SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Playoff Series

nodak hockey fanatic

Now I had to go look it up...

1998 WCHA Final Five title game...UND was up 2-1 after 1 period and 3-1 with about 14:00 left in the 2nd when the wheels fell off. It was 3-3 going into the 3rd and Denver won 4-3.

attendance? 8,445. Yikes.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

I do know what you mean about Gopher fans though. I won't lose any sleep if they lose at Mankato this weekend and are eliminated from the tournament.

While its good for the atmosphere to have the Gophs there it would be nice break. The Target Center was like a morgue. Best part the weekend was the band coming through the doors of the Irish bar across the street and just setting up shop.

While its good for the atmosphere to have the Gophs there it would be nice break. The Target Center was like a morgue. Best part the weekend was the band coming through the doors of the Irish bar across the street and just setting up shop.

You'll still get the die-hard hockey fans (Gopher fans included) there but the casual bandwagon fan with tickets from Imation won't be going. Let's just say that the top seeds all advance:

Mankato vs St Cloud play-in game

Friday semi-final #1: UND vs DU

Friday semi-final #2: CC vs Mankato/St Cloud winner

I doubt that a CC/DU or CC/UND title game tilt could top the 16,507 who watched CC/DU play back in 2005. That tournament at least had UND and Minnesota playing the 3rd place game, which obviously was a draw for Gopher fans.

Of course, this is all attendance speculation. My guess is that there will be an upset or two that will change everything...

It "should be" the afternoon game, but by agreement of the conference schools, it would be moved to the Friday night game.

Barring several upsets, count on the Sioux playing on Friday afternoon.

It's the coaches that vote on the game times (afternoon vs night) correct?

It's the coaches that vote on the game times (afternoon vs night) correct?

I believe so, and they all know that putting the Gophers in the Friday night game is good for business just the same as if the tourney was in Grand Forks and the Sioux were in the night game. Each program gets a cut of the profits, so the coaches obviously want to see the most ideal combination of teams on Friday.

I believe so, and they all know that putting the Gophers in the Friday night game is good for business just the same as if the tourney was in Grand Forks and the Sioux were in the night game. Each program gets a cut of the profits, so the coaches obviously want to see the most ideal combination of teams on Friday.

Cmon, if the WCHA was that concerned about revenue, they would move those CC/DU championship games to Saturday afternoon and those meaningless 3rd place games at 7:00 pm prime-time!

Mr and Mrs Siouxmama (possibly + 1 kid) and Sioux-cia (possibly + 1 kid) are interested.

The kids are both >21.

Hoggsbreath is a daytime bar/restaurant so anyone younger than 21 can be in the place until 9:00 pm.

Was everyone OK with the Hogger last year or not-so-much?

It's in the TV contract between FSN and WCHA that if the Gophers are playing on Friday, that game will be the evening game.

I want to see the link for that please. If the Gophers don't make the Final Five, you'll watch FSN scramble to try and find a reason not to broadcast the tournament at all.

I want to see the link for that please. If the Gophers don't make the Final Five, you'll watch FSN scramble to try and find a reason not to broadcast the tournament at all.

It's been that way at least since the games have been at the X - I would like to see a link to article saying it has changed.

Here's an example from 2005 F5

http://wcha.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/031305aac.html

2005 Red Baron WCHA Final Five - March 17-19 - Xcel Energy Center - St. Paul MN

Games for Thursday, March 17: #5 North Dakota vs #4 Wisconsin, 7:37 pm CT (TV: FSN North).

Games for Friday, March 18:

North Dakota/Wisconsin winner vs #1 Denver, 2:37 pm CT (TV: FSN North);

#3 Minnesota vs #2 Colorado College, 7:37 pm CT (TV: FSN North).

It's the coaches who vote to keep the Gopher Rule intact - nothing to do with FSN. With the Gophers playing at 7pm on Friday, it generates more money for the league.

The TV contract is worth more with the "rule" - a Friday afternoon Gopher game would be packed as usual so the gate would not be affected.

I am thinking the Goofs don't make the final five anyways so we don't have to worry about it.

If they make the Final Five they will get a 7:00 pm game but it will be on Thursday.

I can see some complaining IF the GOOFS make the Final Five, win the thursday play in game, then are given the prime time game on Friday night. That is just wrong in my book. However, the Sioux would benifit from that as well. Minnesota has to get past MSU-M first.

I am thinking the Goofs don't make the final five anyways so we don't have to worry about it.

If they make the Final Five they will get a 7:00 pm game but it will be on Thursday.

I can see some complaining IF the GOOFS make the Final Five, win the thursday play in game, then are given the prime time game on Friday night. That is just wrong in my book. However, the Sioux would benifit from that as well. Minnesota has to get past MSU-M first.

the top seed should get the friday day game getting more rest for the saturday title game. if its the coaches that ok everything though then big deal. nothing that can be done about it.