SiouxSports.com Forum

If we only had....

Gopherguy33

I am not tyring to bash Towes or anything he is an outstanding player, but i honestly think that he is overrated! People were so mad and saying stuff like "We are going to suck this year whithout Towes." I think that we are doing fine whthout him.

Sorry but any other former Sioux player under the age of 20 didn't and doesn't even come close; however, I will concede that this team may be missing some of the fire your favorite player brought to each and every game.

Don't agree that Toews is overrated. He's stepped up to the NHL level and is playing as well, if not better at that level than he did in college. What a difference a player can be if players can't mug you!

As far as who I'd bring back, I agree with PCM that it has to be a playmaker. Not going to go with Hrkac or Panzer, but rather Greg Johnson. Tends to get lost in the shuffle due to not being on a championship team, but consistently put up high numbers in a time when Sioux hockey wasn't at it's elite level.

As far as who I'd bring back, I agree with PCM that it has to be a playmaker. Not going to go with Hrkac or Panzer, but rather Greg Johnson. Tends to get lost in the shuffle due to not being on a championship team, but consistently put up high numbers in a time when Sioux hockey wasn't at it's elite level.

How dare you disagree with my selections! :silly:

Bow down to my post count! :lol:

I am not tyring to bash Towes or anything he is an outstanding player, but i honestly think that he is overrated! People were so mad and saying stuff like "We are going to suck this year whithout Towes." I think that we are doing fine whthout him.

there isnt a fan out there who though we would suck without toews. of course we will are missing a great player whos not having any problems in the show as we speak :silly: overrated huh

:lol:

In the 80's yes, but not today. The game, equipment ect are all different.

The level of conditioning that coaches demand of their players makes a huge difference. Where Hrkac was probably the greatest in the 80's, I have friends in GF who informed me that they used to drink with him on a near daily basis. The level of commitment to the program, in regards to off ice training, has changed so much since the 80's, and players from that generation admit to that. I'm not saying players back in the 80's and prior to that time weren't as committed to the program; they simply didn't have to put in the same amount of time that today's players do, so to make a accurate comparison is pretty much impossible to do.

And PCM, your post count doesn't scare me!!! :silly:

If you look at how many goals Russ scored their aren't too many player who put up "36 and 40" in his Soph and Jr. years,but don't let facts slow you down.(by the way I really like Goren and Bochenski)

Cmon' now. Me and you could have scored that many against goalies back in those days. You give the puck to Bochenski anywhere near the opponents zone...yes the opponents zone...and he would shoot and quite often score. Not to mention he put 17 g-notes up his freshman year with NO ONE at all to play with. Throw Parise on his line Soph. year and BOOM 35 goals. The guy could just flat out score...couldn't skate...but god could he score.

More insightful hockey knowledge from Prpichrocks...TOEWS was overrated. Yea and your boy Mike had talent. I'm sure.

As I started reading this thread, I was thinking either Toews, GOD, or Greg Johnson. All three of these guys were great team players and consumate set-up guys. They played strong defense, they were intelligent, and they were leaders. They were not the best snipers the Sioux have had (Bochenski, Dixon Ward, et al.), but they made the offense go. Since Sioux fans have lacked only the Championship in recent years, the leadership quality is big, next to goaltending. Karl or the Eagle might be next, but I think Lammy has the defensive support and the focus to get the Sioux to the promised land if they can score a few goals.

Those that doubt Hrkac's ability didn't see him play. As far as drinking and dedication, get real. You apparently haven't lived with and been friends with college hockey players. Shockingly, some good times are still had.

To compare Pprich to any of the debatable choices here is laughable and to say Toews is overrated is insane and would not be said by anyone with any knowledge of hockey. He is arguable the most decorated player to ever don Kelly green and a team leader in the NHL as a rookie. Prpich, as much as I enjoyed him, isn't near an AHL team.

For the college game I'd go with Hrkac with Toews in second. My next group would be Patrick/Ward/Bo/C.Murphy/Parise. I'm comfortable with the goaltending so I wouldn't go that route.

Those that doubt Hrkac's ability didn't see him play. As far as drinking and dedication, get real. You apparently haven't lived with and been friends with college hockey players. Shockingly, some good times are still had.

To compare Pprich to any of the debatable choices here is laughable and to say Toews is overrated is insane and would not be said by anyone with any knowledge of hockey. He is arguable the most decorated player to ever don Kelly green and a team leader in the NHL as a rookie. Prpich, as much as I enjoyed him, isn't near an AHL team.

For the college game I'd go with Hrkac with Toews in second. My next group would be Patrick/Ward/Bo/C.Murphy/Parise. I'm comfortable with the goaltending so I wouldn't go that route.

This is good stuff, Walsh Hall, and I'm not just saying that because I used to live in you for two years.

Did that sound creepy? That sounds creepy doesn't it?

I forgot about Patrick who was the best D-man to wear the Green and White. I got to know Darren Jensen and I asked him what it was like to have Patrick in front of him and his answer was, "Comforting."

I would not put Ward as high as you, but I like your top 4.