SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher win.

flatspin7

Congrats to the Gophers keeping the National Championship in the WCHA. They really outplayed UNH.

Having said that...

Two in a row is not a Dynasty!!! You really need to win 3 to be a dynasty. 3 out of 4 could also apply but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. :)

Second of all if you want to talk crap keep it at POI and USCHO. The Gophers won and deserved to win, they were the best team, and we already no that. So lets keep it civil.

Great game U of M. Congrats

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you going to change your name? I guess its kind of outdated. :)

p.s. The only player on UNH that really deserved to win was Ayers. He played out of his mind for the first 45 minutes of the game but his help went away, and he obviously didnt get much on the other side of the puck.

Congrats to the Gophers...they deserved it. Vanek was outstanding in the 3rd, and Weber played the best I've ever seen them. Ayers stood on his head, but the UNH Defense chose to give up after Vanek's goal. Did anyone else see how pissed off he was at his bench near the end?? While I do feel real bad for the guy (In my opinion he was the best player on the ice), that was comedy. But I would have been pissed off too if I was playing my ass off keeping my team in the game and they were playing like it was all over.

This is not my worst nightmare. It's close, but not the worst. No. That will come next year, when the Gophs do a 3-peat. :)

I think this team impresses me more than last year's champions. They certainly had the golden touch down the stretch. Vanek is a man among boys out there. It was kinda heartwarming to see his Dad in the crowd cheering. Plus, it's tough to dislike a program that has kept Michigan from winning the title two years in a row! ;)

Congrats to the Gophers. What an impressive run!

taz

thanks for the congrats frmm the boys/girls that follow the Sioux. It was a heck of a nail biter till the go ahead goal! Now we get to be bored till next year....

As for the dynasty, yep 3 or more, but what I saw was the "start" of a dynasty poster....

The rioting was NUTS! Cars on fire and all sorts of stupid mayhem! :);)

WPoS

With only DeMarchi graduating (addition by subtraction?) I move that the rest of the WCHA be allowed to tag-team the Gophers next year. It will be hell for the rest of the league to have to face this team with another year of experience under its belt.

With only DeMarchi graduating (addition by subtraction?) I move that the rest of the WCHA be allowed to tag-team the Gophers next year. It will be hell for the rest of the league to have to face this team with another year of experience under its belt.

Huh? DeMarchie was no less than stellar the past two months and then stepped his play up even more during the NCAA's. He took one penalty (and it was a lame interfernce call) during the FF, scored the first goal in the final, and was named to the all tourney team. In short, even though he wasn't a captain, he was a captain the past three weeks.

dagies - thanks! :)

Congrats to the good Gopher fans and the program for an unbelievable accomplishment. The last two+ months were remarkable.

As for next year, I cannot believe everyone's giving them the free pass. They certainly didn't need any breaks last night, as they were a lot better than UNH. But they'll need them along the way to the three-peat, and I doubt they'll continue to have fortune smile on them to such a degree. The funny thing is, next year they just might be good enough to win even without any good breaks.

BC will be "scary good" as they lose basically nobody and bring in a great class. You can't tell me MN was any better than Michigan this year - they would probably split a ten-game series - and while Michigan loses a little more than MN, they also return a ton and bring in their usual stellar class. Last but not least, the Sioux will be right there as well. MN and UND were equals in January, and went in opposite directions from January 30 to the end of the year. UND has the ability to be there at the end if they're healthy and peaking at the right time.

To beat MN, I think you need to be solid all the way down the lineup, which powers like BC, Michigan and UND are. You also need to have tough defensemen who are big enough to put a body on Vanek and make the check stick. Michigan was small on defense this year; I don't know about next. BC has some big, good defensemen. UND has a lot of big tough defensemen, which may be why they were able to neutralze Vanek pretty well in January.

"sorry but you all deserve it" The funny thing is that some of the Gopher fans who had to suffer through all the stuff that happened between 1980 and 2001 do deserve this. That was a ton of bad karma that probably earned all the great luck and amazing runs they've had the last two years. I'm guessing that you're not one of the fans who suffered those trying times, as you probably weren't born when Broten dove to win the 1979 title.

As for the Gophers chances next year, don't count the eggs before they leave the next. After watching Vanek play in the 3rd period it dawned on me that this guy is ready for the pros. And trust me a bet a lot of the pro's were watching that game too.

Vanek came in... Kicked ass... and won a national championship. If a pro team drafts him (which is definite) and them offers him a bunch of $$$ who would expect him to stay? There are also some other Gophers that I would consider as "high risk" of leaving include the likes of Tallakson, Paul Martin, maybe Riddle, maybe Koalska. I would also say Potulny might be a flight risk but I brother is coming in next year and I don't see him leaving. I am not saying that all these players are goners, but I would not shock me at all to see two or three of them leave. If I were a Gopher fan I would consider myself blessed if you get Vanek back for a second year.

Great run Gophers, but lets keep the Championship in the WCHA next year too, just lets see the Green and White have it!!! I want to see the Sioux win next year (no crap) or Alaska Anchorage :) . I think UAA is due for the greatest turn arounds in the history of SPORTS!!! ;) 1 win to a national championship in a year you all want to see it!!!! Chris Fornier will put give UAA the edge it needs for NCAA supremacy!!!

Sorry about that... I felt the need to rip on somebody and since it would be really bad form to rip on the Gophers when they dont deserve it I decided to pick on the easist target I could think of. Sorry Seawolves.

Nice win for Minnesota. Have Ayers and the UNH found their jocks after Vanek did that move on them? That was one of the prettiest goals I've seen in a long time. ;) Ayers was the only reason the game wasn't a complete massacre. I wasn't overly impressed by UNH, little offensive momentum, but okay defense most of the time. Minnesota kept digging and working hard the entire game. Good for them, and congrats to their players and fans, except for the losers who tried to repeat last year's riot in Dinkytown. :)

Rioting at U of M

It is a shame that a great victory by a great team has to be marred by this BS. Everytime I see something like this on the news it confuses me. What about victory makes you want to go out side get drunk and set some KARE newvans on fire and push dumpsters throught the window of Starbucks. :) Bad Form

I understand that the idiots that did this are a vast minority of Gopher fans but it still pisses me off to know that these morons had to go out and do that. There is nothing wrong with going out and partying it up in the streets after a victory like that but there is no need to cross that line toward the criminal. ;)

The saddest part of all of this is that it seems to be a common thread with championships. I remember when OSU won the football championship there was rioting out there. Not by the team that lost and probably was at least a little justified by being pissed but by the team that won. Some Lakers fans in LA do it every time the Lakers win the Championship, sometimes I think it is a profession out there.

I am sure all the crap in U of M was only perpitrated by a couple hundred of U of M students but it unfortunately looks bad for the team and school as a whole.

Sorry to put a damper on the U of M fans but that sort of thing is really weak.

Nice win for Minnesota. Have Ayers and the UNH found their jocks after Vanek did that move on them? I wasn't overly impressed by UNH.

No I don't think that they have....

I agree that UNH wasn't that impressive, just goes to show you that the west is THAT much better than the East. The score could have easily been 9 or 10-1. The only player on UNH that deserved to win by the way he played was Ayers.

Rioting at U of M

It is a shame that a great victory by a great team has to be marred by this BS.

While I can't speak for what happened when the Sioux won the National Championship in 2000, I didn't hear of any rioting up in Grand Forks, and when we won the Football National Championship, all we did was drive up and down University honking and yelling in the back of my friend's truck (damn, that was cold). I know it was only a small minority of Gopher fans (I would like to know how many actually were hockey fans), so I will not group the posters on this board with them, or the majority of Gopher fans for that matter, but that lacks class.

This is not my worst nightmare. It's close, but not the worst. No. That will come next year, when the Gophs do a 3-peat. :)

I think this team impresses me more than last year's champions. They certainly had the golden touch down the stretch. Vanek is a man among boys out there. It was kinda heartwarming to see his Dad in the crowd cheering. Plus, it's tough to dislike a program that has kept Michigan from winning the title two years in a row! ;)

Congrats to the Gophers. What an impressive run!

taz

Anybody else see the tv footage of Vanek's dad after his goal? He gave him the "Heil Hitler" salute. I thought it was pretty funny, but with what people say about Ralph I don't know why we couldn't have signed this kid. :)

While I can't speak for what happened when the Sioux won the National Championship in 2000, I didn't hear of any rioting up in Grand Forks

UND isn't really built for rioting -- there isn't an on-campus/near-campus bar area like most large schools have. You really need all the students in one place and drunk to have a good riot. Plus it's way too cold to riot in Grand Forks in April (though my little Yahoo! weather map says G.F. is 82 today).

Anybody else see the tv footage of Vanek's dad after his goal?  He gave him the "Heil Hitler" salute.  I thought it was pretty funny, but with what people say about Ralph I don't know why we couldn't have signed this kid.  :)

That was a little interesting to say the least. I hope it was unintentional. :)

UND isn't really built for rioting -- there isn't an on-campus/near-campus bar area like most large schools have. You really need all the students in one place and drunk to have a good riot. Plus it's way too cold to riot in Grand Forks in April (though my little Yahoo! weather map says G.F. is 82 today).

Im sure if UND students really wanted to riot they could find somewhere to do it. Plus Booze makes you do odd things. And the weather in Grand Forks is INSANE today. The past week has been gorgeous in the Grand Cities. I think we deserve it though, when its been freggin cold for as long as it has been I think we deserve it. The real kicker is the the Mosquitoes have yet to spawn so you can actually go out side to enjoy the weather. ;)

Anybody else see the tv footage of Vanek's dad after his goal?  He gave him the "Heil Hitler" salute.  I thought it was pretty funny, but with what people say about Ralph I don't know why we couldn't have signed this kid.  ;)

I knew flatspin and I weren't the only ones to see that!!!

And Jim...my weather thingy on my computer says it's 79 up here (though being Grand Forks, North Dakota...it could be down to 30 or 40 tomorrow :) , regardless of what the forecast says).

Vanek's dad's hand gesture was no where near a Salute to hitler, I hope after all the crap I got for making an allusion to Ralph, FOR WHICH I AM STILL SORRY, you guys would be better. IMHO I think it was more of a gettign the hands in the air type thing...but why am I bi-oching I have a victory to celebrate!

As for the riots, we went down after the game to visit our haunts for a few brews and saw the carnage, cars tipped over lit on fire, gas tanks popping off, nasty stuff, idiots tossing bottles and rocks at firefighters, I wish the cops would have released the hounds and got out the Tazers on those punks! I know for one that the people who post here were not involved and that the majority of the trouble makers are the same ones who bi-och about cops being heavy handed...not many that I saw doing stuff were actuall hockey fans either IMO. Most real fans were just standing around watching a few idiots being criminal.

WCHA RULES!

I figured thats the way it was. With the riots and all.

Hey WPoS... Beerdarts rules! Maybe there should be a Sioux beerdarts team? Or are we not "Worthy" of beer dats. Screw that Sioux Gopher hockey game I want Sioux / Gopher Beerdarts.

Ps.. Are you the "inventor"?

Oh yeah... as for Vanek's Dad, Im sure that just looked bad, I was in no way implying that Vanek is the son of a Nazi. It obviously was just an excited parent. :)

Vanek's dad's hand gesture was no where near a Salute to hitler, I hope after all the crap I got for making an allusion to Ralph, FOR WHICH I AM STILL SORRY, you guys would be better. IMHO I think it was more of a gettign the hands in the air type thing...but why am I bi-oching I have a victory to celebrate!

Yeah, that's what I thought too when I saw it...but you have to admit, the resemblance (sp) was uncanny. I think he just forgot to raise the other arm right away, either way his son just scored the game winning goal in the National Championship, and I'm sure he was just celebrating like any other parent would.