SiouxSports.com Forum

Injuries?

MJohnce

My only knock on LaPoint, if it's really a knock at all, is that he needs to be quicker with his decision-making. When I was at the games this weekend, he would have time to clear the puck and end up making a poor decision or just waiting too long to make the right one. He played ok, just needs to catch up to the speed of the game it seems to me.

Precisely. I couldn't agree more. And he did pick it up.

I wonder if LaPoint will be teamed back up with Marto or will they go with something different.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see how the D gets paired. Finley had such good chemistry with Chay. They really seemed to compliment each other. Hak paired LaPointe and Marto earlier in the season and that seemed to work OK, but I just don't see Jones and Finley together. Jones has and can play with both frosh and has done well being the "leader" and "mentor" of the defense pairing and if Jones plays with one of the frosh I'm not sure which one would play with Finley.

I think one area where both of these injuries,especially trupp, will affect big time is on the power play, trupp was the sparkplug on the second unit and the only one who has really produced on that unit, now who's going to step up on that unit, Martens, Miller, Kozek? I keep hearing Martens is playing so well and doing so many things, he is a junior now and it is time for him to step up and start scoring some goals. If this team is going to make the march to Denver we will have to have somebody on either the 3rd or fourth line start to add some scoring. we can't win a championship scorinf 2 goals a game.

Genoway's absence was particularly noticeable when the Sioux were trying to break out of their own zone; lots of hesitation and indecision on the part of d-men.

Losing Evan is a bad deal; losing Genoway is a serious deal.

Genoway's absence was particularly noticeable when the Sioux were trying to break out of their own zone; lots of hesitation and indecision on the part of d-men.

I agree... Time to see how how much depth the team has!! Keep the faith!

How about Miller, Martens and Frattin on the 3rd line. All skate pretty well and if Miller is going to give you anything offensively, that combo might work. Then you have Zajac, Malone and Radke to take care of things physically on the 4th line. Agree that Trupp injury hurts, but Genoway's is brutal for this team at this time of year if he is out for an extended period of time.

Addendum: Got back from ATL last night and when I watch yesterday's game, Genoway's hit looked like a shoulder issue as he was coming off the ice?

I thought Miller had a great game on Sunday. Showed really good speed and made some good choices with the puck that led to some chances. We will need him to continue to play well with Trupp's injury sounding like he may miss the rest of the season.

I really hope that Genoway's injury is short-term. The Sioux are deep at forward, but not quite as much at defense. This opens the door for both Marto and LaPoint to both see icetime, but leaves us thin if another dman gets injured.

Speedy and full recovery, Evan and Chay!

Agree 100% - Genoway is the spark plug on this team and he will be needed for the quest to #8.

The one thing I noticed after losing Chay yesterday was the team seemed to have a hard time finding and keeping the energy level up. It's hard losing both of these guys because both are real energy players and whenever the team seems to need a pick me up, one of those two usually come to the rescue.

I thought Genoway's injury looked like a shoulder issue as well, but he had his forearm wrapped. I think Miller is capable of generating some O, but we will miss Trupper's energy. IMO, LaPoint just looks slow on his skates, and indesicive with the puck. Good thing Jonesy is back in the line-up! Though I thought he was slow making decisions with the puck this weekend too, but he deserves more credit for his D, cause he's a force back there. Dynamite does come in small packages. I can't wait to see if Marto will take some more chances offensively with Chay out, now that kid can skate.

Let's get them Huskies!!!!

I thought Genoway's injury looked like a shoulder issue as well, but he had his forearm wrapped. I think Miller is capable of generating some O, but we will miss Trupper's energy. IMO, LaPoint just looks slow on his skates, and indesicive with the puck. Good thing Jonesy is back in the line-up! Though I thought he was slow making decisions with the puck this weekend too, but he deserves more credit for his D, cause he's a force back there. Dynamite does come in small packages. I can't wait to see if Marto will take some more chances offensively with Chay out, now that kid can skate.

Let's get them Huskies!!!!

He looks slow, because he is being micro managed by the bench. They just need to let him play and he will be fine. He can move the puck up the ice just as good as Chay, but is not allowed to. He did it in GB last year on a regular basis, just like Chay. He is to pass the puck to the forward or get it in deep on the 2nd power play unit.

He looks slow, because he is being micro managed by the bench. They just need to let him play and he will be fine. He can move the puck up the ice just as good as Chay, but is not allowed to. He did it in GB last year on a regular basis, just like Chay. He is to pass the puck to the forward or get it in deep on the 2nd power play unit.

:angry:

I would say he is being micro-managed from ss.com, not the bench. :(

How can someone be slow because of the coaches? He just lacks the foot speed of a dmen like Marto and Genoway. Which isn't a knock on him...not all dmen have to be speedsters, Finley and Jones come to mind, but they still get the job done.

I have faith in LaPoint back on the blueline. He will only get better, and I bet he has a good end to his frosh season, and a great soph year.

Sure this has been mentioned somewhere recently, but what is up with Forney??

he's probably not adjusting to the speed of the game, or the physicality of the game....i've said it before, i thought he was extremely over hyped when he came here....he WOULD NOT go into the corners in high school, he avoided the physical contact as much as possible....and once he decided to take a hit..he got hurt in the state tourney 2 years ago, i'm sure that sits in the back of his mind every time he goes in the corner with his eyes closed....sorry for being negative about a sioux player, but he is one that i see having part or all of his scholarship taken away and winding up somewhere else next year....IMHO....

if the sioux were to have a mulligan on who to take off of that theif river team that year, it shoulda been bendickson...he was the workhorse on that line...forney got the glory...

he's probably not adjusting to the speed of the game, or the physicality of the game....i've said it before, i thought he was extremely over hyped when he came here....he WOULD NOT go into the corners in high school, he avoided the physical contact as much as possible....and once he decided to take a hit..he got hurt in the state tourney 2 years ago, i'm sure that sits in the back of his mind every time he goes in the corner with his eyes closed....sorry for being negative about a sioux player, but he is one that i see having part or all of his scholarship taken away and winding up somewhere else next year....IMHO....

if the sioux were to have a mulligan on who to take off of that theif river team that year, it shoulda been bendickson...he was the workhorse on that line...forney got the glory...

That's all fine and good, but Bendickson had already graduated and was playing in Bismarck at the time.

I hope this isn't coming from DL - who else would know what the coaches are telling him but the players themselves - or you are making it up.

FYI - passing the puck to a forward is what a Dman is supposed to do. The WCHA is not the USHL, in case you haven't noticed.

He does not have the quickness Genoway has (1st 3-5 steps) to break down WCHA forwards at this point. This is why Genoway was able to pitch in at forward.

DL just needs to keep making good/fast decisions with the puck and he will be fine. Leave him alone.

I hope this isn't coming from DL - who else would know what the coaches are telling him but the players themselves - or you are making it up.

FYI - passing the puck to a forward is what a Dman is supposed to do. The WCHA is not the USHL, in case you haven't noticed.

He does not have the quickness Genoway has (1st 3-5 steps) to break down WCHA forwards at this point. This is why Genoway was able to pitch in at forward.

DL just needs to keep making good/fast decisions with the puck and he will be fine. Leave him alone.

marto and lapoint will have a chance to both step up here until chay gets back hopefully. i have confidence in both and hak wouldnt have played them both through the season if he didnt either. get healthy chay and lets see marto and lapoint step and just play their game! starts with scsu!! injuries happen and that is when others need to up their game another notch

...he WOULD NOT go into the corners in high school, he avoided the physical contact as much as possible....and once he decided to take a hit..he got hurt in the state tourney 2 years ago, i'm sure that sits in the back of his mind every time he goes in the corner with his eyes closed....
This is not correct.

give a kid a break who has had mutiple surgeries. not everyone comes back the same after getting operated on. many athletes lose speed, strength and sometimes all their game after having surgeries. some come back stronger, some dont. cant fault a kid for getting hurt. its part of sports. obviously forney is still sticking with it and hope he can see the ice his last 2-3 years if he ends up with a mdeical redshirt

I guess I haven't heard.

Are both guys out for the year?

What are the specifics?

nobody knows and the sioux usually dont say much about injuries anyways, i would say trupp may be done for the year and genoway have no idea