SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-12 Season

UND Fan

Wasn't pretty but it was a win. Huff, Mitchell, Schuler in double figures. Have not got any scoring from all the post players in recent games. This is a major concern as we play some stiff competition in the next month. Also, got out rebounded tonight by double digits.

Didn't follow the JC game, but winning by only 8 pts? Must have been a horrible game to watch. This team is either playing to the level of the opponent, or regressing.

I saw most of the game and followed about the last ten minutes on the game chat.

The Sioux would play well in spurts and then seem like they were lost. They would go away from what was working and just do their own thing.

Sioux need to hit free throws and learn how to put someone away.

Edit: Looking at the box score, it was mostly Huff not hitting the free throws, 8-16.

Schuler needs to shoot more.

Edited by GeauxSioux

Free throw shooting was terrible, especially the aforementioned 8-16 by Huff.

We still turn the ball over way too much, especially Jamall Webb. The dude was a turnover machine again tonight against an NAIA school.

Schuler is extremely slow but underrated on this team.

Aaron Anderson is our best player. He scores the most efficiently on the team, doesn't turn it over much, and doesn't take many bad shots.

I was at the game and rebounding was a major problem. Basically Jamestown played a zone that for much of the first half we couldn't get into at all so we could cycle it around the perimeter until someone jacks up a shot and then no one is down low to rebound. We weren't even getting the ball in deep and kicking it out. Zone D is a huge problem for this team. Webb seems to especially struggle against it.

I saw most of the game and followed about the last ten minutes on the game chat.

The Sioux would play well in spurts and then seem like they were lost. They would go away from what was working and just do their own thing.

Edit: Looking at the box score, it was mostly Huff not hitting the free throws, 8-16.

Agree Schuler needs to shoot more. Checked his stats for the last 3 games and he has only taken 11 shots total but has scored 38 points in those 3 games. Also, ball needs to be in only Andersons and Schulers hands at the end of a game when teams are fouling. These are the only guys consistantly knocking down free throws.

We still turn the ball over way too much, especially Jamall Webb. The dude was a turnover machine again tonight against an NAIA school.

Aaron Anderson is our best player. He scores the most efficiently on the team, doesn't turn it over much, and doesn't take many bad shots.

I was at the game and rebounding was a major problem. Basically Jamestown played a zone that for much of the first half we couldn't get into at all so we could cycle it around the perimeter until someone jacks up a shot and then no one is down low to rebound. We weren't even getting the ball in deep and kicking it out. Zone D is a huge problem for this team. Webb seems to especially struggle against it.

Agree Webb needs to cut down on the turnovers. He has way to many and most of his turnovers are just bad decisions. We hardly ever kick the ball out once it goes down deep. You watch good teams and the inside out game is the key, we dont do this much. Anderson has improved alot over last year in his shot selection and rarely forcing bad shots, but he has only scored 6 total points in the last 2 games. Coaches keep talking about taking good shots but I continue to see horrible shots taken by several players. We can get wide open shots with one more pass but yet we still force 6-10 shots a game. Season still young with alot of time to improve. Guess expectations after last year are so high this year.

Actually, Webb had 3 turnovers last night (boxscore). One of those he got fouled trying to score underneath but got no-call and ended up losing the ball. I don't know if that qualifies as a turnover machine...at least last night? I would say that you would have an argument with 6 each in the games versus Montana & W. Illinois. He had 0 against Bradley and at that point of the season was at a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio which is what you want from a point guard. Now not so much. If want to talk about turnovers the worst two of the game happened on successive plays when Archer turned in over just short of the half court line followed by Mitchell who dribbled into a double team and promply gave it up for an easy lay-up...that sequence changed the game. Jamal Webb is a good player and an important player...I believe he will be fine and will continue to learn and improve.

Anderson, after starting off on a tear, he's had in my mind, 2 very average to bad games. He needs to pick it up again. He's dribbling into bad spots or not getting anywhere on the dribble. I believe Anderson is still young and will have far more strong performances than weak ones.

I think we need to feed the post earlier. Often times the post will flash open- we will miss it then try force it in when they are being really harassed. Result: turnover or a forced tough shot. I just think we need to use our vision- if we get a post touch early, we don't have to score on it but we can get reversals and the defense to move. Which result in better scoring looks.

Hard for Schuler to shoot more when he doesn't get that many touches. Between Huff and Mitchell they took 28 of our 48 shots and that left only 20 for the other 8 players that were in the game. I'm sure this has been the case for most of our games. On the free throw side outside Huff we only missed 1 free throw. As mentioned earlier scoring in the post has been horrible. We really need a solid backup for Brekke and nobody has stepped up to the plate. We have alot of scholarships in this junior class and someone needs to prove they can play after 4 years in the program. ( 1 red-shirt year).

Hard for Schuler to shoot more when he doesn't get that many touches. Between Huff and Mitchell they took 28 of our 48 shots and that left only 20 for the other 8 players that were in the game. I'm sure this has been the case for most of our games. On the free throw side outside Huff we only missed 1 free throw. As mentioned earlier scoring in the post has been horrible. We really need a solid backup for Brekke and nobody has stepped up to the plate. We have alot of scholarships in this junior class and someone needs to prove they can play after 4 years in the program. ( 1 red-shirt year).

My opinion:

Schuler shoots the ball well and I am very glad we have him. The challenge is that he is not overly quick nor is his release quick. This makes it hard for him to get many shots off as the quickness (and size, at times) of DI guards means that someone is on him very quickly when he gets the ball.

The above comments can be said about a ton of college guards - some of them are very good players. So this isn't meant to be a knock on the young man - it is just the way it is.

Two observations:

1) Our offense does little to take advantage of his shooting talents. He gets an open shot once in a while due to rapid ball movement but I have not seen any plays designed to give him open shots.

2) Schuler needs to "want" the ball more often and "want" to get a shot off. Most of the time when he catches a pass, he is relatively stationery and someone can get on him very quickly. Part of that is the offense but true scorers (and he could be one) do a lot to "get themselves open" for a shot. I very seldom have seen that - he will take a shot when the opportunity presents itself but he doesn't create any (many) of those opportunities.

Bottom line - I like Schuler and think he can be a real asset to the team. I wish our offense would work to utilize his shooting talent more often and that his mindset would become a more aggressive in creating shots for himsellf.

Another shocking statistic from yesterday's game.... Brekke and Mitchell combined for 2 rebounds, none on the offensive board. It seemed as though when the Sioux shot the ball, there was no on under the basket wearing white.

Huff had 7 rebounds to along with his 23 points and Webb had 4.

To get out-rebounded 37-23 by an NAIA team is not good. I'm sure Coach Jones will be pounding that point home today.

The junior class has combined for just 32 points through six games. If Goodman could ever get and remain healthy, I think he could be a consistent offensive threat off the bench, but I just can't see anybody else from that class having that kind of ability. The fact that this class accounts for nearly 40% of the scholarships, and yet provides almost no scoring, is very disappointing.

The junior class has combined for just 32 points through six games. If Goodman could ever get and remain healthy, I think he could be a consistent offensive threat off the bench, but I just can't see anybody else from that class having that kind of ability. The fact that this class accounts for nearly 40% of the scholarships, and yet provides almost no scoring, is very disappointing.

Agree - I also have concerns about how much offense the current freshman class will provide in upcoming years.

I took it one step more. Not counting last nights game the 5 sophomores have scored 1793 points and have had 87 double digit scoring nights in just over one year. The 5 juniors have scored 735 points with 15 double digit scoring nights in just over 2 years. The current freshman class has really done nothing so far and I have the same concerns as UND fan posted above. Really believe with the small amount of playing time Gentry and Antwi are getting maybe they should have red-shirted, especially when Goodman comes back. Goodman and Allard are the only ones making an impact for us when healthy.

I took it one step more. Not counting last nights game the 5 sophomores have scored 1793 points and have had 87 double digit scoring nights in just over one year. The 5 juniors have scored 735 points with 15 double digit scoring nights in just over 2 years. The current freshman class has really done nothing so far and I have the same concerns as UND fan posted above. Really believe with the small amount of playing time Gentry and Antwi are getting maybe they should have red-shirted, especially when Goodman comes back. Goodman and Allard are the only ones making an impact for us when healthy.

Without looking, I'm guessing the vast majority of the 735 points scored occurred in the 2009-10 season, when playing time was far easier to get.

I asked the question in the Herald's live chat yesterday regarding why Gentry didn't red-shirt. Wayne Nelson said something to the effect that it's difficult in this day and age to get a kid to agree to red-shirt.

Without looking, I'm guessing the vast majority of the 735 points scored occurred in the 2009-10 season, when playing time was far easier to get.

I asked the question in the Herald's live chat yesterday regarding why Gentry didn't red-shirt. Wayne Nelson said something to the effect that it's difficult in this day and age to get a kid to agree to red-shirt.

If I remember correctly in an early interview with Jones he stated that Gentry and Benton would red shirt and that Antwi would play immediately. Maybe things changed for Gentry when Goodman got injured again right before season started not knowing if Goodman would be back. I'd have to think once Goodman comes back he will have a positive impact on our scoring and Gentry would be behind him.

You are correct . 495 of those points came their freshman year. Since this sophomore class arrived the current junior class has only scored 240 points between the 5 of them. Granted alot of injuries have followed them.

Getting out rebounded by double digits by an NAIA team is absolutely pathetic. It gets back to what I mentioned before about not being able to crack a zone and have any kind of an inside out game.

It is not THAT HARD to crack a zone when you have D1 athletes playing a NAIA team.

The rebounding was lacking because we couldn't get the ball in deep so we passed the ball around the perimeter until we either turned it over or jacked up a 3. If and when we missed they had 5 guys against our 1 fighting for the rebound. This is something that needs to get addressed and quickly because it will be an issue against any D1 opponent.

Also whoever was defending Webb look at his turnover numbers for season stats, it is atrocious for a PG.

Huff's shooting was bad. Sure he scores but he is a volume shooter. He shot 50%FG 20%3pt and 50%FT that is not good at all. The reason I say Anderson is our best player is because he scores most EFFICIENTLY and he doesn't turn the ball over.

Schuler so underrated but to anyone who has ever had the chance to watch him in person he is sooooooo sllllooooooww out there with his dribbling, and shot release. Makes it tough for him to get shots. I would rather have him score efficiently like he is now that try forcing shots when he likely isn't open.

The Freshies will be fine they don't get much playing time and are adjusting for HS game to D1 game. The only thing that bothers me is I'd like to see something more out of them in games like the Jamestown game where we are playing an NAIA school.

Getting out rebounded by double digits by an NAIA team is absolutely pathetic. It gets back to what I mentioned before about not being able to crack a zone and have any kind of an inside out game.

It is not THAT HARD to crack a zone when you have D1 athletes playing a NAIA team.

The rebounding was lacking because we couldn't get the ball in deep so we passed the ball around the perimeter until we either turned it over or jacked up a 3. If and when we missed they had 5 guys against our 1 fighting for the rebound. This is something that needs to get addressed and quickly because it will be an issue against any D1 opponent.

Also whoever was defending Webb look at his turnover numbers for season stats, it is atrocious for a PG.

Huff's shooting was bad. Sure he scores but he is a volume shooter. He shot 50%FG 20%3pt and 50%FT that is not good at all. The reason I say Anderson is our best player is because he scores most EFFICIENTLY and he doesn't turn the ball over.

Schuler so underrated but to anyone who has ever had the chance to watch him in person he is sooooooo sllllooooooww out there with his dribbling, and shot release. Makes it tough for him to get shots. I would rather have him score efficiently like he is now that try forcing shots when he likely isn't open.

The Freshies will be fine they don't get much playing time and are adjusting for HS game to D1 game. The only thing that bothers me is I'd like to see something more out of them in games like the Jamestown game where we are playing an NAIA school.

Cant recall Schuler ever taking a bad shot as you mentioned. He either takes a great shot or finds the open man for a shot. You over exagerate how slow he is. If he was that slow dribbling or shooting he would have alot of turnovers. He has hardly any turnovers and has the highest assist to turnover ratio of anyone for the past 2 years. He does need to be more aggressive with his penetration. Would like to know what Huff's shooting percentage is from outside 10' since most of his points are layups and dunks. His dunks are awesome by the way. Freshmen are going to have a hard time scoring or getting playing time with the class ahead of them. Those 5 sophomores are awful special class and UND is lucky to have them together. I'm sure by the time they are done will be one of the top classes UND has had.

Hey Bud-you bet I am going to defend Webb, as I explained, as you apparently are too dense to do some actual looking into his numbers, maybe that shouldn't surprise me. As I explained and I will again- his turnovers have only recently increased significantly because of the Montana & Western Illinois game. One game we won- the other we lost. I would say the game that we won (Montana) was largely due in part of his play despite his turnovers. Actually, he is averaging 3.3 turnovers a game-having 20 total through 6 games considering that PG's handle the ball the majority of the game- that is not an outrageous number and also, let's remember that he had back to back games of 6, which significantly raised his average. Since you claim that is such a horrible number for a point guard let's check another school- in this case, Kansas a team we play New Years Eve, Tyshawn Taylor is their point guard he has 22 through 6 games a 3.6 TO avg per game. Honestly, if your point guard turns it over 3 or less times per game- your doing quite well. We just need him to avoid having those 6 per game and we'll all be fine. I know he's capable of it. Let's also remember that he rebounds better than most point guards and every rebound over a 2 per game avg. is a plus in that column from that postition against the national avg.

My goodness it's awefully easy for you to be sooo critical, of this team- especially certain individuals. Do you even like them? Certainly, this team needs to get better, needs mature- but I think that criticism is way way off base.