SiouxSports.com Forum

Vikings SUCK!

Sioux-cia

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then again the NFL is not like most businesses, I mean they have one of the worst (in terms of benefits to the players) contracts of all the big leagues (its more then just about the money, remember that.)

and yet they still have it better than almost any other profession. The fact the Vikings did this is horse crap, but don't tell me football players have it bad. It's a different situation for the guys who played 30 years ago but I am responsible for my own retirement and benefits, why can't the football players do the same.

and yet they still have it better than almost any other profession. The fact the Vikings did this is horse crap, but don't tell me football players have it bad. It's a different situation for the guys who played 30 years ago but I am responsible for my own retirement and benefits, why can't the football players do the same.

Please don't go there.:angry: If most of us in the white collar, cubicle-slave world of corporate America have access to employer-sponsored 401K plans, then why can't the NFL sponsor retirement plans for its players? And even though NFL players make much more money now than they used to, they have much shorter careers than most of us. Once your body breaks down, you are done. I don't blame players for getting as much as they can while they can get it, particularly given how successful the NFL is. After all, it's the players that people pay money to watch.

I think this is just another example of how Brad Childress is out of touch and simply doesn't get it. If you make a "business decision" like this, then potential future free agents might make a "business decision" to play elsewhere. I hope that the Vikings reverse this because this will hurt them in the long run.

Please don't go there.:blush: If most of us in the white collar, cubicle-slave world of corporate America have access to employer-sponsored 401K plans, then why can't the NFL sponsor retirement plans for its players? And even though NFL players make much more money now than they used to, they have much shorter careers than most of us. Once your body breaks down, you are done. I don't blame players for getting as much as they can while they can get it, particularly given how successful the NFL is. After all, it's the players that people pay money to watch.

I think this is just another example of how Brad Childress is out of touch and simply doesn't get it. If you make a "business decision" like this, then potential future free agents might make a "business decision" to play elsewhere. I hope that the Vikings reverse this because this will hurt them in the long run.

Childress is a horse bleep coach, on the Williamson thing there is a history between him and childress. I think Williamson is going to be gone after the season is gone. Another one of those players that just isn't cutting the mustard and this is another way to begin pushing him out of the organization. I think a kid could be given a little slack on his mother funeral. I am also not a big Williamson fan, I think we wasted a draft pick on this kid...

Childress is a horse bleep coach, on the Williamson thing there is a history between him and childress. I think Williamson is going to be gone after the season is gone. Another one of those players that just isn't cutting the mustard and this is another way to begin pushing him out of the organization. I think a kid could be given a little slack on his mother funeral. I am also not a big Williamson fan, I think we wasted a draft pick on this kid...

I agree with you, Williamson just hasn't worked out. But if you're Childress and you think it's time to move on and get someone else, there are much better ways to do it than docking him one game's salary because he wanted to go to his grandmother's funeral. If Williamson was working for Microsoft instead of the Vikings, I am willing to bet that he would have gotten the time he needed to take care of a family emergency. I always thought that Mike Tice was unprofessional in some of his dealings with players and hoped that Childress would be better in this area. Silly me. :blush:

Bottom Line: This move was unprofessional, pure and simple.

The Vikings (Childress) do the right thing....finally

To shed some more light on the subject, It's the standard NFL players association policy to allow all players 3 days leave for immediate family deaths, this includes wifes, sons, daughters. brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers.

His "Grandmother's funeral was held on Monday...? (TW took 9 Days) Brad Childress was just following policy, set forth by the players association....He has now changed his mind, and went away from association and club policy rules.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1542552.html

Total classless, Childress is probably going to be gone as well if he doesn't do a better job of coaching.

I hope he's retained. His ineptitude is simply laughable.

As for Williamson, it was unprofessional for the Vikes to do what they did. However, what was worse is that they didn't do the right thing and cut his butt after last season.

I don't know what he's like off the field or in practice, but he's worthless on the field.

Please don't go there.:blush: If most of us in the white collar, cubicle-slave world of corporate America have access to employer-sponsored 401K plans, then why can't the NFL sponsor retirement plans for its players? And even though NFL players make much more money now than they used to, they have much shorter careers than most of us. Once your body breaks down, you are done. I don't blame players for getting as much as they can while they can get it, particularly given how successful the NFL is. After all, it's the players that people pay money to watch.

You think NFL players don't get pension! Get a clue, the guys from the past don't get much but current players do pretty well. I put 5 times into my retirement what my employer does, so why can't an NFL player do the same. Most of them also should have a free college education to fall back on, just because somebody retires from the NFL at 30 doesn't mean they shouldn't work in some capacity. I actually watch the football, and talk about players making plays but the players get replaced all the time and it doesn't change me watching or not watching the game. It's hard to justify how a player can earn 15 million dollars in 5 to 10 years (thats a low estimate) and not be able to put some away. I know someone personally who just missed getting the NFL pension because he needed one more game on an active roster. He was only active for 3 or 4 games over 3 years still almost got pension without hardly playing a down.

This is not a Brad Childress decision either, blame the owner and management but the coach didn't have anything to do with this. Clueless!!! ;)

This is not a Brad Childress decision either, blame the owner and management but the coach didn't have anything to do with this. Clueless!!! :blush:

According to the article I read on Saturday, Wilf "urged" the Vikings to reverse the decision that was made regarding Williamson. That suggests that the decision was made by either Childress or someone else in upper management and that Wilf didn't like it and told them to reverse themselves. Wilf obviously didn't like the negative press it was generating and stepped in to stop the bleeding. Wilf is trying to get a new stadium and negative press of any kind won't help him get it. In terms of public relations, the damage has been done. In terms of doing what is right, the Vikings finally got it right.