SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and USD to join the GWFC in 2008

SloStang

Welcome to the top conference in the FCS/I-AA. I am looking forward to seeing UND and USD on the schedule in 2008.

http://greatwestfootball.cstv.com/sports/m.../080207aaf.html

While this may not be a permanent home, it is sure nice to have a conference. Hopefully the GWFC will only get better. It will be an exciting season next year.

While this may not be a permanent home, it is sure nice to have a conference. Hopefully the GWFC will only get better. It will be an exciting season next year.

I do not know. The GWFC/Summit League could be a nice permanent home. The Summit League runs the GWFC. Being in the GWFC may help UND find a home for their other sports in the Summit League.

I do not know. The GWFC/Summit League could be a nice permanent home. The Summit League runs the GWFC. Being in the GWFC may help UND find a home for their other sports in the Summit League.

That is certainly a possibility and this scenario was alluded to by Tom Buning (UND Athletic Director). You can hear his comments by following the links...HERE.

What is the difference between the Great West Football conference and the Gateway football conference? AND do teams on different conferences play against each other?

Nine teams vs five teams (would have been seven with the addition of UND and USD) and auto bid vs non auto bid.

What is the difference between the Great West Football conference and the Gateway football conference? AND do teams on different conferences play against each other?

The difference is one AUTOBID...the Gateway has it and the GWFC does not.

I've Googled it but can't find the definition for autobid. :blush:

The Gateway Conference Champion receives an automatic bid (autobid) to the FCS playoffs. The GWFC is not yet eligible for an "autobid". For a GWFC team to make the playoffs they must be playoff eligible and selected at large to receive a playoff bid. The Gateway Conference Champion could theoretically have a mediocre record like 7-4 or 6-5 and still make the playoffs while an at large bid would require a much more impressive record to garner committee selection. To put it simply...win the Gateway Conference outright and you move on. In the GWFC...win your conference outright and wait for a committee to select you.

Dale says the 2008 schedule is to be released shortly? That makes me think there has been negotiations in place for some time now. Hope its here soon.

I'm super excited about this development, because I live in CA, and I have not seen a UND football game for several seasons. Now, I know I'll have the chance to see at least one game a year!

Also, recruiting can't be hurt by the fact that the team gets to travel to CA every season. Cal Poly is not far from the ocean, although Davis is landlocked between San Fran & Sacramento.

I understand that most of this has already been answered, but I thought I'd condense it to a single post. As a NDSU alumnus, I'm a bit partial to the Gateway so forgive any bias.

Great West(2008) vs. Gateway(2008)

5 teams vs. 9 teams

4 games vs. 8 games

CA/UT/ND/SD vs. IL/IA/MO/OH/IN/ND/SD

no autobid vs. autobid

run by Summit League vs. run by Missouri Valley Conference

considered the 4th or 5th best conference by most vs. considered a top-three conference by most

That last one is somewhat subjective, but not the rest. Teams do play against members from other conferences(just like UND is doing this year with Southern Utah and Humboldt State), but if you're wondering if the Nickel Game will be resumed, that's a good question. With the current 11-game season, NDSU will have a pretty full schedule(8 Gateway games + 1 FBS "money" game). With only two slots remaining most seasons, it's unclear whether Talyor/Bohl will want to tie one of them up with a rotating Fargo/Grand Forks UND game. To complicate matters, 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2019 will be 12-game seasons because of how the dates fall and there is a push within FCS to move to a permanent 12-game season to match FBS. My take: If FCS moves to a 12-game season, the Nickel Game will resume; if not, a <20% chance with the exception of playoff meetings.

Also, autobid is slang for automatic qualifier(AQ). The two terms are synonymous, but the NCAA uses only the latter. Most fans use 'autobid' because it's easier to say and a lot quicker to type. The problem for the Great West is that there are only eight autobids possible with the current 16-seed tournament format and they are all spoken for even if the GWFC manages to get to six active members.

With only two slots remaining most seasons, it's unclear whether Talyor/Bohl will want to tie one of them up with a rotating Fargo/Grand Forks UND game.

Will Taylor want to tie up the Fargodome to the tune of 19.5k sold out STO one year and then have the cheapest travel possible for the team and fans the next year, not to mention restarting one of the longest played and greatest rivalries in football at any division?

I think you're right, it's unclear if he's prepared to make that kind of sacrifice.

Congrats to UND on finding the first piece of the DI conference puzzle!

I wouldn't be suprised if UND/USD have an invite from the Summit in a couple years.

I understand that most of this has already been answered, but I thought I'd condense it to a single post. As a NDSU alumnus, I'm a bit partial to the Gateway so forgive any bias.

Great West(2008) vs. Gateway(2008)

5 teams vs. 9 teams

4 games vs. 8 games

CA/UT/ND/SD vs. IL/IA/MO/OH/IN/ND/SD

no autobid vs. autobid

run by Summit League vs. run by Missouri Valley Conference

considered the 4th or 5th best conference by most vs. considered a top-three conference by most

That last one is somewhat subjective, but not the rest. Teams do play against members from other conferences(just like UND is doing this year with Southern Utah and Humboldt State), but if you're wondering if the Nickel Game will be resumed, that's a good question. With the current 11-game season, NDSU will have a pretty full schedule(8 Gateway games + 1 FBS "money" game). With only two slots remaining most seasons, it's unclear whether Talyor/Bohl will want to tie one of them up with a rotating Fargo/Grand Forks UND game. To complicate matters, 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2019 will be 12-game seasons because of how the dates fall and there is a push within FCS to move to a permanent 12-game season to match FBS. My take: If FCS moves to a 12-game season, the Nickel Game will resume; if not, a <20% chance with the exception of playoff meetings.

Also, autobid is slang for automatic qualifier(AQ). The two terms are synonymous, but the NCAA uses only the latter. Most fans use 'autobid' because it's easier to say and a lot quicker to type. The problem for the Great West is that there are only eight autobids possible with the current 16-seed tournament format and they are all spoken for even if the GWFC manages to get to six active members.

The twelve game season push might be prevented by the current push for expanding the FCS playoffs. It could also help gain enough playoff spots to add an autobid for the Big South and GWFC once it qualifies. DI rules dictate that a minimum of 50% of the playoff field must be at-large selections.

I agree, if the GWFC can find some more members. I think the Great West was the #1 ranked conference in the nation last year,the addition of UND and USD will provide for strength into the future. Congratulations to the Sioux, and Coyotes! And hopefully someday soon we'll see you on the field.

Will Taylor want to tie up the Fargodome to the tune of 19.5k sold out STO one year and then have the cheapest travel possible for the team and fans the next year, not to mention restarting one of the longest played and greatest rivalries in football at any division?

I think you're right, it's unclear if he's prepared to make that kind of sacrifice.

we'll soon have that if not this year but the next. SELL OUT ERA. und i'm sure will have that same sell out era as soon as tey settle into FCS so neither team will desperately need each other. last season's SDSU game packed a punch as well. :blush: