SiouxSports.com Forum

How would the Sioux fare....

Redneksioux

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Sioux would fare against major junior teams in Canada? Is there a reason we don't schedule an exhibition game against one of those teams instead of the Bisons?

Does a bias exist against the Canadian majors? Probably - from both directions. I doubt that either side wants to promote the other.

And, I think UND would fare very well against the majors. Their big draw is the number of games played, not that they are a better level of competition than US college. Then again, I'm a homer.

I hope you meant "doze". Otherwise, I'd hate to think of how to clean up 11,000 used hypodermic needles after the game! ???

Very funny mikejm!!!

However....................he might mean dose! There would be a lot of us juicin' up after we watched that game!!! It would take our squad half the season to heal up. Ironically that would be par for the last several seasons.

First off, we'd need to dose up in order to make Wild hockey entertaining to watch.

Secondly, we wouldn't fare too badly against the Wild. I don't think we'd win, but we wouldn't lose 9-3 either.

Thirdly, I'd love to see Boogaard play in a league where no fighting would be allowed. Someone say PYLON?

Lastly, I'd love to see the type of exhibition UManitoba got. They got to play an exhibition against an NCAA team (which in translation could mean an exhibition against perhaps a WHL or OHL team) and they got to play the Manitoba Moose. I'd love to see the Sioux play an exhibition against an ECHL or AHL club. If it were remotely possible, I'd say it would have to be Manitoba (AHL) though.

First off, we'd need to dose up in order to make Wild hockey entertaining to watch.

Secondly, we wouldn't fare too badly against the Wild. I don't think we'd win, but we wouldn't lose 9-3 either.

Thirdly, I'd love to see Boogaard play in a league where no fighting would be allowed. Someone say PYLON?

Lastly, I'd love to see the type of exhibition UManitoba got. They got to play an exhibition against an NCAA team (which in translation could mean an exhibition against perhaps a WHL or OHL team) and they got to play the Manitoba Moose. I'd love to see the Sioux play an exhibition against an ECHL or AHL club. If it were remotely possible, I'd say it would have to be Manitoba (AHL) though.

why you hate on boogaard so much? yea he may not have great puck handling skills but he does what is asked of him and thats the bottom line. Every team has a fighter on their team, its apart of hockey. also are you kidding me, the sioux wouldnt fare too badly against the wild?! Lammy would get pulled quicker than he did on sunday if we faced them! yea we may have a couple first round NHLers on our team but that still dont mean s&!t! the sioux would get beat worse than 9-3! How can you say Wild hockey isnt entertaining to watch, just because you dont like to watch it does not mean that it isnt entertaining to everyone else in the state of MN!

1. I watched much of the Wild v Columbus Sat night - the Wild were very entertaining - they swarmed Columbus most of the night.

2. Are you serious??? If we were lucky it would be only 9-3 after 1 period. Actually it would take about a month of games to put 3 goals behind Backstrom/Harding. If you really think the Wild would not dominate the Sioux, you have no clue how good NHL players are. We had 3-4 players stay that could signed NHL contracts and only 1-2 of them would be playing in the NHL and not the minors. If we played against them and the Wild really cared, it would not be close.

3. Just think of Dean Dachyshyn, only taller.

1. I watched much of the Wild v Columbus Sat night - the Wild were very entertaining - they swarmed Columbus most of the night.

2. Are you serious??? If we were lucky it would be only 9-3 after 1 period. Actually it would take about a month of games to put 3 goals behind Backstrom/Harding. If you really think the Wild would not dominate the Sioux, you have no clue how good NHL players are. We had 3-4 players stay that could signed NHL contracts and only 1-2 of them would be playing in the NHL and not the minors. If we played against them and the Wild really cared, it would not be close.

3. Just think of Dean Dachyshyn, only taller.

I was at this game and the 1st and 3rd periods were end to end with the Wild passing brilliantly. The wild used to play a slow style, but that has changed. In the first Dimitra fired a shot between his own legs. Gaborik and Bouchard are as good of skaters as there are in hockey. Koivu is dynamic, Rolston is a sniper, and the Wild passing is among the best in the NHL. Their top 2 line are as good as any in the NHL.

First, maybe the Mild aren't boring to watch anymore. I'll know it when I see it. Thus far, they haven't surprised me.

Second, I don't know how well the Sioux would do against Backstrom. I never claimed UND would win the game. In fact, I think if UND were to win, LeMaire should be fired. I just think that UND could make it more of a game than Manitoba did against us.

Third, it's not just Boogaard. It's every enforcer type player out there who's only ability is fighting. I don't care too much that he can fight and fight well. The fact that that is his ONLY attribute (other than size) makes me dislike him or any enforcer out there. You can't play defense very well? Ok, play offense then. Can't do that either? Just fight? Well, not on my roster. I need a guy who can drop the gloves when need be but also contribute when the gloves do not need dropping. Boogaard isn't one of those types of players.

First, maybe the Mild aren't boring to watch anymore. I'll know it when I see it. Thus far, they haven't surprised me.

Second, I don't know how well the Sioux would do against Backstrom. I never claimed UND would win the game. In fact, I think if UND were to win, LeMaire should be fired. I just think that UND could make it more of a game than Manitoba did against us.

Third, it's not just Boogaard. It's every enforcer type player out there who's only ability is fighting. I don't care too much that he can fight and fight well. The fact that that is his ONLY attribute (other than size) makes me dislike him or any enforcer out there. You can't play defense very well? Ok, play offense then. Can't do that either? Just fight? Well, not on my roster. I need a guy who can drop the gloves when need be but also contribute when the gloves do not need dropping. Boogaard isn't one of those types of players.

Hey Redwing........I think you may have dosed up too much already. You've got to be kidding me if you think we would play the Wild closer than U Manitoba played us.

We've got a couple of players on our team that have the talent to crack their line-up. Other than that we have nobody of the caliber on the Wild team.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Redwing........I think you may have dosed up too much already. You've got to be kidding me if you think we would play the Wild closer than U Manitoba played us.

We've got a couple of players on our team that have the talent to crack their line-up. Other than that we have nobody of the caliber on the Wild team.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree 100%. I'm not picking on Redwing specifically, but this whole thread is pretty embarassing and borders on delusional. It reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live skits where "da Bears" fans talk about "Ditka" beating other teams. The Sioux have a great COLLEGE hockey team and I love the Sioux as much as anyone, but it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that a college team could compete with a pro team. I thought NDSU fans lacked perspective in thinking that their football team could compete in the Big 10, but this takes lunacy to another level.

I agree 100%. I'm not picking on Redwing specifically, but this whole thread is pretty embarassing and borders on delusional. It reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live skits where "da Bears" fans talk about "Ditka" beating other teams. The Sioux have a great COLLEGE hockey team and I love the Sioux as much as anyone, but it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that a college team could compete with a pro team. I thought NDSU fans lacked perspective in thinking that their football team could compete in the Big 10, but this takes lunacy to another level.

ChrisFarleyDaBears.jpg

Unavailable for comment, but I think even Ditka would lose to the Sioux. :lol:

Didn't mean to start a embarassing or delusional thread...just wanted to see if people felt UND could compete against the major junior teams. I was sitting next to a couple Manitoba fans at this weekend's game who told me UND plays a level below the WHL/OHL and I've always thought UND could probably beat most of those teams.

Didn't mean to start a embarassing or delusional thread...just wanted to see if people felt UND could compete against the major junior teams. I was sitting next to a couple Manitoba fans at this weekend's game who told me UND plays a level below the WHL/OHL and I've always thought UND could probably beat most of those teams.

Well, those people haven't got a hot clue. UND would beat any CHL team. That is a given. Not necessarily because of overall talent but because of age and strength.

I'm not sure why this question even gets asked anymore. CHL teams are comprised of 16 to 19 year olds. This year, 1988 born players are in their last year unless they play as an overage player. I think each team is allowed 2 so they may have 2 1987 born players.

UND is comprised of mostly 1985 to 1987 with a few 88's. The 88's for the most part don't play.

As for UND taking on an NHL team, I'm afraid the final score would be double digits at least. Sorry but Lammy would get lit up like a torch.

Well, those people haven't got a hot clue. UND would beat any CHL team. That is a given. Not necessarily because of overall talent but because of age and strength.

I'm not sure why this question even gets asked anymore. CHL teams are comprised of 16 to 19 year olds. This year, 1988 born players are in their last year unless they play as an overage player. I think each team is allowed 2 so they may have 2 1987 born players.

UND is comprised of mostly 1985 to 1987 with a few 88's. The 88's for the most part don't play.

As for UND taking on an NHL team, I'm afraid the final score would be double digits at least. Sorry but Lammy would get lit up like a torch.

Exactly. no way in hell the sioux or any college team could hang with a nhl team. halarious. the size, speed and physical play would kill any college team. we have a few pro ready guys but they wont prime for 3-4 years anyways in the nhl. and thats only a few guys out of 20. not even a debate

My apologies Rednek--your question regarding competing against a major junior team is legitimate. However, somewhere along the line, it denigrated into a thread about the Sioux playing the Minnesota Wild and actually competing. That is what I was referring to.

Major junior versus NCAA hockey is a difficult comparison, because the style of play is so different. Clearly, thry compete from the same talent pool. JT was the number 1 player taken in the WHL bantam draft. Major junior is still the most direct route to the NHL, but NCAA is catching up. Could the Sioux compete against CHL teams? Definitely yes. Would the Sioux dominate CHL teams? Definitely no. Would the Sioux compete with an NHL team? Are you out of your mind?!!!! :lol: THe worst player on an NHL team was a super stud in college or major junior. a 10 goal a year NHL player probably scored 40 in the CHL.

it denigrated into a thread about the Sioux playing the Minnesota Wild and actually competing. That is what I was referring to.

And, of course, the Sioux healthy scratches could beat the Wild, the Bears and two busloads of mini-Ditkas, driven by Ditka. Even this guy admits that.

ChrisFarleyDaBears.jpg

Sure he doesn't do a lot of scoring but the Wild always seem to do much better when he is in the line-up.

From the MN Wild website:

2006-07: Appeared in 48 games and posted one assist during his second NHL season with Minnesota...Totaled 120 PIM to lead the team for the second consecutive season...Minnesota went 29-16-3 in games that he played.

Sure he doesn't do a lot of scoring but the Wild always seem to do much better when he is in the line-up.

From the MN Wild website:

2006-07: Appeared in 48 games and posted one assist during his second NHL season with Minnesota...Totaled 120 PIM to lead the team for the second consecutive season...Minnesota went 29-16-3 in games that he played.

seems like he does something right when he is in the lineup:)