SiouxSports.com Forum

Wild vs. Canucks

JMB

Just in watching these games I am a proponent of a large ice surface for the pro game. I think NHL sized rinks are just right for the college game, but the pro's need a bigger surface. I'd like to see Gaborik, Forsberg, et al with more room and time to do something with the puck.

I'm curious about other points of view (I realize this isn't an original idea, I just never had an opinion based on watching so little pro hockey. Boy, aren't you all happy I did...)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the standard NHL size rink for the pros and college. The smaller rinks lend themselves to a quicker game and a more physical game IMO. I think a smaller rink forces teams to go after the puck as the smaller surface leaves little time/room and forces quicker action on both ends, and leaves less room for error.

Seems that the Stanley Cup has become much more entertaining, again. Seemed that the interference that went on almost slowed the game to a crawl until the league started clamping down on it. Now the skills are again much more apparent.

Seems that college hockey is following the same road as the NHL. Doesn't seem that the games (and I've seen very few) are as entertaining as they were several years ago. Time to take the interference out of the college game, imo.

And it's not just because it's been the Gophers (rather than the Sioux) winning the past couple years (although that may be part of it ???

For me the trapping New Jersey team (this year and the past several) is not nearly as entertaining as the Wild. Hard to imagine they play the same style.

I always loved watching the Devils, I am a big fan of the D-game.

The game that the Wild play isnt as solid as the Devils teams, it seems as if the Wild have to dodge more bullets than the Devils have to.

Your team is always more exciting to watch its just the way it is.

Why is every one hateing on my Devils. :ohmy::) they Rule... even Barry "Nice Mullet" Melrose likes them.

Why is every one hateing on my Devils. :ohmy:  :) they Rule... even Barry "Nice Mullet" Melrose likes them.

I ain't hatin'. I think that people see your Devils as the most likely team the Wild will face in the Cup Finals, if they make it there. Hence all the comparisons. I would love to see a Devils-Wild Final. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be up here when they do, so I couldn't rub it in when the Wild sweep 'em. ;):p . I, along with the Mullet King, generally like the Devils, and if the Wild don't win, I'd like to see them getit this year.

Disclaimer: The Mullet King is not a knock on Melrose...ya gotta love the mullet :)??? !!

BTW...thanks to sprig, ScottM, and schmidtdoggydog for the sources, we actually gave up on the internet and used the good old opening up a book method, but We appreciate the help.

What was with that even-up hooking (or was it high-sticking) call on Andres Zyuzin towards the end of the 3rd, 45 seconds or so into the Wild PP on the Bertuzzi boarding call. I thought it was kind of suspect myself, as I didn't think what he did was hooking. I'm not one that blames the refs, and I am not doing so now, it's jsut an observation. The Wild NEED to do a much better job of clearing the puck out of their zone if they have any hope of still winning this series. That was the major problem I saw in tonight's game.

Did anyone else hear Greenlay and Goldberg hint that Trent Klatt might be in a Wild jersey next season?

What we saw on the replay (the hook and the OT double minor) could not have been what brought the penalties, I hope :ohmy:

Very weak calls if that was the case, not at all how the rest of this game and others have been called.

Have to assume we didn't see what actually happened.

Yeah, the rest of the game was called pretty consistantly from my point of view. I seem to remember Mike Goldberg saying something about how it was something other than the replay we saw, but I still don't remember seeing it, and they said that it wasn't consistant to the way the game had been called so far. Oh, well what's done is done, looks like the Wild will ahve to come from being back 3- again to win the series...anyone know if a team has ever come back from being down 3-1 twice in the playoffs?

Walz for Selke!!!

Lemaire for Jack Adams!!!

I'd also like to see either Naslund or Brodeur get the Hart...and I still say Fernandez got screwed out of the Vezina :ohmy:

Why is every one hateing on my Devils. :ohmy::) they Rule... even Barry "Nice Mullet" Melrose likes them.

I will field that one, being a big Bruins fan I have always hated the Devils, however, I do respect their grit and nastyness. I actually watched game 7 in 1988 at the Boston Gahden when the Bruins eliminated them in the conference finals. But the times have changed and the Bruins except for 1990 have been 1st round and out playoff disapointments every since.

I was disgusted with the Devils when they won the cup against the Detroit Red Wings with the dreaded Neutral Zone trap... Ugly hockey but perfected by the Devils.

Oh by the way incase anyone is watching the Wild are up 6-1 and pouring it on in the second period.

Looks like the Canucks thought they could just showup and win. The coach of the Wild Lemaire decided to just let the players have the day off it appears to have worked... In case anyone is shocked the refs called a penatly right away on the Wild against Gaberik...

Great game by the Wild last night... That was an old fashion beat down... who'd a thunk that the Wild would put up a 5 goal period and a 7 goal game against Vancouver. Very nice.. I like it :)

And also in the "Who'd a thunk it" file the freggin Ducks have become the first team to knock of both the number 1 and 2 seeds in their conference. Think about it... If the Wild comeback against the Canucks the conference final would a 6 v 7 series with the Wild having home ice... Geez

I love the playoffs. :ohmy:

Didn't the Florida Panthers do that when they played for The Cup in 1996?

95-96 NHL Playoffs

It looks like Florida did beat 1 and 2 in rounds 2 and 3. I guess what the ESPN folks were talking about how no one had ever done it in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs.

Its amazing what teams were good back in the Day and are less than good now. Pittsburg was a 2 seed, Chicago was a 3 seed. How times have not been nice to these teams.

Its amazing what teams were good back in the Day and are less than good now. Pittsburg was a 2 seed, Chicago was a 3 seed. How times have not been nice to these teams.

Not to mention the Rangers and Calgary...I know that Calgary was a 6 seed, but still. And time certainly hasn't been nice to the #8 seed from the West...THE Winnipeg Jets. Ah, yes...hockey nostalgia.

Not to mention the Rangers and Calgary...I know that Calgary was a 6 seed, but still. And time certainly hasn't been nice to the #8 seed from the West...THE Winnipeg Jets. Ah, yes...hockey nostalgia.

Come one guys I mean really, the future looks so much better. The Jets were fun to watch but they never won a playoff series in their miserable existance, thinking of which either have the Yotes in Phoenix.

Cal- Gary (as Barry Melrose Place calls it) hasn't been to the playoffs in some time.

I think this year has to be the best NHL hockey I have seen in sometime. Hell we almost had the goalies fighting last game between the Wild and the Canucks... It is nice to have a team in Minny again and we can actually start hating teams again. God I hate the Canucks and I wish someone would but that dity Ruutu in the mouth. Matt please hammer him and take a good shot at Bertuzzi too...

The play-offs this year have been great. There have been some classic match-ups. Philly / Toronto first round was a great physical series (war?), not to mention Avs/ Wild. There have been many the shockers as well. The Anaheim sweeping the Wings out of the first round was certainly that and then they take down the Stars in 6 just to prove they are serious. They maybe a fluke team on a roll with a goalie that has been playing out of him mind but hey... who can argue.

If the Wild had gotten swept out of the first round by the Avs no one would have been surprised or even all that pissed. The fact that the Wild got into the play-offs was great for a 3rd year team. Well then they not only take the AVs to 7 games but they win in OT... Very nice. Now they are in Game 6 with the Canucks (I think they should bring back the old jerseys! :blush: ) no matter what happends from this point on this play-off has been great for the Wild. The fans now have some great memories, and the team has some rivalries. I know the the Wild and the Canucks did not like each other all that much before the series but now there is a rivalry brewing that will last for a long long time.

This is great for Minnesota hockey... Win or lose! :D

On another note... Nothing gives me more pleasure that to see the Rangers suck mightly despite having the largest payroll in the league. As a born and raised Devils fan I only trully dislike 3 teams, Philly, the Avs and the Rangers. I really enjoyed seeing the Avs go down when it was obvious they thought the series was a given to them.

On another note... Nothing gives me more pleasure that to see the Rangers suck mightly despite having the largest payroll in the league. As a born and raised Devils fan I only trully dislike 3 teams, Philly, the Avs and the Rangers. I really enjoyed seeing the Avs go down when it was obvious they thought the series was a given to them.

Preach on. Watching the (st)Rangers take the gas pipe year after year after year after year is just heart warming. Almost as much fun as watching the Flyers choke on a chicken bone during the playoffs. I don't mind the Avs (it's a Sakic thing, I love his game) as much.

The Sens-Devil matchup will be fun to watch!

GO WILD!

Score now 4-1 and it looks like the Wild were off side but oh well, what can you say. I am not going to argue with that one. Mar Crawford going balistic. Call it poetic justice as the Wild got called a bogus call in game 4... After futher review the call was too close to call. Oh my the Wild just scored again and are now piling it on. This is beautiful...

I also like the fact that the Rags (Rangers) suck pipe.

Score now 4-1 and it looks like the Wild were off side but oh well, what can you say. I am not going to argue with that one. Mar Crawford going balistic. Call it poetic justice as the Wild got called a bogus call in game 4... After futher review the call was too close to call. Oh my the Wild just scored again and are now piling it on. This is beautiful...

I also like the fact that the Rags (Rangers) suck pipe.

Goon - Are we allowed to agree? :blush:

I hope they turn MJ loose in the last 5 minutes against the Vancouvers.

Goon - Are we allowed to agree? :blush:

I hope they turn MJ loose in the last 5 minutes against the Vancouvers.

Greyeagle,

I bet if we sat down and had a few beers we would probably agree on a lot of things. I am just hoping that Ruutu gets his due before the end of game 7. One of the Wild players just told Ruutu that he is a little cocky. Roli the goalie is awesome again. Who would have thought that a goalie from UofMass Lowell would be the star of game 6 eh? I like it... The Wild are 5-0 when facing elimination. What a stat...

Off to game seven, Man this is drama. God I hate the Canacks.

I love this series...the Wild are building a rivalry with Vancouver that will itself rival Detroit-Colorado. I agree that Ruutu, Bertuzzi, and Cooke all need to get popped before the end of this series. I now hate the Canucks too, but this time it is because of the rivalry (like how I hate the Packers and NDSU).

I think that everyone, besides New Yorkers, likes seeing the overpaid Rangers suck a golf ball through a garden hose, while trying to play hockey. The only player I like on that team is Mark Messier.