SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

sprig

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why thats a smart move for attendance either, 2 teams that will bring plenty of fans on their own...

Would be quite an awesome matchup if both of us won and had to battle for a frozen four spot though.

if both teams get past 1st round of course :glare:

With the trouble caused by Wisconsin getting in and the whole potential Notre Dame tie debacle, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if the committee finds a way to "reevaluate" the teams and puts in Mankato and leaves out the Badgers. The under .500 record is certainly a wart on the system and I think the NCAA always likes to show they can be arbitrary. The current process has been perhaps too transparent. I don't think it will happen, but I'm beginning to think that it could.

Am I the only one that finds it funny there is a possibility of both UND and MN being sent to the Worcester regional hosted by Holy Cross? :glare: i think it'd be interesting to see if the HC fans cheer for us as we did for them...

By the numbers...

MI vs Air Force

MI State vs SCSU

Miami va Niagara

Clarkson vs Denver (the Dynamo)

UND vs Princeton

MN vs BC

UNH vs Notre Dame

WI vs CC

Of course WI and CC will be in different regionals, so what does the NCAA do?

I think they do one switch and that is Wisconsin and MI State

In Madison:

MI vs Air Force

WI vs SCSU

In Albany:

Miami vs Niagara

Clarkson vs Denver (Dynamo)

In Worcester:

UND vs Princeton

BC vs MN

In Colorado Springs

UNH vs Notre Dame

Michigan State vs CC

What about this change:

NCAA tourney bids determined by conference playoffs.

WCHA, CCHA, Hockey East and ECAC all get in if you finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the conference tournament.

Atlantic Hockey and College Hockey America each get the conference winner, then there are two at large bids determined by the selection committee.

The tourney is then set up with 1 west vs 8 east and 1 East vs 8 west.

so, you then break it down into East and West

In this year's tourney it would be:

WCHA: Denver, MN, UND

HE: BC, Vermont,

CCHA: MI, Miami, Northern MI

ECAC: Princeton, Harvard, Cornell

Atlantic Hockey: Air Force

College Hockey America: Niagara

At Large: Well, using either PWR or KRACH, it seems pretty obvious that CC belongs in and so does New Hampshire

What about this change:

WCHA, CCHA, Hockey East and ECAC all get in if you finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the conference tournament.

Atlantic Hockey and College Hockey America each get the conference winner, then there are two at large bids determined by the selection committee.

In this year's tourney it would be:

At Large: Well, using either PWR or KRACH, it seems pretty obvious that CC belongs in and so does New Hampshire

OK, there is being ridiculous and then there is being completely ridiculous. I hope you were not serious when you typed this. Either that or I hope you are on some kind of drugs or heavily intoxicated and that is what caused you to come up with this.

As it has been said before: "This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard. I'm more dumb for having heard it." Or something to that effect but you get my point.

What about this change:

In this year's tourney it would be:)

no thanks :glare:

I like putting more weight on the conference playoffs. The at large bids are there for the couple teams that might lay an egg at the conference tourney who had great regular seasons.

I am not a big router for the WCHA over the others, I could care less. I am always for the Sioux.

More dumb for having read it? Well, that is your opinion, but I, for one, look at the F5 as a pointless tourney. Every team at the F5 was already in the NCAAs. I am trying to be creative. You don't need to ridicule my attempt at thinking outside the box. What is your suggestion at improving the selection process?

WI getting in with a record under .500 and not even making the conference playoffs is more stupid, than any comment i made. Notre Dame being in position where it benefits them to score on themselves instead of tying...

Anyway, the NCAA will look at this wholistically, so I can't suggest that the WCHA and Hockey East get all of the spots, even though they are by far the strongest leagues, with the WCHA the strongest of all.

Anyway, I'm all ears for a better idea.

I like putting more weight on the conference playoffs. The at large bids are there for the couple teams that might lay an egg at the conference tourney who had great regular seasons.

I am not a big router for the WCHA over the others, I could care less. I am always for the Sioux.

More dumb for having read it? Well, that is your opinion, but I, for one, look at the F5 as a pointless tourney. Every team at the F5 was already in the NCAAs. I am trying to be creative. You don't need to ridicule my attempt at thinking outside the box. What is your suggestion at improving the selection process?

WI getting in with a record under .500 and not even making the conference playoffs is more stupid, than any comment i made. Notre Dame being in position where it benefits them to score on themselves instead of tying...

Anyway, the NCAA will look at this wholistically, so I can't suggest that the WCHA and Hockey East get all of the spots, even though they are by far the strongest leagues, with the WCHA the strongest of all.

Anyway, I'm all ears for a better idea.

Make the Final 5 the National Tourney? :glare:

It is still a Joke WI is in this and Kato is not. Those 2 losses vs UNO hurt Kato

In the past they used to throw out comparisons vs. meaningless teams (Northern Michigan) when comparing bubble teams. I'm guessing they will stick with straight PWR and that UW is in and well rested to make a run. Hopefully only a one game run.

Granted it sucks that Mankato is out, but you know what, if Mankato would have won last weekend they wouldn't have to let other teams determine their fate. Simple solution...........win the series against the Gophers and you are in. Lose the series to the Gophers and play the waiting game and pray other games that you aren't playing in turn in your favor. Or win a game against a lowly Omaha team and you are also in. Or have Wisconsin's dis-allowed goal against Denver count and we may not be having this discussion.

But when it comes down to the end, we all know the selection process and criteria going into the game (season) and we all live by it. Yes it sucks, but you know what, it is right there in black and white that tells us what we need to do to get into the tourney. If we don't do what we need to do and take care of our own business on the numerous occasions we had (i.e. beating the Gophers in the first round or winning one of two games against a weak Omaha team), then let the numbers fall where they may and quit the whining.

I agree with Wodon's prediction, except I would swap out Denver-Clarkson and BC-Minnesota for attendance purposes. Unfortunately, I feel the NCAA will favor attendance over bracket integrity and North Dakota will be in Colorado Springs instead of out east where they should be. Here are my picks:

Northeast Regional

Granted it sucks that Mankato is out, but you know what, if Mankato would have won last weekend they wouldn't have to let other teams determine their fate. Simple solution...........win the series against the Gophers and you are in. Lose the series to the Gophers and play the waiting game and pray other games that you aren't playing in turn in your favor. Or win a game against a lowly Omaha team and you are also in. Or have Wisconsin's dis-allowed goal against Denver count and we may not be having this discussion.

But when it comes down to the end, we all know the selection process and criteria going into the game (season) and we all live by it. Yes it sucks, but you know what, it is right there in black and white that tells us what we need to do to get into the tourney. If we don't do what we need to do and take care of our own business on the numerous occasions we had (i.e. beating the Gophers in the first round or winning one of two games against a weak Omaha team), then let the numbers fall where they may and quit the whining.

so if the seeding stay exact to form then thats fine, im cool with that but when you start messing with attendence stuff moving seeds here and there then it becomes a joke. with only 16 teams every team should just be placed exactly according to their seeding as with 6 wcha teams in we will have interconference match ups anyways with so many 2 and 3 seeds. just a strange year with all the outcomes.

I agree with Wodon's prediction, except I would swap out Denver-Clarkson and BC-Minnesota for attendance purposes. Unfortunately, I feel the NCAA will favor attendance over bracket integrity and North Dakota will be in Colorado Springs instead of out east where they should be. Here are my picks:

Northeast Regional — Worcester, Mass.

4. New Hampshire vs. 13. Notre Dame

7. Boston College vs. 11. Minnesota

East Regional — Albany, N.Y.

2. Miami vs. 15. Niagara

6. Denver vs. 10. Clarkson

Midwest Regional — Madison, Wis.

1. Michigan vs. 16. Air Force

8. St. Cloud State vs. 12. Wisconsin

West Regional — Colorado Springs, Colo.

3. North Dakota vs. 14. Princeton

5. Colorado College vs. 9. Michigan State

Question....how do you get BC #7 and Denver #6? Because Wooden said so in his prediction? Wooden has never been correct in any of his predictions for tourney selection time. Why would he start now? Also, the current pairwise says BC and Denver are tied for 6th with BC winning the comparison with Denver. So why do you and Wooden choose BC #7? Just because Wooden says so.

The easiest way to do the brackets and least amount of changes involves switching #11 MN and #12 Wisconsin based on the pure 16 team selection criteria where #1 plays #16, #2 plays #15, #3 plays #14, etc. Some teams are just going to different regions (Michigan out east and not to Madison) but the brackets, except for the switch of #11 and #12 all remain their bracket integrity. And this switch only has to be made because Wisconsin is hosting, otherwise everything else falls into place correctly. And as the committee has said before, bracket integrity is the #1 priority.

Wooden does a convoluted cluster-f--- of messing with seeds and pairings to come up with his "logical" conclusion of brackets. This is the same philosophy he has used in prior years when he never has once predicted the correct bracket. He "rationalizes" his pairings of a #8 vs. #12 and #5 vs. #9 where integrity would have it be #8 vs #9 and #12 vs #5.

Ok, here are my final predictions for brackets. I will not be back until tonight, as I'm at work and unable to watch the selection show until I get home. I don't want to ruin the surprise!

Albany

2 Miami v 15 Niagra

7 Denver v 10 Clarkson

Worcester

1 Mich v 16 Air Force

8 St. Cloud v 9 Mich State

Madison

3 UND v 14 Princeton

6 BC v 12 Wisconsin

Col. Springs

4 UNH v 13 Notre Dame

5 CC v 11 Minn

I don't know if Michigan is within driving distance of Madison according to NCAA rules and treated it as though it was not.

One of the Eastern regionals is going to take it in the pants for attendance w/o totally destroying the integrity of the bracket, in this case, both of them. :glare:

This would be a lot easier if Wisconsin would not have made the tourney, and, I still think there is a chance that the committee may leave them out, albeit a small one. ($$$>Integrity)

Ok, so after overlooking this. This bracket is the way I would do it if I were in the committee, but this is not going to be anywhere near what they do. :(