SiouxSports.com Forum

Atmosphere: Old Ralph vs. New Ralph

hermit

Which arena had a better atmosphere the old or the new? I much prefer the old because it was not such a see and be seen social event like the new.

I just assumed that hermit would never set foot in the new Ralph with all the hostile and abusive logos and being named after a former mobster and all. I assume you are speaking only about your view from protesting in front of the building right herme?? Or do you forget your moral stance when your sucking back a beer and eating a pretzel in your nice comfy leather seat.

I just assumed that hermit would never set foot in the new Ralph with all the hostile and abusive logos and being named after a former mobster and all. I assume you are speaking only about your view from protesting in front of the building right herme?? Or do you forget your moral stance when your sucking back a beer and eating a pretzel in your nice comfy leather seat.

No doubt.

You are right I will not go to any games there.

Now why would anyone put sound absorbing material on the ceiling?

It wasn't done to absorb sound, but to make the place look nicer. Just look around the top edge of The Ralph. There is a ceiling that extends out over the upper level. Unless that material is steel or concrete, by its very nature (being soft or softer) it will tend to absorb sound waves and not reflect them. The same thing happens with wall coverings (they didn't exist in the old The Ralph either). And any empty leather seats will absorb sound. While we have the classiest hockey arena in college hockey, some of that class makes it tougher to create sound.

It wasn't done to absorb sound, but to make the place look nicer. Just look around the top edge of The Ralph. There is a ceiling that extends out over the upper level. Unless that material is steel or concrete, by its very nature (being soft or softer) it will tend to absorb sound waves and not reflect them. The same thing happens with wall coverings (they didn't exist in the old The Ralph either). And any empty leather seats will absorb sound. While we have the classiest hockey arena in college hockey, some of that class makes it tougher to create sound.

Good points. That makes sense. Thanks.

You are right I will not go to any games there.

I much prefer the old because it was not such a see and be seen social event like the new.

How do you know that the new is a 'see and be seen social event' if you don't go to games there? :D

I went to the Oak Ridge Boys concert back in the old Ralph (when Elvira was popular) worst sounding concert I have ever been to (thank goodness I won the tickets on the radio)

Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow

Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow :D

How do you know that the new is a 'see and be seen social event' if you don't go to games there? :D

Because I know a lot of the crowd that does this. Also from what I have heard from "real" long time fans, the ones who have had season tickets for 30 years.

I know that some may think that I am wacko! But it goes back to that old proverb that until you walk a mile in someones moccasins you really can't see things from their perspective. In modern terms, its like a guy telling a woman what a labor pain feels like! But, I think that we are missing the boat when we take a look at the new Ralph and what we have done to the Sioux logo. What is the closest thing that we as Americans cherish as our logo? While some may say the sign at Walmart - I was raised thinking it was the American flag. We hold it in reverence. We stand, we salute it, we told that their are certain ways that it is to be displayed and we certainly never walk on it. Yet when you walk into the new Ralph you have to try hard not to walk on the logo - the source of Sioux pride! The locker room has it embroidred into the carpet. How can we not see that such irreverence for such a souce of pride does not come with consequences. I know that some of you that read this will take the opporunity to mock what I have said, and if you think from such vein, tell your wife what a labor pain feels like. My point is not to get rid of the logo, but moreover - display it with the reverence it deserves!

I know that some may think that I am wacko! But it goes back to that old proverb that until you walk a mile in someones moccasins you really can't see things from their perspective. In modern terms, its like a guy telling a woman what a labor pain feels like! But, I think that we are missing the boat when we take a look at the new Ralph and what we have done to the Sioux logo. What is the closest thing that we as Americans cherish as our logo? While some may say the sign at Walmart - I was raised thinking it was the American flag. We hold it in reverence. We stand, we salute it, we told that their are certain ways that it is to be displayed and we certainly never walk on it. Yet when you walk into the new Ralph you have to try hard not to walk on the logo - the source of Sioux pride! The locker room has it embroidred into the carpet. How can we not see that such irreverence for such a souce of pride does not come with consequences. I know that some of you that read this will take the opporunity to mock what I have said, and if you think from such vein, tell your wife what a labor pain feels like. My point is not to get rid of the logo, but moreover - display it with the reverence it deserves!

Sure we are like that towards the American Flag. But have you ever watched the Canadian people at a sporting event with their national flag? They wear it like a cape, they drag it around, they paint it on their faces; you get the point, its all over the place. We are just brought up with a different kind of respect for a symbol. Sometimes I wish we had that kind of enthusiasm, but we are taught at an early age that the flag is almost sacred.

Maybe my ears are better than when I'm young, :D but I don't remember so DA## many advertisements over the PA. Not to mention doing it in the middle of a sieve chant, as happened against Denver in the 3rd period.

Let's sell the home ice advantage for a few bucks, or for a 5th reminder about the Sioux Kids Club. We heard you the first 4 times.

If there's one easy change I'd make to improve atmosphere, it would be to suspend PA advertisements in the 2nd half of the game, and let the band and the fans boost the home team.

I know what you are saying (well, I think I do). I always try to avoid stepping on the logo when I walk into the Ralph, mostly because I read somewhere that Eagle feathers are sacred in Native American culture. I feel like if we are going to use the logo in the way it is intended, we should also respect some of the culture that the logo entails. But, of course, how do you keep 11,000 people from stepping on such large Eagle feathers in between periods? Aside from removing the marble logos from the floor, it would be a logistical nightmare.