SiouxSports.com Forum

Mcleod says changes are evident

gfhockey

Found this on inside college hockey.

Trevor (Fargo, ND): How is the rest of the college hockey community reacting to the fights/wrestling matches that North Dakota has gotten into versus Minnesota and Denver?

Jess Myers: Well, the Sioux have always been the target of opposing fans ire because they're good, so it's not like they were lovable underdogs before the recent spate of on- and off-ice ugliness started. In speaking with WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod yesterday, he said he spoke to NoDak coach Dave Hakstol this week and the coach gave assurances that he'd be speaking to the players about their style of play. McLeod said his bigger concern is a general atmosphere of coaches, players and fans rhetoric toward the officials heating up, an increase in fighting, and a general increase in on-ice thuggery. He vowed that's going to change, not just for one team but for all 10.

Found this on inside college hockey.

Trevor (Fargo, ND): How is the rest of the college hockey community reacting to the fights/wrestling matches that North Dakota has gotten into versus Minnesota and Denver?

Jess Myers: Well, the Sioux have always been the target of opposing fans ire because they're good, so it's not like they were lovable underdogs before the recent spate of on- and off-ice ugliness started. In speaking with WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod yesterday, he said he spoke to NoDak coach Dave Hakstol this week and the coach gave assurances that he'd be speaking to the players about their style of play. McLeod said his bigger concern is a general atmosphere of coaches, players and fans rhetoric toward the officials heating up, an increase in fighting, and a general increase in on-ice thuggery. He vowed that's going to change, not just for one team but for all 10.

Fine then McCloud can get his refs to call the game the way it is supposed to be called. Actually you should listen to the INCH pod cast this week. Interesting to say the least.

If the refs would start calling all the slashing/hooking/tripping, & etc. that goes on, I don't think we would have to worry too much about what goes on with the Sioux. We are no angels by any means, but if they (the refs) would start paying more attention to the other teams for what they do when they play the Sioux, some of the slashing, and other things that go on, would soon become more of a non-issue. I know Radke can get a little too emotional too quickly, and that needs to be addressed, but why just talk to Hak about how his team plays, and not any of the other coaches from the other teams? :lol:

Maybe McClown can address the fact that a WCHA coached encouraged a player to escalate an already hot situation by pushing one of their players to join a fight.

If the player had had only the judgment of this coach I believe both teams would have gotten involved.

So what's McClown going to do about that situation?

I just hope McCloud/WCHA adopts an NHL-style of officiating and gets some refs that can do the job instead of the clowns he has doing the games now. It'd be nice to see the highly skilled players in this league have a little space to be creative rather than fighting through hooks and holds the whole game ala Oshie. If the league went that way, UND would benefit.

The Sioux can still fight once in a while... :lol:

I just hope McCloud/WCHA adopts an NHL-style of officiating and gets some refs that can do the job instead of the clowns he has doing the games now. It'd be nice to see the highly skilled players in this league have a little space to be creative rather than fighting through hooks and holds the whole game ala Oshie. If the league went that way, UND would benefit.

The Sioux can still fight once in a while... :lol:

That is the answer, hopefully the WCHA get's their act together soon.

WCHA & Official Association:

NEWS FLASH:

When the league (McCleod) and his boy (Old Man Sheppard) have the guts to make some serious changes to the league structure of officiating, it will be way too late. The best kids potentially will start looking at the CCHA, HEA and various other leagues because of the constant thuggery the WCHA has. All the serious Hobey Baker Candidates come from Michigan east. Why, because these kids get treated the way they do in the NHL and the absolutely biased East Coast writers.

How can the WCHA's very best, have 20-25 pts. less then the Hobey top flights. This league is an absolute joke when it comes to officials. Bottom line is revamp the entire Officials Association and bring in some young guys who are up and comers that aren't afraid to change this pathetic ref'd league.

The NHL should let the WCHA know that if you aren't going to clean it up we will just sign the 'young guns' before they even start college to keep them healthy and content.

The WCHA is a total goon league from top to bottom because of the ref's. It is the old NHL where you get away w/ highway robbery and the ref's officiate the scoreboard.

Better take hold of the superstars of this league soon because they will be looking east, or NHL (AHL) before wanting to get absolutely killed in the WCHA.

WCHA & Official Association:

NEWS FLASH:

When the league (McCleod) and his boy (Old Man Sheppard) have the guts to make some serious changes to the league structure of officiating, it will be way too late. The best kids potentially will start looking at the CCHA, HEA and various other leagues because of the constant thuggery the WCHA has. All the serious Hobey Baker Candidates come from Michigan east. Why, because these kids get treated the way they do in the NHL and the absolutely biased East Coast writers.

How can the WCHA's very best, have 20-25 pts. less then the Hobey top flights. This league is an absolute joke when it comes to officials. Bottom line is revamp the entire Officials Association and bring in some young guys who are up and comers that aren't afraid to change this pathetic ref'd league.

The NHL should let the WCHA know that if you aren't going to clean it up we will just sign the 'young guns' before they even start college to keep them healthy and content.

The WCHA is a total goon league from top to bottom because of the ref's. It is the old NHL where you get away w/ highway robbery and the ref's officiate the scoreboard.

Better take hold of the superstars of this league soon because they will be looking east, or NHL (AHL) before wanting to get absolutely killed in the WCHA.

I'm not really in position to comment for other teams, but the Superstars at UND (Oshie, Parise, etc) have been absolutely abuses with the holding, slashing, and everything else with the blessing of Greg Sheppard apparently. Take last week, Oshie got slashed so bad you could hear it across the arena, no call.

I'm not really in position to comment for other teams, but the Superstars at UND (Oshie, Parise, etc) have been absolutely abuses with the holding, slashing, and everything else with the blessing of Greg Sheppard apparently. Take last week, Oshie got slashed so bad you could hear it across the arena, no call.

TJ's going to sign a pro contract just to heal up! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest federal employee

TJ's going to sign a pro contract just to heal up! :angry:

I have herd from an insider that shepturd will be fired by Doug McSwindle at the end of the year in attempt to save his own arse!

I have herd from an insider that shepturd will be fired by Doug McSwindle at the end of the year in attempt to save his own arse!

BullBLEEP.

McLeod and Shepherd are to the WCHA as Gene Taylor and Kevin McHale are to the NBA.

They're either both going to go or not at all... at least until proven otherwise.

McLeod better not make UND the scapegoat for the league's fighting and poor officiating problems. The fights that UND has been involved in are in part due to the terrible officiating (or lackthereof). The fighting is a symptom; frustration over the non-calls of all the little stuff-like the slash Oshie took this past weekend vs. Duluth. McLeod should look in the mirror-the buck stops here with the man in charge. It looks bad when the leader starts pointing the finger at everyone else below him.

BullBLEEP.

McLeod and Shepherd are to the WCHA as Gene Taylor and Kevin McHale are to the NBA.

They're either both going to go or not at all... at least until proven otherwise.

Who's Gene Taylor?

Either way, horrible comparison. A better one for McLeod/Shep would be David Stern/Stu Jackson.

BullBLEEP.

Will not happen McCloud will not fire Sheppard, it would bet a case of beer on it.

He might be referring to the one where another ref blew another call against the BADgers last weekend.

Or maybe he didn't mean literally today, and was just referring to the fact of all the technology available to us.

I didn't follow the above link, but I'm assuming it was the "inadvertent" or "I effed up again and blew the whistle way to early again" play. I don't know...those things happen. Luckily it didn't cost the Sioux a goal. At least it wasn't another reviewable goal that was effed up. OMG, am I defending D Shepherd?

I didn't follow the above link, but I'm assuming it was the "inadvertent" or "I effed up again and blew the whistle way to early again" play. I don't know...those things happen. Luckily it didn't cost the Sioux a goal. At least it wasn't another reviewable goal that was effed up. OMG, am I defending D Shepherd?

Your classic ref can't keep up the play, what ever loses site of the puck as it is going into the net and cost Wisconsin another point or two which might mean staying home or going on the road for the WCHA playoffs. Its the head of officials son so nothing will happen to Derrick.