SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

sprig

Whoa whoa whoa, let's hit the brakes for a second. I didn't say they should try to lose, that's pretty obvious, so let's throw that out. Second, I didn't say it's a good thing to lose, I just suggested that it might not be a bad thing with reasons why not. If they are already completely focused, 100%, etc., etc...great. If not, well, what's the best way to get a team performing at its peak?

I think that just b/c we have an unbeaten streak this long doesn't necessarily mean we are playing our best hockey. We still take shifts off and for lengths of time look slower and less intense than the other team.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa whoa whoa, let's hit the brakes for a second. I didn't say they should try to lose, that's pretty obvious, so let's throw that out. Second, I didn't say it's a good thing to lose, I just suggested that it might not be a bad thing with reasons why not. If they are already completely focused, 100%, etc., etc...great. If not, well, what's the best way to get a team performing at its peak?

I think that just b/c we have an unbeaten streak this long doesn't necessarily mean we are playing our best hockey. We still take shifts off and for lengths of time look slower and less intense than the other team.

i know what you meant and said i knew what you meant in my post and my take is i dont think it matters if we lose or not down the stretch. if we do we do. big deal. law of averages say we will but if we dont then thats fine as well :blush:

every team is gona have spurts where they dont look great but the key is like sunday, the sioux didnt have many great scoring chances and the team still pulled off the win. i love the way this team is winning because they are doing it in a variety of different ways. thats great to see come tourney time

cant wait to see what happens down the stretch!!

Another thing to consider is that when Miami plays another TUC they will get the nod over us for the 4th Number 1 seed. Right now neither teams gets a point in the comparison because Miami has only played 9 TUCs. The next one they play win or lose gives them the comparison over us.

So we need to continue to win to get a Number 1 seed. We need to win 3 of our last 4 regualr season games, sweep the first round of the playoffs, and win at least one game at the Final Five. If we do that and CC does that we'll both be Number 1 seeds.

I agree with the observation about what the Sioux need to do, and I'd go a step further and say we'll probably need to sweep SCSU to win the comparison.

The comparison over Miami (since we didn't play head to head) has 3 points.

Currently:

Point 1 is for RPI. Sioux .589, Miami .579

2 is for TUC, currently 0-0 since Miami has only played 9 TUC's. And if VT disappears from TUC status, that point likely won't come into play. (They would play at most 2 games vs TUC's in the CCHA playoffs.) Even if VT stays a TUC, if Miami loses to a TUC (State, Michigan or Notre Dame), then UND wins the comparision provided we win 6 of 8 remaining.

3 is for COP, currently Miami leads 3-0 vs 2-1. (But if we sweep SCSU, and if they lose to Michigan State, it flips to UND.)

Looking forward to the end of the season, each of the 3 points in the comparison could swing either way.

While the Sioux best chance is to sweep St Cloud AND to win at least 6 of 8 (keeping our TUC over .65), IF Miami wins 1 TUC game and doesn't lose to any other TUC's, AND if they don't lose to Michigan State, they'll win the comparison with UND regardless of how well we do.

I'd really much rather be a #1 seed, assuring we don't get sent to CC and making it much less likely that we get sent to play Wisconsin in Wisconsin. Anything else would be easy. :blush:

I agree with the observation about what the Sioux need to do, and I'd go a step further and say we'll probably need to sweep SCSU to win the comparison.

Currently:

2 is for TUC, currently 0-0 since Miami has only played 9 TUC's. And if VT disappears from TUC status, that point likely won't come into play. (They would play at most 2 games vs TUC's in the CCHA playoffs.) Even if VT stays a TUC, if Miami loses to a TUC (State, Michigan or Notre Dame), then UND wins the comparision provided we win 6 of 8 remaining.

3 is for COP, currently Miami leads 3-0 vs 2-1. (But if we sweep SCSU, and if they lose to Michigan State, it flips to UND.)

Looking forward to the end of the season, each of the 3 points in the comparison could swing either way.

While the Sioux best chance is to sweep St Cloud AND to win at least 6 of 8 (keeping our TUC over .65), IF Miami wins 1 TUC game and doesn't lose to any other TUC's, AND if they don't lose to Michigan State, they'll win the comparison with UND regardless of how well we do.

I'd really much rather be a #1 seed, assuring we don't get sent to CC and making it much less likely that we get sent to play Wisconsin in Wisconsin. Anything else would be easy. :blush:

wow, those comparisons will come down to the wire

depending on what michigan can do without kolarik which is a huge loss for them the overall top seed is there to get if all things go right

Currently:

We could also flip CC if we keep winning and beat them at the F5. - It would be great to be/stay in the same seeding band as CC - that would keep us out of Colo Springs for the regional.

We probably won't be sent to Wisco as a 1 seed. The way they are playing, if they do get in it could be as a 4 seed. I couldn't see the NCAA having a 1 v 4 all-WCHA 1st round game. If they did, I say bring it on - the Badgers are slumping.

We could also flip CC if we keep winning and beat them at the F5. - It would be great to be/stay in the same seeding band as CC - that would keep us out of Colo Springs for the regional.

Agreed.

We would like to see the Sioux win the MacNaughton and get a #1 seed. The only problem with that is that CC would have to struggle for us to win the WCHA. That could potentially drop them to a #2 seed, which would probably mean that the Sioux would go there as a #1. I would much rather end up in WI having to face UW than CO to face CC.

Agreed.

We would like to see the Sioux win the MacNaughton and get a #1 seed. The only problem with that is that CC would have to struggle for us to win the WCHA. That could potentially drop them to a #2 seed, which would probably mean that the Sioux would go there as a #1. I would much rather end up in WI having to face UW than CO to face CC.

yup, go cc and go sioux then if we arent gona be able to ctach them. if we do then thats great as well and you deal with what happens. either way if both win out and face eacother in the final 5 title game then they both will have 1 seeds locked pretty much win or lose.

pairwise ABC's article from college hockey news

4. North Dakota

The only team North Dakota really has to worry about below it is Miami. If the Sioux play reasonably well, they will likely get a No. 1 seed. If they continue like gangbusters as they have been, there is no doubt, and they'll likely be in Albany. But if they play well and Miami plays better, and no other teams change, then Miami can flip-flop with the Sioux easily. Then North Dakota would be a No. 2 seed, probably against Miami in Albany anyway.

As I said before, I wouldn't be bothered to play Wisco at Madison the way they are playing now. Also, if we would drop 1 seed we get UMD instead. Then we could play the WI/Miami winner - bring it on.

At 14, WI is definately in danger of dropping out.

Three WCHA teams in one regional. :blush:

the wcha isnt going to get that many teams in the tourney when it all plays out as many of these teams will be playing eachother in playoffs and if a bubble team loses in the playoffs they are done anyways. so its just what they have to work with. we will end up with 5 im guessing.

i wouldnt get that upset at seeing 3 wcha teams in 1 bracket as when the season is done the wcha wont have 7 teams. i say 5 with a few bubble teams playing each other coming up and will also be playing first round of wcha playoffs and knocking each other out of the picture.

my frozen 4 picks bolded wanted to go with denver but just couldnt in the springs

Colorado Springs

Notre Dame vs. Colorado College

Clarkson vs. Denver

Madison

Wisconsin vs. North Dakota

Minn.-Duluth vs. Miami

Albany

Army vs. Michigan

Minnesota State vs. Boston College

Worcester

Bemidji State vs. New Hampshire

St. Cloud State vs. Michigan State

Conference Breakdown

WCHA - 7

CCHA - 4

HEA - 2

ECAC - 1

CHA - 1

AHA - 1

Having to face Bucky in Mad Town is a bad draw. Fortunately there is still some hockey left to play.

wherever we end up will be tough as we all know but going to cc or uw is the toughest if uw makes the tourney. theres a chance they dont make it. i think we end up with a 1 or 2 overall top seed and go out east and kick some butt!

i wouldnt get that upset at seeing 3 wcha teams in 1 bracket as when the season is done the wcha wont have 7 teams. i say 5 with a few bubble teams playing each other coming up and will also be playing first round of wcha playoffs and knocking each other out of the picture.

my frozen 4 picks bolded wanted to go with denver but just couldnt in the springs

Colorado Springs

Notre Dame vs. Colorado College

Clarkson vs. Denver

Madison

Wisconsin vs. North Dakota

Minn.-Duluth vs. Miami

Albany

Army vs. Michigan

Minnesota State vs. Boston College

Worcester

Bemidji State vs. New Hampshire

St. Cloud State vs. Michigan State

Conference Breakdown

WCHA - 7

CCHA - 4

HEA - 2

ECAC - 1

CHA - 1

AHA - 1

New Hampshire would come out of the Worcester bracket, but the other three are right on.

the wcha isnt going to get that many teams in the tourney when it all plays out as many of these teams will be playing eachother in playoffs and if a bubble team loses in the playoffs they are done anyways. so its just what they have to work with. we will end up with 5 im guessing.

And unless Clarkson wins the ECAC tourny, that would change the bubble to 13, currently dropping Wisco out of the tournament.

NCAA tourney is always hard. Number one for us has to be to stay a #1 seed. One has to assume that CC, NH and MI are all going to remain #1s, and all 3 are dangerous teams that I would prefer not having to deal with until the frozen four or not at all if someone pulls an upset. I'd love to see Michigan end up in Madison and have to deal with the Badgers. It would be fitting after all of those years getting the Yost advantage. It is also important to maintain that last line change throughout the regional as the "home" team (highest seed).

In the current USCHO bracket, I predict BC, DU, and UNH to make it....not sure about the other regional.

BC has the post-season experience.

DU has more scoring potential, I think, with a veteran goalie.

UNH is just all-around good.

CCHA has too weak of defense all-around except for MSU, and MSU can't beat UNH I don't think. Miami and Michigan have to be able to stop a good team from scoring, and after watching all the games they've played recently on CSTV and whatnot, I don't see any strong defensive presences...besides the Spartans. But, even the Spartans need work defensively and Lerg NEEDS to be on. Just don't see them beating UNH.

In the current USCHO bracket, I predict BC, DU, and UNH to make it....not sure about the other regional.

BC has the post-season experience.

DU has more scoring potential, I think, with a veteran goalie.

UNH is just all-around good.

CCHA has too weak of defense all-around except for MSU, and MSU can't beat UNH I don't think. Miami and Michigan have to be able to stop a good team from scoring, and after watching all the games they've played recently on CSTV and whatnot, I don't see any strong defensive presences...besides the Spartans. But, even the Spartans need work defensively and Lerg NEEDS to be on. Just don't see them beating UNH.

play solid defense, ride a hot goalie and anyone can win it who can put a few goals in. in phil we trust :whistling:

once the final 16 are set for the ncaa, it doesnt matter who you play, you have to be playing your best hockey to advance. whether we are a 1 or 2 seed, we will have to play two good teams to get to the frozen four, and then two more top teams to get #8. like az stated, we will need good goaltending (go jpl) and just play our game. i like the way this team looks right now! go sioux!!!