, in spite of the work actually being very bad.

This experience left me with no faith in the faculty of the English dept. at UND. The guy is an absolute joke and should never be allowed to teach at any level, but I am sure he and many like him still have jobs. What I don't understand is, how does somebody who is teaching basic composition courses at UND have such a huge ego that they will grade material based upon if you share views on political issues? You're teaching in the English dept, what have you done that's so great and causing this huge ego?

Had a similar experience with a prof that taught a philosophy class. She was a lesbian, she was way "left" on everything and seemed not to hold UND in high regard generally speaking per her comments in class. I, on the other hand, was/am male and not gay. I believe in individual accountability and responsibility in all facets of life and I am a big fan of UND the university. She was bound and determined though to try and convince you that any conviction or philosophical idea you had, that was not in line with hers, was wrong. Interesting class to say the least. There are a lot of profs at UND who think their job is to change, not teach, students.

What I don't understand is, how does somebody who is teaching basic composition courses at UND have such a huge ego that they will grade material based upon if you share views on political issues? You're teaching in the English dept, what have you done that's so great and causing this huge ego?

This should not be happening in America's colleges but it is. It is distateful.

have you ever noticed that the departments that are so anti-logo are housed in some of the worst buildings on campus? O'Kelly (communications) hasn't been updated since the '40s, Babcock (Anthro) is about ready to fall down, and Merrifield's (English & Indian Studies) lecture halls are a flashback to the '70s. Maybe these departments should take a lesson from Aerospace, Business, Med, and Law and do some fundraising for better facilities for students instead of writing pointless letters to the Herald saying "how bad it is at UND" I have been here for three years and to be honest it really isn't that bad.

In regards to the previous post that isn't an isolated incident most of the anti-logo profs give failing grades to those who are for the nickname.....Now who's being racist?

Don't forget Gillette Hall. :D The building isn't all that nice and is filled with professors that hate the Fighting Sioux name.

Yet, you state that attitude here. I must say that I doubt the sincerity of your remarks. I can only imagine your venom in a setting where you actually think you may have some influence. I think you're probably just like the loopy white professors at UND; the only difference is that you're NA and on a res. Same warped perspective though. Indoctrinators is a more fitting word than "educators."

She was bound and determined though to try and convince you that any conviction or philosophical idea you had, that was not in line with hers, was wrong. Interesting class to say the least. There are a lot of profs at UND who think their job is to change, not teach, students.

Side Note on English Departments: Dartmouth's Hostile Environment causes English Professor to Sue

Often it seems as though American higher education exists only to provide gag material for the outside world. The latest spectacle is an Ivy League professor threatening to sue her students because, she claims, their "anti-intellectualism" violated her civil rights.

Priya Venkatesan taught English at Dartmouth College. She maintains that some of her students were so unreceptive of "French narrative theory" that it amounted to a hostile working environment. She is also readying lawsuits against her superiors, who she says papered over the harassment, as well as a confessional expos