• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good job sioux

2 points

8 goals by 8 different players

FROM BRADS BLOG

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

First period

UND 1, Duluth 0 -- Matt Watkins (Taylor Chorney) 7:38. Watkins tipped Chorney's point shot past Stalock's stick.

UND 2, Duluth 0 -- Derrick LaPoint (Ryan Duncan) 8:16. Duncan led a rush up the left wing and fired a wrist shot from the circle. Stalock made the initial save, but LaPoint crashed the net and easily tapped in the rebound from the top of the crease. Looks like this Duncan-to-LaPoint combo has some chemistry.

UND 3, Duluth 0 -- Brad Miller 9:01. UND scores a bizarre goal without even touching the puck. Stalock went way out of the net to play the puck, but instead, defenseman Cascalenda played it and skated it to the slot where he collided with his partner, Ryan, and the puck slid behind them and in. Miller gets credited with the goal because he was the last to touch it dumping the puck in the zone. He was on the bench when his goal was scored.

UND 3, Duluth 1 -- Nick Kemp (Justin Fontaine, Travis Gawryletz) 19:57 (pp). Duluth grabs a power-play goal with 2.6 seconds left in the first period. Gawryletz fired a shot from the point and Lamoureux made the initial save. Fontaine's rebound attempt from the slot also was stopped but Kemp buried his chance at it.

Second period

UND 3, Duluth 2 -- Kyle Schmidt (Mike Montgomery, Josh Meyers) 2:26. LaPoint tried to pinch in to keep the puck in the zone and got caught. Schmidt took the puck at his own blue line and skated in the zone on a 2-on-1. Schmidt took the shot himself and beat Lamoureux high to the stick side.

UND 3, Duluth 3 -- Michael Gergen (Jason Garrison, Nick Kemp) 4:52. Duluth held the puck in the zone for a long time and got a number of shots off. The Bulldogs scored when Gergen knocked Garrison's point shot out of the air and between Lamoureux's legs.

UND 4, Duluth 3 -- Evan Trupp (Robbie Bina, Matt Frattin) 9:41. Trupp makes a great play along the left boards to fight off a couple of checks and skate in on Stalock. The goaltender stopped Trupp's effort, but seconds after that, he got the puck back and scored on a backhand wrap around.

Third period

UND 5, Duluth 3 -- Chris VandeVelde (Ryan Duncan, Taylor Chorney) 3:46. Duncan and VandeVelde worked the puck out of the corner. VandeVelde skated it to the right circle and the Duluth defensemen collapsed around Oshie, who was cutting down the slot. VandeVelde took the shot himself and buried it.

UND 6, Duluth 3 -- Matt Frattin (Joe Finley, Robbie Bina) 11:44. Finley passed the puck along the right side boards to Frattin, who fought off a check and came down the right wing on a breakaway. Frattin faked a shot, moved it to his backhand and scored. Stalock was pulled for Red River's Nate Ziegelmann after the goal.

UND 7, Duluth 3 -- T.J. Oshie (Chris VandeVelde) 13:37. VandeVelde makes a great no-look pass from the corner to Oshie, who was alone on the left side of the crease. Oshie moved the puck to his backhand and beat Ziegelmann high on the short side.

UND 8, Duluth 3 -- Rylan Kaip (Matt Watkins, Brad Miller) 16:08. Watkins makes a good feed from the corner to Kaip, who is cutting down the slot. Kaip one-times it past Ziegelmann on the far side.

I was thinking about this at the end of the 2nd when it appeared, by reading this thread, that the Sioux weren't really playing their game. Haven't we heard coaches say that sometimes it takes a couple of periods for a team to get back in the groove after a week off? Of course, it's a lot easier to recall that now, than it was 20 game minutes ago.

Also what was with the decision of throwing in Ziegelmann? I mean that was basically throwing him into a pool of sharks. He got shell shocked and the defense wasn't helping him a bit.

probably more of a message to stallock and the team, ziggy got oshied!!!!

Hak's comments:

Real ugly game for us.

We were poor in the first 2 periods. Couldn't get our legs under us. Fortunate to get out to a 3 goal lead, and probably deservedly gave it away.

Liked that in the 3rd period we didn't give up much. We were the better team in the 3rd.

Not ready to buy that we showed rust because of the layoff (was he reading my post?) in the first 2 periods. We should be physically ready to play every game.

Didn't have a lot of jump or energy in our legs. Got a little comfortable in ALL phases of our game from Phil on out in the first 2 periods. Real critical we understand what type of game this was considering it was an 8-3 win.

Genoway went out early in the 2nd period. Have had an initial eval but don't know how serious it is. Doubtful for tomorrow. Will get a good eval tonite.

Thought Trupp was good, effective through the whole game. He scored a puckhound type of goal.

Hak was right - it was an ugly game - However, I felt the Sioux showed a lot of character in the third. They came out, took charge, and put the puck in the net. It's hard to believe it was the same team as in the second period. It looked like everyone did their part - no standing around waiting for someone else to do it. Great effort by Trupp for his first goal - the main negative - We had the three ugliest power plays I have seen in a long time in the second. Hopefully, they'll be more in sync all game tomorrow. This team has the potential to score in bunches.

good job sioux

2 points

8 goals by 8 different players

FROM BRADS BLOG

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

First period

UND 1, Duluth 0 -- Matt Watkins (Taylor Chorney) 7:38. Watkins tipped Chorney's point shot past Stalock's stick.

UND 2, Duluth 0 -- Derrick LaPoint (Ryan Duncan) 8:16. Duncan led a rush up the left wing and fired a wrist shot from the circle. Stalock made the initial save, but LaPoint crashed the net and easily tapped in the rebound from the top of the crease. Looks like this Duncan-to-LaPoint combo has some chemistry.

UND 3, Duluth 0 -- Brad Miller 9:01. UND scores a bizarre goal without even touching the puck. Stalock went way out of the net to play the puck, but instead, defenseman Cascalenda played it and skated it to the slot where he collided with his partner, Ryan, and the puck slid behind them and in. Miller gets credited with the goal because he was the last to touch it dumping the puck in the zone. He was on the bench when his goal was scored.

UND 3, Duluth 1 -- Nick Kemp (Justin Fontaine, Travis Gawryletz) 19:57 (pp). Duluth grabs a power-play goal with 2.6 seconds left in the first period. Gawryletz fired a shot from the point and Lamoureux made the initial save. Fontaine's rebound attempt from the slot also was stopped but Kemp buried his chance at it.

Second period

UND 3, Duluth 2 -- Kyle Schmidt (Mike Montgomery, Josh Meyers) 2:26. LaPoint tried to pinch in to keep the puck in the zone and got caught. Schmidt took the puck at his own blue line and skated in the zone on a 2-on-1. Schmidt took the shot himself and beat Lamoureux high to the stick side.

UND 3, Duluth 3 -- Michael Gergen (Jason Garrison, Nick Kemp) 4:52. Duluth held the puck in the zone for a long time and got a number of shots off. The Bulldogs scored when Gergen knocked Garrison's point shot out of the air and between Lamoureux's legs.

UND 4, Duluth 3 -- Evan Trupp (Robbie Bina, Matt Frattin) 9:41. Trupp makes a great play along the left boards to fight off a couple of checks and skate in on Stalock. The goaltender stopped Trupp's effort, but seconds after that, he got the puck back and scored on a backhand wrap around.

Third period

UND 5, Duluth 3 -- Chris VandeVelde (Ryan Duncan, Taylor Chorney) 3:46. Duncan and VandeVelde worked the puck out of the corner. VandeVelde skated it to the right circle and the Duluth defensemen collapsed around Oshie, who was cutting down the slot. VandeVelde took the shot himself and buried it.

UND 6, Duluth 3 -- Matt Frattin (Joe Finley, Robbie Bina) 11:44. Finley passed the puck along the right side boards to Frattin, who fought off a check and came down the right wing on a breakaway. Frattin faked a shot, moved it to his backhand and scored. Stalock was pulled for Red River's Nate Ziegelmann after the goal.

UND 7, Duluth 3 -- T.J. Oshie (Chris VandeVelde) 13:37. VandeVelde makes a great no-look pass from the corner to Oshie, who was alone on the left side of the crease. Oshie moved the puck to his backhand and beat Ziegelmann high on the short side.

UND 8, Duluth 3 -- Rylan Kaip (Matt Watkins, Brad Miller) 16:08. Watkins makes a good feed from the corner to Kaip, who is cutting down the slot. Kaip one-times it past Ziegelmann on the far side.

uscho has oshie with a assist on that 2nd goal by lapoint, so osh finished with a goal and a assist if that holds up

Did TH just say that Genoway hasn't been on the ice for a while? I hope it's not a serious injury.

I saw him leave the ice.... wasn't putting ANY weight on his left leg... I didn't think it looked good. He could barely make it to the bench and had to be assisted to the locker room by the training staff :lol:

Yeah Sioux Habit, Frattin sucks, eh? :lol:

I believe someone said that earlier this year!

Nate coming in to play goal for the Bulldogs.

I am used to it by now. People laughed at me when I said Toews would be better than Kessel and this year many dumped on me when I said Frattin was the most complete forward of this years Sioux freshman crop. But he who has the last laugh. :D

I have to add that I never would have expected UMD to surrender 8 goals in a game, even against the Sioux.