6.SCSU

7.MSUM

8.UMD

9.MT

10.AA

Many different votes for POY and ROY

POY:Bachman(CC)

CO ROY:Gregoire(UND) Connolly(UMD)

Should be an interestin year. As we have seen in the past the McNaughton Cup winner rarely wins the National Championship. Hopefully the Sioux can get in the top three and finish the job this year. Goaltending is the big concern.

I think goaltending is the big concern for everybody for the simple reason that goals are so hard to come by in the league now. If your goalie lets in a soft one, your chances of winning are diminished. If the Sioux could put up 4 goals a game consistently, that would take a lot of pressure off our goalies, however that is easier said then done. The Sioux seem to have trouble scoring goals the first half of the year, then turn it around the second half. We might need them to score a few more early this year, until our goalies are a bit more comfortable with what to expect from league play.

I think goaltending is the big concern for everybody for the simple reason that goals are so hard to come by in the league now. If your goalie lets in a soft one, your chances of winning are diminished. If the Sioux could put up 4 goals a game consistently, that would take a lot of pressure off our goalies, however that is easier said then done. The Sioux seem to have trouble scoring goals the first half of the year, then turn it around the second half. We might need them to score a few more early this year, until our goalies are a bit more comfortable with what to expect from league play.

The league is suppose to crack down on the obstruction so goal scoring should be up. I don't believe that Goaltending will be a soft spot for the Sioux, I am thinking that B.E. can come in and make the same impact as Muse or Kangas.

The league is suppose to crack down on the obstruction so goal scoring should be up. I don't believe that Goaltending will be a soft spot for the Sioux, I am thinking that B.E. can come in and make the same impact as Muse or Kangas.

Mabey the first few games and then back to normal.

Mabey the first few games and then back to normal.

I am holding out faith that the clowns/morons that run the WCHA will finally get it right or face hordes of angry fans.

I also think the coaches will be on the WCHA leadership as well...

Haven't we heard this before? :(

I was curious about how well the coaches do, so compared their picks to the outcomes for the last 5 years.

If you want to wade into the stats a little: How good is the coaches' poll?

If not: They do a lot better than you would do just throwing darts, and a little better than if you just guessed each year's final standings would be the same as the previous year's.

Yeah, I hope you all enjoy the "crackdown" on obstruction. If they do start calling every little touch it's gonna be nothing but whistle after whistle, power play after power play. Yeah, that's real exicitng hockey. The battle of special teams. Paying $$ to watch the refs raise their arms every 90 seconds is my idea of entertainment.

Yeah, I hope you all enjoy the "crackdown" on obstruction. If they do start calling every little touch it's gonna be nothing but whistle after whistle, power play after power play. Yeah, that's real exicitng hockey. The battle of special teams. Paying $$ to watch the refs raise their arms every 90 seconds is my idea of entertainment.

Versus paying $$$ to watch the likes of Oshie, Toews and Parise get mugged night in and night out. The players will adjust. The last few years in the WCHA has been nothing short of embarassing as to the way the game has been officiated.

Stop with the melodramatics about muggings. It works both ways. So, you guys are sitting there thinking that UND is going to be the beneficiary of all the power plays? Riiight. The Sioux are going to be killing off as many as they receive.

Look at all of the complaining about WCHA officiating which occurs on this board most of which is justified. With the alleged crackdown on obstruction does anyone believe that the officating is going to get better? LOL! The same idiots who couldn't call a game before are now going to be given a mandate to manufacture calls. How is this going to improve the game? Don't to be too optimistic in thinking that the players will adapt. It's the refs you gotta worry about not the players.

The post lockout NHL is nearly unwatchable because of the officiating. The preseason games absolutely suck because it is nothing more than an endless pligrimmage to the penalty box all because the refs are manufacturing calls.

Stop with the melodramatics about muggings. It works both ways. So, you guys are sitting there thinking that UND is going to be the beneficiary of all the power plays? Riiight. The Sioux are going to be killing off as many as they receive.

Look at all of the complaining about WCHA officiating which occurs on this board most of which is justified. With the alleged crackdown on obstruction does anyone believe that the officating is going to get better? LOL! The same idiots who couldn't call a game before are now going to be given a mandate to manufacture calls. How is this going to improve the game? Don't to be too optimistic in thinking that the players will adapt. It's the refs you gotta worry about not the players.

The post lockout NHL is nearly unwatchable because of the officiating. The preseason games absolutely suck because it is nothing more than an endless pligrimmage to the penalty box all because the refs are manufacturing calls.

Not disagreeing with anything here, but personally I want to see the skilled players skate and I would like to see a more free flowing game which has not been the case for years in the WCHA. Anything will be better than what I've watched over the past few years. If you don't think you'll like the changes, don't watch--whether that be NHL or WCHA.

The post lockout NHL is nearly unwatchable because of the officiating.

I would have said the exact opposite -- I found pre-lockout NHL unwatchable because skill players were continuously and systematically obstructed. Immediately after the lockout we were able to see players skate, and pass, and shoot like they hadn't been able to in a decade. If someone made the mistake of obstructing, we then got to see that talent shine even more in a 5-4.

Watching a powerplay is more interesting hockey to me than: skate to the center line, get mugged, dump the puck, chase it hoping to regain control in the attack zone, have someone on the other team pick it up, repeat. Unfortunately, obstruction was creeping back in quite a bit as a defensive strategy in the last two seasons, and I felt like officials really started letting things go last season.

I see about 10x as many NHL games as college, and when I watch a WCHA game I find the current "let them play" mentality to make the game look amateurish and players less talented than they really are. I'd love to see the league follow through with its annual threat to crack down, and am confident the players and coaches would adjust.

To each his own, I guess.

INCH predicts that UND will finish 7th in a piece that is nothing short of laughable

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv...9/wcha_0701.htm

Since I had the spreadsheet lying around, I gave the INCH predictions the same treatment as the coaches poll. The verdict? INCH has been a more accurate predictor than the coaches poll 4 of the last 5 years. Just remember -- past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. :(

I would have said the exact opposite -- I found pre-lockout NHL unwatchable because skill players were continuously and systematically obstructed. Immediately after the lockout we were able to see players skate, and pass, and shoot like they hadn't been able to in a decade. If someone made the mistake of obstructing, we then got to see that talent shine even more in a 5-4.

I tend to agree. More talented NHL players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, Parise, etc. would not be able to play at the level they do now under the old rules. In the WCHA, I'd rather somebody blow a whistle because some flat-footed clod is hanging on a Duncan-type player than watching him drag around same clod who lacks the talent or will to keep up.

I tend to agree. More talented NHL players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, Parise, etc. would not be able to play at the level they do now under the old rules. In the WCHA, I'd rather somebody blow a whistle because some flat-footed clod is hanging on a Duncan-type player than watching him drag around same clod who lacks the talent or will to keep up.

1. Kane and Parise are NOT in the same category as Ovechkin and Crosby. Try to be somewhat objective here.

2. Skilled players have ALWAYS excelled and will excel in every era. Look at the amount of goal scoring in the 70's and 80's.

Please, stop it with your delusions that more penalty calls are going to solve everything.

Actually I would have loved to see UND's Zach Parise play under the NHL rules in college as well as Jonathan Toews.

I don't think wanting a cleaned up version of the NHL and college is Melodramtic.

1. Kane and Parise are NOT in the same category as Ovechkin and Crosby. Try to be somewhat objective here.

2. Skilled players have ALWAYS excelled and will excel in every era. Look at the amount of goal scoring in the 70's and 80's.

Please, stop it with your delusions that more penalty calls are going to solve everything.

Oh yes, that's right. We're in the presence of "Hockey Greatness" when NDFlyer's on the board. God forbid somebody express an honest opinion. Terribly sorry, your worship. :(

INCH predicts that UND will finish 7th in a piece that is nothing short of laughable

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv...9/wcha_0701.htm

I love the makeup of this team, and I stress the word team as we're not loaded with superstars, but a lot of quality players who can get the job done. I could care less where INCH thinks where we'll finish. I am looking forward to another trip to the FF and this year getting two wins that weekend and when it's all said and done Duncan will go down as one of the greatest players ever to wear the Fighting Sioux uniform and he'll have a ring to show off as well. Is it Sunday yet??? :(