SiouxSports.com Forum

Lacrosse at a "DI" UND?

The Sicatoka

It's too bad they can't play in the dome.

That works out nice for Minnesota.

After the new football stadium is built, isn't the UofM going to try to get a better on campus baseball stadium? It looks like most Minnesotans have decided that they don't want to support the metrodome anymore and I would think UM would have to start considering it's options for the future.

After the new football stadium is built, isn't the UofM going to try to get a better on campus baseball stadium? It looks like most Minnesotans have decided that they don't want to support the metrodome anymore and I would think UM would have to start considering it's options for the future.

They have been trying for a new baseball park on campus for several years. The coach thought he could get most of the funding a few years ago but the administration didn't want to spend any money on bricks and mortar at the time. They have also tried to work with the St. Paul Saints to share a stadium and that hasn't worked out. Whenever the Metrodome disappears the UMTC baseball program will be in trouble during the early part of the season unless the Twins get a stadium with a roof on it.

The Dome is really the only reason Minneasota can have any success.

They can have tournaments up there instead of having to be on the road for all of March and most of April.

As far as cutting baseball goes, I was going to say that the Big 10 probably wouldn't allow such a thing but when I checked it appears that Wisconsin doesn't have a baseball team (anymore?).

Baseball is one of only three team sports in the Big 10 where not all 11 schools have a team (men's soccer and field hockey being the other two).

So I guess it would be possible for MN to drop their baseball team.

But as long as they can use the Metrodome, they'll probably keep it. I would even say that MN should move into the dome permanately if a new Twins stadium is built and just tear down the U stadium for parking.

They should just get rid of baseball at the U of M. They've never been a national contender and the scholarship money isn't there. Exspecially if the Metrodome goes, it would be smart just not to have it.

Big Ten champs 2002, 2003, 2004. Yea, that's a crappy team that should be dumped.

They, along with the football team need to get their own on-campus stadiums. But I digress.

The point is this:

- Even with Metrodome Minnesota isn't considered a perennial national power.

- The powerful Big Ten Conference is an also-ran in DI college baseball (as evidenced by Minnesota winning the Big Ten and not getting a sniff of a National Championship).

If UND were to go DI, playing baseball (unless mandated by conference affiliation) would be sure red ink and a sure (badly) losing record.

Thus, why not look at sports that might better fit the UND demographic, may have better gate, and better chance for DI success: lacrosse.

Big Ten champs 2002, 2003, 2004. Yea, that's a crappy team that should be dumped.

They, along with the football team need to get their own on-campus stadiums. But I digress.

Big Ten baseball, what a glorious conference indeed. The top 3 teams out of the Missouri Valley could beat the Big Ten champ.

I solidly disagree that Minnesota needs a new on campus baseball stadium.

The only way possible would be if they could pair up with a minor league team and share the costs.

That way the stadium wouldn't sit empty taking up space for 49 out of 52 weeks a year.

Outdoor baseball in the upper midwest during 80% of the NCAA basebal season is just no good.

I wish it wasn't that way but it is.

The point is this:

- Even with Metrodome Minnesota isn't considered a perennial national power.

- The powerful Big Ten Conference is an also-ran in DI college baseball (as evidenced by Minnesota winning the Big Ten and not getting a sniff of a National Championship).

If UND were to go DI, playing baseball (unless mandated by conference affiliation) would be sure red ink and a sure (badly) losing record.

Thus, why not look at sports that might better fit the UND demographic, may have better gate, and better chance for DI success: lacrosse.

Thus lets not forget the Big Sky doesn't sponsor Baseball.

Talk about a perfect time to drop a sport (you'd have a good reason to tell people too :silly: )

I solidly disagree that Minnesota needs a new on campus baseball stadium.

The only way possible would be if they could pair up with a minor league team and share the costs.

That way the stadium wouldn't sit empty taking up space for 49 out of 52 weeks a year.

Outdoor baseball in the upper midwest during 80% of the NCAA basebal season is just no good.

I wish it wasn't that way but it is.

My point behind wanting an on-campus stadium for the Gophers is so that the team is more likely to stick around. If they push the team off to the Midway Stadium in St. Paul, then they're very, very close to just dumping the team all together.

Yes, outdoor baseball doesn't work in the NCAA season in the upper midwest. But I'd rather not see a team abandoned because Joel Maturi wanted to please the title XI crowd.

My point behind wanting an on-campus stadium for the Gophers is so that the team is more likely to stick around. If they push the team off to the Midway Stadium in St. Paul, then they're very, very close to just dumping the team all together.

I was thinking more along the lines of building the Saints a new stadium on the U campus.

Yes, outdoor baseball doesn't work in the NCAA season in the upper midwest. But I'd rather not see a team abandoned because Joel Maturi wanted to please the title XI crowd.

It wouldn't be just for title IX.

Go to this thread at USCHO and read posts 287-294 about DU's venture to NCAA post-season play.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=58072

Remember, Denver is a school that dropped a 100-year-old baseball program (because of weather concerns, sound familiar?).

Now, instead, they have springtime NCAA tournament games and excitement in mens lacrosse.

Not a bad trade I'd say.

DU's Lax site: http://denverpioneers.cstv.com/sports/m-la...acros-body.html

OK, so Lacrosse would make sense from several perspectives.

A few other questions:

1) What about conferences and scheduling?

2) Does the Big Sky ;) have lacrosse?

3) How would opponents feel about playing indoors? (Will quality opponents come to GF?)

Seems like we need a conference to make this work ... or, more accurately, it needs to fit the plans for conference affilation that anyone prudently planning for a D-1 move would make.

I note that DU's lax results show well over 2000 for big-name schools (Notre Dame, North Carolina), and less (1000-1200) for lesser names.

• 3 weeks later...

The Sicatoka is making more and more sense all the time. :) Heard on th radio today that the Minnesota State High School League voted to get rid of one sport and add another one. The MSHSL voted to discontinue Dance Line as a high school sport and to sanction Lacrosse. It might be the perfect time for UND to take a look at this sport. With this development, how long will it be before the UofM adds mens and womens lacrosse? The Sioux should establish their program before the Minnesota schools make the move.

The MSHSL voted to ... sanction Lacrosse.

Didn't I tell you it's coming.

The Sioux should establish their program before the Minnesota schools make the move.

I'd say yes, definitely.

The Sicatoka is making more and more sense all the time. ;)

Now that's just plain crazy-talk. :)

Down here, I see a lot of youth programs playing lacrosse. I don't think MSHL had much choice. The popularity is growing.

Other surprising thing down here is they even have floor hockey. I'm not sure if it's sanctioned or not, but they do have a big end of the year "state" tourney.

Saw a picture of the badminton state champs in the Strib today as well. I would've never guessed that one.

The Sicatoka is making more and more sense all the time. :) Heard on th radio today that the Minnesota State High School League voted to get rid of one sport and add another one. The MSHSL voted to discontinue Dance Line as a high school sport and to sanction Lacrosse. It might be the perfect time for UND to take a look at this sport. With this development, how long will it be before the UofM adds mens and womens lacrosse? The Sioux should establish their program before the Minnesota schools make the move.

Numerous schools have been adding women's lacrosse (UC-Davis, Oregon, Northwetern), but men's lacrosse is practically at a stand still. There are more DI women's teams then men's teams, even though more high schools offer men's lacrosse then women's. The following midwestern and western states have no DI schools sponsoring men's lacrosse, even though they have a high number of high schools sponsoring the sport:

Minnesota - 48 high schools sponsor boys lacrosse

Wisconsin 24

Illinois 41

Missouri 32

California 157

Oregon 33

Washington 31

Idaho 18

Utah 36

Texas 63

With Denver U and Air Force the only true western teams, and with Notre Dame and Butler being the western fringe of DI men's lacrosse, seems like the talent in the western states would be begging for a place to play. With such limited regional competition in recruiting, a men's lacrosse team at UND could conceiveably be very talented.