SiouxSports.com Forum

FIGHTING SIOUX vs. umd bulldogs

aleah

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing...is it time to get Finley off of the Second PP unit. Better question- is anytime a good time to have Joe Finley on any PP unit?? I'd love to hear justification for him bein out there.

Are you joking?

If someone had been counting Finley probable has close to 40 clears on the PK, most on the team, IMO he is definately one of the best if not the best on the team. Count tonight!

Finley and Chorney have both shown the most development here, and to me it is too close to choose our teams best defensemen.

EDIT: I misread your post I thought you wrote PK and not PP

Are you joking?

If someone had been counting Finley probable has close to 40 clears on the PK, most on the team, IMO he is definately one of the best if not the best on the team. Count tonight!

Finley and Chorney have both shown the most development here, and to me it is too close to choose our teams best defensemen.

EDIT: I misread your post I thought you wrote PK and not PP

Are you kidding Finley as one of are best D... by far it Chorney seriously all Finley is..is just a huge orange cone he is one of the slowest defense men i have ever seen alright...Chorney is by far the best defense men on the team end of story....

One more thing...is it time to get Finley off of the Second PP unit. Better question- is anytime a good time to have Joe Finley on any PP unit?? I'd love to hear justification for him bein out there.

After watching our 3 power plays in the second period it looked like nobody belonged. I believe that Duluth got as many shots on our goal during the power plays as we did on theirs. They looked so bad, it was hard to isolate any one player. I'm not trying to bash the Sioux - I thought they showed a lot in the third period - just making an observation.

I don't think Hak has to justify his coaching decisions to anyone. There is a reason Finley is on the ice.

After watching our 3 power plays in the second period it looked like nobody belonged. I believe that Duluth got as many shots on our goal during the power plays as we did on theirs. They looked so bad, it was hard to isolate any one player. I'm not trying to bash the Sioux - I thought they showed a lot in the third period - just making an observation.

Your obsevation was right.I was at the game and my peewee teams powerplay looked better.But hey that is going to happen from time to time so I'm not really to concerned about it.

I didn't see what happened to Genoway, I just saw him trying to get back to the bench from the blue line.... I thought it was down by the UMD bench, which would have been our defensive blue line if it was actually the second period. There must have a been a faceoff in our defensive zone because everyone else was in between him and Jean-Philippe. He had a VERY hard time making it to the bench because he wasn't putting any weight on his left leg. He remained on the ground behind the bench (where Walski normally stands) for maybe two minutes with the trainer hovering over him, and then the training had to help him back to the tunnel. For anyone that has been down in the tunnel... I know that the locker room is on the left (when looking from the student section) and I'm not sure what is on the right, but they took Chay to the right. I didn't think that it looked good at all... too bad we just had our bye week....

Right, he was near the opponents penalty box when I first noticed him. There was one Duluth defenseboy somewhat near him.

The training room is basically between the two main locker rooms. You'd expect them to take him in there no matter what the severity of the injury was. However as you say it did not look good.

I don't think Hak has to justify his coaching decisions to anyone. There is a reason Finley is on the ice.

Undoubtedly you are correct, and I think he is a very good defenseman. But for the sake of discussion what are his strengths.

He isn't going to be a big hitter at this level. With his height he can't really hit a guy without drawing a penalty. However he's good at tying up people, skates very good for a big man, has pretty good skating and puck handling skills for a man of his size. With his long reach he can really pick the forwards pockets.

He's led the team in plus/minus before and they said he was a +4 last night.

Yeah he can be on my team.

Is it time to split up Oshie and Duncan? I think Hak should just to see what happens. Both have produce a fair amount of points, but virtually none have come from great puck movement with pass after pass like last year. The opposing defense heads aren't spinning like they used to and maybe a change of pace would be good.

How bout:

Vande-Oshie-Kozek (Oshie can do it all, Kozek's a shooter, and vande's a passer...all are great defensively)

Kaip-Duncan-Frattin (hard workers with good mix of passing and shooting)

Trupp-Miller-Malone (good mix of speed and size)

Zajac-Watkins-Forney (let's see what forney can continue to do)

I think that would be a pretty dynamic lineup.

Is it time to split up Oshie and Duncan? I think Hak should just to see what happens. Both have produce a fair amount of points, but virtually none have come from great puck movement with pass after pass like last year. The opposing defense heads aren't spinning like they used to and maybe a change of pace would be good.

How bout:

Vande-Oshie-Kozek (Oshie can do it all, Kozek's a shooter, and vande's a passer...all are great defensively)

That line up would look good to me but have Kaip center Duncan and Frattin.

How bout:

why split them up? no reason really. all 3 on that line last night had 2 points each. there wont ever be a line like last years so throw that out the window all together, there isnt another toews on this team to fill in as the third but i like what we have in vande. plus we won the game 8-3. you dont change a thing when you win. the 1st and 2nd PP units werent good last night but thats the first time in a while. that happens. i bet they connect tonight!!

no need for any changes right now

the 1st and 2nd PP units werent good last night but thats the first time in a while. that happens. i bet they connect tonight!!

I thought throwing Trupp up there on the power play with Oshie and Duncan was a pretty interesting move. I think that if Hak sticks with it it'll work out after a bit.

why split them up? no reason really. all 3 on that line last night had 2 points each. there wont ever be a line like last years so throw that out the window all together, there isnt another toews on this team to fill in as the third but i like what we have in vande. plus we won the game 8-3. you dont change a thing when you win. the 1st and 2nd PP units werent good last night but thats the first time in a while. that happens. i bet they connect tonight!!

no need for any changes right now

Like I said, as a line, they haven't clicked as a unit. Most of their points have come from each of them creating individually. If Duncan can bring something to another line, and then our first line not missing a beat by putting Kozek there, why wouldn't you want to take advantage of it. I'm not expecting something like last year at all, I'm just saying the puck movement is less than ideal for a line that's supposed to still be one of the best in the country. (See threads that said Duncan--Oshie--Whoever-You-Put-Here would be best in the country).

Anyone disagree with splitting Duncan and Oshie as an experiment after watching that game? They're just not clicking.

if you are expecting a line like we had with toews its just not gona happen. i do agree that they dont click sme games but they do in some games. tey didnt start playing every game together and we are only 11 games into the season. it doesnt mean hak wont split them up but if he doesnt then i would trust our coach over all of us :D

Like I said, as a line, they haven't clicked as a unit. Most of their points have come from each of them creating individually. If Duncan can bring something to another line, and then our first line not missing a beat by putting Kozek there, why wouldn't you want to take advantage of it. I'm not expecting something like last year at all, I'm just saying the puck movement is less than ideal for a line that's supposed to still be one of the best in the country. (See threads that said Duncan--Oshie--Whoever-You-Put-Here would be best in the country).

and i will trust if hak wants them together or not. if he feels he needs a mix up then he will do it for sure, until then we will wait and see