SiouxSports.com Forum

Wild vs. Canucks

JMB

No one was picking the Wild to get past Colorado, not even the Twin Cities sportswriters (they each had the Wild winning one game at the Xcel, and losing the series in 5).

So, what does everyone think that they will do against Vancouver (the team that everyone was hoping they'd get in the first round)?

I think that Vancouver is a little deeper than Colorado, and that will make them tougher. Colorado, IMO, really only had Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk and Tanguay (and maybe Hinote) on forward lines as legitimate goal scores, so Lemaire could match up his best defensive line against them as much as possible.

Vancouver, on the other hand, has Bertuzzi, Naslund, Morrison, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, et. al. They aren't as top heavy as Colorado is, but they have better depth throughout their lines - meaning Lemaire can't put Walz and co. against the top line.

Having said that, I think that the series will go 6 or 7 games, and the team that gets the best goaltending wins. Cloutier does nothing for me, so I'll take the Wild in 7.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give this series a toss-up. If it was a first round matchup I would have picked Vancouver in 5-6, but after seeing the Wild show the Heart to come back from 3-1 on the Avs I really cant call it. You can argue who is a better team on paper but hey you never know.

The Wild beating the Avs is a bigger upset than the Anahiem / Wings thing but I wonder if the Wild has enough gas in the tank to take down the Canucks.

The Wild beating the Avs is a bigger upset than the Anahiem / Wings

I don't know if it's a bigger upset. Probably about "even" in terms of an upset. I think what is shocking in the Detroit/Ducks series is that the Ducks took them out in a 4 game sweep. What seems shocking about the Avs/Wild series is that Colorado blew a 3-1 series lead and lost 3 of 4 at home.

Maybe the Wild would like to play their home games at the Pepsi Center? :ohmy:

I like the Wild's chances in this one. The season series between the two teams is 2-2-1, with Vancouver not winning one at home (both wins for Vancouver were at the X. The Wild one one at the X, one in Vancouver, and the tie was I believe also in Vancouver. It will be another great series, just like the first round was.

Also, I know that this is a little off subject...ok it's a lot off subject...but, if there are any lawyers on this forum, where is a good web site to do a case search (If one specializes in Aviation...that's even better, but any one will do).

I actually think the Wild can win the series. I would never count Lemeire out. The coach of the Wild got a stanely cup in New Jersey with a less talented team.

I don't know...I think it's a tough call to say that the 1995 Devils were a less talented team.

Please don't read this as shot at the Wild...I think that they are very talented. I just think that the Devils in 95 were very talented as well, and no less talented than the Wild are this season.

leifolson Posted on Apr 25 2003, 04:16 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know...I think it's a tough call to say that the 1995 Devils were a less talented team.

With Martin Brodeur between the pipes, the Devils are in contention all the time. All Prince Patrick's records could be his by the time he is done playing.

If Manny is hot for the series, he could be the difference.

Wild in 6 games.

The 95 Devils were a less talented team than the 03 wild? I am not taking anything away from the wild but the 95 Devs were one of the best defensive teams ever.

95 Devils Roster

The Wild don't have prime d-men like Stevens or Scott Niedermayer. Jim Dowd was also on that team. Neal Broten was a mid-season addition from Dallas. Stephane Richer was in the prime of his Career and was the teams top scorer. The checking line was Mike Peluso, Bobby Holik, and Randy McKay. Claude Lemieux was on that team and had 13 goals in the playoffs. And Im sorry Roloson and Fernandez are no Brodeur.

The Wild are a great team but they are an expansion team on a great run. Lemaire is a great coach but the Wild are an expansion team and the Devils even in 95 had some history of sucess. The Wild are about 2 or 3 years from being a long term contender in this league they need a few years of Development in the system, but don't make the error of calling the Wild a great team. Remember the Florida Panthers that made it to the finals and didnt go anywhere since.

Sorry Wild fans... but dont start having the Stanely Cup in your eyes.

While I agree to never count out a team coached by Lemaire, I wouldn't go so far as to say the Wild are as talented as the '95 Devils team. A lot of what flatspin says is true...as much as we (Wild fans) would like to think so, or hope for that matter, Roli and Fernandez vs. Brodeur is not a wash. Jim Dowd vs. Jim Dowd isn't either (you have to give us that one :) ). I think that Gaborik has the potential to be better than Richer, but right now he is not. However, I will take Wes Walz over Mike Peluso any day. Neal Broten...need I say more? And The Wild certainley do not have any defensemen the caliber of Stevens and Scott Niedermeyer. Plus, who can argue with Tom Chorske!! :ohmy: The thing that has worked for the Wild has been teamwork and trust in the system.

I also believe that the Florida Panthers team was bought...they put it together for one year for a Cup run, then it was dismantled, much like the Florida Marlins World Series team. I think the Wild will pretty much stay intact after this season is over.

But I do have my sights set on a Stanley Cup, maybe not this year...but soon...its the playoffs, anything's possible.

Also, I know that this is a little off subject...ok it's a lot off subject...but, if there are any lawyers on this forum, where is a good web site to do a case search (If one specializes in Aviation...that's even better, but any one will do).

Not a lawyer, but using the internet's best search engine (google) will get you tons of sites to look at. This one, http://www.legalscholar.com/, for instance, has a section on aviation law.

If you search for things often, the google tool bar is invaluable, http://toolbar.google.com. Now back to hockey.

You can try findlaw. There are a number of forums and other sources of general information for lawyers and non-lawyers.

Please don't read this as shot at the Wild...I think that they are very talented. I just think that the Devils in 95 were very talented as well, and no less talented than the Wild are this season.

With Marty in net and a Neutral Zone Trap, it was a winning combination. Great defensive team but not a lot of fire power up front. The 1995 Devils were mean and nasty and beat up the opposition. What ever it was it worked to a "T"...

What a win, for the Wild in tonights game. The games ends and it gets nasty a brawl almost erupts. I just can't stand Todd Bertuzi, the guy is a cheap shot artist. Wow... Gaborik was awesome. Roli the goalie was stellar... I really hate Vancover. I think this was a character win, as the Wild coach out coached the Canucks coach...

What a win, for the Wild in tonights game. The games ends and it gets nasty a brawl almost erupts. I just can't stand Todd Bertuzi, the guy is a cheap shot artist. Wow... Gaborik was awesome. Roli the goalie was stellar... I really hate Vancover. I think this was a character win, as the Wild coach out coached the Canucks coach...

Bertuzzi is an angel compared to Cooke. Nice slash and run there big guy. Disgusting.

I like an occasional fight as much as the next guy, so was glued to the set at the end of the game. But don't want to see Tuesday become a slugfest. I like a good fast moving hockey game.

That said, really good effort by the Wild last night. I think they will take the series. Has anyone been more key for the Wild in the playoffs than their goalies? WOW!

Still, for a team that is supposed to be so good defensively, they sure are having some difficulty clearing the zone, especially in critical times late in the game.

Looking forward to Tuesday's game.

Still, for a team that is supposed to be so good defensively, they sure are having some difficulty clearing the zone, especially in critical times late in the game.

I think Vancouver's size is causing the Wild (ahem) big problems. My fear is the longer this series goes the more the advantage goes to Vancouver because of the size advantage.

:ohmy: I guess the Wild have managed to define the term "goaltender by commitee". Lemaire is a great coach, probably a better coach than a player (and he was really good at that too) If this guys doenst win coach of the year I dont know who deserved it.

The guy took an expasion club from nothing to taking down the AVs a far superior team (on paper) and now are giving a Vancouver all they can handle. The Wild have gotten this far with out declaring a starting goalie!! He took a player like Wes Walz a guy that has been bouncing up and down the NHL, AHL and Switzerland!!!.

If the Wild had any other coach they would be cannon fodder in that division, but Lemaire can take a team consisting of not the best talent (Gaborik excluded--He rules :) ) and turn them into a Legit playoff performer. He did the same thing with the Devils in 95 the Devs had a better team but before Lemaire they were perrenial first round losers until 94 when they got to the conference finals and got beaten by the Dirty Rangers. (I hate the Rangers more than I had the Gophers) But won the whole deal the year after.

So I guess I am saying that the Wild this year are not a fluke, they will be a solid team for a while and then over time they will start attracting higher level free agents and they will have much sucess. I don't think they have enough to win the cup this year but the Wild will contend and could win it all with 4 or 5 years. Not bad at all.

I think Vancouver's size is causing the Wild (ahem) big problems. My fear is the longer this series goes the more the advantage goes to Vancouver because of the size advantage.

Seemed like they struggled in this matter with Colorado as well, IMO.

I haven't watched a lot of pro hockey. I've been amazed at how well these guys pass and catch, with little time and space to make decisions.

However, over the last several games it seems that Colorado and Vancouver have had way to much success forechecking and cycling. Wild are consistently getting beat to loose pucks in their own zone, etc. The Wild are supposed to be quicker and faster. Why is this? Or am I just thinking they are having this difficulty because I WANT THE PUCK OUT OF THE ZONE.

Oh, next season can Roche or Murphy replace Sekeras?

I haven't watched a lot of pro hockey. I've been amazed at how well these guys pass and catch, with little time and space to make decisions.

Ditto. The Wild's "crappy" skill guys can really handle the puck - Brunette, Zholtok, Laaksonen. I can't get over the skill level in the NHL. It's a wonder to me that any college players are able to succeed there (I know that Laaksonen played at Denver, and there are many others). It makes it all the more remarkable that a guy like Bayda was able to step in to the NHL and succeed in what would have been his "true" senior year of college.

Also, even though Baron hasn't been real impressive in the first two games, it's pretty wild that three players from the 1987 title team were still NHL regulars this year, after all these years (Belfour, Hrkac and Baron). Come up with your own time-warp comment here, but Bush senior was still the VP at that time, to provide a little perspective.

Seems that the Stanley Cup has become much more entertaining, again. Seemed that the interference that went on almost slowed the game to a crawl until the league started clamping down on it. Now the skills are again much more apparent.

Seems that college hockey is following the same road as the NHL. Doesn't seem that the games (and I've seen very few) are as entertaining as they were several years ago. Time to take the interference out of the college game, imo.

And it's not just because it's been the Gophers (rather than the Sioux) winning the past couple years (although that may be part of it :ohmy:

For me the trapping New Jersey team (this year and the past several) is not nearly as entertaining as the Wild. Hard to imagine they play the same style.

Great point on the puck control. I went to one Wild game - My son and I got there early to watch them warm-up. It's amazing to watch them pass the puck back and forth and to see (live) how much zip they put on the puck. They do nothing half a$$ed out there.

Last year we had two "special guests" skate with us during a POI game (I'm not supposed to name names, but they are both from Duluth, one graduated last year and played D, the other this year and (maybe :) ) got his first goal in college & neither is considered highly skilled) and they schooled us when they had the puck. Simply amazing to have a guy go past me that fast, usually I have time to turn around before they score. :ohmy:

dagies - got your e-mail, but I will need some time to get back to you. No problem though.