SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Badgers Saturday Night

Sioux-cia

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the (J)(G)enoway's should decide how they want to have their name pronounced. One kid it's a G and the other it's a J?

Kaip should lose his captaincy for that stupid hit. It had the potential to be another Paukovich/Bina incident. If Hakstol doesn't discipline him then he's a woman.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You're funny.

Others have already covered this. Kaip glided from most of the way around the net, and took 2 small strides to set himself up for the hit. Whether the game was almost over or not doesn't matter as 2-3 minutes does not make a 3 goal lead safe. Turris put his head down and left himself wide open for a rocking, which he got. This is probably no more severe a collision than had he been carrying the puck through the neutral zone and been rocked out there. His own speed in that case would have made it worse.

Maybe this was a charge and maybe it wasn't. I don't know the rules but personally I think it's borderline. But it was far from a CFB type hit.

Reminds me of the other Big Ten team in our league. :blush:

I thought the same thing when I watched the vids.

Maybe this was a charge and maybe it wasn't. I don't know the rules but personally I think it's borderline. But it was far from a CFB type hit.

I agree that it wasn't even close to being checking from behind. I've quoted the charging rule below from the 2006-08 NCAA ice hockey rulebook. Note that while it says that a player "shall not skate more than two steps," it also says charging relates to "distance traveled."

As I watch the video, Kaip took maybe two steps. It looks more like one and a half to me. So I don't think the steps he took should factor into it, but the distance he traveled before making the hit might.

Charging

SECTION 6. a. A player shall not skate more than two steps or jump into or

charge an opponent. Charging is the action of a player, who as a result

of distance traveled, checks an opponent violently in any manner from

the front or side.

Note: A fair body check is one in which a player checks an opponent who is in

possession of the puck, by using the hip or body from the front or diagonally

from the front or straight from the side.

Sprig:

Hard to believe you're serious. Naturally, posting here I expect the dullard contingent to come out in force with their brilliantly witty comebacks (by "brilliantly witty" I mean 2nd grade-ish) but the fact is that Kaip paused about 5 ft away from the opposite side of the net; then he saw two bucky players challenging one sioux player for the puck. He picked up his pace and easilty 15 ft before he hit Smith, he could see that he was bent over. If anything, at that point Kaip increased the intensity of his strides to make a bigger hit. Yeah ... fine ... you're supposed to hit hard in hockey. No doubt. But charging is as equally dangerous as checking from behind. It was nothing other than minor circumstance that kept Smith's head from drilling into the ice (which could certainly have caused a neck injury). For you to minimize this the way you've done makes you a far bigger homer than I would have previously imagined. That's all ... I'm just surprised. The rest of my comments aren't directed at you ...

So to address one other point (amongst the other mostly ridiculous replies) ...

The fact that the ref didn't call a 5 min penalty is meaningless. When do the refs get it right? Did they get it right on the Pauko hit? No. Did they get it right on this hit? No. Kaip is an enforcer. Nothing more. In a game where fighting is outlawed he is irrelevant except to a coach (and a fanbase) with a serious inferiority complex. I know you guys think you have an NHL team there in GF but ... psst ... you don't.

I find it ironic that I'm hoping Dirty will show some of this fanbase some maturity.

Hilarious Donald :blush: ................ If your head is up like it is suppose to be then you will see the hit coming!

Perhaps the kid learned a lesson last nite ........ it isn't High School anymore.

Good game last night, except for the fact we had to leave after the first period. My 2 y/o started having a melt down, he was too tired, so we had to bolt. After the two hour ride home, I got home just in time to watch the delayed game (1030p) broadcast on Wisconsin Public Television (didn't listen to the radio on the way home). I recorded it, and posted the fight on youtube...interesting to hear the homer Wisco announcers whine (Ron Vincent I think was his name).

One of the 1st period student chant worthy of reporting: Apparently Lammy didn't bring out his water bottle in the first period. Some of the students caught on (they are right behind him) and started chanting "Where's your water bottle?" (clap, clap, clap clap clap) for a few minutes. This was then followed by "De-hy-dra-tion" (clap, clap, clap clap clap).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9JbOnfG8k

He didn't have a water bottle for the entire game... I can't remember whether or not he did during Friday's night game....

I agree that it wasn't even close to being checking from behind. I've quoted the charging rule below from the 2006-08 NCAA ice hockey rulebook. Note that while it says that a player "shall not skate more than two steps," it also says charging relates to "distance traveled."

As I watch the video, Kaip took maybe two steps. It looks more like one and a half to me. So I don't think the steps he took should factor into it, but the distance he traveled before making the hit might.

Thanks Pat. I was going to look that up later if I had the time. My confusion with "charging" has always been "distance travelled". How do you penalize a guy for skating to the guy with the puck and them hitting him when you get there? If the guy has the puck aren't you supposed to go and get the puck away? Isn't hitting the guy part of the deal? I can see it if the guy is sitting on the glass and you take strides all the way across the ice building up steam and momentum, but Kaip glided at least half way across the width of the ice (remember this is olympic ice too), and IMO only took steps to align himself with the target. Those don't appear to be steps to ratchet up the contact.

That's why I don't understand charging being called in this instance. A few years ago Jack Johnson was called on a similar infraction and everyone called it a dirty hit. He jumped off the bench and took strides half way across the rink, stopped striding and glided the rest of the way and hit the guy on the far boards. What was he supposed to do?

I don't know what Kaip was supposed to do in that scenario.

Dullard has indeed arrived today. Just like skating through center ice with your head down, the Wisco player did everything but hang a sign on him that said, "Hit me, I'm stupid". This was an open ice hit, face to face, with one player having his head down, no boards involved (the Punko hit didn't fit in that category in any way).

Kaip brings a lot to the Sioux lineup in forechecking and toughness, and, scoring in big games. Too bad your team doesn't have that; speaking of inferiority complexes............

Trying to figure out how you got into the teens in posts and still not in the ignore list :blush:

Even the wisco announcer said he needed to keep his head up.

At least the Badger fans are whining about us. All because we speak the truth and they can't handle it. Always have. Always will. :blush:;)

I use the old logic that opinions are like @$$ ____s everyone has one and they all stink. I could care less if people don't like Sioux fans or they think we are unvarnished, or Halo's Big f'n deal.

What; was UND not allowed to win in Madison, how dare the Sioux win or shadow their star player, the one thug Kluberkanz (sp who cares) was hacking Oshie all weekend long. The fact that that the Sioux won may actually finally break the Sioux of the funk they have been in when they play in Madtown, it was a character win.

Funny how when the badgers start playing tough hard nosed competition and the annointed ROY in the WCHA Turris isn't lighting the lamp at an assine rate. Maybe UND needs a few patsies to pad their stats as well...

Is AA in last place yet???

How exactly does my status as a UAA fan have anything to do with my posted judgements/comments regarding the events? Are you so incapable of discussing the issues raised that you resort to this sort of mindlessly ignorant "jibes" (even though "jibe" is a generous word in this context) when you don't have anything useful to add? Or was the desire for inclusion in the Dullard Contingent just too much of a good thing for you to pass up?

I was just reading the uscho board and watched the video and those badger announcers are awful. they are so biased it is unbelievable and I love how the fight was not at all the badgers fault :blush: .

That is what I think it funny also no mention during the game how Oshie got assaulted after he scored his goal. That was total class. I guess the league forgot to read the memo that Turris can't be hit. I also think they were a little premature in anointing him as the Rookie of the year.

Edited by Goon

How exactly does my status as a UAA fan have anything to do with my posted judgements/comments regarding the events? Are you so incapable of discussing the issues raised that you resort to this sort of mindlessly ignorant "jibes" (even though "jibe" is a generous word in this context) when you don't have anything useful to add? Or was the desire for inclusion in the Dullard Contingent just too much of a good thing for you to pass up?

Consider it dummy baiting... And I thinks I gots one... :blush: