SiouxSports.com Forum

Okposo leaves the Gophers

Siouxpremacy

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was in the Oilers system until he was released in the summer of 2002, so I was right in saying he is not in the Edmonton system anymore, but at one time was.

And not to nitpick :glare: , but it was the Jackson Bandits who he played with, he now plays for the Mannheim Eagles in Germany....but thanks for pointing out your vastly superior hockey knowledge.

Hab-It: Officiating can't be as inconsistent as what we've got. And it is truly rare to find a head of officials more incompetant than ours.

As for UBC and UAlberta (both of whom I hear are fairly competitive and were names thrown into the NCAA argument) have major roster issues right now, if they were to jump to the NCAA. Under the current NCAA eligibility guidelines, only 4 of UBC's 26 players (15.4%) would be NCAA eligible and only 3 of 27 (11.1%) would be eligible out of UAlberta's current roster. All of the ineligibility is due to Major Junior play.

From what I read the Canadian colleges would have to play by the same rules as the American teams.

He was in the Oilers system until he was released in the summer of 2002, so I was right in saying he is not in the Edmonton system anymore, but at one time was.

And not to nitpick :glare: , but it was the Jackson Bandits who he played with, he now plays for the Mannheim Eagles in Germany....but thanks for pointing out your vastly superior hockey knowledge.

Believe it or not Hauser got into an NHL game in the 2005-2006 season letting in 6 goals on 24 shots. His only appearance was in relief.

Do you actually think it matters to a top talented player like toews or okposo which school they go to. Of course they will pick one of the top programs in the country. Toews would be in the NHL right now with or without UND. BOTTOM LINE!

OK, apparently you missed the point of my post because your comment had nothing to do with the point that I was making. Either that or you didn't do that well in English 101. The point, so you understand, is that Garth Snow's comments are not the first time that was mentioned about Lucia or the Gophers over the past couple years. The second point is that you don't hear those comments about UND when a player leaves for the NHL. The point was not about whether Toews would be in the NHL now if he didn't go to UND even though you may think it was. Hell, even if Toews went to Holy Cross, he'd be in the NHL now.

So take a moment, work your way through English 101, try to understand the original point I was making, and then come back at me again and see if you have a different understanding of what I was saying. I'm sorry, but that's all the help I can offer you. I can't teach ignorance. BOTTOM LINE!

Oh and by the way, to some players, it does matter what school they choose to go to that they feel will best help their development towards the NHL. So even what you said there was wrong too. I'm sorry I rained on your parade.

OK, apparently you missed the point of my post because your comment had nothing to do with the point that I was making. Either that or you didn't do that well in English 101. The point, so you understand, is that Garth Snow's comments are not the first time that was mentioned about Lucia or the Gophers over the past couple years. The second point is that you don't hear those comments about UND when a player leaves for the NHL. The point was not about whether Toews would be in the NHL now if he didn't go to UND even though you may think it was. Hell, even if Toews went to Holy Cross, he'd be in the NHL now.

So take a moment, work your way through English 101, try to understand the original point I was making, and then come back at me again and see if you have a different understanding of what I was saying. I'm sorry, but that's all the help I can offer you. I can't teach ignorance. BOTTOM LINE!

Oh and by the way, to some players, it does matter what school they choose to go to that they feel will best help their development towards the NHL. So even what you said there was wrong too. I'm sorry I rained on your parade.

I wasn't commenting on your original point about hearing those comments about lucia for the first time. I was just stating my opinion about UND being such a factory for developing NHL players. It doesn't matter to the top talented players. It does to the player who needs to stay for 4 years in college and then hopefully make the NHL. As for English 101, I don't think I need to worry about that. Try to simmer down please. It is o.k. to disagree on things on a message board is't it?

I took a break from sports media for the past few days and quite frankly thought it was a joke when I saw the forum topic about Okposo. Humor me while I add my two cents (I'm sure it's all been said above already).

I'm definitely shocked. High status players leave at the end of the year, but I don't recall one leaving in the middle of the year...not without some extremely obvious reason (such as a well-publicized discipline problem -- which is definitely not the case here).

I don't care what you think about the Gophers and Don Lucia. This is very bad for college hockey -- very, very bad! Regardless of Lucia's coaching ability, the GM for the Isles has done nothing to dissuade me from believing that he is an absolute idiot. He talks as though the Gophers are a part of an Isles farm system. Talk about arrogant.

Without players like Okposa sticking around, the intensity of the Sioux-Gopher rivalry starts to fade with time. And then, even our passion for following the Sioux starts to fade a bit.

I can only imagine how we would have felt last year if Jonathan Toews had left mid-season when things were going terrible for him and the team. You can say what you want about UND being a mill for the NHL, but at least (thus far!) nobody has left us mid-year.

Like I said, this is really, really bad for college hockey. I certainly don't like the Gophers, but it is because they've been such great rivals for so long.

Ironically, this may make it more difficult to beat the Gophers when we see them again later in the year. The players and the coaching staff will definitely have something to prove.

Now that I've added some perspective, let me just say that I really dislike Lucia (but in the way that one should always disdain an opposing rival's coach). :glare:

Now, back to the season. Go Sioux!!!

I thought the defense for Lucia in College Hockey News coming from former players was weak given the fact that the only players coming out are players that will never make it in the NHL. Harrington and the Potulnys? Please... I doubt we'll hear from NHL mainstay Gophers who would damage potential future contract opportunity with Snow.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2007/12/22_players.php

I doubt we'll hear anything on the topic from Johnson, Kessel or Vanek unless they reiterate Snow's assessment......

Hab-It: Officiating can't be as inconsistent as what we've got. And it is truly rare to find a head of officials more incompetant than ours.

As for UBC and UAlberta (both of whom I hear are fairly competitive and were names thrown into the NCAA argument) have major roster issues right now, if they were to jump to the NCAA. Under the current NCAA eligibility guidelines, only 4 of UBC's 26 players (15.4%) would be NCAA eligible and only 3 of 27 (11.1%) would be eligible out of UAlberta's current roster. All of the ineligibility is due to Major Junior play.

I think we are in agreement. Your stats likely prove my point that they are merely trying to make their product more marketable vice posturing for a move to the NCAA. The point of concern I was trying to make is that they are dramatically increasing their scholarships which could take away Canadian talent that is currently coming to the NCAA. The other schools in Canada will have to follow suit if they want to remain competitive and soon the level of play in the CIAU will start escalating to a level where it is also a bona fide feeder for the NHL as well. The added bonus for the players is that a couple of games of pro hockey doesn't end your eligibility to return and play for you school, the real threat to DI as I see it.

I thought the defense for Lucia in College Hockey News coming from former players was weak given the fact that the only players coming out are players that will never make it in the NHL. Harrington and the Potulnys? Please... I doubt we'll hear from NHL mainstay Gophers who would damage potential future contract opportunity with Snow.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2007/12/22_players.php

I doubt we'll hear anything on the topic from Johnson, Kessel or Vanek unless they reiterate Snow's assessment......

I guess three out of 50 players can't be wrong. :glare:

Just trying to be the devils advocate:

Is Lucia a Solid coach? Didn't he win a NCAA title with a lot of Woog's recruits. Oh of my buddies once said Recruiting for Minnesota isn't that hard and probably one of the easies places in the college hockey world to sell. The Gophers have FSN, the john and tradition, I would think it would be pretty easy to get the top recruits.

Ok, here is a thought, maybe it is tDon or is Okposo just a whiny malcontent? I am not trying to start a flame feast, I am bored and I thought I would bring it up because I have heard rumblings from time to time.

Valid points. However, Lucia did have a good record at CC and was a big factor in turning that program around. Until he wins an NC at UM with his own recruits, one could always question his ability as a coach. Again, although I am not a fan, I do think that he is a top notch college coach.

You would think that a programs ability to produce NHL calibur players would lead to National Championships. I don't think anyone can dispute that UND is a great place to prepare a player for the next level. That success has basically required the coaches to plan for a much quicker turnover of players. KO's decision may just be indicative that a lot of top notch players don't care as much about doing what is needed for the team to win (playing a different position, ect) as making sure they are advancing their pro career chances.

In today's game, it is extremely rare for players of the quality as Oshie, Chorney, Finley, and Duncan to come back for one reason - to win an NC. Let's hope they are rewarded for that level of commitment to the program and their teammates.

Players like the Potulny's and Harrington were the type that needed to be developed. When Harrington came to MN, nobody ever thought he could make an NHL farm team. I agree that you probably won't hear anything like that from Johnson, Kessel or Vanek because they are so good they didn't need any college team or coach to help them make the NHL. They had the talent to go to the NHL before they got to the MN.

Ironically, this may make it more difficult to beat the Gophers when we see them again later in the year. The players and the coaching staff will definitely have something to prove.

Not that it's worth arguing about but I don't see how losing your best player makes the team better.

Not that it's worth arguing about but I don't see how losing your best player makes the team better.

exactly, no matter how you spin it it doesnt. the whole rah rah for the coach may work for a week or 2 then the lack of depth will still bite you. they are down 2 of their 3 best players pretty much for the season with losing stoa and okposo with the tough part of their schedule comng up. and minus 3 more of their top players gone to the WJT for a couple series.

I took a break from sports media for the past few days and quite frankly thought it was a joke when I saw the forum topic about Okposo. Humor me while I add my two cents (I'm sure it's all been said above already).

I'm definitely shocked. High status players leave at the end of the year, but I don't recall one leaving in the middle of the year...not without some extremely obvious reason (such as a well-publicized discipline problem -- which is definitely not the case here).

I don't care what you think about the Gophers and Don Lucia. This is very bad for college hockey -- very, very bad! Regardless of Lucia's coaching ability, the GM for the Isles has done nothing to dissuade me from believing that he is an absolute idiot. He talks as though the Gophers are a part of an Isles farm system. Talk about arrogant.

Without players like Okposa sticking around, the intensity of the Sioux-Gopher rivalry starts to fade with time. And then, even our passion for following the Sioux starts to fade a bit.

I can only imagine how we would have felt last year if Jonathan Toews had left mid-season when things were going terrible for him and the team. You can say what you want about UND being a mill for the NHL, but at least (thus far!) nobody has left us mid-year.

Like I said, this is really, really bad for college hockey. I certainly don't like the Gophers, but it is because they've been such great rivals for so long.

Now that I've added some perspective, let me just say that I really dislike Lucia (but in the way that one should always disdain an opposing rival's coach). :glare:

Now, back to the season. Go Sioux!!!

Hold on, someone did leave is during the season, AG! I believe it dont matter what type of players you put on the ice for a Sioux/Gopher matchup as long as there still is a series between the two teams the rivalry will live on forever!

Hold on, someone did leave is during the season, AG! I believe it dont matter what type of players you put on the ice for a Sioux/Gopher matchup as long as there still is a series between the two teams the rivalry will live on forever!

you are right, the rivalry will never fade. not sure what that was about.........and yes grieco did leave but there is no comparison between grieco and okposo and i know you didnt make that comparison. nhl vs major juniors. kids who want more playing time leave every year from colleges to go the junior route. kids hardly ever get sign mid season to a nhl team like KO

On 2nd thought, maybe there is something to this development theory after all.

2004 NHL Entry Draft

5. Wheeler

13. Stafford

20. Zajac

24. Chucko

Summary:

While it is not true that Don Lucia is unable to develop players to move onto the NHL, it is probably true that Don and his staff really don't stack up compared to Dave Hakstol and his staff.

On 2nd thought, maybe there is something to this development theory after all.

2004 NHL Entry Draft

5. Wheeler

13. Stafford

20. Zajac

24. Chucko

Summary:

While it is not true that Don Lucia is unable to develop players to move onto the NHL, it is probably true that Don and his staff really don't stack up compared to Dave Hakstol and his staff.

or the coyotes scout convinced wayne that wheeler would be a nice suprise pick at #5 :glare: wheeler and tdon didnt have control on where wheeler was picked so that was just a fk up on the coyotes part. who knows on the chucko, that was another bad situation for donny. both programs have produced some very nice pros lately. i think toews will end up being the best from the pack. vanek is damn good and parise is right there as well. its fun looking back at drafts as there are always bad picks then always late picks that develop and make scouts look brilliant.

you are right, the rivalry will never fade. not sure what that was about.........and yes grieco did leave but there is no comparison between grieco and okposo and i know you didnt make that comparison. nhl vs major juniors. kids who want more playing time leave every year from colleges to go the junior route. kids hardly ever get sign mid season to a nhl team like KO

i know that you cant compare okposo and grieco but they both but each teams in a bind and even though we have a solid #1 goalie it still left the sioux with a sticky situation (nothing like what they have in mpls). the problem i have with this signing isnt with KO its more or less with Snow and his overall disrespect of college hockey because i have heard many times that a player develops a lot better in college hockey (mainly WCHA) better than in the AHL, idk thats just what i hear and i tend to believe too! it seems to me that Snow is starting to turn into the NHL's version of Isiah Thomas!

i know that you cant compare okposo and grieco but they both but each teams in a bind and even though we have a solid #1 goalie it still left the sioux with a sticky situation (nothing like what they have in mpls). the problem i have with this signing isnt with KO its more or less with Snow and his overall disrespect of college hockey because i have heard many times that a player develops a lot better in college hockey (mainly WCHA) better than in the AHL, idk thats just what i hear and i tend to believe too! it seems to me that Snow is starting to turn into the NHL's version of Isiah Thomas!

the AHL is a big step up from college hockey. im not saying what you heard is wrong but the AHL is half full of NHL caliber players and the other half will be career AHLers which isnt a bad thing. plus i would say 80% or maybe even higher of college players that go on to the pros end up playing in the AHL anyways for 1-2 years before getting your shot at the NHL. you can throw many sioux/gophers in this category from the last 6 years..probably a whole team worth... exceptions of course are toews, EJ, kessel ect....

snow is a idiot for saying what he said. hes a !@#!$ GM with a crappy team with some very crappy contracts, example - 15 year contract to their goalie :glare: resigning chris simon who is 1 more incident probably from getting the boot form the nhl. lucia made that 1 comment at first then im sure garth took it personal and made those comments with the help of KO the quitter.