SiouxSports.com Forum

A 12-Team WCHA

Shawn-O

So in order to play @ BSU, UMTC would likely have to get a waiver from their own athletic department! Gee, sure sounds like an impenetrable barrier to me.

Actually it IS an impenetratable barrier. The UM Athletic Department (aka. Joel Maturi) does not allow the hockey team to travel for ANY games, other WCHA games, or post season games. Stupid ?? Yes. But it is done, according to Maturi, to help balance the budget, which takes a huge hit in football, and in past years, bouncy ball.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it IS an impenetratable barrier. The UM Athletic Department (aka. Joel Maturi) does not allow the hockey team to travel for ANY games, other WCHA games, or post season games. Stupid ?? Yes. But it is done, according to Maturi, to help balance the budget, which takes a huge hit in football, and in past years, bouncy ball.

How much impact did building a second hockey arena on campus affect Minnesota's budget?

How much impact did building a second hockey arena on campus affect Minnesota's budget?

That was just plain stupid !! But, because of the day and age that we live in, that became a "gender equality" issue. Technically, Ridder Arena is the womens hockey arena............but beleive me, I hear what your saying !!

That was just plain stupid !! But, because of the day and age that we live in, that became a "gender equality" issue. Technically, Ridder Arena is the womens hockey arena............but beleive me, I hear what your saying !!

It's the only women's program in the country with its own arena. Even UConn women's basketball shares its court with the men. But not in Minnesota, that's not good enough. Can anyone recall the cost to build? UMD can't get a new arena to save its life without the city of Duluth ponying up for it, but we can build a separate women's facility at the almighty 'U'. :D

I guess my main point was more to the point of Mazzocco and Woog making it look like the gophers would be doing Bemidji a big favor by playing them, when in fact they haven't bent over backwards to this point. Schedule who you want, but don't make it seem like a noble gesture, when in fact you will be benefitting just as much by scheduling them at that point.

what a embarrasing thing to read, wow. i always wondered why the gophs never go out east to take on bc, unh ect..or michigan or much st in their barns and im not talking about tourneys. this sums a lot of questions up for me why gophers neevr go play non wcha games anywhere. its always tourneys at the X or mariucci tourneys when they play michigan or bc or the tourney in michigan some years. what a joke.

I guess my main point was more to the point of Mazzocco and Woog making it look like the gophers would be doing Bemidji a big favor by playing them, when in fact they haven't bent over backwards to this point. Schedule who you want, but don't make it seem like a noble gesture, when in fact you will be benefitting just as much by scheduling them at that point.

They will build a third hockey arena on the U of M campus before spending a single taxpayer nickel to assist with putting one in Bemidji. :D

what a embarrasing thing to read, wow. i always wondered why the gophs never go out east to take on bc, unh ect..or michigan or much st in their barns and im not talking about tourneys. this sums a lot of questions up for me why gophers neevr go play non wcha games anywhere. its always tourneys at the X or mariucci tourneys when they play michigan or bc or the tourney in michigan some years. what a joke.

Counldn't agree more, it is embarrassing. The only exception is the College Hockey Showcase over the Thankgiving week-end against Michigan and Michigan State, where they only have travel every other year.

Counldn't agree more, it is embarrassing. The only exception is the College Hockey Showcase over the Thankgiving week-end against Michigan and Michigan State, where they only have travel every other year.

yeah i mentioned that. when did this start or has it always been that way? just wondering. i think going and play the big boys on the road out of conference only wll make you stronger come tourney time on the road.

i see the last big road series the gophers went to play was boston u in 2004-05 which is the last time they made the frozen 4.....

2002-03 went to UNH and won the title that season

EXACTLY :D

It's the only women's program in the country with its own arena. Even UConn women's basketball shares its court with the men. But not in Minnesota, that's not good enough. Can anyone recall the cost to build? UMD can't get a new arena to save its life without the city of Duluth ponying up for it, but we can build a separate women's facility at the almighty 'U'. :D

I'll let someone else look it up but I think I've read/heard that Ridder was built with donations.

Gopher athletics need help to balance the budget??? Please. The Athletic Department is completely self sufficient. If they need to pinch pennies because of their multi-million dollar football and basketbal coaches, I guess that might make sense. My understanding is that U of MN athletics always operates well in the black. It is public record too. You just have to dig.

Gopher athletics need help to balance the budget??? Please. The Athletic Department is completely self sufficient. If they need to pinch pennies because of their multi-million dollar football and basketbal coaches, I guess that might make sense. My understanding is that U of MN athletics always operates well in the black. It is public record too. You just have to dig.

if UND was a division one school , the fans might just realize how expensive all those non-revenue sports are, and how many fairly unpopular decisions will be made to either save money, or make money.

if UND was a division one school , the fans might just realize how expensive all those non-revenue sports are, and how many fairly unpopular decisions will be made to either save money, or make money.

so are the gophes the only hockey team in the nation that rarely goes on non conference hockey trips? just wondering seriously as i cant imagine other programs do this as well. seems a bit strange overall not to go on 1 or 2 non conference trips a year out east or midwest. its not like they would have to do it 4 times a year. 1 or 2 good trips could do a wonder especially is its vs top teams.

so are the gophes the only hockey team in the nation that rarely goes on non conference hockey trips? just wondering seriously as i cant imagine other programs do this as well. seems a bit strange overall not to go on 1 or 2 non conference trips a year out east or midwest. its not like they would have to do it 4 times a year. 1 or 2 good trips could do a wonder especially is its vs top teams.

This is an un-researched guess - - Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin. (Pattern here...?...)

This is an un-researched guess - - Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin. (Pattern here...?...)

Never looked at that before, but you are dead on. I just looked at this schedules for all of the 5 Big Ten schools that have D1 hockey, and Ohio State went to Minnesota earlier this year, and thats it. You have to remember that most place, hockey does NOT generate. Football and basketball are the sole sources of income for most athletic departments (outside of donations), so in order for a athletic department to operate in the black, these 2 sports must support x amount of other non-revenue generating sports, and that is VERY tough thing to do.

Who wouldn't want to play more home games if you can get away with it. I certainly would like to see the Sioux at home more. I don't know if Minnesota offered to play Bemidji in Minneapolis or not, but I would find it hard to believe that Bemidji would turn that opportunity down if it was given to them.

• 11 months later...
The WCHA will not add more league games until the NCAA allows more overall games. And, I agree, that is unlikely to ever happen.

If we could add more games, I'd be okay with expansion. But until then, I'm against expansion.

The super powers of the WCHA should agree to reduce the quantity of league games. As a trade off for allowing expansion and less share of the Final Five proceeds, I'd much prefer the Gophers to get three extra non-conference series per year. With my three extra weekends, I'd schedule an extra pair with UND, UW and have a mini-state tourney as well.

Nobody emphasizes the McNaughton cup anymore either, why throw away extra weekends with all these late arrivals.

The difference between a 28 game league schedule and a 22 game league schedule just doesn't matter enough to me.

The super powers of the WCHA should agree to reduce the quantity of league games. As a trade off for allowing expansion and less share of the Final Five proceeds, I'd much prefer the Gophers to get three extra non-conference series per year. With my three extra weekends, I'd schedule an extra pair with UND, UW and have a mini-state tourney as well.

Nobody emphasizes the McNaughton cup anymore either, why throw away extra weekends with all these late arrivals.

The difference between a 28 game league schedule and a 22 game league schedule just doesn't matter enough to me.

UM will not schedule UND in any non-conference games due to UND's nickname. But it's probably moot because UND will likely have dropped its nickname by the time expansion takes effect. Nickname aside, I'm not sold UM would consistently schedule home-and-home non-conference games with UND.

But if it could ever be worked out, your idea is pretty good (given the alternatives).

I dunno. I would think making trips to BC, BU, Michigan, etc. would be a good recruiting tool.

Maybe if Minnesota recruited those area, but we know they don't. Minnesota plays Michigan and Michigan State every year. They rotate the home ice. The Gophers usually have one other OOC road trip every other year. 2006-07 play at Ohio State 2 games. 2004-05 played at Alaska, played U Mass. and Anchorage. 2003-04 they played at Omaha and played Maine and Omaha. 2002-03 play 2 at New Hampshire. It all comes down to the money. The Gophers have about 22 Div. one sports and they have three sports that make a profit and womens basketball that just about breaks even. Maturi is not going to give up very many home games to play home and home series with teams when the Gophers can stay home and sell 10,000 tickets at #35 each. Playing in the big ten is not cheap. Hopefully the football team will someday be good. They might then be able to expand the new stadium to around 70,000 seats and if that happens then the budget pressure will not be there and the Hockey team might just schedule a few more OOC road game. Maybe the bad case scenario will happen and there might someday be a Big 10 Hockey Conf. and then UND will be looking to schedule Minnesota home and home every other year. Not saying it will happen and not saying it's out of the question. I am not sure how it would be handled if Penn State or Illinois ever went Div. 1 Hockey. Something to think about though as college Hockey evolves.

Maybe if Minnesota recruited those area, but we know they don't. Minnesota plays Michigan and Michigan State every year. They rotate the home ice. The Gophers usually have one other OOC road trip every other year. 2006-07 play at Ohio State 2 games. 2004-05 played at Alaska, played U Mass. and Anchorage. 2003-04 they played at Omaha and played Maine and Omaha. 2002-03 play 2 at New Hampshire. It all comes down to the money. The Gophers have about 22 Div. one sports and they have three sports that make a profit and womens basketball that just about breaks even. Maturi is not going to give up very many home games to play home and home series with teams when the Gophers can stay home and sell 10,000 tickets at #35 each. Playing in the big ten is not cheap. Hopefully the football team will someday be good. They might then be able to expand the new stadium to around 70,000 seats and if that happens then the budget pressure will not be there and the Hockey team might just schedule a few more OOC road game. Maybe the bad case scenario will happen and there might someday be a Big 10 Hockey Conf. and then UND will be looking to schedule Minnesota home and home every other year. Not saying it will happen and not saying it's out of the question. I am not sure how it would be handled if Penn State or Illinois ever went Div. 1 Hockey. Something to think about though as college Hockey evolves.

As a Sioux fan I would like to see Bemidji State added to the WCHA. BSU and UND have worked together in the past to both schools' mutual benefit. UND needs to hlep out a brother in need. NCAA Division I hockey needs it. Bemidji State has proven it long ago belonged in Division I hockey. I enjoyed the post going back to UND's playing in a quonset hut along with the subsequent construction of Engelstad I and Engelstad II. The Big Ten will do what it wants regardless of what UND may think or want. We need to take care of our own. We need to help BSU maintain a quality Divison I men's hockey program. Remember, the BSU women's hockey program is already a member of the WCHA. What we need to do is to look at the long-range implications. Don't leave a vibrant Divison I hockey program out in the cold. BSU has proven it belongs. Admit BSU to the WCHA men's league as well.