SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers

Let'sGoHawks!

Gophers have a ton of highly skilled, highly drafted forwards. They have not been able to click this year. Look for lots of goals this weekend, as both teams like to play wide open hockey. Much like the Sioux, the young Gopher skilled forwards have had to deal with teams that like to clog the net and slow down the game. These two teams are more similar upfront than one might imagine. Edge goes to Sioux due to more experience on the point (despite playing 2 freshman D on regular shifts) and better performance so far this year by JPL.

One place we hurt this year over last is who we stack up against Okposo. Last year Toews was able to contain him; this year the responsibility will most likely be Captain Kaip's. Okposo is a challenge due primarily to his physical strength. Toews was good in that shut down role, because he was so strong on his skates and played fundamentally sound defensive hockey.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that UND sweeps minnesota has to come to the ralph and play on a smaller rink then there used to and UND's big bodies will hit them hard and often. Looking for two physical hockey games this weekend.

Sioux Sweep 4-2, 3-1(My first predictions of the season hope they turn out good:D )

jinx

I am surprised you come on this board ... seeing as what you think of us Sioux Fans when you are on another board.

Posted yesterday by FIRE HELMET GUY #26 on GPL: http://www.gopherpucklive.com/viewtopic.php?t=7297

"I don't know whats worse, dealing with the drive up to Grand Forks or dealing with !@#!$! Sioux fans. Keep your gas masks handy and your cars between the ditches!"

There are plenty of good Sioux fans out there, and there are plenty of !@#$%! Sioux fans as well......the same can be said about Gopher fans as well.

There are plenty of good Sioux fans out there, and there are plenty of !@#$%! Sioux fans as well......the same can be said about Gopher fans as well.

Nice comeback Fire Helmet Guy....easy to back pedal when caught in the act. Nice attempt at a cover up.

If Grand Forks is such a dump why do Gopher fans even bother coming up? Seriously?

The sacrifices we make for hockey are amazing, aren't they. :lol:

Honestly I like Grand Forks, it's one of my favorite roadtrips.....but the drive does suck.

Come on....I live in Mpls and make the drive all the time. If the roads are good it is not that bad....all interstate. Now if the Gophs get swept I can see how it would suck going back with a hangover to boot!! ha

Come on....I live in Mpls and make the drive all the time. If the roads are good it is not that bad....all interstate. Now if the Gophs get swept I can see how it would suck going back with a hangover to boot!! ha

Yeah, I suppose. Not much to look at. The Budweiser plant is one of the highlights of the drive. :lol: Sounds like they are calling for snow Thursday which is when we are planning on leaving, so that could make the drive a bit dicey. Any people on the board here go to the Hockey luncheon, sounds like our group may check it out.

Yeah, I suppose. Not much to look at. The Budweiser plant is one of the highlights of the drive. :lol: Sounds like they are calling for snow Thursday which is when we are planning on leaving, so that could make the drive a bit dicey. Any people on the board here go to the Hockey luncheon, sounds like our group may check it out.

You can kill the time by counting the cars in the ditch. :D

I always loved that one: "there's nothing to look at when I'm driving" HOW ABOUT LOOKING AT THE DAMN ROAD! I guess when I drive to the cities, I say: "Oh look dear, it is Maple Grove!" or, "Wow, check out the Best Buy headquarters". COME ON! Don't start with the GF bashing. To people in Cali or NY, MSP and North Dakota are interchangable. Just look at the movie "Fargo", most of it takes place in the MSP area, you are portrayed the same way we are here in Nodak. We are all seen as hicks with funny accents.

I always loved that one: "there's nothing to look at when I'm driving" HOW ABOUT LOOKING AT THE DAMN ROAD! I guess when I drive to the cities, I say: "Oh look dear, it is Maple Grove!" or, "Wow, check out the Best Buy headquarters". COME ON! Don't start with the GF bashing. To people in Cali or NY, MSP and North Dakota are interchangable. Just look at the movie "Fargo", most of it takes place in the MSP area, you are portrayed the same way we are here in Nodak. We are all seen as hicks with funny accents.

I hear this alot too... and I still haven't figured out how it makes their hockey team better or has anything to do with the game. It must somehow make them feel good about themselves even if they lose. I remember Dubay a couple years ago saying "well at least I dont live in GF" after the gophers lost here.

If you would have read my post you would have read that I LIKE Grand Forks, it's the drive TO Grand Forks that is a bit on the boring side. :D

I still wish I would have made it up there to catch a game at the Old Ralph,from what people told me that place really got crazy and loud. That building is still standing right, isn't it right across the street from the Park and ride to the new Ralph?