SiouxSports.com Forum

FORCE OF THE NORTH

johnsowe

I would not think so but there is more attention to force of the north than fighting sioux and we are to get a new turf for the football field. it seems that fighing sioux or sioux will not be on it.

The new turf is for the practice field so I don't know why they would spend extra money to put any names on it, Fighting Sioux or otherwise.

I would not think so but there is more attention to force of the north than fighting sioux and we are to get a new turf for the football field. it seems that fighing sioux or sioux will not be on it.

since it is a marketing slogan, it makes sense that there would be attention on it. I don't think that it would be a new nickname, because I doubt that the SBoHE would be allowing the lawsuit if they were going to make UND change the name right afterward.

• 1 month later...

The new turf is for the practice field so I don't know why they would spend extra money to put any names on it, Fighting Sioux or otherwise.

why would it? it's a practice field...went by tonight and you can see the "ND" logo at midfield - now we can let all the Notre Dame fans pile on...go ahead...we're used to it! :)

why would it? it's a practice field...went by tonight and you can see the "ND" logo at midfield - now we can let all the Notre Dame fans pile on...go ahead...we're used to it! :)

The interlocking ND at midfield looks badass, I also noticed when I drove by last night that you can see the words "Fighting Sioux" underneath the ND. Hopefully that keeps the winless Irish off our backs. Sell out the AL!!! GO SIOUX!!

• 3 weeks later...

It isn't "a potential new nickname." It's a marketing slogan.

Why is it that when NDSU refers to its athletic teams as "the thundering herd," we don't assume that a marketing slogan is about to replace the Bison nickname?

Why is it that when NDSU refers to its athletic teams as "the thundering herd," we don't assume that a marketing slogan is about to replace the Bison nickname?

I've always called them "The Blundering Turd". Are you saying I've been wrong all these years? :lol::lol: That would explain those hurt looks I've seen in Fargo, and the occasional brawl ... :lol:

Sorry about the confusion...I don't believe UND is replacing our logo/name with "Force of the North." I just wanted to point out that Mr. Blais wouldn't allow the Fargo hockey team (currently coaching) to take on a name that some believe UND (his former team) may adopt. In other words Dean is ok with the Fargo Force because he knows UND is only using it as a marketing slogan.

I do remember the football team using the phrase "Force of the North" with a picture taken in front of an Air Force Jet back in the late 80s or early 90s. So this term has been around for quite some time. I remember seeing it around the athletic offises quite abit. I just can't remember the correct year but it was indeed from 1988-1992. So this term is nothing new.

The interlocking ND at midfield looks badass, I also noticed when I drove by last night that you can see the words "Fighting Sioux" underneath the ND. Hopefully that keeps the winless Irish off our backs. Sell out the AL!!! GO SIOUX!!

Are you sure it says "Fighting Sioux" on it? I see "North Dakota." Bye the way, thanks to the poster who posted the picture.