SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Playoff Series

nodak hockey fanatic

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice to sit at the Final Five without having some maroon wearing fan in my face spitting beer and propaganda. Every year it seems like the random acts of stupidity get cranked up a bit.

Don't press your luck. I'll be there...

I've never had a problem with UMD Bulldog fans.

We just have a problem with you... and some of your dates.

Hoggsbreath is a daytime bar/restaurant so anyone younger than 21 can be in the place until 9:00 pm.

Was everyone OK with the Hogger last year or not-so-much?

It worked fine for us, but last year a Gopher fan that we know was horrified that we were in there. He said he got shot in there about 11 years ago. But, if its during daylight hours it is probably still fine. Let's do it.

Still no clue which night's tickets to buy. I think that tickets should be available for a while this year as Gophers fans may wait and see if they make it before buying up tickets...

A true hockey fan goes to all of the games. :D

While its good for the atmosphere to have the Gophs there it would be nice break. The Target Center was like a morgue. Best part the weekend was the band coming through the doors of the Irish bar across the street and just setting up shop.

That was a great time. Nothing like being underage and drinking at a bar. Just took my brother there about a week ago and told him some of the crazy tales.

I want nothing more than for the Gophers to lose and be out of the NCAA's and the start would be losing the first round of the WCHA's. However, they got the one match-up they wanted and the one team they've been able to beat. They swept Mankato earlier, have they even done that to anyone else?

I want nothing more than for the Gophers to lose and be out of the NCAA's and the start would be losing the first round of the WCHA's. However, they got the one match-up they wanted and the one team they've been able to beat. They swept Mankato earlier, have they even done that to anyone else?

they also swept ohio state and wayne state of course at the ucci

mankato is a much different team right now like the gophers are with actually having a goalie thats not drunk on the ice so it should make for a nice 3 game series going the way of the purple cow in OT

It's been that way at least since the games have been at the X - I would like to see a link to article saying it has changed.

Here's an example from 2005 F5

http://wcha.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/031305aac.html

2005 Red Baron WCHA Final Five - March 17-19 - Xcel Energy Center - St. Paul MN

Games for Thursday, March 17: #5 North Dakota vs #4 Wisconsin, 7:37 pm CT (TV: FSN North).

Games for Friday, March 18:

North Dakota/Wisconsin winner vs #1 Denver, 2:37 pm CT (TV: FSN North);

#3 Minnesota vs #2 Colorado College, 7:37 pm CT (TV: FSN North).

Since I've been to the Final Five back since its days at the Target Center and the St Paul Civic Center before then, thanks for the history lesson. This agreement has nothing to do with FSN.

they also swept ohio state and wayne state of course at the ucci

mankato is a much different team right now like the gophers are with actually having a goalie thats not drunk on the ice so it should make for a nice 3 game series going the way of the purple cow in OT

Seems like we are good for sweeping at home then....and the Alltel Center or whatever it is is just going to be Mariucci south campus this weekend....I'm willing to bet we have almost the majority of fans

The TV contract is worth more with the "rule" - a Friday afternoon Gopher game would be packed as usual so the gate would not be affected.

:D A Friday afternoon Gopher game wouldn't generate a total crowd of more than 16,000. And that would include about 5,000 Sioux fans who were there waiting to see UND play Friday night.

Packed as usual? It should be. But with the sense of entitlement most Gopher fans have, even the ones in attendance would be whining about why their fans should have to take a half-day off of work to see their beloved Price on Ice play hockey.

Seems like we are good for sweeping at home then....and the Alltel Center or whatever it is is just going to be Mariucci south campus this weekend....I'm willing to bet we have almost the majority of fans

wouldnt that be sweet if your your fans could score goals!

Haha our team has been getting better in that department so hopefully we won't need to worry about that. AZ I'll stop and watch the Final 5 with you when we are in it :D

theres no doubt the gophers can make the final 5 but my pick is the mavs in 3. not because i cant stand the gophers hockey team but because i think the mavs are better this season. ive been wrong many many times but just how i see it like all other series

I am thinking the Goofs don't make the final five anyways so we don't have to worry about it.

If they make the Final Five they will get a 7:00 pm game but it will be on Thursday.

I can see some complaining IF the GOOFS make the Final Five, win the thursday play in game, then are given the prime time game on Friday night. That is just wrong in my book. However, the Sioux would benifit from that as well. Minnesota has to get past MSU-M first.

How would we benefit from this if we don't make it to the WCHA Final Five? I think we need to worry about getting past Michigan Tech first. It would appear that some are counting their chickens before they hatch.

How would we benefit from this if we don't make it to the WCHA Final Five? I think we need to worry about getting past Michigan Tech first. It would appear that some are counting their chickens before they hatch.

gona be a tough games as they always are vs tech but especially tough if 2 of our top offensive/all around players are not playing in tj and chay!

gona be a tough games as they always are vs tech but especially tough if 2 of our top offensive/all around players are not playing in tj and chay!

In total agreement with you AZ. However, it seems that some fans think we already have our ticket punched to the Final Five.

Here is the reason the "Minnesota rule" sucked for the play-in teams. If the Gophers were the #2(or3) seed, which would normally play the afternoon game against the #3(or2) team, they would get to move that game to Friday night, to boost attendance. Now, the winner of the 4/5 teams has to play the #1 seed in the afternoon. If the Gophs happened to be the #1 seed, then the rule didn't apply, the winner of the Thursday night game wouldn't play again until Friday night. Now, if the Gophs do NOT make the Final Five, the highest seeded team will be playing the winner of the Thursday night game on Friday night. Even if the Goofs do make it through the first round, they have to play Thursday night, and if they win, again on Friday night. To answer everyone's question about when the Sioux will be playing, UND will be playing Friday afternoon, UNLESS CC happens to get beaten by the Seawolves (which is doubtful). There, now I am done, and will get off my soapbox. :D

and due to the fact that the Sioux have yet to play their best of 3 series, what I stated above about when they play depends upon them winning 2 games this weekend. There, now I am not overlooking Tech.

Here is the reason the "Minnesota rule" sucked for the play-in teams. If the Gophers were the #2(or3) seed, which would normally play the afternoon game against the #3(or2) team, they would get to move that game to Friday night, to boost attendance. Now, the winner of the 4/5 teams has to play the #1 seed in the afternoon. If the Gophs happened to be the #1 seed, then the rule didn't apply, the winner of the Thursday night game wouldn't play again until Friday night. Now, if the Gophs do NOT make the Final Five, the highest seeded team will be playing the winner of the Thursday night game on Friday night. Even if the Goofs do make it through the first round, they have to play Thursday night, and if they win, again on Friday night. To answer everyone's question about when the Sioux will be playing, UND will be playing Friday afternoon, UNLESS CC happens to get beaten by the Seawolves (which is doubtful). There, now I am done, and will get off my soapbox. :D

and due to the fact that the Sioux have yet to play their best of 3 series, what I stated above about when they play depends upon them winning 2 games this weekend. There, now I am not overlooking Tech.

If you assume a win for UND, you are overlooking MTU. I am not saying anyone will win/lose. I am just pointing out if UND loses this weekend, they won't be playing the following weekend in the Final Five and you will have overlooked MTU.

CC in 2 - easy wins

UND in 2 - close game Friday, 6-2 win Saturday

UMD in 3 - Very close and interesting series

UM in 2 - They are a very desperate team

SCSU in 3 - big goals from a high powered offense are the key

UM over UMD in play in game - close one, worth getting there early for

UND over SCSU - scoring a ton of goals as a make-up for this past weekend

CC over UM in a great game - "great" meaning the goofs get man-handled

CC and UND is too close to call - I will be there cheering for my Sioux and think we will win a great one!!!!!

:D A Friday afternoon Gopher game wouldn't generate a total crowd of more than 16,000. And that would include about 5,000 Sioux fans who were there waiting to see UND play Friday night.

Packed as usual? It should be. But with the sense of entitlement most Gopher fans have, even the ones in attendance would be whining about why their fans should have to take a half-day off of work to see their beloved Price on Ice play hockey.

Attendance from last year's Fri afternoon game:

Fri., March 16 (North Dakota vs. St. Cloud State) 17,511

http://wcha.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/031707aaf.html

I would assume that if UMTC played Fri afternoon the crowd would as big if not bigger.

The point is moot however, because UMTC does not play Fri afternoon F5 games, at least for now.